• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
New OP, courtesy of Bomblord himself. He puts a lot of effort in to these threads, so it made perfect sense to pass it over. Enjoy!

2018 Emulator Screenshot Thread!

Emulation can be a divisive topic for some but we can't really deny the amazing benefits it provides. From re-experiencing our old games in high resolutions to preservation of dead systems and libraries there are real tangible benefits to emulators and what they provide for the gaming community. This thread is to celebrate that and to give people a chance to share what we can do with these amazing pieces of software.

Thread rules below

1. Emulated shots only. In other words the game must be running in an emulation software of some kind no ports/remasters/remakes/PC version etc.
2. No shopped shots. The images should reflect what a player can see while running the game. HD textures, ENB, reshade, etc are all fine but adding anything to the shot after it was taken is forbidden.
3. Include the game's name, system, and preferably emulator and settings in your post's subject header or within the post in some capacity
4. Critical analysis is welcome, telling someone the shot is awful is not.
5. Limit of 3 images per post doesn't matter if they are from different games the same game or running on different platforms. Only 3.
6. No double posting.

Emulators/Instructions

In order to emulate games you'll need an actual emulator. While some systems (especially retro ones) have multiple viable emulators I am attempting to link the ones that as far as I'm aware are the best option for their respective system. There still might be better emulators or offshoot of these emulators for specific games.

Console Emulation
WiiU Emulation: Cemu
Wii, Gamecube Emulation: Dolphin
Xbox 360 Emulation: http://xenia.jp/ (barely working state)
PS3 Emulation: RPCS3
PS2 Emulation: PCSX2 (requires ripped BIOS)
PSX Emulation: Epsxe/Mednafen(better experience with BIOS)
N64 Emulation: Project 64/Mupen64
SNES Emulation: SNES9X/higan
Master System, Game Gear, Genesis/Megadrive, SegaCD/MegaCD, 32X Emulation: Kega Fusion
Saturn Emulation: Mednafen
Dreamcast Emulation: DEmul

Handheld Emulation
Switch Emulation: YUZU (currently in a barely/nonworking state)
Vita Emulation: Vita 3K(barely working state)
3DS Emulation: Citra
PSP Emulation: PPSSPP
DS Emulation: DESMUME
GB, GBC, GBA Emulation: MGBA/Visual Boy Advance

Arcade Emulation
Sega Model 2 Emulation: Elsemi's Model 2 Emulator
Sega Model 3 Emulation: Supermodel
Multiple Arcade Machine Emulation: MAME
Sega Naomi, Naomi 2, Atomiswave Emulation: DEmul

Obtaining ROMS

Keep in mind in order to legally run a game through an emulator you will need to rip it yourself. There is no other legal way to obtain a ROM and it is not legal to download a ROM of a game you already own. This isn't a dedicated system modding thread so the information I'm leaving here is extremely basic and only based on my limited knowledge of the systems I myself have ripped games for or have researched ripping games for.

WiiU: in order to dump a game you will need a modded WiiU and then software like the DDD WiiU title dumper
Wii: in order to dump Wii games you will either need to mod a Wii or the Wii portion of a WiiU (the process is the same on both). Once modded install cleanrip to the homebrew channel and dump the game to a flash drive or SD card.
PS3: Dump games from a modded PS3 system or with a compatible Blu-Ray Drivestraight to your PC
PS2: PS2 is thankfully incredibly easy. Insert your PS2 disc into any standard DVD-R or DVD-RW drive and use imgburn to dump the game to a file.
PS1: The process is the same as the PS2
PSP: First on a Vita download your PSP game of choice from the PSN store and open the content manager. On a Windows PC download and install the content manager assistant connect it to your Vita and then choose to backup applications from your Vita to the PC. Once installed grab your PSN AID from the folder name (C:\Users\youruserName\Documents\PS Vita\PGAME\foldername) and then input into this website to get a decryption key. Finally download this tool and run it from the command line with the arguments psvimg-extract.exe -K decryptionKeyFromTheWebsite "location\of\game.psvimg" "saved\file\location"
N64/SNES/NES/GBA/Most cartridge based consoles: I'm lumping these together as the process is fairly esoteric and sometimes can require hardmodding your system. However, there are tools you can purchase to rip the games directly to your PC. The best option I know of is the Retro Freak which at this time goes for $200USD + International Shipping and supports
  1. Nintendo Entertainment System (NTSC/PAL)
  2. Famicom (Japanese version NES)
  3. Super Famicom (Japanese version SNES)
  4. Super Nintendo Entertainment System (NTSC/PAL)
  5. Game Boy
  6. Game Boy Color
  7. Game Boy Advance
  8. Mega Drive (NTSC/PAL) *
  9. Genesis (US version Mega Drive) *
  10. PC Engine (Japanese version TurboGrafx-16)
  11. TurboGrafx-16
  12. PC Engine SuperGrafix
It's a retro gaming console that gives you the option of backing up any inserted cartridge to the SD card. There's also the Retrode 2 which supports a much smaller number of cartridges and requires additional adapters but can be plugged into a USB port on a PC. It is no longer being sold but can occasionally be found on Ebay.
3DS: A modded 3DS/2DS and GodMode 9
DS: Same as 3DS

I apologize for my lack of knowledge of Sega Systems but I do not own any so I've never tried dumping any of their disc based games if someone wants to send me the info I can update this for that.

Featured Shots

Just as a little extra incentive to post nice shots I will feature a few from time to time from the thread congrats to all that were chosen :D

How I choose featured shots
1. They had to follow the rules (no shots without listed settings etc).
2. I only chose 3 as the thread rules are 3 per post.
3. I did not put more than 1 shot from the same platform or game. I want the op to reflect the diversity of the systems and games present in this thread it would be boring to see all SMG shots or all Wii shots.
4. No more than 1 shot from the same user
5. I won't be posting my own shots in the OP.

Game: Majora's Mask
System: N64
Emulator: P64 with GlideN64
Enhancements: MXAO (via ReShade) and HD textures
project642017-12-292343kdo.jpg

Game: Pokémon Sun
System: 3DS
Emulator: Citra
Enhancements: 10x internal res
UM5FpN.png

Game: Daytona USA 2: Battle on the Edge
System: Sega Model 3
Emulator: Supermodel
Enhancements: 2160p
40022477121_f37278aa63_o.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Game: Dead Or Alive
System: Sega Model 2
Emulator: ElSemi's Model 2 Emulator
Enhancements: 1920x1080, widescreen tweak, 8X MSAA + 8X SSAA
http:///C69c.png
http:///D69c.png

Game: Sonic Fighters
System: Sega Model 2
Emulator: ElSemi's Model 2 Emulator
Enhancements: 1920x1080, widescreen tweak, 8X MSAA + 8X SSAAhttp:///F69c.png

Last edited:

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see this thread back. Sega Model 2 still looks amazing and scales up great in emulation.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
With a few minor changes and upgrades to the environments and sprites that don't scale, I would totally love for a modern game to have character/vehicle models like Virtua Figther 2 and Sega Rally. They look outstanding in HD.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Model 2 is just a phenomenal piece of hardware. I owned a Sega Rally cabinet a few years back and I'm still depressed about selling it.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are we going to get a full emulation Thread on here or just Pictures from said emulators? Not sure where the line is. I do want to discuss PS2 and Nintendo Emulators.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
So are we going to get a full emulation Thread on here or just Pictures from said emulators? Not sure where the line is. I do want to discuss PS2 and Nintendo Emulators.

I think the emulator threads are starting to appear. Last time I checked we had PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, Wii U, and PS3 already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Game: Fatal Frame II
System: PlayStation 2
Emulator: PCSX2
Enhancements: 1920x1080, widescreen patch, 4X Internal Resolution, FXAA
http:///S69c.png

Game: Dark Cloud 2
Enhancements: 1920x1080, widescreen patch, 4X Internal Resolution, FXAAhttp:///V69c.png

Game: Resident Evil Outbreak: File #1
Enhancements: 1920x1080, widescreen patch, 6X Internal Resolution, FXAAhttp:///T69c.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Game: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
Enhancements: 1920x1080, widescreen tweak, 4X MSAA + 4X SSAA
http:///fA9c.png http:///gA9c.png
JCODZ.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Game: Scud Race
http:///eA9c.png

Game: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Enhancements: 1920x1080, widescreen tweak, 4X MSAA + 4X SSAAhttp:///hA9c.png

Game: Virtua Fighter 3
JC7sK.png

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yo OP how'd you get those Model 2 games to look like that? What emulator are you using if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yo OP ho'd you get those Model 2 games to look like that? What emulator are you using if you don't mind me asking?

This... http://nebula.emulatronia.com/

Along with tweaking the ini for resolution, and 8xMSAA + 8xSSAA via NVIDIA Control Panel. Also using the LUA scripts for widescreen.
The emulator hasn't had any support for a few years, but it is the best there is for now. MAME can't handle Model 2 yet.

Do note that a fair amount of Model 2 and 3 games don't work too great with the widescreen tweaks. Best to experiment a bit.

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
This thread just made me rage at Sega not releasing all the Model 3 games on digital stores (and stopping the Model 2 stuff without much trying).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
This... http://nebula.emulatronia.com/

Along with tweaking the ini for resolution, and 8xMSAA + 8xSSAA via NVIDIA Control Panel. Also using the LUA scripts for widescreen.
The emulator hasn't had any support for a few years, but it is the best there is for now. MAME can't handle Model 2 yet.

Do note that a fair amount of Model 2 and 3 games don't work too great with the widescreen tweaks. Best to experiment a bit.
Thanks mate.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Is there no way to make the AVI recording on Visual Advance look good? It looks so ass whenever I play it back. I only tried the uncompressed and the Logitech options, but they both turn out ass. I didn't want to have to download OBS Studio because it seems complicated, but I can't make a video with garbage-ass footage.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
Majora's Mask in P64 with GlideN64, MXAO (via ReShade) and HD textures:
project642017-12-292343kdo.jpg

35311349612_08f3100862_o.jpg

35971712655_deb44f2a87_o.png

I don't really feel disappointed about hating MM3D thanks to all the enhancement options available for the original now.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Does anyone know how I can start back reloading my regular game saves in VisualBoy Advance? It keeps loading a save state and I keep losing progress. I do not want to to do all that shit again. Immediately after I saved the game then close it and reopen it, I'm ten levels behind where I was despite just saving it right before I fought this boss.

I tried Import > battery file and imported the .sa1 file, but that didn't work. the game gives me a warning when I do that too.

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Post the emu you're using folks, and if it's actually playable if it's more obscure stuff like Model 2/Model 3 emus!

Checked to see how Endless Ocean 2 runs on Dolphin. I love this game. No real improvements chosen in the settings, standard Wii:
dolphin_2018_01_28_00ctr7h.png
dolphin_2018_01_28_00t0oom.png
dolphin_2018_01_28_01kpo3m.png
dolphin_2018_01_28_0188ogw.png

Endless Ocean 3 with more realism/less fantasy please Arika! Environmentalism and shit are fashionable now, just do it, do it, do it!

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Aww someone else made it before I could make threads :')

GG OP I'll be participating at some point I'm sure. I have a lot of old ones I can dig up.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I love Endless Ocean too.

Subnautica scratches the itch pretty well, if you haven't played that.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Rune Factory TOD

Dolphin
Settings:
4x internal res
2xAA
2x AF
per pixel lighting

QLsqY4p.png

Ea7rvvu.png

so3ee9-2k5ph5.png

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Aww someone else made it before I could make threads :')

GG OP I'll be participating at some point I'm sure. I have a lot of old ones I can dig up.

Your thread on Gaf was great.

I wasn't sure who made it over here at first since I didn't see the popular threads. Only later did I find out that a lot of users couldn't make threads for 30 days. Did you try the user adoption program thing to try and get it made?

Status
Not open for further replies.