• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Spectrum Originals is making a scripted adaptation of Last Chance U starring Courtney Cox btw

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Spectrum Originals is making a scripted adaptation of Last Chance U starring Courtney Cox btw

giphy.gif

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The negotiation seems reasonable to me given this tidbit from the article:

Don't let your own anecdotes (including whether you've heard of it / watched it) muddy the waters of the stats which Netflix themselves already released.
It's completely unreasonable, most binged means "highest average watch time per viewing session", it doesn't say anything about how many people watched it, how many new subscribers watched etc., technically a show that's only watched by 5 people could win "most binged" if those 5 all watch the entire season in one sitting, without actual numbers attached it's a nice anecdote but ultimately useless information when it comes to negotiations.
It also didn't create nearly as much buzz as some other shows, 13 Reasons Why was talked about everywhere but for some reason the On My Block cast asks for significantly more than the 13 Reasons kids are getting. Dylan Minette gets arou d $200.000 per episode for season 3, the others $135.000. The On my Block cast initially wanted $250.000 each, now they're asking for 225.000, that's ridiculous.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
WSJ via Warming Glow: Jason Momoa's New Show Costs As Much Per Episode As 'Game Of Thrones' Did
Disney has built intergalactic-desert landscapes for the Star Wars spinoff The Mandalorian, whose cost for an episode approaches $15 million, according to people familiar with the matter… In the case of Apple's See, the cost has neared $15 million for each roughly 60-minute episode, according to a person familiar with the matter. That is more than the cost of a typical independent feature film.
That's not going to end well.

Nov 1, 2017
So new streaming services have latched onto the "spend way more money than you actually have" part of Netflix's business plan and nothing else, it seems

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish iZombie pulled in better ratings. I'm really gonna miss that show when it's gone.

That new episode of Elementary was really good last night. Gonna miss that show a lot too.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It's completely unreasonable, most binged means "highest average watch time per viewing session", it doesn't say anything about how many people watched it, how many new subscribers watched etc., technically a show that's only watched by 5 people could win "most binged" if those 5 all watch the entire season in one sitting, without actual numbers attached it's a nice anecdote but ultimately useless information when it comes to negotiations.
It also didn't create nearly as much buzz as some other shows, 13 Reasons Why was talked about everywhere but for some reason the On My Block cast asks for significantly more than the 13 Reasons kids are getting. Dylan Minette gets arou d $200.000 per episode for season 3, the others $135.000. The On my Block cast initially wanted $250.000 each, now they're asking for 225.000, that's ridiculous.
That's also just how negotiating generally works. You don't start by asking for what you'd reasonably like to end up at.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Man for the right actors and crew this Apple TV thing must be insane, being overpaid insanely high (all deserve it for real though) for a product hardly anyone is gonna watch. Also "See" has to be the worst name for a TV show in 2019. You can't google it, trying to talk about it just ends up like a "Whose on first?" comedy bit, and it just invites all kind of bad puns like "Did you see see? Naw, nobody saw it".

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Disney Unplugs FX Plus Subscription Service After Fox Merger, Hulu Consolidation
The FX+ subscription service is winding down operations, a move related to Disney absorbing Fox, taking control of Hulu and planning an aggressive rollout of its long-awaited Disney+ service in November.

According to a message on the service's website, it will cease being available on August 21. Current subscribers can view past seasons of FX and FXX originals on the FXNow app or online via FXNetworks.com, but only through August 20.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

At least Apple isn't skimping on the budgets for their original series...

Also "See" has to be the worst name for a TV show in 2019. You can't google it, trying to talk about it just ends up like a "Whose on first?" comedy bit, and it just invites all kind of bad puns like "Did you see see? Naw, nobody saw it".

I bet they change it before it premieres.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From everything I've heard See also stinks. So that's a real mess they have on their hands. But I still firmly believe that Apple is in a too many cooks situation and anything good that gets produced out of there is only going to be good by pure luck.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IndieWire reports on how "Big Little Lies" S2 was basically retrofitted to resemble S1 and how Jean-Marc Valee et al. removed Andrea Arnold's directorial vision.
According to a number of sources close to the production, there was a dramatic shift in late 2018 as the show was yanked away from Arnold, and creative control was handed over to executive producer and Season 1 director Jean-Marc Vallée. The goal was to unify the visual style of Season 1 and 2. In other words, after all the episodes had been shot, take Arnold's work and make it look and feel like the familiar style Vallée brought to the hit first season, which won eight of the 16 Emmys it was nominated for in 2017, including Outstanding Limited Series.
When HBO and the show's executive producers were unwilling to wait for Vallée, who had committed to "Sharp Objects," to shoot season 2, the creative team behind the show collectively decided to hire Arnold, whose work they believed that Vallée and his Season 1 team could easily shape into the show's distinctive style in post-production. Vallée, who advocated for Arnold, told IndieWire last May that he saw their directorial styles as being cut from the same cloth.

Yet even such a fundamental misjudgment doesn't explain the lack of communication from the producers that followed. Not only was Arnold given free rein, it was never explained to her that the expectation was her footage would be shaped by Vallée into the show's distinctive style. Sources close to production and Vallée tell IndieWire that there was no style bible laying out the visual rules of the show, common for TV series looking to maintain consistency between different filmmaking teams. And Arnold was allowed to hire her own creative team, including switching the show's cinematographers by bringing over Jim Frohna who she had worked with on Soloway's series.

Even more remarkable, Vallée and Arnold never spoke, nor was there ever a clear showrunner or creative producer who Arnold was answerable to on set. Star-EPs Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman were said to have loved working with Arnold and trusted her intrinsically, while as showrunner Kelley made only a handful of set visits, each lasting approximately an hour.
Before the February order of additional photography started, the Vallée-led direction the show was taking was obvious, but sources close to Arnold say she felt obligated to see it through to the end. While DGA rules required Arnold be the director on set, Vallée was now an extremely hands-on EP dictating not only what would be shot, but how it would be shot, oversight that Arnold never had during the initial shoot. The optics were not lost on many associated with "Big Little Lies": A show dominated by some of the most powerful actresses in Hollywood hired a fiercely independent woman director – who was now being forced to watch from the director's chair as scenes were shot in the style of her male predecessor.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Hire an auteur for your TV show and you'd better not be surprised she brings her own tone. WTF at this project

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't started watching S2 of Big Little Lies yet, but does it seem radically different from season one?

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't started watching S2 of Big Little Lies yet, but does it seem radically different from season one?
That's the point of the article. At one point, it was its own thing, but they basically retrofit it to more closely resemble S1's visual style at the expense of Andrea Arnold's unique direction.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
That's the point of the article. At one point, it was its own thing, but they basically retrofit it to more closely resemble S1's visual style at the expense of Andrea Arnold's unique direction.
That whole thing makes me almost irrationally angry, you hire one of the best American directors, take a look at her work and then decide to Vallée it up? It's like hiring a top designer to make a unique and inspiring garment and then giving it to a semi-drunk hatchet man so that you can mould it into some Forever 21 mass produced mediocrity.

(okay, so Little Big Lies is probably the one time I haven't gotten annoyed by Vallée's direction but thinking of what we could have gotten... man)
We do need a new title because of the announcement of the final season of "How to Get Away with Murder." Anyone have any ideas?

"ABC Couldn't Get Away with Murder"
"How to Get Away without Getting Renewed"
dammit. this counts as major. and I'm back home. so I'm running out of excuses.
I have thoughts on this: 🤐🤐🤐. That's it. That's the thought.

WATCH "FLOWERS" ON NETFLIX, YOU COWARDS.

Olivia Colman's not acting her ass off for you to ignore her in favor of "The Umbrella Academy."
Flowers is fucking great. I liked his debut film Black Pond, but man Will Sharpe evolved quickly to make something like Flowers.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
That whole thing makes me almost irrationally angry, you hire one of the best American directors, take a look at her work and then decide to Vallée it up? It's like hiring a top designer to make a unique and inspiring garment and then giving it to a semi-drunk hatchet man so that you can mould it into some Forever 21 mass produced mediocrity.

Andrea Arnold is born and raised in Kent, England fyi :)
But I get your point, totally agree on the madness of hiring her and then decided to retro fit her work to Vallée without telling Arnold. Plus she even started initial rough editing the footage back here in England prior to them pulling it away from her.
Real shame.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Andrea Arnold is born and raised in Kent, England fyi :)
But I get your point, totally agree on the madness of hiring her and then decided to retro fit her work to Vallée without telling Arnold. Plus she even started initial rough editing the footage back here in England prior to them pulling it away from her.
Real shame.
lmao, I have no idea why I put American in there. I think Fish Tank is her best work, and that one is decidedly not American.

Yeah, the amount of editors listed for some of the episodes is a bit bonkers with the euro ones being brought in by Arnoldm so that was a waste of the second best named Swede working in the industry, Dino Jonsäter.

Also, we need a full DOJ investigation into this:

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
But it's normal for american tv shows that the producers are ultimately in charge and shape the final product, so is this really surprising? They could have communicated their plans better but what happened doesn't seem to be that unusual.
It's not unusual for the producers to have final cut, but it is very unusual to neither instruct the director to hew precisely to an established style (if so desired) nor to provide a style guide. That's creatively and financially stupid. It's really, really shitty on a number of levels.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's normal for american tv shows that the producers are ultimately in charge and shape the final product, so is this really surprising? They could have communicated their plans better but what happened doesn't seem to be that unusual.
It's not unusual for the producers to have final cut, but it is very unusual to neither instruct the director to hew precisely to an established style (if so desired) nor to provide a style guide. That's creatively and financially stupid. It's really, really shitty on a number of levels.
To piggyback off of DanGo's post, Vallee's only reason for hiring her was that "her style is kinda similar to mine." That's incredibly stupid considering you could have literally spent 4 hours watching her films and then deciding whether or not that assessment is true.

This whole fiasco reeks of ineptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.