• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
*Rules*

- Each person makes a list of up to 10 entries. No more than 10, please. Their #1 will get 10 points, #2 will get 9 points, #3 will get 8, and so on. Unranked lists will not be tallied. Do not list more than one show per number (eg. no ties).

- Editing is permitted for as long as the thread stays open.

- After voting ends, I will compile a single list based on the established point system.

- Add your thoughts for each show and some of them may be included in the results thread!

Sample Ballot

You don't have to follow this format strictly, but it will make the thread a lot easier and avoid any complications. Thanks!

1. TV Show A ; Your thoughts on TV Show A.
2. TV Show B ; Your thoughts on TV Show B.
3. TV Show C ; Your thoughts on TV Show C.
4. TV Show D ; Your thoughts on TV Show D.
5. TV Show E ; Your thoughts on TV Show E.
6. TV Show F ; Your thoughts on TV Show F.
7. TV Show G ; Your thoughts on TV Show G.
8. TV Show H ; Your thoughts on TV Show H.
9. TV Show I ; Your thoughts on TV Show I.
10. TV Show J ; Your thoughts on TV Show J.

Eligibility

Any new TV series or miniseries, or any season of an existing series that aired in 2018 is eligible.

TV Movies, Foreign series, Reality series, and Documentaries (e.g. Planet Earth 2, O.J.: Made in America) are all eligible.

Anime is not eligible, seeing as how there's already a separate voting thread that is specifically for the best anime of the year.

Sports are not eligible, nor are comedy specials.

Here's a list of 2018 TV shows for reference.

~ I'll also be taking votes for TV Fail of the Year! ~

- Each person makes a list of up to 3 entries. No more than 3, please. Their #1 will get 3 points, #2 will get 2 points, and #3 will get 1. Unranked lists will not be tallied.

- Please try to include a comment for each fail so people can get a sense of why you thought it deserved to be mentioned in this category.

- Make sure to clearly distinguish between your two lists (Best/Fail), so as to avoid any confusion.

- Fail of the Year isn't just limited to TV shows, so feel free to talk about broader aspects of the TV industry - concerning trends, disappointing networks, etc.

- This is a completely optional category, so if you only want to list your top 10 best shows of the year, then feel free to do just that!

Voting will end at 12 am on February 1.

Link to the previous voting threads - 2017 Voting Thread

Oct 28, 2017
1. The Last Kingdom
2. Outlander
3. Superstore
4. Timeless
5. Lost in Space
6. Altered Carbon
7. Norsemen

There's probably more but it's hard to keep track of what I've watched in 2018 that actually came out in 2018.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subbing!
Still have a few shows to get to before compiling a list

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
1. The Terror ; Maybe the most intense and unforgiving show I've seen in some time. It was very affecting to watch these characters grapple with isolation and their own fragilities. Some emerge humbled but stronger together while others discover the bitter sad truth of their own nature.

2. Patrick Melrose ; One of the best shows I've seen about dealing with severe childhood trauma and taking responsibility for how you let that affect your life and those around you as an adult.

3. Better Call Saul ; Arguably the best running show on television hasn't lost a step and, in my opinion, supplants Breaking Bad.

4. Daredevil ; I went in expecting another well made action romp. What I got was a surprisingly intimate story that was largely about scarred and flawed people struggling to accept themselves and, in some cases, each other. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the cathartic performances of Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio.

5. Sharp Objects ; Amy Adams gave one of the most relatable performances I've seen regarding self loathing from the way she carried herself both in private and around people.

6. Barry ; This show came out of nowhere. Bill Hader's crafted a real gem with this dryly hilarious but surprisingly tragic dark comedy.

7. A Series of Unfortunate Events ; Again, it's a cute show.

8. Castlevania ; Not a consumer of the source material but this was a fun show that improved drastically over the first season. Shifting the focus to Alucard and Dracula, and his devious subjects, was a wise decision.

Fail of the Year:

I didn't even bother to watch House of Cards so...……………

1. NETFLIX ; Daredevil disserved better.

2. Westworld ; Far from the worst show I've ever seen but I'm really bewildered at how much hype and adulation this show gets while being almost consistently underwhelming. Some great performances though, I'll give it that.

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Each year I tell myself to prepare something in advance of the thread. And every year it sneaks up on me and I have nothing. Curse you RatskyWatsky 👿👿👿👿👿👿👿👿👿👿👿👿

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
1. Killing Eve
2. Trial and error season 2
3. Kidding
4. Forever
5. Kimmy schmidt season 4
8. Barry
7. Bojack horseman season 5
8. The good place season 3
9. Arrested development season 5
10. Glow season 2

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
So glad to see I have until 2/1, still a few shows like Sharp Objects to watch.

Is Kim's Convenience eligible? I know it aired in Canada 16/17 but then added to Netflix this year but it's not on that list :(

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Cobra Kai
  2. G.L.O.W. Season 2
  3. Daredevil Season 3
  4. Castlevania
  5. Jessica Jones Season 2
  6. Legends of Tomorrow Season 4
  7. Doctor Who
  8. Voltron
  9. Westworld
  10. Arrow Season 6
Fail List
  1. Netflix cancelling the Marvel shows
  2. The Roseanne debacle
  3. WWE taking blood money from Saudi Arabia for events with no women allowed to wrestle
I'll come back after I've caught up on a few more shows. But my fail list isn't likely to change. Without anime, this list is going to be a little harder.

Last edited:

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Americans
2. Atlanta
3. Sharp Objects
4. Better Call Saul
5. Daredevil
6. The Haunting of Hill House

still need to catch up on a few shows, will update later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Is Kim's Convenience eligible? I know it aired in Canada 16/17 but then added to Netflix this year but it's not on that list :(

That list isn't comprehensive by any means, but if a show didn't air in 2018 then it probably wouldn't be included in the TV of the Year list.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Best Of The Year:
2018tvposters23e89.png

1. Lodge 49; A show that almost defies explanation, Lodge 49 is the standout of the year. One can easily describe what it is about(ex-surfer is adrift in his life following the death of his father, joins a Fraternal Lodge), or compare it to others(Terriers minus the detective angle, John From Cincinnati but less up its own ass), but said descriptions don't even come close to the show proper. The confidence of the storytelling, the downbeat warmth radiating from all corners, the perfect cast of characters and actors, the lackadaisical but somehow still incredibly involving 'mythology' and mystery afoot. A true blue masterpiece.

2. Channel Zero: Butcher's Block; A wonder of a show that is better gone into blind. It has a great everything, in particular Olivia Luccardi and Holland Roden do truly fantastic work. And the show makes great use of faces, which is a weird thing to say but it is the first and most potent aspect of the show in my mind. So much of the show is carried by the looks on people's faces.

3. The Haunting of Hill House; The ending of "The Bent-Neck Lady" is one of the finest bits of filmmaking on the small screen in quite some time. And then, as if in response to itself, the show tops it with the ending of the following episode, "Two Storms". Normally such excellence would rocket this to the top but there were a small number of issues I had with it, relatively minor as most of them are. It is still an immense achievement and is sure to be the future watermark for any discussion about adaptations being worthwhile despite their failures of fidelity to the source material.

4. Anne With An E; The other "little" show on my list, this is a wonderful optimistic slice of life story. Expertly cast, Amybeth McNulty(the titular Anne) gives one of the best performances of the year, the show is also packed with some beautiful cinematography. And the whole thing is a testament to how earnest emotion and quality craft can elevate simple stories to greatness. And did I mention it is a gorgeous show?
Anne.gif

5. Killing Eve; Everyone everywhere has already said what can be said about it. The acting is beyond excellent, it is fun and funny, with great spy-fi plotting, and a delicious pairing with Eve and Villanelle.

6. Insatiable; Oh Insatiable, I feel like I am the only person who loves you. A dark comedy about a terrible person who is oblivious to her terribleness, the show works in a kind of Heathers-type mold, though more character focused and with less pointed(or maybe un-pointed) commentary. It is sad that a lot of people got all up in arms with the show's apparent "problems" and ignored it or allowed the bullshit to color their views. Patty Bladell is a wonderful anti-hero, a truly horrible person who can catch glimpses of the ugliness inside herself during the fallout of her actions but always finds an excuse to keep on being her horrible self.

The very end of the season where...
she kills her ex-boyfriend, who points out that she is in fact a bad person and that is why they belong together, by bashing him to death with a crowbar as she screams "I'm a good person!" over and over, it is just perfect. Especially as it comes not too far from her most insightful moment:
Coralee: "You don't need pageants."
Patty: "Except I do. I've been smart...my whole life. I've gotten straight A's. But nobody is dying to take the valedictorian to prom. I just want to know what it feels like to be beautiful."
Coralee: "You are beautiful."
Patty: "I don't feel it...I got thin. I got thin. I got a boyfriend. I got new friends. And I still feel like a loser.
I just kept thinking if I could get up there on that stage with those girls and if I could win that crown then maybe I would feel like...I was finally enough."
You were so close you beautiful monster.

7. The Alienist; This is a show that doesn't bring anything new to the table but still executes itself exceptionally well. Gorgeous production values(the world of late 19th century New York is stellar but somehow still outdone by the costuming), moody atmospherics and grisly gore, and with a perfect cast to keep it all moving. Dakota Fanning's pre-whine/wine merger pronunciation of "wh" is worth the price of admission alone. It very well might be her real pronunciation considering where she is from but regardless it is a delight every time I hear it.

8. The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell; Every now and then something gets made that is pitched 100% in your direction and TCCoCM is definitely that for me. Puppets(and monster puppets at that), the whole wholesome macabre vibe, arts and crafts, and a sexy retro housewife styled host. It is all of my dreams come true, all at once.

9. Westworld; Much like the situation with season 2 of Mr. Robot, I have no idea how people see this as a step down from the first season. An improvement on almost every level, most importantly in its pacing, this was a refreshingly energetic jolt that the show needed. It still had its ornate(or opaque ,or whatever positive or negative term you wish to apply to its story construction) method of storytelling but by splitting the cast into discrete units and having them constantly on the move, the show lost the inertness that plagued the first, still excellent, season.

10. Riverdale; Sometimes I question the sanity of the people who complain about Riverdale. Occasionally they have a point(Chic sucks, for instance) but the vast majority of the time they are railing against the magic of Riverdale, against the very blood in its veins. It is ridiculous, it is supposed to be ridiculous. And if it ever tried to rein its crazy in, if Dark Betty were to be cast aside for good, if Jingle Jangle were to disappear from the streets, if the crazy antics of these crazy kids were to be constrained by the specter of "realism", it would be the worst of all possible days.

Fails:

1. Yellowstone; A show that has everything going for it, a strong creator, it has the budget and it shows, and a great cast, but it is an unbelievable dud of a thing. The storytelling is so bizarre and ridiculous(but rarely in a fun Riverdale way) that is brings to question just how this got past the script stage. And, holy hell, is Kelly Reilly's Beth the most painful and terrible character in a long time.

2. Netflix cancelling the Marvel shows; And right when they were finally on an upswing. I'm a person who thinks that the second season of Iron Fist is easily the best season of Marvel on Netflix so to go from that and its wonderful cliffhanger to cancelled is beyond deflating.

Last edited:

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thread of the year. Going to try and watch some more shows before I put my list together. Looking forward to reading everyone else's choices as well.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Final list, fuck it.

1 - Big Mouth Season 2 - Just a fantastic second season to a show that had its ups and downs in Season 1 but it grew on me by the end, well this second season just completely knocked it out of the park, in no little part by the introduction of the Shame Wizard, one of the best characters introduced late into a show since Ben Wyatt in Parks & Rec. Just great comedy, meaningful message and positive views on sex which is, well, really fucking rare.

2 - Patriot Act Volume 1 - Netflix has struggled to get their own "late night talk show" but I feel after many failed (well, at least canceled) atempts, they finally nailed it with Patriot Act. In my opinion it is the true successor to Jon Stewart's Daily Show (no offense to Trevor Noah), Hasan is a fantastic host, his comedic timing is great, the topics are super interesting and the whole thing is just riveting to watch. Dont cancel this one Netflix!

3 - House on Haunted Hill Season 1 - Absolutely loved this one, it's a super fun ride of creepiness, plot twists and family drama. Amazing visuals, great spooks, some inventive direction and some great kid actors made this one of my favorites of the year. No idea how they do a season 2 of this without making it a anthology thing tho.

4 - Glow Season 2 - Season 2 is just as good as Season 1, if not better, with the same great blend of drama and comedy, great character acting, and just genuine love for the source material. Funny, endearing, emotional, Glow really has a bit of everything and I love it for it.

5 - American Vandal Season 2 - Bittersweet feelings on this considering the cancelation (FFS Netflix), but while not as good as the first season (I guess because nobody saw that one coming so the surprise element is gone), its still a great take on the "mockumentary" genre, and legit makes a super compelling story and mystery about the silliest of subjects (poop). I'll miss it dearly.

6 - Daredevil Season 3 - And another bittersweet moment for the same reason, even if these Marvel Netflix cancelations stopped being surprising a long time ago so it didnt hit me as hard as American Vandal. At least they go out with a bang, with arguably the best Season of DD, or any Marvel Netflix show really. Kingpin is back in all his scene chewing glory, and proto-Bullseye is amazingly done, which makes the fact we'll never have proper Bullseye in a later season hurt that much more. Shame.

7 - Brooklyn Nine Nine Season 5 - Always got to have the Nine Nine represented in my end of the year list, and it's always one of my favorite shows. Season 5 continues to be smart, funny, heartfelt (the Rosa bi-sexuality story line was great) and just overall my favorite comedy on tv. Thank god NBC picked it up.

8 - The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 1 - Fun but ultimately disapointing is how I would describe this. It was never going to be as dark as the comic book its pulling from, but I was hoping for a bit more...bite? Also Sabrina is very unlikable because of her weird decisions throughout the show. But, Ambrose (character made for the show, kinda works as a proxy for non-talking Salem) is fantastic and overall the show fills that Buffy the Vampire Slayer hole in my soul. Hopefully season 2 is better.

9 - Altered Carbon Season 1 - The epitome of style over substance, but it's so stylish that I can't help but love it. It's also gorgeous, you can literally see where the money went. Story goes off the deep end hard near the end, but it's always entertaining, and I can't wait to see more, especially since I'm a big Anthony Mackie fan (I actually didnt dislike Kinnaman in Season 1).

10 - Castlevania Season 2 - This was a very nice surprise, well the whole show but season 1 is so short and I watched them back to back that I'll include it here. Great art and super faithful to the videogames, this is pretty much everything one would want from an adaptation of said videogames. Would love to see these creators / studio tackle something like Dark Souls. Fun show, but thats about it.

Fail

1 - Netflix's cancelations. The change from "we let shows finish their runs" to "we just cancel anything we dont fully own" hurts, especially when it hits shows like American Vandal or Daredevil.

2 - Kevin Spacey/ House of Cards. I don't think I have to explain why Spacey is a fail(ure) but even tho I didn't watch it, the consensus seems to be that House of Cards last season was a bust and really should have just been canceled (unlike other shows Netflix!)

3 - Too much tv, too little time. There's too many shows, too many videogames, too many movies. It didnt use to be this way man :(

that's it for now, I started watching lots of others (Disenchanted, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Maniac) but never finished them for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
California
1. The Expanse Season 3
2. Dear White People Season 2
3. On My Block
4. Attack on Titan Season 3
5. Cobra Kai
6. The Haunting of Hill House

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could easily make a top twenty since I watch too many shows, so I just kept all the shows that were completely new this year(cept 12 monkeys which I binged so it was new to me) and it still feels pretty good.

1. Killing Eve
2. Patrick Melrose
3. Mr. Inbetween
4. Kidding
5. Counterpart
6. Succession
7. 12 Monkeys
8. The Terror
9. Haunting of Hill House
10. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Fails of the Year:
1. Roseanne; I think it was the biggest self-torpedoing of a career this year.
2. Romanoffs, The; Yay, Amazon funded Anthony Weiner's vanity project about rich people
3. WRestworld; 101010101000101010101010000000111111111, its deep

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
shows that didnt air this year dont count im pretty sure, even if you only watched them this year

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I see people listing Castlevania, does that mean Netflix shows don't count as anime?

Best of the Year
K0jzwZ8.jpg

1. On My Block; One part coming of age drama, one part Menace II Society, one part romance, and one part Goonies. On My Block is a refreshing TV show about a group of kids growing up in LA. I have to give them huge kudos for not feeling the need to put a token white kid in the friend group and letting it actually be minority led. The soundtrack is straight fire and the show had me laughing at multiple points each episode. And I love how the characters are all low key super smart but they never make a big deal out of it or bother spending time showing them in school or studying. Like, yes, it is in fact possible for minorities to be smart and do well in school even though they don't spend all their time studying (I was one of those!). It also has a lot of subtle touches that I loved like how the characters would constantly gravitate towards each other and break off by race or by gender whenever there was inner conflict. It is never verbalized but it is a cool subtle commentary on how humans tend to gravitate towards others like them when going through a difficult situation. This show is far and away my favorite of the year, everything else on this list didn't even come close. Trailer here.

2. Preacher; At times I feel like the only one watching this. The lack of budget was painfully obvious at times but the fantastic performances by Dominic Cooper, Ruth Negga, and the rest of the supporting cast is able to carry it through the periods with no action. For anyone who has not seen it, it is basically a show about a superhero with the power to control people with his voice who, along with his girlfriend and his vampire sidekick, are trying to find God and maybe kick his ass for abandoning heaven. Also the Devil and Hitler come out. Y'all should be watching Preacher. Trailer here.

3. Big Mouth; Proof that you can do juvenile "adult" humor without being completely shitty and offensive (eat your heart out South Park and Family Guy). Big Mouth has a ton of heart as it tackles the awkwardness of puberty. The Shame Wizard was a fantastic addition to the cast and a big shout out to them for the Planned Parenthood episode. Trailer here.

4. American Horror Story: Apocalypse; Fuck Infinity War, this was the real crossover of the year. The long awaited crossover season totally delivered. Yes, the whole point of this series is supposed to be that everything is self contained but damn if it wasn't fun to revisit old characters. This season might actually have the least "horror" of them all but it was no less entertaining. They leaned into the camp hard and it completely paid off. Trailer here.

5. Devilman Crybaby; A show about a kid who gets possessed by a demon and fights other people who get possessed by demons. It goes from 0-100 real quick. I appreciated the show's lean approach to storytelling and not wasting any time to get to the ending. Those last few episodes got me shook. Also shout out to the incredible dub, always nice to have the option to not have to read subtitles if I don't have to. Trailer here.

6. Castle Rock; An intriguing and at times incredibly creepy and disturbing mystery that kept me guessing throughout. Every time it seemed like a question was getting answered two more would take its place until by the end I was left scratching my head wondering what the hell I just spent 10 hours watching. It has got that Stephen King flavor but still feels original. Trailer here.

7. Riverdale; Is this the most amazing show ever? Is this the stupidest show of all time? The answer is yes. Riverdale had already fallen off the deep end with the serial killer shenanigans in season 2 but season 3? We are deep in the Mariana Trench and I have no idea where the hell this is going to end up. I will say that this occult monster shit they are fucking with in season 3 is totally my aesthetic. Even Scooby Doo never got this stupid. Trailer here.

8. American Vandal; I was positive there was no way they would be able to make this stupid premise work twice and yet they somehow did it. A brilliant commentary on the criminal justice system and society in general all delivered in a hilarious mockumentary format. A story about poop has no right to be this smart and thought provoking. Trailer here.

9. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina; Chilling Adventures is at its best when it is embracing the wacky satanic witch stuff. The characters and lore that they have set up are all wildly entertaining and I would have loved to have seen more mundane witch school stuff. Trailer here.

10. The Haunting of Hill House; A beautifully shot series that does a fantastic job of juggling seven protagonists across ten episodes. Dedicating a single episode to each of the kids for the first half was some genius storytelling that gets you really invested in each family member. There are some absolutely beautifully haunting visuals that make me wish they had leaned into the horror a bit more and done more down right spooky stuff. The focus of the story begins and ends with the family and that is what keeps it engaging throughout though so it is hard to complain. Episode 6 is literally just the director flexing his skills and it is incredible. Trailer here.

Fails of the Year
jtzvJrq.jpg

1. Netflix; for canceling American Vandal and the Marvel shows. At least give them a proper ending season. Fuck off. >:(
2. Marvel Television; for not playing nice with Marvel Studios and preventing us from seeing even the tiniest of TV character cameos in Infinity War.
3. Riverdale; for being so stupid. Did I mention it is also fantastic?

Last edited:

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there a minimum amount of shows we must have? My TV watching has taken a serious hit this year, I don't even know if I could name five shows...

Dec 6, 2017
Los Angeles
1.Superbowl. Fly eagles fly.
2.This is us.
3.Impracticle jokers.
4.South park.
5.The guest book.
6.Preacher
7.New Amsterdam
8.Cloak and Dagger
9.The conners /Roseanne
10.American housewife

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see people listing Castlevania, does that mean Netflix shows don't count as anime?
Castlevania isn't produced in Japan, thus isn't technically anime. It's a small distinction. I imagine there's a few other Netflix shows like SheRa and such that would work too. But they have anime originals that are from Japan as well.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So the way to approach this thread is to vainly attempt to cram in everything on your backlog over the next six weeks before making a list on January 31st, correct?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
1. Daredevil
2. Luke Cage
3. The Originals
4. Cloak and Dagger
5. Iron Fist
6. Jessica Jones
7. Riverdale
8. Altered Carbon

I liked all the shows, but I haven't watched and finished many.

Can I add shows that aired this year but doesn't finish till next year?

I have Agents of Shield as a 2017 show so I won't put it on my list.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch a lot of current TV so my list will have limited entries.

1. Babylon Berlin ; The show's recreation of Weimar Republic era Berlin is too seductive and stylish for it to not be my number one choice. That's not to say it's lacking in other departments. It brilliantly juggles multiple genre conventions. Political espionage, crime thriller, noir, slice of life, it's got it all. The writing can be spotty at times but with such style, ambition and wonderful cast of characters it had to be the best show of 2018. Oh and it introduced me to Bryan Ferry (who makes a cameo appearance performing Bittersweet).

I'll just leave this brilliant song and scene from EP2 here:

2. Patrick Melrose ; At the end of the first episode, I was a bit skeptical. I've seen stories of self destructive men spiral out of control using sardonic wit as a coping mechanism many times before, but thankfully that's just the first (still entertaining) episode of this adaptation (never read the books). What comes next is a ruthless skewering and yet also a sincere (and sympathetic) examination of upper class society. Their ennui, narcissism and compromises to retain the status quo, and the damage it wroughts on themselves and future generations. Yet these disappointments and harsh realities of life are all too familiar to the rest of us as well, and resonate deeply. The entire miniseries is great but I love episodes 3 and 4, where we see Patrick go through the quick rebound of life. Finding promise and hope in youth only to arrive at the disappointment and stagnation of old (middle) age. I must also mention that Cumberbatch is fantastic here. If not for the sheer spectacle of Babylon Berlin, this would be my top choice of the year.

3. The Terror ; This didn't really live up to my expectations but it's sense of atmosphere and mood is not something one can shake off easily. Nor will anyone want to. This is the type of show you want to marinate in, while sipping on some hot drink wrapped in your blanket in the middle of winter (which is exactly how I saw it).

4. Bojack Horseman ; Still very clever and funny but I am loosing interest as it's starting to get repetitive.

5. Altered Carbon ; I don't think this is good but it was the only other show released in 2018 that I saw this year so it ranks last. Some credit must be given for it's production design though, which while very inconsistent is still commendable. Starts off with some promise and an interesting premise but falters quickly soon after. It does have some appeal much like a trashy 90s Cyberpunk FMV game does though.

Will add more if end up watching something else before the deadline.

Last edited:

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
1. Killing Eve
2. Maniac
3. The Terror
4. The Good Place
5. Patrick Melrose
6. Patriot
7. Black Earth Rising
8. The Deuce
9. Succession
10. Ozark

Really good year for TV I think!

Fail:
1. Yellowstone ; I dont like to be negative, so I only add this one in as a fail because it was so utterly ridiculous and it completely blindsided me. My expectations were so high based on the initial concept, the people involved and the trailer. I kept watching it, even though I thought it was terrible, it was maybe so bad it was good? Somehow they would find excuses for the son Kayce to kill some people every single episode and I found that hilarious.

edit - forgot about ozark season 2! I loved that. Sadly, putting it in means Barry gets pushed off my list but maybe i will reconsider again as Barry was really good.

Last edited:

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even one mention of the best superhero show on TV.

More people should be watching Titans.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm forgetting some stuff so I'll update my list whenever another worthy candidate comes to mind. The descriptions will be short and rushed but maybe I'll update them if I have time.

1. The Americans ; I actually binged the entire Americans series this year and oh my, what a ride that was. Season 6 was as close to a perfect final season of a show as you can get with the finale in particular ending on a real high note.

2. Better Call Saul ; As long as this series continues airing, it will place high on my end of year lists. I will never tire of seeing Bob Odenkirk, Rhea Seehorn and Jonathan Banks perfectly portraying their characters. The reoccurring slow burn continues to be perfect for my tastes.

3. The Good Place ; I hesitate to put this so high considering the current season is ongoing but this is the show that made me realise I actually enjoy television comedy. And the latest episode, "Janets" was on its own so good that I couldn't put this season any lower.

4. The Haunting of Hill House ; I was sceptical when critics gushed over "television's first truly great TV horror show" but yeah, this was something special. While never genuinely scary, the look into the lives of five individuals shaped by the titular Haunting was gripping, especially in the first half of the series.

5. Castlevania ; I'm a Castlevania newbie suckered into the series via Smash but the two seasons of this animated series are amongst the highest points of the series I've currently explored. It certainly goes down as the best Video Game TV series I've ever seen, though that's not a high bar to pass.

6. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina ; I know literally nothing about the original Sabrina comics, or anything of the media that has spun off from it since. Still, I love a good horror romp and this ended up being a fun binge. The Christmas special was fun too.

7. A Series of Unfortunate Events ; It's been a while but I thoroughly enjoyed this one back in March. Like Sabrina, I had never read the books but was familiar with the divisive film. This season was entirely new ground for me and I enjoyed the ride. Hoping the final season carries on with the winning formula.

8. Maniac ; A truly weird series that I'm still not sure I know what it was truly about. Still, the scenarios were varied and always left me wondering what it would attempt to try next. I'm a sucker for dream sequences and this was series based around the premise which is a win in my book.

9. Doctor Who ; A rough start for new showrunner Chibnall but I'm a DW stan and Jodie Whittaker's performances have already won me over. The guest writers put out the strongest episodes this year but the news of a 2020 date for season 12 hurts. Hopefully the New Year's special gives me enough to tide me over for what is to be another unfortunately expected hiatus for this once stable show.

10 Travellers: Season 3 ; Managed to get through this before the year closes. It was more of the same which is definitely good but I would be happy if this ends up being the final season.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show of the Year

1. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ; the best comic book show on TV continues to reinvent itself and go in fun new directions
2. Better Call Saul ; this show just keeps getting better with every passing season, much like its predecessor
3. Star Wars Rebels ; a show many once viewed as an inferior Clone Wars follow-up came into its own and concluded with some of the best and coolest Star Wars content in years
4. The 100 ; this show continues to surprise and has pulled off its biggest reinvention yet, I'm very excited to see where things go
5. DC's Legends of Tomorrow ; whatever drugs the writers of this show are on, please keep taking them, it's hilarious and heartfelt and amazing every week
6. The Good Place; the best comedy on TV, constantly pulling off crazy new ideas and storylines
7. Westworld ; this season was solid and featured interesting concepts and twists despite the more convoluted storyline
8. Marvel's Daredevil ; a return to form for Marvel Netflix as we get more Kingpin and a fitting end to this prematurely cancelled show
9. American Vandal ; season 2's crazy premise somehow managed to top the first season of this creative series. Please find a new home!
10. Doctor Who ; Jodie Whittaker and the companions are wonderful, but please try to come up with some more exciting stories for next season. This show should be much higher on the list

Fail of the Year

1. Marvel's Jessica Jones ; season 1 was so good, why was season 2 so damn boring?
2. Star Wars Resistance ; I wanted to withhold judgment on this one, but after 11 episodes this show is still very childish and has failed to pick up steam the way Clone Wars and Rebels did. But who knows, maybe a year from now we'll be laughing at me for putting this on here

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
1. The Haunting of Hill House -- This show was the most surprising show of the year for me. I came in with low expectations and was blown away.

2. The Good Place -- Every season continues to surprise me with new twists and curveballs to keep it fresh and hilarious.

3. Daredevil -- Sad to see it go, but my favorite comic live action show yet.

4. American Vandal -- This season lost the lovable lead from S1, but it made up with an extravagent concept that was just as over-the-top as the first.

5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- While a lot of comic fans gave up on this after the rough start, I think it may be one of the most improved shows on TV.

6. Barry -- Dark comedy can be hit or miss for me, but this proved to be a show I couldn't get enough of.

7. Castlevania -- All video game adaptations should use this show as a case study; a brilliant show all around.

8. Bob's Burgers -- One of my favorite background shows that is easy to watch and never lets me down.

9. Legends of Tomorrow -- The writers of this show take one crazy idea and top it the following week with an even crazier idea. Absolutely look forward to each and every episode to see how crazy the writers can get.

10. Altered Carbon -- A lot of people were on the fence with this show, but this show satisfied my sci-fi cravings. (If I was caught up on Doctor Who or The Expanse, they may have taken this spot.)

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
1. The Middle - It is with great sadness to see my favorite comedy of all time end after 9 seasons. It's rare to see a show that has lasted as long and yet still be this consistently good. The main and supporting cast remained endearing and hilarious yet at the same time evolving to the point that they have learned a lot over the years. With the spinoff is dead in the water, I salute the premiere comedy of ABC (not you Modern Family). May the Goldbergs manage to take your place. Oh and Eden Sher not being nominated in an Emmy will remain one of the biggest travesties of its existence. The entire family's amazing, but Sue will remain one of my favorite TV characters of all time. At least you got a Critics Choice Award.

2. Steven Universe - This has been a momentous year for the ambitious show. The amount of lore dropped regarding the gems has been stellar. Yes, there's been a lot of slice-of-life episodes too, but even those episodes have been entertaining. All culminating in a new arc that I have no idea how things will go, but I'm very much looking forward with how things will continue.

3. The Good Place - The show that continues to surprise all with each new season. While not as jaw dropping as the season 1 ending, the show continues it's impressive story telling and special effects. The real credit, however, belongs to the main cast. A show this ambitious can be ruined with an awful cast, but these set of individuals have proven time and again to be up to the task. Oh and someone give D'arcy Carden a goddamn Emmy already.

4. Jane the Virgin - The first half of season 4 was a bit slow, but by the start of this year things started to get juicy once more. The new additions paid dividends this year opening up new and interesting relationships. The producers then proved they still got it with a twist ending reminiscent of their heyday inaugural season. I can't wait to see how they conclude the show.

5. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - Things took a dark turn for our protagonist(?) as she endured new highs and lows, eventually deciding to owe up to all of her mistakes. The new season holds promise so far with interesting new characters and the cast hitting their stride. While this doesn't do much in the way of hilarious twists, it's still nice to see them go through important character development. Again, this will be a show that I will miss greatly. Cheers to the CW for making it last as long as it did.

6. GLOW - Female wrestlers? I was sold on that concept alone, and the first season was a blast to watch. Season 2 was no different, delivering a great story while keeping the cast enduring. Seriously, it's rare to have a show with so many different fanbases of that character (Sheila for life baby!) Plus, she show continues to give a nuanced look of the 80s. Let's hope it can avoid the Thanos snap Netflix has been dishing out after season 3.

7. Trial and Error - One of my favorite comedies from last year, Trial and Error returned with more laughs from our favorite beleaguered lawyer and friends. While we didn't get to see some cast members from season 1 return, it brought back more to fill the gap, including the lovely Kristin Chenoweth. Sadly, the ratings wasn't enough for a third season, so hats off for getting that coveted second season.

8. Speechless - The closest thing to a show that gets no respect in terms of quality. A mix of veterans and surprisingly talented children actors result in a hilarious yet enduring comedy about living with a child with special needs. That child remains the true star as he isn't just some kind-hearted savior. He just wants to be like every ordinary teen and we love him for it. Let's hope that they can continue for another season.

9. Legends of Tomorrow - If I told myself 3 years ago that Legends of Tomorrow would be the best CW superhero show, I would have laughed at the face of my future self. Well, who's laughing now. In what has to be one of the biggest turnarounds in history, the Legends became the scrappy team of misfits we ended up cheering for. What makes this team especially interest is just how insane each episode has become. If you want proof, just watch the season 3 finale and watch in amazement at the sheer insanity that it brings. Plus they managed to bring back Matt freaking Ryan from NBC.

10. Adventure Time - One of the premier Cartoon Network shows of its time, it came to a quiet end earlier this year. Still, no one can deny it's one of the greatest animated shows of the decade. It's final episode proved it as such. While it does not give any definitive closure, it merely continue its roots to show that there's always time for adventure.

Honorable mentions are S3 of Daredevil for righting the ship, Cloak and Dagger for best debut comic show and S2 of The Tick for remaining hilarious. Oh and Black Lightning's almost certainly making the list in 2019, though I had to leave it out for 2018.

Fail of the year.
1.WWE Raw - As a former WWE fan, McMahon deserves the current ratings. With a story line in tatters filled with faces people don't give a damn anymore, it's little wonder why it has the lowest ratings in history. My advice: go check out your competitors to see how to do proper wrestling storylines (hell, go check out your own developmental company NXT). And I don't even need to mention their deal with Saudi Arabia to give them the top spot.

2 Voltron - I love you guys for making Avatar, but it's clear you guys have serious issues regarding handling shippers. It takes a lot of talent to piss off that many people in a finale so cheers to that. And while this once again was out of your control, this doesn't excuse what was clearly a rushed final season with quick revisions and odd characterizations.

3. Broadcast television's pilot selection for 2018 - Yeah, some of them proved to be worthwhile (Legacies, Charmed) but screw you ABC for denying me Cece as the Greatest American Hero. Enjoy your comedies increasing irrelevance. This also marks the first time I didn't pick up any new network shows this year. It was that awful.

I didn't think it was as bad as others said it was, but Legion is definitely the disappointment of the year due to the complete collapse of a finale from the highs of the previous season.

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Will have to wait until after shows like Luther is aired over Christmas to finish the list, still have to get back and finish the likes of The Deuce...but so far:

1. The Last Kingdom - I really enjoyed the previous series on the BBC and is happen that Netflix is keeping it going. It almost made me glad to have gotten chickenpox as an adult and had to stay home by myself for the week when it was released.

2. My Brilliant Friend - loved the books and didn't imagine it would be done on TV, nevermind done so well.

3. A Very English Scandal

3. Killing Eve - compelling and pulpy, different from the usual kind of protagonists you get.
4. Bodyguard - very entertaining nonsense

5. Star Trek Discovery - good to have the show back on TV and thought it did well considering that the demands on it and great that it kicked started more seasons and shows.

Special mention - Strangers - not the best, but interesting to have a setting in Hong Kong.

Otherwise I thought it wasn't a particularly strong season for TV dramas. There isn't a big popular series that is particularly memorable and I feel like I have been watching docs and sports more. There is nothing really still to replace the GoT hole after it's gone for good. For all of Netflix's money, I feel a lot of their headline new and returning series have been disappointing. The biggest failure has to be House of Cards. .

Most looking forward to the BBC adaptation of His Dark Materials if it makes it for next year, the casting seem very on point and the beeb has decent track record.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
1. My Brilliant Friend
2. My Mister (나의 아저씨)
3. Le Bureau
4. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
5. Glow
6. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
7. Riverdale

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
1. Maniac - I felt this was the promise of Netflix realized. No restraints-and you can have top talent persue their dream project uninhindered by committee. I think it's not for everyone-but for those who do "get" it, it's brilliant, hilarious and moving. Emma Stone deserves an Emmy.

2. The Haunting of Hill House - I think Maniac was the best show, but this was my favorite show of the year. A true horror tv show, but in a pure and perfect way. Like the best Stephen King stories the horror is simply the setting, the real staying power is in the characters and their connection of each other. This is a story of a family of truly broken people who just so happened to have once lived in a haunted house.

3. Castle Rock- speaking of Stephen King, this show deserves praise for basically perfectly assimilating a King story without his direct involvement. The mystery here is sublime as well as the performances-Sissy Spacek is incredible here. You can enjoy it on its own merits but if you are a diehard King fan, that twist ending hits you like a ton of bricks and has major implications for where the story can go next.

4. Brooklyn 99 - the best comedy on TV and the best success story of the year-avoiding cancellation against all odds and finding new life on NBC. The best ensemble cast on TV-I love all these characters and can't wait to see the next season.

5. The Handmaid's Tale - This is not a show for everybody and especially after this season it's clearly alienated even more fans. It's not the story that a lot of people were hoping for-at least not in its current form. But for me there's nothing else like it on tv. And I know it's been said ad Infinitum but there's no more politically relevant show that reflects our current world than this. This show is the natural outcome of the modern far right's dreams.

6. Doctor Who - a mixed bag overall but I really love Jodie in the role and Graham is my favorite companion in a long time.

7. Star Trek Discovery - against all expectations this show really delivered as a modern Star Trek. Serialized storytelling with really great twists with changes that stick and move the status quo. Awesome cast as well.

8. A Series of Unfortunate Events-This is a really special show that I think a lot of people are sleeping on. The cast is just marvelous and the humor is pitch perfect. My favorite characters are Lemony Snicket himself - (God he's great in this) and Sunny.

9. Last Week Tonight- It's cathartic to have this 30 minutes at the end of the week to have John come out and say "No, you're not fucking crazy-this is messed up and let me diagram it for you to show you why."

FAIL OF THE YEAR:
1. Westworld. I have 3 episodes left to get through this and it's such a slog. It's at both times pretentious and boring. At a certain point - I just threw my hands up and said "I don't know at this point what is going on-nor do I care." The decision to deliberately be confusing with the multiple timelines in an effort to have an "ah-ha" Moment is this shows biggest detriment. Don't spend all this time and effort trying to obfuscate the story to just spring a surprise if the surprise isn't even worth it. I don't know who I'm even rooting for here-everyone is awful and not worth supporting. I really only watch it out of support to my friend and family member who work on the show.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how every year I look at this thread, feel too lazy to post in it, then I remember all the great shows I've watched, or how some of them could use some more exposure (*cough The Americans *cough), and end up posting after all. Just gonna stick with finished shows.

1. The Americans - At long last, the journey I've spent with Philip and Elizabeth Jennings has finally come to an end. A couple of years ago I had randomly stumbled upon this show, and the rest was history. They were demonstrably not good people, with them both being responsible for several atrocities. Yet I found them compelling nonetheless, even genuinely rooting for them at times. At the end of the day, they had a job to do, and I enjoyed watching them wrestle with their commitments to their cause, their children, and even themselves to the very end. Over the years we've been given some really damn good TV, but this show will be remembered as some of the best that television has ever had to offer, with one of the best series finales ever period. If you still haven't watched this show, then fix that.

2. Haunting of Hill House - I don't even fuck with horror, but I loved this. Then again, perhaps that's because the show wasn't what I usually associate with horror, where it's all about the jump scares and what not (though the show was undeniably unsettling), but rather a really effective study on a family that has been broken due to past horrors. Admittedly, at first when I had began watching, I wasn't super into it. But then all of a sudden, it just really clicked for me, and my friends and I binged it all in two days. I could tell I really loved the show because I went out of way to rewatch individual episodes in order to better understand its themes and such, something I don't normally find myself doing very often. The idea to have nearly each episode focus on an individual member of the family was a smart decision, and really helped you to connect to each of them and their various faults and traumas. And Episodes 5 and 6 (especially Ep. 6) were just some of the finest television I've had the pleasure of watching this year.

3. Killing Eve - Man, this show came out of nowhere. On the surface, it's a simple cat-and-mouse tale of a woman who's attempting to find a serial killer. But as you watch the show, you soon see that it is utterly delightful in how it pokes fun at the spy genre, with a sharp wit that never failed to get a laugh out of me. More than anything, while the protagonist Sandra Oh plays is great and surprisingly subversive in her own right, the clear star of the show is the other lead, Jodie Comer's Villanelle. Completely spellbinding, she absolutely makes the show for me, and is probably my favorite new TV character of the year by far.

4. Atlanta S2 - Arguably equaled, if not topped the masterpiece that was the first season. It was a strong sophmore season, that really just reiterated that Atlanta is reminiscent of a chameleon, able to practically change into whatever absurdity it wants without the show losing its identity. For the first season, the episode that best showcased this was B.A.N. For this season, it was Teddy Perkins. That face still haunts me.

5. Daredevil S3 - The best Netflix MCU show went out with a bang, surprisingly even topping the first season that started it all to begin with. Netflix cancelling it after such an amazing season really sucked, but on the bright side, at least it end out on a high note, as opposed to leaving us with a nasty cliffhanger to sulk over.

6. Agents of SHIELD S5 - My favorite comic book show churns out yet another great season that neatly tied just about everything up, even having callbacks from as far back as S1. But what appeared to be an extremely strong series finale ended up being inadvertently undercut for me just a tad due to the (extremely delightful) surprise of fans getting not one, but two additional seasons to look forward to. As a result, it made it easier to rank it a bit lower than I would've otherwise.

7. GLOW S2 - This season was even better than the first, pretty much has solidified itself at this point as one of the best shows Netflix has made.

8. Better Call Saul S4 - Not much to say, it was another fantastic season. As Jimmy goes further and further into depravity, I take comfort in the MVP that is Kim Wexler's character.

9. Legends of Tomorrow S3 - This is all that needs to be said.

10. Sharp Objects - A reminder that Amy Adams is a damn good actress.

Honorable mentions go out to Maniac, Bojack Horseman S5, American Vandal S2, and Pose, Impulse, and Cobra Kai, which were all great, but there just wasn't space enough for all of them. Really speaks to how strong the year was.

----

Fails of the Year:

1. Netflix Cancellations - Alright, so they cancelled American Vandal after an excellent Season 2. That hurt, but I'll live, it's not a show where I'd say that I was overly attached to the cast due to the nature of the show. Then Iron Fist gets cancelled. Okay, Season 3 actually looked promising after a surprisingly decent S2, but it's Iron Fist, so I totally understand why it got axed. Then Luke Cage gets cancelled. Again, was very excited for Season 3, but whatever, at least I still have the shows I like the most, Daredevil and Jessica Jones, to look forward to. And then.... Daredevil also gets cancelled. After an utterly amazing S3 no less. Great, just great. And at this point, obviously Jessica Jones and Punisher are going to follow suit after their respective seasons. So yea, fuck Netflix.

2. Legion S2 - After the first season finished, some people considered it to be the best comic book show. While I didn't agree, I certainly thought it came close. Then Season 2 happened. All flash and little substance, the hype of the trippy visuals and weirdness for the sake of it wore off as the show continued to blatantly waste its supporting cast, stall its straightforward plot until like the last episode with nonsensical detours, and culminated in the main protagonist committing an extremely ill-advised action that killed nearly all of my interest in S3. Oh, and Aubrey Plaza's character, despite being the obvious highlight for many in S1, was woefully underutilized this season. People deride Westworld as a show thinks far too highly of itself, but it has nothing on Legion.

3. House of Cards S6 - I just finished this not too long ago, so it's still fresh in my mind. I think most would agree that HoC has noticeably dipped in quality for years now, and the absence of Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood was only going to make things worse. But even with all that in mind, the season still surpassed my expectations in how bad it was, with a series finale that manages to top the likes of infamous finales like Dexter's in how utterly awful it was.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pjya4oROZu1w8vvh3o1_1280.png

Top 10 shows of 2018 via undeniable scientific evidence.

1. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The best comic book show ever didn't have quite as good of a 5th season as it did it's 4th, but it still managed a lot with a little (budget that is) and Fitz continues to be the my favorite character on TV and in the entire MCU. The twists and turns in this show have been unreal and I love every minute of it.

2. The Good Place
Like Shield, TGP offers so many twists that it requires a viewer to catch every single episode to understand what the hell is going on. But with that comes huge dividends for those who've been there since day 1. It's insane how much crazy and weird shit can happen in a comedy and still have it make sense.

3. Bob's Burgers
The show that is most pleasing to the eyes (seriously, this cartoon looks phenomenal at times) is also one of the most heart felt and funny half hours of television. It's like The Simpsons in their prime if they operated a burger restaurant.

4. Daredevil
While the pain of knowing that the series is done is still looming large, at least it went out on top. Season 3 was a return to form and offered some of the most exhilarating scenes in the series. That scene where they're headed to the court house is insane. And also the jailbreak. And also Bullseye's crazy antics at the end. So good.

5. Saturday Night Live
SNL has had it's fair share of ups and downs the last several seasons IMO. I love how they've gone in on the Trump administration, but I have a hard time picking out specific original characters that standout in the same way a Wayne Campbell or a Stefon. But SNL still holds a deep place in my heart, and there was no way I'd have it sit out my top 5 shows of 2018 list.

6. Barry
While a lot more down to earth than The Good Place, Barry still manages to fill that small niche of being a comedy with frequent twists and turns that'll leave you at the edge of your seat. This show can be brutal (a scene inside a van comes to mind immediately), but it can also provide plenty of laughs. Come for the always talented Bill Hader, stay for the brilliance of NoHo Hank.

7. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
A very different type of show than what you might think of if you ever saw Melissa Joan Hart play a witch with a talking cat as her sidekick, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is a dark and gothic tell of a teenage witch who struggles with giving up her free will to Satan and losing her mortal friends. The shows atmosphere is top notch and has a relatively good supporting cast (though I can't say I was a huge of any mortal not named Harvey). The cat might not talk, but Ambrose, a new character designed for this show, does fill the comedic relief role somewhat.

8. Brooklyn Nine Nine
Remember when this show was canceled for a day and we all thought the worst? Glad that's over. B99 is the closest thing you'll get to more episodes of The Office and Parks & Rec (outside of those shows being resurrected from the dead). Every main character offers up something to love, and some of the side characters (here's looking at you Pimento!) can be a blast to watch. Not all show's need to have this huge over-arching plot to be worth a damn, and B99 shows that a more typical sitcom can still be worth a watch every week.

9. Gotham
Gotham, much like the recent incarnation of Sabrina, is a dark and gothic retelling of a story originating from comics. The show has a nasty habit of bringing characters back from the dead in ways that don't always feel deserving and there seems to be a needless fight amongst friends every other episode, but the show offers enough when it comes to it's diverse batch of baddies to make it in my top 10. No show does villains quite like Gotham.

10. Whose Line Is It Anyway
This was a hard choice for me. I wasn't enamored with this year's Better Call Saul or Westworld and felt like giving either a spot on my list was just doing a service to those show's previous seasons. I then thought about a show like Last Week Tonight, but I only was ever interested in those episodes that critiqued the Trump regime. South Park had a bit of a return to form this season, but it's highs weren't high enough and it's lows were too low. And let's not mention Always Sunny's most recent season.

I actually was going to go with a different pick here, but remembered WLIIA at the last second and feel it most deserves to be in my top 10 for no other reason than the fact that I laugh harder watching it than any other show on television. I would call it a guilty pleasure, but there isn't anything guilty about watching it.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
1. Bojack Horseman
2. The Good Place
3. American Vandal
4. Pose
5. Adventure Time
6. Killing Eve
7. Mad As Hell
8. Doctor Who

Haven't watched much TV this year and feel kinda guilty about that.

----

Fails of the Year:

1. WWE. General incompetence in making entertainment as well as naked political corruption. This was the year I stopped watching WWE.

2. Netflix cancelling shows. I wasn't a fan of the Marvel stuff at all but I get why people are pissed at that. On a personal level - American Vandal getting cancelled is a major bummer. Netflix is losing its reputation as this bold streaming service full of the hottest new shows - and this is why.

3. Westworld. Most of the people I know stopped giving a shit this season.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I have a few more things to finish before I can settle on a list, but I cannot imagine a more disastrous, piece of shit fail of the year than the last season of House of Cards.

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
Top 7, stated as fact:

1. Killing Eve
2. Homecoming
3. The Haunting of Hill House
4. Bodyguard
5. Cunk on Britain
6. Sharp Objects
7. The Bridge (Season 4) (Bron/Broen (the Danish/Swedish one))
8. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Season 4)
9. Dynasties

Fail of the Year:

1. Legion (Season 2) - A mess. Probably could have been trimmed down to 5 episodes.
2. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - I did not like this.

(I feel like Westworld and Sabrina weren't bad enough to be on here. Maaybe Sabrina. Edit: Scratch that.)

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
1. Daredevil - Season 3 was one of the best seasons of Marvel TV. Bullseye and Kingpin are the two of the best villains live-action Marvel has done and it's a shame Netflix cancelled it.
2. American Vandal - Just as funny and poignant as the first season. Also a shame it was cancelled.
3. Travelers - I'm glad Netflix sponsored this for a third season because it's a fantastic sci-fi show. Scared they're going to cancel it though because of previous two examples.
4. Bojack Horseman - I hate this show. I love this show.
5. The Good Place - One of two shows on network TV I really am invested in because the humor is on point and the plot is so good.
6. Sneaky Pete - Second season suffered from not having Bryan Cranston as the villain, but everything else was ramped up to 11. Best hidden gem Amazon TV has to offer.
7. iZombie - The other network show I'm invested in and for the same reasons.
8. Ozark - Breaking Bad lite, sure, but Ruth is one of the best characters on TV, period.
9. South Park - The latest season was pretty damn funny.
10. Agents of Shield - Good, not great season but had a hell of a finale.

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
1. The Deuce
2. Atlanta
3. My Brilliant Friend
4. Babylon Berlin
5. Glow
6. Better Call Saul
7. Castlevania
8. Bojack Horseman
9. Steven Universe
10. Aggretsuko

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
1- Animal Kingdom ( like this show deserve way more attention god )
2- Daredevil Season 3
3 - The Haunting of Hill House
4- Better Call Saul
5 - Barry
6 - Norseman

Will think about the rest later

Status
Not open for further replies.