• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm fine with Silicon Valley ending. I thought last season was probably the weakest season, with Jared being the highlight of the season. Plus from a story line perspective, they are at a place it makes sense to end.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Is this like how Hulu "renewed" Letterkenny, or do they actually fund it with the CBC?
Deadline is a special level of terrible when it comes to co-pros/distribution deals, they basically always only report what the American side does (and even fail to mention that it is a co-pro sometimes). Which unless you know beforehand is not something you'd notice whilst reading through Deadline's feed.

It's kinda how people neglect that Chernobyl is a US-UK co-pro between HBO (US) and Sky (UK) and might not have happened without Sky's involvement and only praise HBO for it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Yes! Season 1 was merely decent, the sort of thing that takes an entire season (of 6 half hour episodes, to be fair) to get to what should have been the end of the pilot, but season 2 is a big step up even though it's still the same show (just deeper and richer). I hope they increase the episode order again though - season 2 was 4 episodes longer than season 1 but still felt a bit too short.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Developing Female Comedy 'La Fresa' From 'Girlboss' Creator, Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg & Sony TV

Amazon has put in development La Fresa, a female-focused action comedy from Girlboss creator Kay Cannon, up-and-comer Michele Grogin, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's Point Grey Pictures and Sony TV
Co-written by Cannon and Grogin, La Fresa is an action comedy about a privileged girl who discovers that her cushy life was actually built by nefarious means. When her life is turned upside down, she must embark on a dangerous rescue mission and will come to do things she never thought she could (or would) do.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yes! Season 1 was merely decent, the sort of thing that takes an entire season (of 6 half hour episodes, to be fair) to get to what should have been the end of the pilot, but season 2 is a big step up even though it's still the same show (just deeper and richer). I hope they increase the episode order again though - season 2 was 4 episodes longer than season 1 but still felt a bit too short.
I'm glad Starz is sticking by it (even if my personal interest kinda petered out in season 1 🤐)

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Deadline is a special level of terrible when it comes to co-pros/distribution deals, they basically always only report what the American side does (and even fail to mention that it is a co-pro sometimes). Which unless you know beforehand is not something you'd notice whilst reading through Deadline's feed.

It's kinda how people neglect that Chernobyl is a US-UK co-pro between HBO (US) and Sky (UK) and might not have happened without Sky's involvement and only praise HBO for it.
Wow, they really are terrible. lol
Ah cool, that CBC churning out that neo-noir CanCon!

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-May-31.FRI_.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Magic The Gathering': Russo Brothers & Netflix Conjure Up Animated Series
After 26 years of supernatural success at retail, the tabletop trading-card game called "Magic: The Gathering" is getting its first Hollywood screen adaptation: Netflix has just announced an animated original series called Magic:The Gathering from executive producers Joe & Anthony Russo

The showrunners for Magic:The Gathering will be Henry Gilroy (Star Wars Rebels) and Jose Molina (The Tick). Gilroy & Molina will also write the show. Animation will be done by Octopie Network and Bardel Studio.

Netflix says the Brothers Russo will "oversee the creation of an all new storyline and expand on the stories" of the Planeswalkers, the magic-wielding heroes and villains who dominate Magic's tabletop realms of imagination.

Details beyond that are scant

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enemy within had potential. Didnt watch but the tail end of a few episodes.

Yeah, I enjoyed it for what it was. Main reason I originally watched was because of Jennifer Carpenter but as a show it kept me entertained. Was definitely a "network" show, plot moved super fast and what would be huge storylines in a more methodical series were wrapped up way too quickly but reminded me of Designated Survivor in terms of keeping me entertained. I have 3 episodes left on my DVR but doubt I'll watch them now that the show's been canned.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First trailer for "Carnival Row":

Spanning eight episodes and set for an all-at-once binge release, the original version will be available on that date in over 200 countries and territories, with dubbed foreign language versions coming later this year.
Carnival Row is set in a Victorian fantasy world filled with mythological immigrant creatures whose exotic homelands were invaded by the empires of man. This growing population struggles to coexist with humans, forbidden as they are to live, love or fly with freedom. But even in darkness, hope lives, as a human detective, Rycroft Philostrate (played by Pirates of the Caribbean's Orlando Bloom), and a refugee faerie named Vignette Stonemoss (Suicide Squad's Cara Delevingne) rekindle a dangerous affair despite an increasingly intolerant society.

Vignette, meanwhile, harbors a secret that endangers Philo's world during his most important case yet: a string of gruesome murders threatening the uneasy peace of the Row.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Starz Hands 'The Spanish Princess' Additional Eight-Episode Order To End Catherine of Aragon's Story
Starz has handed The Spanish Princess a second run of eight episodes to conclude the story of Catherine of Aragon. The Lionsgate broadcaster is bringing the limited series to an end with eight additional episodes.

Charlotte Hope and Ruairi O'Connor return in their roles as Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII, while showrunners and exec producers Emma Frost and Matthew Graham will remain in their roles.

This comes as The Spanish Princess premiered on Sunday May 5. The series is produced by Playground and All3 Media's New Pictures and is based on Philippa Gregory's book The Constant Princess and The King's Curse.

The Spanish Princess is the third in the trilogy, which began with The White Queen, which was a co-production with the BBC, and The White Princess, which starred Killing Eve's Jodie Comer. Neither of the previous series were handed additional episodes.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The CW Sets 'Two Sentence Horror Stories' Anthology Series For Summer Run
The CW is adding another original scripted series to its summer lineup, anthology Two Sentence Horror Stories. It marks the 12th original CW series for summer 2019,, the most ever for the 13-year-old net, which has been ramping up its commitment to year-round programming.

Set to debut on Aug. 8 at 8 PM with back-to-back episodes, Two Sentence Horror Stories consists of eight half-hour standalone episodes featuring actors Nicole Kang (Batwoman), Jim Parrack (Suicide Squad) and Aleyse Shannon (Charmed), among others.

Created/executive produced by Vera Miao (Best Friends Forever), Two Sentence Horror Stories, from Warner Bros.' digital content studio Stage 13, originated as the five-episode short-form digital series 2SH, which premiered on go90 in October 2017. The short-form first season launched on CW Seed in October 2018. Following the exposure on its digital platform CW Seed, the CW became interested in a full-length second season to air on the broadcast network.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Tim Cook-led technology giant today dropped the first trailer for space race alt-history drama For All Mankind.

Depicting an America that lost the quest to the moon to the Soviet Union, the Ronald D. Moore, Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi created series aims to go very large, as you can see above with women in the capsule and ambitions for Mars and beyond. This is actually the first official trailer for any of the AppleTV+ series.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First trailer for "Carnival Row":

The concept of this is really cool (and actually original for once), but they ended up firing the original showrunner and literally re-shooting the entire season after it was finished and came out poorly (this was meant to be out last year). So... I hope it all ended up alright.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
The concept of this is really cool (and actually original for once), but they ended up firing the original showrunner and literally re-shooting the entire season after it was finished and came out poorly (this was meant to be out last year). So... I hope it all ended up alright.
I mean. It's been a clusterfuck since the script was written in... checks notes... 2005. So just that it is coming out is a big win.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean. It's been a clusterfuck since the script was written in... checks notes... 2005. So just that it is coming out is a big win.
Only in the standard development hell sense. Plus the feature was a dead project for a long time before this television version started to become a reality.

Actually erecting elaborate sets, shooting an entire season of television in Prague, scrapping it and the entire creative team apart from its creator, and then reshooting it all with new scripts a year later with the same actors like it was a second season, while actually being a redo of the first season, is a whole new level of clusterfuck.

But I'm going to stay optimistic, because it really is a world/premise I like and the actors are talented. And given the amount of effort to get it right, you would hope they actually did.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Actually erecting elaborate sets, shooting an entire season of television in Prague, scrapping it and the entire creative team apart from its creator, and then reshooting it all with new scripts a year later with the same actors like it was a second season, while actually being a redo of the first season, is a whole new level of clusterfuck.
this checks out given that filming "wrapped" in March 2018 but was somehow still going as recently as January. so how has Amazon managed to keep that level of clusterfuck out of the trades so far?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only in the standard development hell sense. Plus the feature was a dead project for a long time before this television version started to become a reality.

But I'm going to stay optimistic, because it really is a world/premise I like and the actors are talented. And given the amount of effort to get it right, you would hope they actually did.
Do we have any proof on this? I can't find any articles.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of this is really cool (and actually original for once)

Isn't it just like a period Fables?

whoaaa :O

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

How do you get a point where you finish an entire season and then decide to scrap it?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this checks out given that filming "wrapped" in March 2018 but was somehow still going as recently as January. so how has Amazon managed to keep that level of clusterfuck out of the trades so far?

Everyone in town knew about it. The trades don't report everything. The only thing they reported was the canning of the original director, but that was just the first of many problems.

Isn't it just like a period Fables?

whoaaa :O
It's an original world that's sort of Victorian England but with a bunch of different fantasy races. With the fantasy races standing in as minorities (of course). "Carnival Row" is basically the ghetto where they're all confined in this city.

This first season is centrally focused on a serial killer murder mystery mashed up with a love story. And there's some simpler Got-style political scheming going on at the same time.
How do you get a point where you finish an entire season and then decide to scrap it?
They knew they were in deep shit before they finished shooting the first go round. But they were too far in to turn back at that point. Part of it was due to executive turnover. Amazon unequivocally would not air what was shot though, hence the redo.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They knew they were in deep shit before they finished shooting the first go round. But they were too far in to turn back at that point. Part of it was due to executive turnover. Amazon unequivocally would not air what was shot though, hence the redo.
Wow. I mean, there's sunk cost fallacy and there's whatever this was. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.