• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
A few responses to some of the comments and inquiries in this thread...

=============================

1. I do "require" tracking, but I can't begin to count the number of people who don't send it. I mean, the gift they send shows up, so at least they didn't stiff anyone?

2. I have tried to push for two categories for years. I want US Only and International, but I get tons of complaints that people can't commit to FULL international but would be able to do a few countries or within their territory. And then people will complain if they live in the US and get paired with someone in London but get a gift from someone in the US. So that turns into a whole thing. I may just have to suck it up and tell folks that those are the only two categories this year, and if you cannot 100% commit to it, please do not sign up.

3. Elfster was nice because it automated the process, but too many people sort of just "ignored it" after a while and made things extra difficult. Sending things manually is fine, but the PM time gate makes the process SLOW and cumbersome.

4. Similar to tracking, there is NO backlash for NOT sending a gift outside of not being able to participate in future exchanges.

5. Handling back and forth communication is also super difficult. I know you wouldn't think so, but let's use an example to illustrate the issue...
  • A sends to B and B sends to C.
  • A has a question about what B likes/wants so they message me. Here is a typical conversation log:
    • A: Hey Saint Nic! Can you ask my Tiny Tim if they like chocolates? Thanks!
    • Nic: Sure! Who is your Tiny Tim?
    • A: It's B. Oh and also ask if they would want some <strange goo>!
    • -I send a message to B. I get a response two days later.-
    • B: Thanks Nic! Tell A I like only like milk chocolate - none of the dark or white chocolate trash! lol Also, I wouldn't say no to <strange goo>! Hey, since I have you, can you ask my Tiny Tim if they have the following X1X games or PS4 games? <Game1, Game 2, Game 3> Happy Holidays!
    • Nic: Sure. Can you remind me who your Tiny Tim is?
    • B: It's C. Please check if they have a Coleco Vision, too! I have a few extra games I'd love to send them!
    • Nic: I'll see what I can find out!
This is just one simple back and forth. The thing is, I know have to go back and see who is B matched to (when you've got 100+ matches, it's a lot to sort through) and make sure to send the message B sent back to A. I also need to send the question B asked to C. And manage that conversation log. AND have like, 100 conversations going on like that.

The use of helper elves has been definitely a big help. But it doesn't actually FIX the biggest issues of making managing this a full time job. Which, I don't actually mind doing (hence why I've been doing it for years).

So I'm looking for a better process to handle that sort of back and forth. If anyone has any ideas, I am ALL ears!

=============================

My plan is to put a signup out on 11/1/2019 and close it 11/22/2019. I will work to have matches out that weekend because I will be out of the country for two weeks shortly after. So I won't be able to do much unfortunately from 11/29 - 12/16. I will HAVE to have someone else handle communication at that point, unless there's a solution yet to come.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
My plan is to put a signup out on 11/1/2019 and close it 11/22/2019. I will work to have matches out that weekend because I will be out of the country for two weeks shortly after. So I won't be able to do much unfortunately from 11/29 - 12/16. I will HAVE to have someone else handle communication at that point, unless there's a solution yet to come.
Should we take this to mean Elfster has been fully ruled out this year? If I haven't explicitly stated it, I'm of the opinion it can work much better as long as we establish in the beginning that users have to use their actual email accounts and watch for notifications there, and provide a FAQ to quash common misunderstandings that happened last year.

OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Should we take this to mean Elfster has been fully ruled out this year? If I haven't explicitly stated it, I'm of the opinion it can work much better as long as we establish in the beginning that users have to use their actual email accounts and watch for notifications there, and provide a FAQ to quash common misunderstandings that happened last year.

No not at all. I'm still finalizing a few details and will keep everyone updated accordingly!

euricaeris

Oct 26, 2017
Is there perhaps a way to give people a window to sign-up on Elfster, then remove anyone in the group (before drawings) that don't include their Era name minimum? It'd help if Elfster would let you ask for particular info during sign-up, but it seems like it doesn't (and even with my concerns with it, I'd rather use that than have you handle everything yourself as it sounds like a nightmare!).

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
I really appreciate you adding the UK pool last year as its saves a load on postage meaning i could get my TT a much better gift.
I did noticed that it was only a tiny pool so i totally understand if you scrapped it, however whats the possibility of a 3rd European pool?
US - International - Europe?