• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wow! Big day for CBS! Out of curiosity, what are the odds that Les Moonves will sue CBS for the severance pay?
And, although Julie Chen Moonves still seems to be sticking by her husband, I do wonder now if she'll continue to stick by him now that he's not getting a severance.

And finally, Elementary was still on the air?! Wow. Seven seasons is a great run for any show. But for one that's lasted this long, being all over the schedule and even being a summer show last season, it's nice to see that it's ending on its own terms.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
What the hell is with the rabid following of Shadowhunters? The book series it's based on isn't even that good.

Honestly, I thought it would only last one season considering how poorly the movie adaption did.
No idea, I gave it a chance, tapped out like half way through the first season because the ridiculously pretty people weren't enough to keep me interested.
That's disappointing... I've liked her since she was on Mr.Robot, just reminded me her twitter hasn't been active in quite some time... Actually I just checked and apparently I unfollowed any some point? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Get Shorty is fantastic. I have a friend working on the show and he said I would enjoy it, but man, I didn't think I would enjoy it this much. One of the best shows of the year for me.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
So they released the cast list for Netflix dark crystal prequel. Keep forgetting that's happening. Hope it lives up to the OG

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, an end game season with Moriarty hopefully in London? Makes sense to me as a way to wrap up the show.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dormer wasnt actually in Season 6 right? Scheduling conflicts or something even tho she was supposed to return in S6?

Oct 28, 2017

Sad news. I've still gotta watch season 6 but I do absolutely love this show. It's the last relic of the time when I first really got into watching TV shows. This an Person of Interest were amazing.

Fuck. Now I only have Miss Sherlock and the aprox 874 other BBC Sherlock wannabes left (though Elementary was like the only one that got close).

Hadn't heard of Miss Sherlock. Sounds interesting. Is it actually good? I assume it's subtitled?

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2018-Dec-17.MON_.png

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Sad news. I've still gotta watch season 6 but I do absolutely love this show. It's the last relic of the time when I first really got into watching TV shows. This an Person of Interest were amazing.

Hadn't heard of Miss Sherlock. Sounds interesting. Is it actually good? I assume it's subtitled?

It's a jdrama (Japanese live action TV show). It was co-produced by HBO and released through HBO here in the US. Yep, it's subtitled. I watch a lot of jdramas but haven't seen Miss Sherlock yet. It was well received but reviewers, though. If you watch it, enjoy it, and want to see more shows from Japan, there are many excellent jdramas I'd be happy to recommend.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a jdrama (Japanese live action TV show). It was co-produced by HBO and released through HBO here in the US. Yep, it's subtitled. I watch a lot of jdramas but haven't seen Miss Sherlock yet. It was well received but reviewers, though. If you watch it, enjoy it, and want to see more shows from Japan, there are many excellent jdramas I'd be happy to recommend.

I'll take some recommendations that can be streamed using any major US service!

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
God tier thread title
Thanks, I do like it when I can make literary references. Low key best part of 2.0 is that they extended the character count for titles!
It's a low rent, genderbent take on the BBC Sherlock show. And I say this as a compliment, just go into it knowing what it is and it's a fun ride.
Yūko Takeuchi is a charismatic lead, the homoerotic subtext is still there, but the script is weaker (this is probably not helped by HBO Nordic only providing Swedish subs and those aren't always great), the acting overall is weaker and more theatrical (the latter is personal preference and I don't mind), and the budget is clearly not that big. It's still a fun ride.
I HAVE STANDARDS DAMN YOU.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see Elementary go but at least they went into the season knowing it was the last. Excited to see what they come up with.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
A press release reminded me that Siren is coming back on January 24th for its second season. Which then reminded me that the first season was this year. The concept of time has snapped on me.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Akira Kurosawa's 'Rashomon' In Works At TV Series From Amblin
Amblin Television has optioned the rights to Akira Kurosawa's 1950 classic Rashomon to turn into a dramatic mystery thriller series. The plan it to make each 10-episode season focus on a singular event told from multiple points of view. The differing characters' perspectives will allow the audience to come away with the truth behind each mystery.

The series will be executive produced by Amblin TV's co-presidents Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey, with Atmosphere's Mark Canton and David Hopwood and Opus 7's Leigh Ann Burton.

"We couldn't be more excited to adapt this extraordinary film as the foundation for a new dramatic mystery thriller series," said Frank and Falvey in a statement. "It will explore the boundaries of truth and how different perspectives don't often reveal the same reality. We also couldn't be happier to be in business with Mark, Leigh Ann, and David who are great producers and partners."
Uhhh...

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is weird.

But even weirder is the description makes it sound like each season will be completely different. And that makes me question why they even needed to option these rights, since they wouldn't have to just to use the concept of an event being told from multiple points of view (which many other films and series have done). Unless they very specifically wanted to retell the Rashomon story... but that would only be one season.

Bizarre.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
This is weird.

But even weirder is the description makes it sound like each season will be completely different. And that makes me question why they even needed to option these rights, since they wouldn't have to just to use the concept of an event being told from multiple points of view (which many other films and series have done). Unless they very specifically wanted to retell the Rashomon story... but that would only be one season.

Bizarre.

It reads like they want the name and the concept, but to tell different stories with it. It's definitely bizarre. A Rashomon limited series adaptation would have been super exciting.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'Van Helsing' Renewed for Season 4 at Syfy, Sets New Showunner
Syfy has renewed "Van Helsing" for a fourth season ahead of the Season 3 finale.

13 new episodes of the action-horror series will air in 2019. In addition, Jonathan Walker has come onboard as showrunner for the new season, taking over from Neil LaBute.
Oh hey, there is a company smart enough to not have LaBute in charge of their sci-fi show... looks directly at Netflix

I have questions. So many questions;
1) Why not just make a show with multiple unreliable narrators?So many shows already have done a Rashōmon inspired episodes
2) Is it gonna be based on the actual plot of the film?
3) Who is writing this?
4) Why?
Ok so I had 4 questions but still

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
That will change: By this time next year, all three streaming rivals are expected to be up and running,
*In the US

And as such, not even remotely capable of competing with a global juggernaut like Netflix just yet.

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy lost the last three words of its title
Great at counting.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Veep's Timothy Simons To Develop & Star In Assisted Suicide Comedy 'Exit Plans' At HBO
Timothy Simons has set his next project at HBO to follow his run on Emmy-winning comedy series Veep, which is currently filming its final season. The premium cabler has put in development assisted suicide comedy Exit Plans, from Simons, who also stars, and Will Graham (Mozart in the Jungle) via his Field Trip Productions.

Written, starring and executive produced by Simons, Exit Plans centers around assisted suicide. When assisted suicide is legalized in 2019, a man from California opens a small business helping people transition into death peacefully while struggling to keep ahold of his crumbling personal life. In short, he's trying to figure out his life while ending yours.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Queer as Folk' Reboot in Development at Bravo
A new version of "Queer as Folk" is currently in the works at Bravo, Variety has learned exclusively.

Russell T. Davies, the creator of the original UK series, is onboard the new project as an executive producer. Stephen Dunn is attached to write and executive produce. Nicola Shindler of Red Productions, who executive produced the original show, will also executive produce along with Lee Eisenberg of Quantity Entertainment. Digital Rights Group will also produce. Emily Brecht of Quantity is co-executive producing. Universal Cable Productions is the studio.

The original "Queer as Folk" ran for 10 episodes between 1999 and 2000 in the UK. It starred Aidan Gillen, Charlie Hunnam, and Craig Kelly as three gay men living in Manchester. A North American remake was then launched in 2000 on the Canadian cable channel Showcase and the American channel Showtime. That series, set in Pittsburgh, ran for five seasons and starred Gale Harold, Randy Harrison, Hal Sparks, Peter Paige, and Scott Lowell.

The new version of the show will feature entirely new characters in a new setting. It is described as a modern take on the original British series that centers on a group of club-going friends who find support in the gay community following a tragedy.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope people weren't too excited for Amazon's Snow Crash... I've learned that Scott Buck is an EP on it. Don't believe he's the showrunner, if you want some ray of hope... but still.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Man all these posters lamenting the loss of tired elementary but not a single comment about the dark crystal news. Guess im the only one dying for more Henson workshop stuff

I hope people weren't too excited for Amazon's Snow Crash... I've learned that Scott Buck is an EP on it. Don't believe he's the showrunner, if you want some ray of hope... but still.
LOL ouch. How is this guy still involved with a fucking thing

Status
Not open for further replies.