• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Terror and Lodge 49 return August 12th:
Set during World War II, The Terror: Infamycenters on a series of bizarre deaths that haunt a Japanese-American community — and a young man's journey to understand and combat the malevolent entity responsible. The cast includes Derek Mio (Greek), Kiki Sukezane (Lost in Space), George Takei (Star Trek), Cristina Rodlo (Universo's El Vato), Shingo Usami, Naoko Mori (Absolutely Fabulous) and Miki Ishikawa (Hit).

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings. Everyone was just watching Killing Eve on AMC/BBC America anyway, right?:

Fast-Demo-2019-Apr-07.SUN_.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Killing Eve' Renewed For Season 3 By BBC America; New Showrunner Named

On the heels of its Season 2 premiere, BBC America has ordered a third season of critically acclaimed series Killing Eve. In addition, in keeping with its tradition, the show will pass the baton to a new female writing voice – British writer Suzanne Heathcote (Fear the Walking Dead) is coming aboard as lead writer and showrunner/executive producer for season three, taking over for Emerald Fennell, who had been handed the reins by season one lead writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
"We love having this show and the brilliant Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer and Fiona Shaw on our networks," said Sarah Barnett, President, Entertainment Networks for AMC Networks. "Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Emerald Fennell have delivered two addictively entertaining seasons. As we did last year, we're renewing Killing Eve right out of the gate, now with Suzanne Heathcote as lead writer, as a sign of confidence – we adore this show as much as our fans do. Killing Eve doesn't do anything in a templated way; we love giving opportunity to three genius women to make their mark."

"It's been such an exciting year for me on Killing Eve. I think it's cool that this tradition has been built into this untraditional show. Inheriting some of Phoebe's characters was a treat – I can't wait to see what Suzanne does next," said Fennell.

"I'm very excited that the Killing Eve baton is being passed onto another incredible writer for season 3. We can sleep soundly knowing these characters are safe in Suzanne Heathcote's hilariously murderous hands," said Waller-Bridge.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh Killing Eve isnt a HBO show? thats my bad, I just assumed since its on our new HBO streaming thing.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The real question is what ISN'T ending this year (or next, if pushed back). So many new shows got announced this year, probably because so many are heading out the door.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
The real question is what ISN'T ending this year (or next, if pushed back). So many new shows got announced this year, probably because so many are heading out the door.
Yeah, it's an absolute bloodbath for shows I watch.

I might finally have a chance to catch up on my Netflix/Amazon backlog.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to this. Started some shows, but put them on hold because of bad timimg with top priority stuff came out soon after. I want to lower my Netflix/Hulu queue, because it becomes a game of "which should I finish first?"

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

Shows I watch that are ending this year or next season:

Preacher
Veep
Game of Thrones
Homeland
The Affair
Legion
Schitt's Creek
Mr. Robot
Crazy Ex GF
Broad City
You're the Worst
Easy
Jessica Jones
Orange is the New Black
Catastrophe
Supernatural

At least. That's if I'm not forgetting things.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Warrior on Cinemax - 157K for the premiere.

For comparison, w/r/t premieres on the rebooted Cinemax:

New-Nu Strike Back S1: 135K; S2: 116K

Rellik: 58K

CB Strike: 180K

Outcast S2: 149K

Tales from the Tour Bus S2: 31K

Seems like a fairly decent start, all things considered. Still though they've got to be disappointed that it didn't do better considering how much it cost them. S2 is already in development of course, but I hope they're in it for the long haul... (obv curious to see what the on demand numbers are)

Hmm. I figured this one would still be a ways away because they've got 32 weeks a year of Walking Dead already and I assumed the third series would act as an eventual replacement for either the main show or Fear. I'm guessing they'll sandwich the 10 episode first season in between TWD 10.B and FtWD 6.A (assuming they're not building towards an ending for Fear this year - it's popular enough to get renewed for a few more seasons). It could also conceivably be exclusive to their streaming service.

At any rate, it'll be really interesting to see how they make it feel different from the other shows - the main characters will be "the first generation to come-of-age in the apocalypse as we know it", which sounds like it's going to take place in the near future and they're filming in Virginia vs Atlanta for TWD and Austin for FtWD, so it will at least have somewhat different scenery.

Had it already been announced as the final season for Preacher?

No but I think most assumed it would be.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Warrior on Cinemax - 157K for the premiere.

For comparison, w/r/t premieres on the rebooted Cinemax:

New-Nu Strike Back S1: 135K; S2: 116K

Rellik: 58K

CB Strike: 180K

Outcast S2: 149K

Tales from the Tour Bus S2: 31K

Seems like a fairly decent start, all things considered. Still though they've got to be disappointed that it didn't do better considering how much it cost them. S2 is already in development of course, but I hope they're in it for the long haul... (obv curious to see what the on demand numbers are)

Lol @ New-Nu Strike Back. You would think Cinemax wouldn't really expect a ton of people to tune in live on a Friday night, I imagine a lot of people will catch the show over the weekend. Hope the DVR/On-Demand numbers bump up and I imagine the show could benefit from word of mouth.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey a study on what is popular on Netflix that isn't methodologically absolute trash (god fuck Parrot Analytics so hard):

Stranger Things and Orange Is the New Black Top Survey of Favorite TV Shows on Netflix

09-favorite-shows-watch-netflix-chart.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

Exactly how many people watch individual shows on Netflix remains mostly a mystery, but a new survey suggests that the streaming giant's self-produced content is breaking through with subscribers. According to a new report from leading Wall Street analysts MoffettNathanson, seven of the ten programs most often identified as Netflix subscriber favorites are produced in-house, with Stranger Things and Orange Is the New Black outperforming acquired hits such as Friends and The Office. That's the good news. The downside for Netflix: Audiences are still attached to plenty of shows from outside suppliers, some of whom have been threatening to pull those programs from the streamer.
MoffettNathanson arrived at its conclusion by surveying more than 500 Americans from among a demographically representative sample, and then asking the 430 who said they had access to Netflix to list up to five of their favorite programs from the service. The group collectively responded by naming 271 different titles, a sign that Netflix's strategy of offering something for everyone is paying off by yielding a slew of shows that a small portion of the subscriber base really loves. "The breadth and variety of the answers point to the deep value of a diverse library," MoffettNathanson concluded. Indeed, only two shows were named by more than 10 percent of the survey responders: Stranger Things (13 percent) and OITNB (10 percent), while nearly half of the top 20 titles were mentioned by just 3 percent of those polled.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Killing Eve' Ratings Kill It With Season 2 Simulcast Debut On BBCA & AMC
The second season opener of the Sandra Oh and the Jodie Comer led spy thriller snagged 1.2 million viewers on April 7. That's a rise of 67% in total viewers from its previous high of the Season 1 finale of the Phoebe Waller-Bridge developed series and 99% among adults 18-49 to a total of 327,000 in the key demo.
Even with the much-anticipated debut available for preview on the AMC Premiere subscription service on April 5, the duel network approach juiced the tale of the obsessed MI5 officer and the stylish assassin to a 177% jump over the Season 1 opener
giphy.gif

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Julianne Moore, Stephen King, and J.J. Abrams team-up for new Apple TV+ show:
Julianne Moore is making her return to TV in a big way: The Oscar-winning actress will star in the Apple limited series Lisey's Story, from super duo J.J. Abrams and Stephen King, TVLine has confirmed.

An adaptation of King's 2006 horror-romance novel of the same name, the "deeply personal" thriller follows Lisey (Moore) two years after the death of her husband. The show explores a series of events that causes Lisey to begin facing amazing realities about her husband that she had repressed and forgotten.

In addition to exec-producing alongside Abrams, Moore and Ben Stephenson, King will also pen all eight episodes of the drama.

Oct 25, 2017

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I immediately thought that that was a joke photo. But then I remembered the maddening genius of The Young Pope and now feel as though I betrayed The New Pope for even questioning it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Killing Eve breakdown:

769K on AMC
403K on BBC America

1.172 million total

What's surprising though is that A Discovery of Witches also did really well (it already aired previously on Sundance Now and Shudder) - even better than Killing Eve (on AMC)!

853K on AMC
225K on BBC America

1.078 million total

They could have just aired Killing Eve by itself, so pairing it with ADoW turned out to be a really savvy move.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
So the BBC made a "race around the world" type show, but with the catch being that it's an actual race. lol
There's a piece on some of the logistical nightmares they faced trying to produce it though:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47827316

I haven't watched the final episode yet, but I absolutely love this show.

I love how there's a real focus on the individuals competing. As someone who is terrified of planes, it also makes the prospect of travelling a bit more interesting - mainly because you can experience so much.

Really hope it makes a return.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title. I will not make a penis joke for the thread title.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the final episode yet, but I absolutely love this show.

I love how there's a real focus on the individuals competing. As someone who is terrified of planes, it also makes the prospect of travelling a bit more interesting - mainly because you can experience so much.

Really hope it makes a return.
Yeah. I don't mind that it's still fairly scripted (the "jobs" they find are clearly preplanned) and there's still the artificiality that comes from having a camera crew run with you - people are going to help people followed by cameras - but I enjoy how relatively low key it is and how it's more focused on the travel and what they see.

There was a show from the early 2000s where there were no "checkpoints" whatsoever and people had to figure out how to get to a place by any means possible from halfway across the world, and I wouldn't mind if the teams could just choose to go anyway they wanted rather than be funnelled to a specific place, but I can understand still wanting the "drama" of people rubbing against each other.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
any word on Big Mouth? animation side of Netflix is usually "safe" right? >_>

edit: Lucifer Season 4 May 8th

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Killing Eve breakdown:

769K on AMC
403K on BBC America

1.172 million total

What's surprising though is that A Discovery of Witches also did really well (it already aired previously on Sundance Now and Shudder) - even better than Killing Eve (on AMC)!

853K on AMC
225K on BBC America

1.078 million total

They could have just aired Killing Eve by itself, so pairing it with ADoW turned out to be a really savvy move.
AMC really has the numbers. Thats cool. Although Killing Eve would have probably done well even on a single channel. But I'm really happy that its on multiple. That lead in for A Discovery of Witches is nice. I didn't watch the show but was considering it. If I do, it is probably the last on the list of things I have to watch

any word on Big Mouth? animation side of Netflix is usually "safe" right? >_>
Renewed a while ago. I think they even referenced season 3 will be coming soon or something along those lines in that Valentine's special that aired a couple of months ago.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
you'd think the Fannibals would really stan Killing Eve
My wife is a massive Fannibal and it just makes her a little annoyed tbh because she thinks Hannibal is a much better Killing Eve.

Side note, it's very annoying how we can't watch season 2 on Hulu Live. I am edging towards getting a different streaming service.. we still haven't been able to watch new episodes of Drunk History from this season either. I assume one of the other services must have these channels..

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Taylor Kitsch & Michael C. Hall Lead Cast Of 'Shadowplay' Drama Series
Taylor Kitsch (Waco, True Detective) and Michael C. Hall (Dexter, Safe) are set to lead the cast of Shadowplay, a gritty dramatic thriller series from The Bridge co-creator Måns Mårlind, Studiocanal's Tandem Productions and Bron Studios in co-production with ZDF. Nina Hoss (Phoenix, A Most Wanted Man), Sebastian Koch (The Lives of Others, Homeland), Tuppence Middleton (Sense8, War and Peace), Logan Marshall-Green (Prometheus) and Mala Emde (Brecht, Charité) round out the cast of the series' first chapter.

Mårlind has conceived Shadowplay as a 16-episode series, told in two chapters. The initial eight-episode shoot will begin April 29 in Prague, and an additional eight episodes are planned for filming in 2020.

Created and written by Mårlin, Shadowplay is a character-driven thriller set in Berlin. It centers on the story of Max McLaughlin (Kitsch), an American cop who arrives in the city in the summer of 1946 to help create a police force in the chaotic aftermath of the war. Max's goal is to take down "Engelmacher" Gladow (Koch), the Capone of post-war Berlin. At the same time, Max undertakes a secret crusade to find his missing brother Moritz (Marshall-Green), who is killing ex-Nazis in hiding. However, Max is completely unaware that he is being used as a pawn in what is the very beginning of the Cold War.

Kitsch will play Max, Hall is Tom Franklin, Hoss portrays Elsie, Koch will play Engelmacher, Middleton portrays Claire, Marshall-Green is Moritz and Emde is Karin.
Mårlind executive produces and will direct all episodes alongside his directing partner, Björn Stein (Underworld Awakening, Midnight Sun). Rola Bauer (Take Two, The Pillars of the Earth), Jonas Bauer (Spotless, The Company), Tim Halkin (World Without End, Labyrinth), Jim Gillespie (World Without End, I Know What You Did Last Summer), and Bron's Aaron L. Gilbert, Steven Thibault and David Davoli (The Mule, Joker, Tully, Leave No Trace) also executive produce. Wolfgang Feindt (The Killing, The Same Sky) and Frank Seyberth (Trapped, The Bridge) executive produce for ZDF.
The first chapter of this one-hour returning series will be produced by Rick McCallum (Britannia, A United Kingdom), alongside Line Producer Veronika Lencova (Britannia, Crossing Lines), Director of Photography Erik Sohlström (Midnight Sun) and Production Designer Niels Sejer (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).

Tandem Productions and Bron Studios are producing the series in co-production with ZDF. Shadowplay is co-financed by Creative Wealth Media along with a line-up of major international networks, including Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT Group) for its premium streaming service Viaplay (Nordic region), Canal+ (France), Canal+ Poland and NPO (Holland). The series will be distributed worldwide by Studiocanal TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.