• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
BAFTA has announced its nominations for this year's BAFTA Academy Games Awards. They have some interesting categories, like Best Evolving Game and Best Game Innovation.

Tim Schafer will be awarded the Fellowship BAFTA, this had been announced a few weeks ago.

From IGN:

Best Game
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
Artistic Achievement
  • Cuphead
  • Gorogoa
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Audio Achievement
  • Call of Duty: WW2
  • Destiny 2
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
British Game
  • Monument Valley 2
  • Reigns: Her Majesty
  • The Sexy Brutale
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Total War: Warhammer 2
Debut Game
  • Cuphead
  • Gorogoa
  • Hollow Knight
  • Night in the Woods
  • The Sexy Brutale
  • Slime Rancher
Evolving Game
  • Clash Royale
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Fortnite
  • Overwatch
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Family
  • Just Dance 2018
  • LEGO Worlds
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Monument Valley 2
  • Snipperclips
  • Super Mario Odyssey
Game Beyond Entertainment
  • Bury Me, My Love
  • Last Day of June
  • Life Is Strange: Before the Storm
  • Night in the Woods
  • Sea Hero Quest VR
Game Design
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins
  • Nier: Automata
  • Super Mario Odyssey
Game Innovation
  • Gorogoa
  • Nier: Automata
  • Snipperclips
Mobile
  • Bury Me, My Love
  • Golf Clash
  • Gorogoa
  • KAMI 2
  • Monument Valley 2
  • Stranger Things: The Game
Multiplayer
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Fortnite
  • Gang Beasts
  • Splatoon 2
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew
Music
  • Cuphead
  • Get Even
Narrative
  • Night in the Woods
  • Tacoma
  • Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
Original Property
  • Cuphead
  • Gorogoa
  • Night in the Woods
Performer
  • Abubakar Salim, Bayek (Assassin's Creed Origins)
  • Ashly Burch, Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn)
  • Claudia Black, Chloe Frazer (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy)
  • Laura Bailey, Nadine Ross (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy)
  • Melina Juergens, Senua (Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice)
  • Valerie Rose Lohman, Edith Finch (What Remains of Edith Finch)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rooting for Cuphead to snag some titles. It's unlike anything the gaming world has ever seen, or will ever see considering its unique and hard to make style.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see a "Game Beyond Entertainment" category this year. I really hope Bury Me, My Love will win this one.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
At least Nier got some nominations from them.

I usually criticise BAFTA for having an overly Western focus (and a dumb patriotic priority on British games across the categories whilst sidelining worthier contenders), but this year's crop ain't half bad.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO this is some next level refusal to recognize a game. Automata's music was objectively a step forward for the industry.

ZELDA BARELY EVEN HAS ANY MUSIC IN IT

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did they dump the 'best handheld' game category at long last? I'm 99.9% certain that was one as of last year's and this has been a long time coming considering how bizarre the nominations in that category have been in the past.

I'm rooting for Zelda, Mario and a couple of the other Japanese games to get some well-deserved love here.

Edit: never mind my first part there, I got confused with the best mobile category.

Last edited:
OP
OP
peekaboo

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
a dumb patriotic priority on British games across the categories whilst sidelining worthier contenders

I am normally the first to honk the chauvinist claxon but to be fair BAFTA's remit is to strengthen creativity in the UK. It's funded here and I think it's fine that they champion British games and developers more than their American or Japanese counterparts, otherwise who will. These awards are as much of a PR exercise for the business in the UK as they are for the gaming community abroad.

If you actually look at the list of nominees, I think they have managed to walk the thin line between nodding at mainstream games, critical darlings and homegrown talent (even if Zelda ends up winning pretty much everything).

Hardhat

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
The B stands for British. If Japanese games want recognition, maybe come up with an award called JAFTA or something.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Cool how the performer category is five women and a PoC man, although a little sad considering that just means I'm used to seeing the same white dudes over and over.

I'm curious when the cut-off point is too, especially when it comes to Fortnite as an Evolving Game in particular.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
AC Origins is worthy of a GOTY nomination, as well as the usual suspects. It does a great job broadening the open world with unordered assassination missions for the main stories, and by having a big range of weapons as well as the fun eagle scouting.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
LMAO this is some next level refusal to recognize a game. Automata's music was objectively a step forward for the industry.

Agreed. The majority of music in Zelda can be more described as 'ambience' which should fall more into their 'Audio Achievement' category.

Nier being omitted is sad, however these are British awards and I don't think that game was a huge hit in this country to be fair.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I love the BAFTA awards.

The games they nominate are well considered.

More importantly their categories don't suck and they actually give attention to all of them in an equally respectful manner instead of rattling off a bunch of awards during a commercial break like other events.

I'm stoked to see this one because this awards show is simply that good as a show.

ebsy

Feb 25, 2018
I honestly think Cuphead has a chance at winning all of the awards it's nominated for.

Just for fun, here are my predictions

Best Game: Horizon Zero Dawn
Artistic: Cuphead
Audio: Hellblade
British: Warhammer 2
Debut: Cuphead
Evolving: Fortnite
Family: Mario Odyssey
Game Beyond: Life is Strange
Design: Nier Automata
Mobile: (N/A I haven't played any of the nominees)
Multiplayer: Fortnite/Splatoon 2
Music: Cuphead
Narrative: Edith Finch
Original Property: Horizon Zero Dawn
Performer: Melina Juergens

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I shouldn't be surprised given how Western-centric these awards always are, but no nominations for Persona 5 in either artistic achievement or music is still disappointing. And yes, actually bothering to acknowledge NieR: Automata as one of the few Japanese games (and one by someone other than Nintendo) but then not for music is baffling.

I could lament Gravity Rush 2 not getting anything for art or soundtrack, but it's not like anyone else has paid any attention to it either.

AaronC

Oct 29, 2017
No Snipperclips nod in the British category feels like an omission. Like the right people plain just didn't know it's from a British studio

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Warframe not in best evolving game is disappointing. I've not seen a game that evolved as much and fast as Warframe..

Nov 6, 2017
but no nominations for Persona 5 in either artistic achievement or music is still disappointing.

You have to be joking. It doesnt even offer half of the quality stuff found in the nominees besides the fact that you listen to the same 4-5 songs over and over in an 85 hour game and not to mention Nier Automata that wasnt even nominated simply destroys it.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
BAFTA? more like BAFFLED. NieR music snubbed, they done fucked up.

I'm happy to see senua get some recognition for audio and performance but i in no way feel like it's worthy of game of the year.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. The majority of music in Zelda can be more described as 'ambience' which should fall more into their 'Audio Achievement' category.

Nier being omitted is sad, however these are British awards and I don't think that game was a huge hit in this country to be fair.

lol keep it coming. I'll laugh if zelda ends up winning it

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeees, Clash Royale is a sure winner for evolving game. Besides Rainbow Six those nominees are weak.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It would be nice if FFXV wins best evolving game but I think Siege got it, the salt would be something to see though.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I honestly think Cuphead has a chance at winning all of the awards it's nominated for.

Just for fun, here are my predictions

Best Game: Horizon Zero Dawn
Artistic: Cuphead
Audio: Hellblade
British: Warhammer 2
Debut: Cuphead
Evolving: Fortnite
Family: Mario Odyssey
Game Beyond: Life is Strange
Design: Nier Automata
Mobile: (N/A I haven't played any of the nominees)
Multiplayer: Fortnite/Splatoon 2
Music: Cuphead
Narrative: Edith Finch
Original Property: Horizon Zero Dawn
Performer: Melina Juergens

I think BotW is going to win either Best Game or Design if not both.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn let's go Horizon, so many nominations...maybe the most? I didn't count but it's name certainly appeared a lot. Congrats to all the other candidates too, some really stellar games listed in there.