• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Wait, Amazing Race isn't back until May 22nd?
Its been off since February of last year.
Ugh.
tenor.gif

Just when I thought CBS respected the series when it was on a weekday again...

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Counterpart cancellation is hitting the hubby hard. While I was watching Manifest last night, he kept muttering, "they keep this shit on air yet they cancel Counterpart".

Supposedly there's a cliffhanger :\

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Got a letter from Nielsen yesterday. I opened it up this morning before work and took a quick look. Has anyone received one before? Aside from the surprise of being given a survey to be mailed back, it was odd to me that they included $2 in the letter.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it seems as if it's heading toward a resolution, and I'm not sure where they'd take it from here.
While I think there's a lot of mystery and lore laid bare, the ultimate exploration of the two sides of all of these characters could use at LEAST another season to play out. The idea that "you are your own worst enemy" or "you will inevitably try to destroy yourself" which so many characters are fighting against needs more time to be explored. For one example, the cross relationships that have developed between the various Silks have become very interesting, and one final episode will not allow that to come to full resolution.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Got a letter from Nielsen yesterday. I opened it up this morning before work and took a quick look. Has anyone received one before? Aside from the surprise of being given a survey to be mailed back, it was odd to me that they included $2 in the letter.
Pretty sure this happened to my parents or me many years ago. Like, well over a decade.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did your parents/you get selected? I'm really curious about this whole process. I'm thinking I'll mail back the survey and see what happens.
I got one of these when I lived with my parents forever ago. I filled it out dutifully. One month of watching Arrested Development on Fox(among other things) and we were kicked out of the program. I always wondered just how many "outliers" are kicked off their statistics.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of two minds about it. There's obviously more than when it was just Netflix and everything was conveniently in one spot. But it's also still way less than all the various cable channels.

At the end of the day we're going to have Netflix, Amazon, Warners, Apple, and Hulu & Disney+ (which will be separate but also have a bundle option)... at least as the serious contenders. 6 services isn't all that bad... It's going to still come out to less than a cable bill did at least, I believe.

All of the other more minor streamers are either going to be rolled into these bigger services (DC Universe) or fall by they wayside (CBS All Access).

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
There are way too many streaming services now.

Don't worry, more are coming

I'm of two minds about it. There's obviously more than when it was just Netflix and everything was conveniently in one spot. But it's also still way less than all the various cable channels.

At the end of the day we're going to have Netflix, Amazon, Warners, Apple, and Hulu & Disney+ (which will be separate but also have a bundle option)... at least as the serious contenders. 6 services isn't all that bad... It's going to still come out to less than a cable bill did at least, I believe.

All of the other more minor streamers are either going to be rolled into these bigger services (DC Universe) or fall by they wayside (CBS All Access).

Many more are coming and trying to get a piece of the pie. You also have the individual channel streaming options that seem fairly popular like HBO, and you got the niche services too like Crunchyroll, Shudder, etc. As more exclusive content comes along, prices are likely going up, and they have been in cases like Netflix/amazon. In a few years we will be seeing some things getting much more expensive and more segmented probably, but at least the one bonus is that we at least have more freedom of choice. We don't have to get stuck into a contract, not forced to bundle services, etc.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Don't worry, more are coming

Many more are coming and trying to get a piece of the pie. You also have the individual channel streaming options that seem fairly popular like HBO, and you got the niche services too like Crunchyroll, Shudder, etc. As more exclusive content comes along, prices are likely going up, and they have been in cases like Netflix/amazon. In a few years we will be seeing some things getting much more expensive and more segmented probably, but at least the one bonus is that we at least have more freedom of choice. We don't have to get stuck into a contract, not forced to bundle services, etc.

Thanks, Captain Obvious

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The niche specialty services aren't too concerning since they are only ever going to feed that niche, who probably isn't interested in having all six of the major services anyway.

HBO, I believe, is going to be included in the higher tier of the Warners service (which honestly makes sense).

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos Unveils Mexican Office, Announces More than 50 Projects
In a much-anticipated move, giant streaming service Netflix has confirmed the launch of a Mexico City office this year. Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos was in Mexico City at a Netflix forum to also announce that the company had more than 50 projects in different stages of production in Mexico, some original content, others co-productions.
Four local films in the pipeline are destined for Netflix's slate over the next two years. These include "Como Caído del Cielo," a musical comedy inspired by the songs of Mexican legend Pedro Infante, starring Omar Chaparro ("Overboard," "No Manches Frida") and Ana Claudia Talancón ("Perfectos Desconocidos") written and directed by Pepe Bojórquez; "Fondeados," with Marcos Bucay ("Club de Cuervos") in his feature film directorial and writer debut; "Se Busca Papá," a family film produced by Corazón Films; and "Ahí Te Encargo," a romantic comedy, written by Tiaré Scanda and Leonardo Zimbrón, produced by Traziende Films.
Non-fiction projects are also in the works. Executive produced by Gael Garcia Bernal, "Rio Grande, Rio Bravo," is an anthology of five documentary shorts produced by Elena Fortes and Daniela Alatorre of No Ficción. These will feature directors such as Trisha Ziff, Juan Carlos Rulfo and Everardo González, who will focus on human stories transpiring in the U.S.-Mexico border. Other documentaries covering historical events, crime, sports and gastronomy will debut before the end of the year.
A slew of new projects will also be added to the slate of Mexican original series, among them "Los Corruptores" based on the novel of the same name by Jorge Zepeda Patterson, and the young adult series "Sofía H.," both produced by Lemon Films; "Bandidos," produced by Leonardo Zimbrón and created by Cuba's Alejandro Brugués and Colombian director Esteban Orozco; "El Club," which is already in production, produced by Argos Comunicación, created by Camila Ibarra and starring Alejandro Speitzer, Minnie West, Jorge Caballero, Axel Arenas and Arcelia Ramírez; and an untitled thriller produced by new shingle, The Immigrant, with Camila Jiménez and Silvana Aguirre as executive producers.
Previously-announced projects going into production this year include "Selena," the series, based on the life of Selena Quintanilla and produced by Campanario; the second season of Manolo Caro's hit series "The House of Flowers" and "American Jesus," based on the graphic novel from Mark Millar and produced by brothers Leopoldo and Everardo Gout. Following the success of their first stand-up comedy specials on Netflix, Franco Escamilla and Daniel Sosa will also return with new specials this year.
pls stop Netflix. You are killing me.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
That's a terrifying amount of stuff coming from Netflix. Exciting, but terrifying. And here I was just looking forward to their two returning Spanish shows, Money Heist and Elite. *rubs eyeballs in preparation*

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'The Ruin Of Kings' Book In Works As Epic Fantasy Series By Annapurna TV
Annapurna Television has optioned the rights to Jenn Lyons' The Ruin Of Kings, the first installment in the five-book series A Chorus of Dragons, for development as an epic fantasy television series.

The Ruin of Kings has been described as uniting the world-building of a Brandon Sanderson with the storytelling verve of a Patrick Rothfuss. It follows the story of Khirin, a young thief who discovers he may be the son of a prince and involved in a complex prophecy where he is more valuable alive than dead.
I guess there are still people trying to make GoT happen.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to see The Other Two already renewed, was a bit worried as it seems like there's little buzz. Show is fantastic. People have been sleeping on Drew Tarver for too long.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'American Gods' Likely Blessed For Season 3 Renewal From Starz – TCA
Nothing is written on stone tablets yet, but a third season of American Gods looks to be a divine certainty. "We didn't make Season 2 of American Gods not to make a Season 3," a source close to the production told Deadline of the Starz series based on Neil Gaiman's award-winning 2001 novel. "It's a big book."

With that top of mind, the premium cabler is actively searching to find a showrunner for a third season, I hear. With some top-tier candidates in the mix and in talks, that quest is centered in many ways on securing someone who can bring the ensemble series led by Ricky Whittle and Ian McShane in on budget and on time.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I got one in October, also the 5$ extra you get for submitting it.

Participate and keep me employed!
I don't work in ratings...directly.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
An addition to the American Gods news:

Been holding news that Starz and Fremantle have been looking for a new showrunner for #AmericanGods since at least December (to no avail). It's incredible that the series, which continues to bleed money, shed stars and generally be a total shit show, would come back for S3.

Seems like it's taking a while to find someone. I guess everyone thinks it's cursed (or they may have to deal with Gaiman and not have full control?).

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
An addition to the American Gods news:

Seems like it's taking a while to find someone. I guess everyone thinks it's cursed (or they may have to deal with Gaiman and not have full control?).
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) Bring back Bryan Fuller.
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I was in it about 8 years ago. Same thing. Random money that kept increasing as I signed on. If I recall correctly it gets up to around $20 a month. Before you get a box or anything you have to keep a journal for every show you watch and for how long, if you change stations for longer than 2 mins and you have to account for all people in the house lol. It's kind of a pain in the ass but it's fun being an actual honest to God Nielsen house. I thought they were like unicorns before I got in

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Family Guy and Bob's Burgers renewed.

That's somewhat of a surprise given all the behind the scenes drama, but it seems like maybe they pulled it together in the end?

They'll keep around that shitshow of a production yet they cancelled Counterpart?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

It probably gets significantly better ratings than Counterpart!

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got one in October, also the 5$ extra you get for submitting it.
I didn't realize that they would even pay you for submitting. Guess I have even more reason to do so lol

I got one of these when I lived with my parents forever ago. I filled it out dutifully. One month of watching Arrested Development on Fox(among other things) and we were kicked out of the program. I always wondered just how many "outliers" are kicked off their statistics.
Was AD actually the only show you were watching? I wonder if I'd get kicked off if I managed to get into the program. I think I watch enough different stuff but maybe not by their standards.

Participate and keep me employed!
I don't work in ratings...directly.
Sure thing! I was already super interested so I was going to do it regardless.
Even if it doesn't directly help you out :P

I was in it about 8 years ago. Same thing. Random money that kept increasing as I signed on. If I recall correctly it gets up to around $20 a month. Before you get a box or anything you have to keep a journal for every show you watch and for how long, if you change stations for longer than 2 mins and you have to account for all people in the house lol. It's kind of a pain in the ass but it's fun being an actual honest to God Nielsen house. I thought they were like unicorns before I got in
When you were no longer in it, did they just ask you to stop or did you leave the program yourself? Lol that does seem like kind of pain but I'm still interested. I think I can log them pretty easily. Even with the letter I still feel like they are unicorns lol

Wow, that is pretty fast. Its only like 3 or 4 episodes in at this point right? Although I haven't watched it. I've only just started really watching Comedy Central with some regularity because I've caught up on Broad City so I can watch the final season live. See commercials for it now and then and part of a special airing it had on TV Land.

Have no faith without Barris involved.
Yeah, I'm not expecting much from this series.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was AD actually the only show you were watching? I wonder if I'd get kicked off if I managed to get into the program. I think I watch enough different stuff but maybe not by their standards.
No, I was watching all sorts of things, and filling out my parents parts as well, so there was sports and news and talk shows too. Even back then though I was the type to watch the critically hyped low rating shows, and I've always felt that's what got us kicked off. Totally unproven anyway.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
When you were no longer in it, did they just ask you to stop or did you leave the program yourself? Lol that does seem like kind of pain but I'm still interested. I think I can log them pretty easily. Even with the letter I still feel like they are unicorns lol
I moved apartments and just got too busy with life to continue and they actually tried to recruit me again about a year or two later. All told they've sent me letters three times trying to get me on board and I did it once (for about 9 months) with the middle request. It's fun and it's definitely cool to be one of the people that reps quality shows instead of garbage CBS procedurals lol

Nov 1, 2017
The only reason to renew American Gods would be that there's no way in hell the production of season 3 could be anymore of a disaster than the production of season 2.

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
The only reason to renew American Gods would be that there's no way in hell the production of season 3 could be anymore of a disaster than the production of season 2.

Ah, the 'Prime Original' - that Amazon $ has got to help.

It probably gets significantly better ratings than Counterpart!

Counterpart, which we get free to air, on the second tier state network, airing 6 months behind. Probs paying $9.99 an episode.

Get good global deals people, that way you can at least survive a couple of dodgy (rating) seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.