• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Yellowstone' Hits New Rating Highs In Season 2 Finale
Paramount Network's ratings record-breaking drama series Yellowstone ended its second season in style, with its finale setting several new series highs in several categories, including total viewers, averaging 5.7 million viewers in Live+3, P18-34 (1.37 rating) and W18-49 (2.26).

The Kevin Costner-starring Yellowstone, from co-creator/executive producer Taylor Sheridan, ranks as the top cable series this summer in total viewers (5.1 million average); as well as the #1 scripted series in P18-49 (1.93 rating) and P25-54 (2.71 rating) in cable and broadcast. In Season 2, Yellowstone was up double digits from its highly rated first season. In addition to the record-breaking linear performance, Yellowstone also set a new series benchmark on digital with over 66 million views across platforms, up +145% vs. season one.
A bunch more stats/PR from Paramount via the link to the Deadline article.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Earthsea' TV Series Based On Fantasy Books In The Works By A24 & Jennifer Fox
A24 and Oscar-nominated producer Jennifer Fox (Michael Clayton, Nightcrawler) are teaming to develop Ursula Le Guin's acclaimed Earthsea fantasy books for television. A24 is the studio and will finance the TV series project, which will be shopped to networks soon. Fox is producing.

Fox originally optioned the book series in 2018. Le Guin had given the producer her blessing to turn her work into a series of films before she passed away in January 2018. The adaptation has since been reenvisioned as a television series. An Earthsea miniseries based on the book series, with the teleplay co-written by Le Guin, aired on Sci-Fi Channel in 2004.

The Earthsea books are an introspective fantasy series that Le Guin began in 1968, with the publication of book one, A Wizard of Earthsea, and finished in 2017, with the final short story "Firelight" published in 2018 in The Paris Review.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Murphy sets his next couple of projects at Netflix.
  • 10-episode "A Chorus Line" mini-series.
  • Miniseries on fashion designer Halston, with Ewan Macgregor attached.
  • Andy Warhol docu-series
  • A potential show about Marlene Dietrich in the 60s, with Jessica Lange
  • a docuseries about the most stylish people in the world
  • A Secret Love, the story of a closeted lesbian couple who came out in their 80s.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
  • A Secret Love, the story of a closeted lesbian couple who came out in their 80s.

I would love Ryan Murphy to adapt all the Broadway musicals. Bless Netflix, Disney+ will never do that.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I really like the older guy in Mindhunter (I mean, I like both) and I don't think I've ever seen him in anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by this and Shonda Rimes' slate, when given a huge Netflix deal creators first instinct is to dive into their "rejected" pile for ideas so un-commercial they would never ever get greenlit anywhere else.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Grace and Frankie ending with a 16 episode season 7 (the upcoming season is 6).

fb75b58f7688156e235cff4834b7b5a7.gif

tumblr_no1g3whn8C1tp719lo3_400.gif

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If you told me at the time that Grace and Frankie would be one of their longer running shows, I would not have believed you.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by this and Shonda Rimes' slate, when given a huge Netflix deal creators first instinct is to dive into their "rejected" pile for ideas so un-commercial they would never ever get greenlit anywhere else.
Yup. I honestly don't know why Netflix allows it. I guess they're deluded into thinking if they let them do whatever they'll eventually get their own Grey's Anatomy or American Horror Story... But they won't.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
LA Times: Behind the scenes, women in TV are still vastly underrepresented, study says
For the 2018-19 season, 96% of TV programs had no women directors of photography; 79% had no women directors; 77% had no women editors; and 77% had no women creators.

As a number of female-fronted TV shows, including "Veep" and "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," vie for Emmys later this month, a study released Wednesday finds that "historic highs" for women in television still leave them vastly underrepresented in key behind-the-scenes roles.

Women composed 45% of all major characters in comedies, dramas and reality programs across TV (broadcast, cable and streaming platforms) in 2018-19 — an increase of 5 percentage points from the previous year, according to the annual "Boxed In" study conducted by San Diego State University's Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film.

Meanwhile, women constituted 31% of all creators, writers, directors, executive producers, producers, editors and directors of photography, besting the previous high of 28% in 2016-17.
More via the link.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problem is that there's just actually less women in the hiring pool for these positions. Women are very much in demand right now (over men) for just about everything, to the point where the majority of them in the industry (both with experience, and those with barely any) are not really having a hard time finding jobs. Compared to the amount of men though, that isn't an equal percentage.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I didn't realize the Canadian network CTV will be airing L.A.'s Finest this fall on Friday nights. Other than the filming issues, how did the first season turn out?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I know that for thread purposes its the same, but I still think it's weird we equate a series ending with being cancelled.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problem is that there's just actually less women in the hiring pool for these positions. Women are very much in demand right now (over men) for just about everything, to the point where the majority of them in the industry (both with experience, and those with barely any) are not really having a hard time finding jobs. Compared to the amount of men though, that isn't an equal percentage.
It's a self-made problem based on not giving women the same opportunities at lower level jobs, treating them like shit even if they get them, and then passing them up for advancement (or even continued work) in favor of mediocre men who don't 'rock the boat.'

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): sexist rhetoric
It's a self-made problem based on not giving women the same opportunities at lower level jobs, treating them like shit even if they get them, and then passing them up for advancement (or even continued work) in favor of mediocre men who don't 'rock the boat.'
While it may have been "self-made" in the past, that's absolutely not happening in the industry of today. There are a shitload of mediocre women who are being advanced at a rapid pace to fill these higher positions where previously the pool was astronomically small. I have several younger male friends who are still stuck as Writer's Assistants while their female peers are already at the co-producer or supervising producer level.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it may have been "self-made" in the past, that's absolutely not happening in the industry of today. There are a shitload of mediocre women who are being advanced at a rapid pace to fill these higher positions where previously the pool was astronomically small. I have several younger male friends who are still stuck as Writer's Assistants while their female peers are already at the co-producer or supervising producer level.

source.gif

Hey just a thought but maybe it's your dude friends that are mediocre

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Reverse racism!

Brilliant title btw

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Is Grace and Frankie good btw? Don't think I've ever seen anyone around these parts talk about it.

what about Peaky Blinders? I think RatskyWatsky is a fan of that one.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is that I wish that were what I was seeing in my peer group. The only men I see failing to maintain work or advance are those who feel so entitled that they make wild demands and don't put in any effort. Women (and minorities), on average, have to tolerate and surmount far more obstacles to get anywhere than others. Men don't get berated to tears and lectured about stomping on a showrunner's freedom of speech for daring to suggest the room not constantly use "bitch" as the default insult on a show.

Also, if TV producers have to elevate some women faster or further than merited to fill out the staffs of all the women-targeted programs out there or to balance rooms, I don't see the problem. At its worst it's just equal opportunity hiring in an industry that isn't particularly merit-based. Something something 'when you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.' I'm not very sympathetic to the people suddenly clutching their pearls over screenwriting not being a meritocracy when it's the very system that previously benefited them and their mentors. "Why can't I catch a break when all these women are selling pilots or advancing" screams the mediocre showrunner who only got anywhere due to connections, has never created anything original, and been shielded by their bosses for sexist and racist behavior. I see and hear that shit all the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Is Grace and Frankie good btw? Don't think I've ever seen anyone around these parts talk about it.

Someone here told me it was really good. So I watched a season. It wasn't good. It wasn't awful. It just kinda exists, which ultimately for me means it's unwatchable because I have no interest in watching a comedy that barely if ever makes me laugh even a little.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Grace and Frankie ending with a 16 episode season 7 (the upcoming season is 6).

Yess Grace and Frankie getting the ending it deserves <3

Me and Hours Left mention it all the time

It's great!

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I watched the first two seasons and it's alright. There was one episode in season 1 that was complete filler and I almost wanted to quit the series right there and then, but thankfully I don't think they've had any more episodes like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.