• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I figured they would push forward HBO's name in the forefront. That is a lot of content though, and I really wonder how much of Hulu content will get pulled to go on the service? I have Hulu w/HBO as well as a separate Crunchyroll sub, so it might be something looking into... I'm still surprised that Fresh Prince never made its way over to Hulu, either!

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I know this has been asked before but has there been any word on a Cloak & Dagger renewal? If not, when does Freeform typically make announcements like that?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I guess that means that I can cancel my Crunchyroll and HBO Now membership by then?
I figured they would push forward HBO's name in the forefront. That is a lot of content though, and I really wonder how much of Hulu content will get pulled to go on the service? I have Hulu w/HBO as well as a separate Crunchyroll sub, so it might be something looking into... I'm still surprised that Fresh Prince never made its way over to Hulu, either!

Blame WB/TBS for that. There's a lot of TBS shows, old and new, that aren't streaming.

I am kind of disappointed that they're seriously going with the HBO name, since "HBO" already has a certain attachment to it. Although I guess we should've seen this coming ever since HBO acquired the first-to-air rights of Sesame Street. It's clear that WB wants to attract a very wide audience like Disney+ will. I still think they should've gone with a different name, like WarnerMedia Streaming or WBTV (that one hasn't been used in a long time).

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I know this has been asked before but has there been any word on a Cloak & Dagger renewal? If not, when does Freeform typically make announcements like that?

Not yet. I'm not sure the timetable for when Freeform makes announcements on renewals, but Comic-Con is coming up soon. Not sure if the show will have a panel there, but that might be a potential opportunity for an announcement.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Didn't see it in the press release, but I hope Cinemax shows are folded into the service as well. It would be nice to see shows like Jett, Warrior, Banshee, The Knick get more exposure from people who might not subscribe to Cinemax proper.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Didn't see it in the press release, but I hope Cinemax shows are folded into the service as well. It would be nice to see shows like Jett, Warrior, Banshee, The Knick get more exposure from people who might not subscribe to Cinemax proper.

Yes. Banshee is one of the best shows that almost nobody saw. It's also on Amazon Prime last I checked, first 3 of the 4 total seasons.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Nicole Kidman to Produce Drama Series 'Crime Farm' in Development at WarnerMedia Streaming

WarerMedia's streaming service is developing a drama series titled "Crime Farm" with Nicole Kidman attached to executive produce, Variety has learned.

The series is described as a psychosexual love story that follows Selma and Richard Eikelenboom, forensic homicide experts whose marriage thrives on their all-consuming investigations into the depravity of the world's most notorious criminals. As a seminal case upends the paradigm of their relationship, their unique, unconventional and sometimes dangerous arrangement stretches the boundaries of marriage and science to the limit.
Janine Sherman Barrois, the showrunner on the TNT series "Claws," is attached to write and executive produce. Kidman will executive produce alongside Per Saari under their Blossom Films banner. Warner Horizon Scripted Television is the studio.

Also, Berlanti and Reese Witherspoon are producing movies for the streaming service

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently IMDB is making original series...

Deadline said:
IMDb announced its first-ever scripted series You're Not a Monster featuring the voices of Kelsey Grammer, Eric Stonestreet, Aparna Nancherla, Ellie Kemper, Patton Oswalt and others. The animated series is set to premiere this fall, but IMDb will give a sneak peek of the new show featuring iconic movie monsters at Comic-Con later this month.

You're Not a Monster shows that even movie monsters have emotional issues — because the only thing worse than being undead is being unloved. In the series, Grammer will take a seat in the therapist chair for the first time since his Frasier days as former psychiatrist-turned-vampire who mentors his great-great grandson Max (Stonestreet), a therapist who has inherited his practice.

Each episode will be four to five minutes and will feature Max treating familiar faces in the movie monster world including Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and Medusa as they seek desperately needed therapeutic help.

I guess?

These numbers don't really tell us a lot, don't they? With Netflix's business model a series with less viewers but many of them being new subscribers would be more advantegous than a series which is watched by many but all of them being customers that have been around for a while and exactly what makes people retain their subscription is hard to gauge.

Right, Netflix has all sorts of metrics for gauging success, but I meant overall - at least 18 million people watching an entire season in 4 days is really impressive when compared to the L+3 or L+7 data we have for traditional networks. It's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, to say the least, but still.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings. AGT and baseball win the night:

Fast-Demo-2019-July-09.TUE_.png

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair S3 filmed a year ago. If they film S4 this fall and set it in '87 then they should be pretty well aligned again.

The time gap between S1 and S2 was close to the real airing time between them. It's S3 that's the oddball- only 8 months of story time passed while it's been 20 months of real time. Kind of surprised they didn't set it in '86. There really was no reason it needed to be set in '85.

I am only one episode on S3, but aside of the release date of products/movies in 1985, Chernobyl happened in 1986 and it started the fall of Soviet Union, that would impact the events.

Nov 1, 2017
I just got to that scene in The Crossing episode of Person of Interest.

I knew that Carter was going to die, but I didn't know the episode or the circumstances of it. It seems like this was the plan on how the actress wanted to go, though I saw a recent file stating that she was miserable when she was working there. Also, was I the only one who thought the Reese kiss was out of character for him? I always figured he only had one true love in his life.

In more encouraging news, that Root/Shaw teamup a few episodes back was bonkers and my favorite episodes so far.

I can't blame Taraji for being unhappy at POI tbh. Because she's the only competent cop character, she gets stuck with all the standard boring CBS procedural stuff and 90% of her dialogue is dry exposition. They don't even really begin fleshing out her character until halfway through season 2.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Bring the Funny debuts to a solid start. America's latest coping of British television had a... less than solid start. Blood and Treasure meanwhile looks suck already.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Lengthy weekend magazine feature. Haven't read through this yet, but will get to it later.

NYT: The Great Race to Rule Streaming TV

It was really long, sorta sped-read through most of it.

Quibi was mentioned and I've been hearing more news about it lately. Just the whole concept of high quality entertainment on the phone isn't really for me. Don't ever think I've watched a TV show on my phone, mostly use it for YouTube, trailers, clips. I'm sure people who commute on buses, subway, might use it more. Still I would never want to watch something like GOT on my phone if I wasn't forced to.

Apple+ seems quiet. HBO Max doesn't launch until 2020, but it seems like I have a better idea of their lineup. There's still time before fall, but they've dropped 2 trailers (Another Life, Videogame comedy) in total.

I still have the most faith in Netflix going forward in producing the type of content I want personally.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
WTF is Love Island doing leading Big Brother? Was CBS that certain it would be a hit?

Also... Jane the Virgin is actually beating the 100 in ratings. Didn't see that coming.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I'm more excited for 90210 I'm in season 6 can't wait for the reboot.

Thought Tiffini should be apart of the reboot

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Technically wasn't the original cartoon for adult audiences on primetime? For this though, I'm curious....
Yes, it was, at least for the first couple seasons.

I kinda think a new take on The Jetsons would be much more relevant to the current climate, however. You know, if you have to do this sort of IP revival.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I haven't been a huge fan of the whole reboot/remake trend going on in entertainment right now, the Flintstones kinda does sound cool.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bold move by the cast, but I think Netflix needs to show them the metrics to give them so perspective on viewership. "Stranger Things" and "13 Reasons Why" were hits so big that they entered the zeitgeist, while "On My Block" doesn't seem have that same level of impact.

I'm all for pay parity, but I don't know if the series merits such a big pay day.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda think a new take on The Jetsons would be much more relevant to the current climate, however. You know, if you have to do this sort of IP revival.

I was never a fan of The Jetsons. I think I just wasn't a fan of the 60's vision of the future with all its globes and pointy edge-aesthetics. I'm not sure how that could really be modernized, especially since we have Futurama... ok, the aestetics are kinda similar but... refined, I guess? Plus it's Futurama.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The less said about Gazoo the better!

I was never a fan of The Jetsons. I think I just wasn't a fan of the 60's vision of the future with all its globes and pointy edge-aesthetics. I'm not sure how that could really be modernized, especially since we have Futurama... ok, the aestetics are kinda similar but... refined, I guess? Plus it's Futurama.
I don't think those shows are that similar beyond taking place in the future. One's more of a family sitcom while the other delves in workplace dynamics and adventures.

I'm thinking about things like George Jetson's having a thankless job where all he does is push a button because everything's automated. You could get all kinds of material out of something like that. Robotic assistants (Rosie, etc), the stuff with Judy's obsession with celebrities and rock stars, etc. Basically, The Jetsons touched on a lot of concepts that were idle musings at the time but have since come to pass in generally depressing ways. I think The Jetsons is just easily revamped into a show that mines comedy and satire of our current social and technological concerns. What's the role of work in an increasingly automated world? How do people spend their time? How do they interact with their friends, family, and world when everyone is constantly connected? The groundwork is already done, it's just taking stuff to the next level using 50-60 years of human development.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'd never heard of On My Block until this thread.

Netflix could probably do a little higher than 40k, but I understand why they wouldn't go six figures when it's supposed to be a low budget show. But if I were an actor I'd try and shoot my shot for a big payday because I'd assume I'd need to live off that money for years/decades to come.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The negotiation seems reasonable to me given this tidbit from the article:

And in an year-end ranking released by Netflix, On My Block was listed as the service's #1 most binged show for the calendar 2018 in the US, ahead of such hits as Making a Murderer, 13 Reasons Why, Bodyguard, The Haunting Of Hill House and Orange Is the New Black. While this reflects the average watch time per viewing session and not overall viewership, the metric is important for streamers as such high engagement drives subscriptions.

Don't let your own anecdotes (including whether you've heard of it / watched it) muddy the waters of the stats which Netflix themselves already released.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Image Comics' "Paper Girls" is coming to Amazon.

Toy Story 4 co-writer Stephany Folsom will pen the adaptation of the the graphic novel, created by Vaughan and co-created by Cliff Chiang. She will executive produce with Vaughan and Plan B.

The series follows four young girls who, while out delivering papers on the morning after Halloween in 1988, become unwittingly caught in a conflict between warring factions of time-travelers, sending them on an adventure through time that will save the world. As they travel between our present, the past, and the future — they encounter future versions of themselves and now must choose to embrace or reject their fate. An emotional adventure in which the girls and the women they eventually become are tough, their friendships are authentic, and their journey through time is epic.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WATCH "FLOWERS" ON NETFLIX, YOU COWARDS.

Olivia Colman's not acting her ass off for you to ignore her in favor of "The Umbrella Academy."

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh didnt know there was more Last Chance U coming soon

I havent watched the last one (I guess part 1 of this new school?) yet

Status
Not open for further replies.