• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jan-16.WED_.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the shitty War of the Worlds show I read a while back. Real garbage and it boggles my mind why they're even doing it considering other War of the Worlds series are also happening.
I wonder if it's still somehow rated G as well. Was there any development on Apple's rumored "nothing even slightly controversial in shows" stance?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's still somehow rated G as well. Was there any development on Apple's rumored "nothing even slightly controversial in shows" stance?
I would say it's more PG than G. Maybe PG-13 depending on how they depict a specific scene. I also think there will definitely be a few things in there that are "controversial" if nothing changes from the scripts. But frankly, it's just not a good project in any sense. My immediate reaction is you wouldn't even know this was War of the Worlds if it wasn't the title... after two episodes (and probably many more). It's very slow burn and character focused, but the characters are all uninteresting and cliched things we've seen a million times before.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hate that little kid on Manifest, wish the show didn't run most of its main storyline through him. His dad is not a great actor either. Show is running out of steam.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Deadline: Netflix's 'Bird Box' Viewed By 80 Million Households

Some TV info sans context:
Hastings also disclosed viewer numbers for its Spanish original Elite (20 million), its Turkish-original series, Protector (10 million) and You (40 million).

It's unclear if the numbers for "You" are US-only or global, how long people actually spent watching it, etc...

Also, even without specifics on the Netflix numbers, they show a huge increase in interest and viewership for the show from what it was doing on Lifetime.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A little more info from Netflix
No third party measures streaming audiences globally as Nielsen does in the U.S. and Netflix zealously guards its data. But the streaming giant volunteered that You and Sex Education have each been seen by more than 40 million households in their initial weeks. Spanish series Elite has been seen by more than 20 million households, the company said.

Netflix considers an episode as "viewed" if at least one episode has been watched at least 70% of the way through.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm still not buying it. Only 4 tv episodes in history have ever been watched by more than 40 million people. Even factoring in international views, it still seems suspect.

Nov 1, 2017
thats good news for Sex Education then, it seems to be quite good from most people I've talked to.

Netflix numbers would be Global I imagine, and Nielsen / whatever is just US no?

Yeah but US subscribers make up roughly 40% of their base. 16 million Nielsen viewers would still be insane for either of these shows. And not to mention English language shows are a hard sell in lots of foreign countries.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Adalian breaking down the Netflix numbers for NY Mag
Netflix's definition of what constitutes a viewer varies for movies and TV shows. With films, the company counts anyone completing 70 percent of a film as a viewer. For TV shows, it's 70 percent of a single episode, not an entire season. So while the movie number is pretty good at gauging whether folks watched a title, the TV number is best understood as a reflection of whether a show is getting sampled vs. being enthusiastically consumed. (In the linear TV world, it's common for shows to get a very big audience for a premiere and then decline 30 or 40 percent over the course of a full season, which is why networks tend to gauge a show's success on its season average.) Plus, Netflix ended 2018 with 148 million subscribers around the world, giving it a much bigger potential audience than an American network such as, say, Lifetime. (Top cable networks are seen in about 90 million homes.) This is not to suggest 40 million isn't impressive. It's just that comparing You's audience on Lifetime vs. You's audience on Netflix isn't apples vs. apples.

It's also worth remembering these numbers in some ways undercount Netflix's actual audience. The stats cited above refer to the number of subscriber accounts which have watched these projects, not actual viewers. If three people got together to watch Bird Box on one TV set, Netflix tallies that as one "view" and not three. (Nielsen, by contrast, counts both TV homes and total viewers, with the latter stat now the most commonly cited by networks and reporters.) It's quite likely the actual number of people around the world who've watched Bird Box is approaching 100 million, assuming Netflix's data is accurate.

And that's the last thing to keep in mind about these numbers: Netflix's data isn't independently audited by outside companies. However, Nielsen and companies such as Parrot Analytics do issue reports which offer a snapshot of how Netflix content is being consumed, and their findings have often tracked with what little data Netflix has released. And unlike last month's Bird Box tweet, Netflix's statements today were released as part of a shareholder letter — putting them under the jurisdiction of Security and Exchange Commission rules, which strictly prohibit false and misleading statements by companies in official public communications.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
The sampling for the TV side is definitely the trick to the number game at Netflix. It'd be interesting to see the breakdown of sampling the first episode versus a completed season, though I imagine we'll never get that number. Plus for international shows, a lot of them are coming with full English dubs now, so that could be driving their numbers up for those against subtitles (and having just started Dark, it defaulted to the dubbed version rather than subtitle, which was intriguing).

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say, those numbers are mostly meaningless because we don't know how it all breaks down or how they compare to other shows on Netflix (or Hulu, Amazon, etc).

40 million accounts watching at least 70% of the first episode is impressive though and would, at first glance anyway, put it ahead of any linear series premiere in the last several decades. (hard to compare global numbers for linear TV debuts given that most of them don't premiere globally and are mostly still locked to a specific date and time, etc)

(also, it's strange how everyone is rushing to say stuff like "Oh, so we're going to just believe their self reported numbers now?!" when you almost never see that kind of skepticism towards HBO, Showtime, etc. when they report the cumulative #'s from their streaming services)

Nov 1, 2017
(also, it's strange how everyone is rushing to say stuff like "Oh, so we're going to just believe their self reported numbers now?!" when you almost never see that kind of skepticism towards HBO, Showtime, etc. when they report the cumulative #'s from their streaming services)

I think that's because we do actually get Nielsen ratings for HBO and Showtime and none of the streaming numbers they release are particularly crazy. (And I know Nielsen puts out streaming numbers now but we have no barometer for how accurate they are which makes them hard to trust)

I can kind of buy that 40m people worldwide have checked out You.

But 40m for Sex Education seems insane. For a show that hadn't even been out a week when they released these numbers and a show that nobody I know irl has even heard of, let alone watched.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously starting to think that Netflix is bullshitting and they actually just count the episode autoplaying if you idle on the menu as "watched". I legit only know one person who's actually seen Sex Education and out of my entire social media umbrella most people are more interested in making jokes about Bird Box than have actually seen it.

Nov 1, 2017
At the very least, I think there's some fuckery going on with the algorithm and they're recommending/auto playing these shows after you watch basically anything to try and inflate viewing statistics for good PR.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously starting to think that Netflix is bullshitting and they actually just count the episode autoplaying if you idle on the menu as "watched". I legit only know one person who's actually seen Sex Education and out of my entire social media umbrella most people are more interested in making jokes about Bird Box than have actually seen it.
Not saying that we should take these numbers as gospel, but Netflix did qualify them a bit (i.e. having watched at least 70% of one episode) and using your own social sphere as a statistical metric is really bad (i.e. self-selection bias).

And Sex Education is definitely a hit for them, even the thread here on era (which isn't their primary demographic) is reasonably popular.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying that we should take these numbers as gospel, but Netflix did qualify them a bit (i.e. having watched at least 70% of one episode) and using your own social sphere as a statistical metric is really bad (i.e. self-selection bias).

And Sex Education is definitely a hit for them, even the thread here on era (which isn't their primary demographic) is reasonably popular.

Oh, of course. The personal social sphere is only a very small slice of reality, but at the same time, Netflix's numbers seem to keep going up despite the fact that the audience isn't actually getting any bigger. That's the part that's confusing.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, of course. The personal social sphere is only a very small slice of reality, but at the same time, Netflix's numbers seem to keep going up despite the fact that the audience isn't actually getting any bigger. That's the part that's confusing.
From their Q4 numbers (via Deadline):
Total paid subscribers increased by 8.8 million to reach 139.26 million worldwide, ahead of guidance by more than 1 million. U.S. subscriber levels ticked up 1.5 million to 58.5 million, in line with forecasts.
They are still adding subscribes in a fairly mind blowing manner.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
From their Q4 numbers (via Deadline):

They are still adding subscribes in a fairly mind blowing manner.

Right. But if they have 58.5 million subscribers, how can they say their movies got watched by 80 million households? Or is this a tacit admission that they know people are sharing their accounts to a staggering degree and they don't care?

EDIT: Worldwide numbers. I'm dumb. Carry on.

Oct 27, 2017

These numbers were in their earnings report. If they're found to have lied in those there are very real, very strong legal penalties.

Sure, you need to understand the qualifiers, but the numbers are for sure 100% accurate.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix Reboots True Crime & Paranormal Series 'Unsolved Mysteries' With 'Stranger Things' EP Shawn Levy
Unsolved Mysteries is back after Netflix revived the long-running true crime and paranormal franchise.

The series, which was hosted by Robert Stack and ran for over 500 episodes between 1987 and 2010, is being refreshed by Stranger Things EP Shawn Levy and his company 21 Laps Entertainment and Netflix.

I hear that Levy is overseeing the revamp in association with Cosgrove-Meurer Productions, the original production company run by the show's creators John Cosgrove and Terry Dunn Meurer. The latter will show run the series with Cosgrove, Levy and Josh Barry as exec producers. Robert Wise is co-exec producer and showrunner with Dunn Meurer.

The 12-part show will use re-enactments in a documentary format to profile real-life mysteries and unsolved crimes, lost love, cases involving missing persons and unexplained paranormal events. Each episode will focus on one mystery. In the original series, actors played the victims, criminals and witnesses but family members and police were regularly interviewed.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Right. But if they have 58.5 million subscribers, how can they say their movies got watched by 80 million households? Or is this a tacit admission that they know people are sharing their accounts to a staggering degree and they don't care?

EDIT: Worldwide numbers. I'm dumb. Carry on.

Big Mouth Season 2 had a joke about account sharing. They know.

Nov 1, 2017

The Sex Education thread has like 2 and a half pages in a week. That's pretty standard for a non-Marvel, non-ST Netflix show thread.

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
Just heard this news. I'm seriously baffled to see so many people liked it. It just came across as obnoxious "HUR HUR STEREOTYPES" humor to me.
There's many people who like it? where lmao it felt like it went unnoticed.
i really liked the chemistry between the characters/felt real not just comedic vessels, and the writings subjectively was fresh especially during season 1 & john lithgow's arc. [ the whole legal-comedy genre feels under-explored]

btw did amazon's forever get renewed? now that show alongside showtime's kidding were 2018's gems imo.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
All these Netflix numbers are amusing to me, just because the Netflix numbers (no matter skewed or not) are such an apple and oranges comparison to how we typically look at linear overnight ratings for network shows. Even though networks have started looking at things like Live + 3 and Live + 7 numbers, usually you mostly hear about overnight ratings. If you looked at say an episode of Big Bang Theory over the course of a month, factoring in online, DVR, on demand numbers it might look even more impressive than they usually do.

Yet, you can't discount the ease and accessibility that Netflix has with being able to watch anything when you want on a number of devices. If I missed an episode on network TV, I would have to hope they put it on their website or is available on Demand via my cable provider, where Netflix I know for sure will have what I want.

If anything you have to give it to them for constantly staying in the news with the Bird Box memes/challenge, Black Mirror - choose your own adventure, You becoming big on the platform, Marie Kondo sparking joy and anger among people, and now the Netflix gate numbers. They do a great job in staying in the conversation, which is more than you say for Hulu or Amazon Video.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Darn... didn't hear that they were still looking for another studio, so already had the idea that it was permanent :/ Too bad....
Sigh, I knew this was coming so I can't really be mad. All I have to say is that I will personally stab every single one of you miserable bastards who didn't watch this.
Just heard this news. I'm seriously baffled to see so many people liked it. It just came across as obnoxious "HUR HUR STEREOTYPES" humor to me.

I too am sad. it was one of the funniest shows I can remember watching in recent times. yes there was a lot of small town jokes but there was some clever writing and puns along the way :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.