• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 23, 2017
I wasn't getting any thread notifications until a couple of posts ago when I mentioned it, now I'm getting more.

Parcel update. My package to my Tiny Tim is available for collection as they were unable to deliver it (think it needed signing for)

Secret Santa's package has cleared customs and should be delivered tomorrow, it's a public holiday here today.
Yay! I was wondering why it wasnt moving.

If you stop checking in on a thread, the notification don't pop up. Like I only check in occasionally on one topic in my watch, but if I stop too long, I stop getting notification. But the watched threads link will tell me if there's new posts.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
It arrived! As soon as I opened the box and saw Ghirardelli chocolate, you had already won Xmas gift of the year, I loooooove that. Can't get it here and once in a while I'll order some hot chocolate from the US. I've never had the milk chocolate before. So we got here....

Mini Lake Tahoe Tote Bag
1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle of the World
Lake Tahoe Postcard
Electrum IPA Sticker
75th Disney Anniversary Sketchbook (sorry, but the little chipmunks broke off the book in transit, will glue back together)
2x Lake Tahoe mugs (great for taking camping!)
Maple Syrup (yusss!)
De La Rosa Marzipan candy
Duvalín Candy
About a dozen lollipops of a brand and flavour I can't understand lol
Ghirardelli Chocolate
Fisherman's Wharf Herby Lemon Seafood Seasoning (I love seafood so this will definitely get used)
2 little wooden(?) Lake Tahoe style stickers
PSVR Tetris Effect (How did to u know, you stalker! 😂)

Blown away, thank you Eye for an Eye!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
It arrived! As soon as I opened the box and saw Ghirardelli chocolate, you had already won Xmas gift of the year, I loooooove that. Can't get it here and once in a while I'll order some hot chocolate from the US. I've never had the milk chocolate before. So we got here....

Mini Lake Tahoe Tote Bag
1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle of the World
Lake Tahoe Postcard
Electrum IPA Sticker
75th Disney Anniversary Sketchbook (sorry, but the little chipmunks broke off the book in transit, will glue back together)
2x Lake Tahoe mugs (great for taking camping!)
Maple Syrup (yusss!)
De La Rosa Marzipan candy
Duvalín Candy
About a dozen lollipops of a brand and flavour I can't understand lol
Ghirardelli Chocolate
Fisherman's Wharf Herby Lemon Seafood Seasoning (I love seafood so this will definitely get used)
2 little wooden(?) Lake Tahoe style stickers
PSVR Tetris Effect (How did to u know, you stalker! 😂)

Blown away, thank you Eye for an Eye!
It was my Tetris skills that got everything in that box. I kept seeing game play videos of the new Tetris and I couldn't stand it. My boyfriend got it when it went on sale and I gave in to play it. It really is awesome, and they say its even better with the VR.

And I have no idea about the candies either. I just know they're popular Mexican candies they sell at the flea market here.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Well I finally got home and was able to open up my gift. It's my birthday today so I'm just gonna consider it a birthday present instead of a Christmas one lol.

juXNNsY.jpg

Got a wonderful package from Italy! A bunch of Italian chocolates, some CDs and a nice handwritten letter.

Thanks so much FairyEmpire! I'll definately get back to you after I've tried the chocolates and listened to the CDs you gave me.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I finally got home and was able to open up my gift. It's my birthday today so I'm just gonna consider it a birthday present instead of a Christmas one lol.

juXNNsY.jpg

Got a wonderful package from Italy! A bunch of Italian chocolates, some CDs and a nice handwritten letter.

Thanks so much FairyEmpire! I'll definately get back to you after I've tried the chocolates and listened to the CDs you gave me.

Happy you finally had the chance to get back to the package! Hopefully you'll like it all :)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't getting any thread notifications until a couple of posts ago when I mentioned it, now I'm getting more.

Parcel update. My package to my Tiny Tim is available for collection as they were unable to deliver it (think it needed signing for)

Secret Santa's package has cleared customs and should be delivered tomorrow, it's a public holiday here today.
Sorry, Gen X - When your package arrived, we were just enjoying a a few days in the beautiful Austrian alps.

Luckily, our apartment building has a package deposite box, so i could fetch your package right when we got home.
Thank you so much for all the thoughtful gifts :)

My wardrobe's actually missing casual white shirts, really loving this one!
Can't wait to try the Jaffas; The card game looks like Star Wars meets Exploding Kittens, so that should be fun, too!

I think your package to me must be one of the most "Full International" - should've traveled roughly 18.000km.

also, heh...

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Sorry, Gen X - When your package arrived, we were just enjoying a a few days in the beautiful Austrian alps.

Luckily, our apartment building has a package deposite box, so i could fetch your package right when we got home.
Thank you so much for all the thoughtful gifts :)

My wardrobe's actually missing casual white shirts, really loving this one!
Can't wait to try the Jaffas; The card game looks like Star Wars meets Exploding Kittens, so that should be fun, too!

I think your package to me must be one of the most "Full International" - should've traveled roughly 18.000km.

also, heh...
I was pissed at the shipping, it spent 8 days in Melbourne. I just thought the tracking hadn't been updated. I've lived in Aussie and their postal service is third world, it's terrible. Look at this tracking 🤔

22/1/2019 03:42
International departure, Auckland, New Zealand
22/1/2019 14:30
International arrival, Melbourne, Australia
30/1/2019 01:57
International departure, Melbourne, Australia

Glad you enjoyed your gifts. Wasn't sure if you were a necklace/pendant sort of guy but Greenstone is a bit of a treasure here and it's considered bad luck to buy one for yourself. All greenstone should be blessed after they've been carved and they have been known to bring luck as there are different designs.

Anyway, that's two of us that have recieved our gifts even if it was a bit late. I've already started putting money away for this year's Secret Santa so I don't get any unexpected bills.

OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So a lot has been happening in my life lately. I'm not going to go into it here (no pity party for this guy), but I have been posting VERY little here or elsewhere lately as a result.

Also, I only recently noticed that I wasn't receiving notifications (again) for this thread. I saw someone tagged me recently and I thought to myself, "Oh shit, I need to check in on the thread." Well, that was on my phone. The next time I had a chance to sit down on my PC, I forgot about it. And didn't think about it again until later.

Whatever the case, I was contacted by someone about issues with deliveries? I also was told that the full list was never added to the thread. Apparently when I made the edits at work, it didn't save. Our location west of Indy is currently in transition from one ISP to another, so there's a good chance that the connection timed out and I didn't due my job and verify that the post was indeed updated.

So that said, here is a list of all of the matches I have available to me that I had to create via Elfster.

PgLJf0E.jpg

Obuj8NN.jpg

iXBpea8.jpg

Any name that has a (?) after it is one where I don't have the username and only have a name. And unfortunately, I don't really have a way to obtain any additional information.

As it stands, there's nothing I can really do to fix those without gifts. I'm sorry that it happened, but hopefully some folks can think of ways to figure this out and how to help people.

And I'm sorry I disappeared for a while. I needed time to myself and to get shit together. Like I said, there's a lot going on in my life and the world, and I have really needed this time away from shit. I'll still be around and will do my absolute best to check in and help out however I can moving forward.

Thanks guys. Love y'all.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
It's too bad there is no record of the username for my SS, now they could possibly grift people again if we do SS this year. Such a shame.

Nov 23, 2017
Ah, so Infinitebento didn't send anything to me... such is the luck of Secret Santa 🎅
I don't think she'd stick you up like that. There's no harm in sending a message to her.
It's too bad there is no record of the username for my SS, now they could possibly grift people again if we do SS this year. Such a shame.
Same here. I got a message that it got shipped out through elfster, but I don't know from what country or tracking. I hope it gets here one day.

magnificent83

Oct 30, 2017
I'm ?wood. Made sure to enter my erausername but I guess it didn't take. But yep, I'm still waiting. Not even heard back from my Secret Santa

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
uhhhhh excuse me???? I sent out your package the week of the deadline. I wasnt aware you hadn't received it as I got a delivery notification weeks ago. Nice way to PM me about it and ask versus being a dick.

Sorry, I was annoyed because I hadn't heard anything at all during Secret Santa and was posting in here since I didn't know who my SS was until today, and didn't get a notification in Elfster. I should have PMd you instead of adding you to a post. Can you send me the tracking number if you still have it so I can figure out where it ended up?

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Nico said if there's a ? It means no username was given, so I just checked to see who their SS was from the list. I've contacted ghostsofst4rm4n for any information about his TT, which is the same as your SS

I have email addresses for most of the unknown people, but that's about it. How many people didn't receive gifts this year total?

magnificent83

Oct 30, 2017
I'm updating my list with the new information we have.

I'll pm those SS who don't have usernames, so please be patient.

I saw the message after nicoga3000 posted the initial list in the OP. I never actually received an email. I'll just wait and see what happens eventually.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So sorry to hear some people got issues with getting or sending stuff. I personally had my share of trouble sending my package, but I took the effort of talking to my TT about it. Must be disappointing not even knowing if a package is due or not.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the username field should be mandatory on Elfster, would clear up a lot of this confusion.

Anyways, thanks a lot Nicoga for doing all this work again and strength to you on the real life issues!

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mine is lost in transit too. I don't know how to reach my SS as it's a ??? Name, and thier SS name doesn't come up in the search results either.

I'll hold out hope it's drifting slowly around the world to me.
I can I send an email to "Tran" and see what comes of it.

Hey, so sorry for the whole confusion with Elfster. The package is apparently estimated to arrive next week (was given an ETA of 7 to 28 business days), I was dumb enough to throw out the tracking receipt but I'll call the post office tomorrow. Elfster is hella confusing to use but hopefully issues iron out in 2019.

Nov 23, 2017
Hey, so sorry for the whole confusion with Elfster. The package is apparently estimated to arrive next week (was given an ETA of 7 to 28 business days), I was dumb enough to throw out the tracking receipt but I'll call the post office tomorrow. Elfster is hella confusing to use but hopefully issues iron out in 2019.
Yay. I could care less about it's arrival date. I'm happy it's still on its way. Now I have something to look forward to.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for never getting around to this, but I just wanted to confirm that the second part of my gift showed up (ages ago) from my SS CM_Ace, but I... kind of forgot to say anything about it.
NeepowL.jpg

b5NCBkx.jpg

It's a Tokyo Treat box full of Japanese snacks!
Thank you so much!

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I'm Prowse(?) if that helps anything.
I never submitted shipped info on elfster because I lost the shipping info lol
My SS did post what I sent though

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel that on the non-administrative side, all the issues people had with Elfster was just people not reading the manual. My TT and SS went off without a hitch here. I can't speak to any issues on actually running the pools.

Honestly, I think that short of developing our own system from scratch we're not going to get any better than Elfster if you want any level of automation. I had a proxy forum bot in my mind but hobbytime is short on my end to be able to actually make what I imagined and it would need approval from the development team of ResetEra itself (Cerium et al) as it wouldn't be able to operate effectively under the standard user messaging limits.

Nov 23, 2017
I can't help but feel that on the non-administrative side, all the issues people had with Elfster was just people not reading the manual. My TT and SS went off without a hitch here. I can't speak to any issues on actually running the pools.

I don't think elfster caused much trouble, other than a few names not showing up correctly. And it is strange that a banned user signed up but it seems they delivered on their gift.

It seems most of us had unexpected expenses pop up and derailed shipping. I completely understand that international is expensive, and willing to bite the bullet on cost, but a minor set back can mean a set back on shipping. My SS was late, I was really late, even my TT's gift went out late. To me, it's the thought that counts, and I'm excited no matter the day it arrives.

Oct 27, 2017
Get rid of the pools would make match ups super easy
I only wanted one, but a number of people said they wouldn't participate this way. However, I'm wondering if I need to say "sorry not sorry" in the future. Still thinking about it.
From the size of this year's pools, in the future there should be two pools at most - US-only and full international. Only having one pool would be the simplest option but I suspect we would lose some of the US-only people.

I do think a few things should be made clear ahead of time for the next secret santa:
  • Posting photos here when you open your gifts should be mandatory - it didn't feel like as many people did that this year?
  • Tracking information should be mandatory and sent to the TT
  • People need to ship by the date specified. We all know what we're signing up for; it's hardly an unanticipated expense
And if we do use Elfster:
  • Putting your username on your profile should also be required
  • The site has an anonymous private messaging system, so people don't need to post those semi-public "anonymous questions" that anyone else in the exchange can see
  • Similarly, people who don't want to put their address or real names on their profiles for anyone to see can send it in a private message - I seem to remember there being a number of posts worried about that in this year's thread

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I only wanted one, but a number of people said they wouldn't participate this way. However, I'm wondering if I need to say "sorry not sorry" in the future. Still thinking about it.

From the size of this year's pools, in the future there should be two pools at most - US-only and full international. Only having one pool would be the simplest option but I suspect we would lose some of the US-only people.

Agreed, looking at the sizes these are the only two pools we should do next year. I always opt for full-international as it's the most fun to get something from another country (sorry Staffy for still getting the short stick of same country!) And i would also bring back the mandatory tracking codes. Yes it costs more but it's something everyone just has to accept before joining. You still have atleast 2 months to plan for it.

Buuut, in the end this is like a Kickstarter, you might get something for your investment or you might not. It's a public forum thing that is solely based on an honor system and has a risk involved. So i doubt we can have a 100% successful santa unless we do some kind of a pre-signup fee and registration system :D

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Agreed, looking at the sizes these are the only two pools we should do next year. I always opt for full-international as it's the most fun to get something from another country (sorry Staffy for still getting the short stick of same country!) And i would also bring back the mandatory tracking codes. Yes it costs more but it's something everyone just has to accept before joining. You still have atleast 2 months to plan for it.

That's it really, everyone that is partaking should know the costs involved with International Shipping or at least research a little bit online. If cost is a bit thing then send something through an online store like Amazon and follow it up with a small package of local sweets or similar.

Buuut, in the end this is like a Kickstarter, you might get something for your investment or you might not. It's a public forum thing that is solely based on an honor system and has a risk involved. So i doubt we can have a 100% successful santa unless we do some kind of a pre-signup fee and registration system :D

Makes it sound like a lottery. 😂

OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I do think a few things should be made clear ahead of time for the next secret santa:
  • Posting photos here when you open your gifts should be mandatory - it didn't feel like as many people did that this year?
  • Tracking information should be mandatory and sent to the TT
  • People need to ship by the date specified. We all know what we're signing up for; it's hardly an unanticipated expense
And if we do use Elfster:
  • Putting your username on your profile should also be required
  • The site has an anonymous private messaging system, so people don't need to post those semi-public "anonymous questions" that anyone else in the exchange can see
  • Similarly, people who don't want to put their address or real names on their profiles for anyone to see can send it in a private message - I seem to remember there being a number of posts worried about that in this year's thread

I mean, all of these things are expectations. But I can't really enforce them or punish people for not doing them. The only option is to say, "You can't participate next year." But they got free shit, so what do they care?

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, all of these things are expectations. But I can't really enforce them or punish people for not doing them. The only option is to say, "You can't participate next year." But they got free shit, so what do they care?

This has been a frustrating week tracking down Secret Santas who didn't send presents.

What should be the next step? Even though we have some information on them, I don't think they care enough to make things right?

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This has been a frustrating week tracking down Secret Santas who didn't send presents.

What should be the next step? Even though we have some information on them, I don't think they care enough to make things right?

Uhh, anything else that I can do besides let my SS know that it's on the way? Third year doing this and this is the first I've hit a snag so idk what to do.

Edit: I don't think I'm obliged to a present if the person that signed up got banned. It should be allgees.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I'm willing to send a present to someone who didn't receive one when we get this all sorted out.
I need good karma this year

Nov 23, 2017
Uhh, anything else that I can do besides let my SS know that it's on the way? Third year doing this and this is the first I've hit a snag so idk what to do.

Edit: I don't think I'm obliged to a present if the person that signed up got banned. It should be allgees.

Not much can be done at this point. Its up to the postal system to work. Although calling your postal system and/or the US postal may magically move it along.

I'm sorry your SS bailed on you. Thats not fair at all.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Happy you finally had the chance to get back to the package! Hopefully you'll like it all :)

So I finally got a chance to try all the treats and listen to the CDs.

The chocolates were great, especially the white chocolates with the nuts in them. Really great taste and texture.

The candied chestnuts were very unique but I liked them too. Very different from anything we see in Canada.

I ate the taller cake with ice cream as I assumed you wouldn't eat a pound cake like thing just on its own. It was pretty decent too. What do you traditionally have with it?

The other cake (a kind of fruit cake I think?) I ate with whipped cream and liked it better than the first one. Not a huge fan of fruit cake but this one was soft and moist unlike the hard crap you can barely eat here.

Now on to the CD's:

I listened to all of them in full and quite enjoyed every one. My favorite though was probably the Ministri album. Their songs really worked for me as I liked that they let their music do the talking a lot of the time, leaving many sections lyric-less so you could really think about and experience the song.

Overall it was a fantastic and very thoughtful gift. I didn't get much time to shop when I was in Italy back in January so to come home to all of this was a very nice treat.

Thanks again man!