• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've heard of One Day at a Time but now I'm kind of interested. I still have to catch up on so many shows.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
That feels weirdly manipulative on Netflix's part. The show's viewership is what it is and it's unlikely to change significantly (as it evidently hasn't over the last few seasons, even with previous "Everyone watch!" campaigns) and I doubt the show costs all that much to produce, so I'm sure they've already made up their minds on whether to renew it or not. They should either drop the pretense and announce they've committed to it for a few more years (at however small a loss that would incur) or just cancel it.
Netflix has significantly upped it's output over the past year, to the point where they're releasing several new shows, movies, and documentaries every friday. More and more stuff is going into my queue, because I simply don't have the time to just watch Netflix every night and binge shows in a single week just to watch the next best thing.

I love Kimmy Schmidt, but I have yet to watch the final batch of episodes, I'm probably never going to finish Unfortunate Events, I'm skipping Dirty John, I don't know if I ever will get around to Kingdom. I hope to get around to Umbrella Academy after I finish ODAAT and Club de Cuervos, then after that maybe I can finally watch Russian Dolls. But the Formula 1 documentary is on March 8th and that will get priority first, etc.

Netflix shows oddly enough have to compete more than ever, with other Netflix shows.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
^^^Yep. The Netflix deluge is pretty annoying, and it's no surprise a lot of stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
ODAAT is going to hurt for a few people around here.

You will feel my American Vandal pain MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

:(

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
That feels weirdly manipulative on Netflix's part. The show's viewership is what it is and it's unlikely to change significantly (as it evidently hasn't over the last few seasons, even with previous "Everyone watch!" campaigns) and I doubt the show costs all that much to produce, so I'm sure they've already made up their minds on whether to renew it or not. They should either drop the pretense and announce they've committed to it for a few more years (at however small a loss that would incur) or just cancel it.
Those are some really good points. Netflix has to know how the show has been doing for the last three years, so they've likely budgeted accordingly. If anything, it felt like this season got a bigger budget with the guest stars and more sets outside of the apartment.

I do wonder sometimes how well the show would do if it were on a network like CBS or ABC. But then I wonder if the show would even be the same with the subjects they cover.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Feb-20.WED_.png

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'The Haunting' Renewed For Season 2
Four months after The Haunting of Hill House debuted on Netflix, becoming a breakout hit, the Internet network has renewed the horror series from Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy with a twist. The drama will become an anthology, with the second installment chronicling a new story with all new characters.

The Haunting creator, executive producer and director Flanagan and executive producer Macy will shepherd the second season under a multi-year overall television deal they have signed with Netflix. Filmmaker Flanagan has joined producer Macy's Intrepid Pictures as partner. Under the duo's Netflix deal, they will develop and produce new series exclusively for streamer, including an all-new chapter in The Haunting anthology, which, like The Haunting Of Hill House, will be based on a known horror little and will likely feature some Season 1 cast members.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Halo': Otto Bathurst To Direct & EP Showtime Series Based On Video Game. Show still doomed to be one season wonder.
Showtime's Halo has found its new director in British helmer Otto Bathurst (Black Mirror, Robin Hood [dear god Deadline at least mention Peaky Blinders]). After a lengthy search, Bathurst has been tapped to direct the series based on the popular Xbox video game franchise.

Bathurst will helm multiple episodes and will executive produce the live-action series, which has Kyle Killen (Awake) serving as writer, executive producer and showrunner. Produced by Showtime in partnership with 343 Industries, along with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television, Halo, which has an initial nine-episode order, will begin production later this year.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
time to give it a final movie to make everyone happy.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder when people stop taking their projects to Netflix because so many things get absolutely buried and are left to die after one or two seasons if they don't really break out.

edit: is that actual werewolves I see and not just "wolves" as every Lycanthrope in media from the last 15 years? Just for that I might give this show a shot (it doesnt look good tho lol)

That's not how I anticipated the PS4 game's world being revisited.

Nov 1, 2017
CBS has to be so disappointed with The World's Best. Endless promos and a post-Super Bowl slot and it can't even do 1/4th of The Masked Singer's numbers

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The Masked Singer is the dumbest thing ive ever cared about lol. But I can't help but love the show.
I'm not watching it on broadcast but I've been watching the performances on YT. Most of the singers are really good and do a nice job on the covers. Don't really care about the "masked" part, as it's obvious who everyone is at this point, though the costumes are cool.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Last year or possibly the year before someone posted gifs in here from a show, I want to say it was Seal Team maybe? It was something kind of military related. But there was a scene in a stairwell where someone slid and the gifs showed that the on demand version still had visible stunt mats that were edited out in the aired version.

Does anyone have access to those gifs or would anyone be able to direct me to the post? I've been trying to explain it to a friend and the gifs would be super helpful.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
huh, I half-expected Showtime to pull the plug on this after the departure of the first director and the rumors of massive budget overruns

they still might

I just don't understand how and why this show is still happening. it's gotta be massively expensive, it doesn't seem to fit the Showtime brand particularly well, and the franchise it's adapting peaked in cultural relevance a good decade or so ago.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
With Homeland and The Affair ending this year, and Shameless and Ray Donovan getting long in the tooth, Showtime needs a new hit (besides Billions). I think they're right in pursuing sci-fi for potentially being the genre to facilitate the Next Big Thing (tm) but I doubt Halo is that property (Kyle Killen is really talented though so I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being good). Execs aren't always the most up to speed on what's culturally relevant though, so if it wasn't Halo it'd probably be like Half Life or Crysis or something lol.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
they still might

I just don't understand how and why this show is still happening. it's gotta be massively expensive, it doesn't seem to fit the Showtime brand particularly well, and the franchise it's adapting peaked in cultural relevance a good decade or so ago.

Absolutely. This makes no sense for Showtime at all. They are going to struggle to attract female viewers to this and if, as rumoured, they've been cutting corners all over the place are they really going to do any better than those poorly received live actions shorts/films from five/ten years ago?

I wonder whether this was indeed a case of Showtime having the HALO rights and refusing to let them lapse when someone else post Ready Player One film release (as had also been rumoured) came along and pressed ahead with the series regardless?

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder when people stop taking their projects to Netflix because so many things get absolutely buried and are left to die after one or two seasons if they don't really break out.

They don't have any worse of a track record than any other outlet, probably better than most. Besides, with a traditional deal it would need to get to season 5 or so before the production company made any money while a Netflix deal guarantees a decent profit from day one.

I love me some cheapo Canadian genre TV so I'll definitely check this out some time. Matt Frewer and Katherine Isabelle are great at this sort of thing and Max Martini has a great Clancy Brown type voice for it as well.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Murphy Sets Next Netflix Series 'Hollywood' About Tinseltown's Golden Age
Ryan Murphy said today he has received a straight-to-series order from Netflix for Hollywood, which he co-created with Ian Brennan and calls "a love letter to the Golden Age of Tinseltown."
Feud proved Murphy can work in this wheel house

Netflix Orders 'Firefly Lane' Drama Series From Maggie Friedman Based On Book
Written and executive produced by Friedman, who also serves as showrunner, Firefly Lane centers on Kate and Tully, who meet as young girls and become inseparable best friends throughout thirty years of ups and downs, successes and failures, depression and disappointments. When an unthinkable betrayal breaks them apart, the two women go their separate ways and it's unclear whether they will ever be able to reconcile.

in non-Netflix news:
'Young Sheldon' Renewed For Two More Seasons By CBS
Natalie Dormer Joins 'Penny Dreadful: City Of Angels' Showtime Sequel Series cc: RatskyWatsky

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Life in Pieces definitely filmed episodes in the fall, but no premiere date yet!

Natalie Dormer in the new Penny Dreadful is most excellent news.

Status
Not open for further replies.