• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or do they seem to be getting relaxed with "blood mist" on prime-time tv lately
Watching the last few SEAL Team episodes its full on blood clouds every time a person gets hit, then Gotham tonight had like 20 people get mowed down and seemed way more than usual

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings. Brooklyn Nine-Nine came back strong on its new home at NBC. The last time the show did this well on Fox was in season 4 (two years ago) on January 1, 2017:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jan-10.THU_.png

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Thursday night's ratings. Brooklyn Nine-Nine came back strong on its new home at NBC. The last time the show did this well on Fox was in season 4 (two years ago) on January 1, 2017:

Nice. The Titan Games looks like it's a hit too. Hopefully NBC can keep it up. Fam is doing alright in its debut.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Looks like Fam did okay. I only watched it because Nina Dobrev, but it was meh as expected. Her hair sister in the show bugged me, because I was sure I knew her from somewhere. Turns out I didn't, but she's Pamela Adlon's daughter, so I guess it was the family resemblance. Gonna give the show a couple more episodes, but I don't think it'll be on air long.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic list, and definitely should be used as a primer for the past decade's TV - the shout-outs to Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies and Halt are especially satisfying to see.

Sorry to ask such a lazy question, but where can I find those Wonderfalld and PD shout-outs? I just skimmed the article but didn't see them.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Janeane Garofalo comes out in defense of Louie C.K.
Then the subject of C.K. entered the discussion. "Leave Louis C.K. alone. Enough with that. And again, there are so many issues we gotta be motivated on. He's been my friend — and I stand by that — he's been my friend since 1985, and I think he has suffered," she said. "And when he performs at the Comedy Cellar and people get all irate, if nothing else, care about his daughters. If nothing else — if you can find no compassion for him, which I think you should — think about how his daughters, who hear all of this stuff, feel. Why don't you leave him alone for them if you're so women-empowering?"
Cause you don't understand what it is like to be a public pariah, cause it's not happened to you. You don't understand what it's like to have people in the street yell things …

But he chose to be a public person, and then he chose to take advantage of that.
Also, I don't think you know the full story … and nobody talks onstage in their stand-up more than him [about] everything he's ever done throughout that whole time. I don't want to get caught up in this, because clearly you take a strong position on this, and it doesn't win me any friends. This is like talking about Israel. But I do believe when you're a friend with someone, and if you think that they have suffered — I don't believe in kicking a person when they're down.

I mean, you can still be friends with someone but you can also still acknowledge what they did.
It's not mutually exclusive. Did I say I didn't acknowledge what they did? I'm just saying — and also, are there no other issues?

We can multitask…
But the thing is, why? Why? What is your stake in it that people wanna keep going back?

To let people know they can't just rip their dick out in front of people because they can! That is the stake. When I …[crosstalk] …in a room and you have a bigger position than me, you don't just get to wag your dick at me because you can.
Okay, first of all, that's not what he did. And also, you weren't there … This is so unfair, because it's another thing where people get bullied. I feel progress is thwarted when anyone says what I — because believe me, the pushback I get when I've discussed this before, when people ask me about it, feels so unjust to me, when there are so many issues we could be talking about. And I do think there is a point where somebody stops kicking people when they're down. It doesn't matter what the gender is. It doesn't. This isn't about male or female.
Garofalo goes on to note that "there'll be nothing but vitriol coming at me about this, and it's so easy to get mad at these things and then lose sight of other things that impact our lives." When the hosts again note that they can juggle multiple issues at once, Garofalo tells them that C.K. has "paid heavily, heavily, and his family has paid heavily." When the hosts take issue with C.K. performing at comedy clubs like the Cellar, Garofalo says, "Oh my God. Do you know how much offensive material goes on at the Comedy Cellar? You know what? If you don't want to listen to him, get up and leave the room. You are acting like Mussolini has walked into the room, and it is not. This is a human being."
Please stop holding the rich dude accountable plz. You're bullying him with all this responsibility. Think of his daughters as more important than the legion of other women he hurt.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Rectify, which indeed is excellent and one of the best TV shows ever made, I wonder when/if Ray McKinnon is gonna do something new.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Janeane Garofalo comes out in defense of Louie C.K.

Please stop holding the rich dude accountable plz. You're bullying him with all this responsibility. Think of his daughters as more important than the legion of other women he hurt.
She's not entirely wrong though, there's a difference between holding someone accountable and screaming at them in the street or online and his daughters are in fact innocent and shouldn't be dragged into this. The internet does have a mob mentality quite often and can be very cruel and relentless, I don't know if it went to far with Louis C.K. but it wouldn't surprise me.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to ask such a lazy question, but where can I find those Wonderfalld and PD shout-outs? I just skimmed the article but didn't see them.

No probs. :) They're In the "Toughest Omissions" section, under Southland's entry:

I also would have added "Wonderfalls," a teeny-tiny show from 2004 that has only 13 episodes — they didn't even air them all when the show was briefly on Fox. But those of us who caught it then and bought the DVDs later know it to be enchanting and perceptive. Jaye is a frustrated young woman with a failure to launch, toiling away at a Niagara Falls gift shop when a little lion tchotchke suddenly starts talking to her. Is she going crazy, or is this something supernatural? Does it even matter, if she's finally finding some sense of purpose? This was Bryan Fuller's precursor to the also superb "Pushing Daisies," which I adore almost as much.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed on the lack of Future Man hype around here.

I personally adored the first season. Wolf had absolutely the best and most interesting character growth/development I've ever seen for a character, totally out of left field.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thank you! That was fun to read. Those two shows and Dead Like Me made for some fantastic and whimsical television from Bryan Fuller. I've had a hard time finding much similar since they ended.

The closest I've found to either of them is The Good Place, but it both a) lacks Lee Pace, and b) lacks Bryan Fuller's... well, everything.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now to see where she shall end up next. I guess neo new FOX leadership could take her back, or perhaps try something at ABC?
She's probably either going to lie low for a couple years, or she's going to go directly to another network.

Regardless of the choice she ends up going with, she's going to be working for some conservative news agency and become the new Gretchen Carlson: a pretty blonde white woman that conservative white women everywhere can just relate to.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The new BBC/Amazon series 'Informer' is drawing positive comparisons to 'Bodyguard':

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Whereas the conspiracy in Bodyguard was this confusing mess that often tested patience when it got too implausible, the rest of it was pretty straightforward (and yes, entertaining). But there's more dramatic ambition at the core of Informer, and the same level of barn-burning pace and action. The good news is you don't have to choose. But Informer doesn't yet have the buzz of Bodyguard, so don't lose sight of it.

Screenrant said:
At just six hours long, Informer can be a slightly long binge-watch or something you'll want to dole out over a few days. It will likely work better as the latter, as each episode is fairly dense and has no problem approaching 60-minute mark. But even at that length, the episodes never feel overlong or tedious. Instead, the series just continues to ratchet up the tension on both sides of the law, to make for a truly smart, captivating thriller.

IndieWire said:
Solid Counterterrorism Drama For Anyone 'Bodyguard' Left Cold

Variety said:
this is a show that rewards giving oneself over to its general mood if not its story in every particular. "Informer" is propulsive and boasts two leads, Rizwan and Considine, at the peak of their abilities; it's every bit an exciting answer to the American crime procedural, shows that themselves are not credible in every moment but that build out moods of rich possibility. Throughout "Informer," one feels just about anything could happen to its characters. This show's heedless willingness to embrace narrative risk means more than its occasional wrong steps, and makes for an experience well worth trying.

New York Times said:
'Informer' Finds a Fresh Take on the Terrorism Thriller

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed on the lack of Future Man hype around here.

I personally adored the first season. Wolf had absolutely the best and most interesting character growth/development I've ever seen for a character, totally out of left field.

I watched like 5 or 6 episodes of the first season, then got sidetracked with other shows. I plan to pick it up again sometime, IGN did give the 2nd season a favorable review and said it's better than season one. I do agree that show doesn't really have much buzz going at the moment.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
She's not entirely wrong though, there's a difference between holding someone accountable and screaming at them in the street or online and his daughters are in fact innocent and shouldn't be dragged into this. The internet does have a mob mentality quite often and can be very cruel and relentless, I don't know if it went to far with Louis C.K. but it wouldn't surprise me.
Who is dragging his daughters into it? Sounds like a strawman to me.

Her refrain of "you weren't there," "that's not what he did," and "I don't think you know the full story" reeks.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so out of it that I had no idea that they rebooted the Goldberg's spinoff to be all about Lainey... it's so weird...

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I watched like 5 or 6 episodes of the first season, then got sidetracked with other shows. I plan to pick it up again sometime, IGN did give the 2nd season a favorable review and said it's better than season one. I do agree that show doesn't really have much buzz going at the moment.
2nd season you say? I really enjoyed the first season, it was solid 80's movie style dumb fun.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Downton Abbey' Creator Julian Fellowes Brings His Latest Period Drama 'Belgravia' To ITV Via NBCU's Carnival Films
I
ITV is heading back into the past with Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes. The British commercial broadcaster has commissioned a series based on his novel Belgravia, a tale of secrets and scandals set in 1840s London.

Downton Abbey indie Carnival Films is producing the series, which I hear is being lined up for an initial six-part run that is set to start production in the next few months.
The series is set in the 19th Century, around thirty years before Downton, when the upper echelons of society began to rub shoulders the emerging industrial nouveau riche. But the story begins on the eve of the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, when the Duchess of Richmond throws a party in Brussels for the Duke of Wellington. Among the guests are James and Anne Trenchard, who are living on the profits of new-found trading success. Their young daughter Sophia has caught the eye of Edmund Bellasis, the son and heir of one of the richest and most prominent families in England. Twenty-five years later, when the two families are settled into the newly developed area of Belgravia, the events of the ball, and the secrets, still resonate.

Fellowes is adapting his own novel and the drama is being directed by John Alexander, who has directed series such as BBC thriller Trust Me and Sky's Jamestown. It is exec produced by Carnival Films Executive Chairman Gareth Neame, Nigel Marchant and Liz Trubridge and produced by Killing Eve producer Colin Wratten.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
It seems odd to me that they are marking a season 1 finale. Is that new or has that been done before?

Also, finally watched Fam from my DVR. It wasn't terrific but it was absolutely better than what I was expecting from it. I might just keep watching it.

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The Good Place must have spoiled me because I thought that Fam was the worst sitcom I've watched in years.

Also Nina Drobrev sounds so much like Clarke from The 100 lol

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Simpsons had the 2nd highest rated episode twice this season.

What sucks was it was a shit episode.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Who wants a new streaming service!

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1084884253740023813

Mark Lazarus and Jeff Shell will take on expanded roles overseeing NBCUniversal's vast television operations. Longtime cable chief Bonnie Hammer will shift to oversee NBCU's streaming plans, which will be somewhat different from those burnished by many of the company's competitors. The offering will be free to NBCU pay-cable subscribers in the U.S. and will be supported by advertising.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NBCUniversal enters the streaming wars.
The ad-supported service will be available at no cost to NBCUniversal's pay-TV subscribers in the U.S. and major international markets. Comcast Cable and Sky will provide the service to their 52 million subscribers. An ad-free version will also be available for a fee. Viewers without pay TV service can buy a subscription to the service.

NBCU will continue to license content to other studios and platforms, while retaining rights to certain titles for its new service.

While the company will continue to hold onto its 30% stake in Hulu, its strategy has come under some scrutiny in recent months as Disney and WarnerMedia have charged ahead with efforts to hold off Netflix and other streaming giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.