• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 26462

User requested account closure
Oct 30, 2017
The title is self explanatory.

I understand they want to give WiiU titles a second life thanks to ports, but they doesn't fool anyone acting like they are brand new titles .

Their first party lineup focused only on casual gamers, i know, Mario tennis is good, Mario Party is good but comparing those titles with God of War, Spidey, Astrobot or Forza Horizon 4 doens't help either...

Then we have a new Pokemon game that looks worse than a crappy smartphone game with graphics from early 2000s but in HD.

The only hope in their lineup is Smash bros Ultimate which, i must say, it has the potential of being the best Smash bros in the series, that's for sure.

2019 is looking good with Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem and Yoshi atm, but starting the year with ANOTHER port of a 2012 game doesnt give big expectations.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I mean, most of the enhanced wiiu games sell well so maybe they aren't fooling anyone but people clearly want that software so?

Retropug

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo put a lot of big names in year 1 to ensure success. It's pretty common to not have as many huge titles in year 2.

This isn't just a Nintendo problem.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I bought significantly more games for Switch this year than last year. *shrug*

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought significantly mores games for Switch in 2018 than I did in 2017. It's been a fantastic year for me. And many of the games I purchased were day-and-date multiplats or just flat-out exclusive.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I think it was a very good year, can't agree with your take. Started slow, but picked up the pace since Mario Tennis, and I'm sure 2019 will be an incredible year for the Switch.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It was always going to be tough to follow up on Zelda and Mario but the year isn't over and Pokemon and Smash are looking good.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Agreed OP. If it weren't for Smash, Hollow Knight, and a smattering of other great but old indies, this year would be a total dud.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It's a little unfair to compare its second year to the PS4's fifth. Remember 2014, when it seemed like the PS4 library was 80% HD remasters and 15% indies? Remember when The Last of Us got remastered one year after its PS3 release? That's where we're at in the Switch life cycle.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Their first party lineup focused only on casual gamers, i know, Mario tennis is good, Mario Party is good but comparing those titles with God of War, Spidey, Astrobot or Forza Horizon 4 doens't help either...

Casuals ruined gaming.
Where are the big boy games!?

/s

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Also, calling Let's Go a Smartphone game with graphics from early 2000? I can't even take you seriously after reading that.

Deleted member 7044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
81FcnqqmoSL._SL1500_.jpg

Nov 4, 2017
PS4 having a better year for you (and me, I've loved PS4's lineup this year don't get me wrong) doesn't mean Switch had a bad one. Switch's 2018 not being as strong as 2017 doesn't mean this year is bad.

Also, Switch had Octopath this year, so you're objectively wrong.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a very mediocre year for sure. Thank goodness for Octopath Traveler

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what games the op is expecting. The system has had a great year for smaller titles that arent Nintendo. If people are still expecting 3rd party AAA equivalent games on a tablet then their expectations are not in check. As far as Nintendo titles go, it was obvious that he held the last couple years of Wiiu games for the Switch. Expecting 2017 first party output yearly is asking for disappointment. Also the 3ds still being a thing doesnt help.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Second years are typically weak, but I agree it's been a super lousy one if you owned a Wii U. I've picked up and enjoyed Octopath, and been disappointed with everything else >.<

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah you're dead wrong OP. 2018 has been great, and Smash is only 2 months away as well.

AerialFox

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that you are basing the upcoming let's go games purely on the graphics says it all. Pure hyperbole. This is literally 'The switch had a bad year because I don't like the games released on it's.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who already owned the Wii-U with most of the first party games, I agree 100%.

Though the statement about the graphics in Pokemon makes you look a bit silly.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's ok because the switch first year was the best first year ever for any console, it evens out

Edit: and yea smash is this year

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember 2014, when it seemed like the PS4 library was 80% HD remasters and 15% indies
No, but I remember how many times people try and say that.

Even when their exclusives were lacking the PS4 had every single third party game coming out on it, which is why people expect more out of Nintendo themselves. They are always going to be tasked with carrying their own consoles. Last year they did their job, which is why no one complained. This year they didn't, thus you see complaining.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that PS4's launch year was overall pretty bad-mediocre.

The best game was one you got for free on PS+.

In 2014 the PS4 had inFamous, Ground Zeroes, Watch_Dogs, Wolfenstein, Destiny, Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Infinite Warfare, Guilty Gear Xrd, LBP3, DW8 etc. Remasters or PS4 versions of games like TLoU, Diablo 3, FFXIV and GTAV. And indie games like Child of Light, Spelunky, Outlast, Strider, Towerfall, Trials Fusion, Valiant Hearts, Oddworld, Rogue Legacy and so on. It wasn't an amazing year for exclusives, but overall that year was far from bad or mediocre.

Deleted member 59

It's been disappointing, but 2019 definitely looks like it'll make up for it imo with regards to first party published titles:

NSMBU Deluxe
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Pokemon 2019
Daemon x Machina
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Town
Metroid Prime 4 (?)
Bayonetta 3 (?)

2018 had loads of amazing indie games though to keep my switch busy (Hollow Knight, owlboy, yokus island) but Nintendos output has been ehhh. DKCTF and Kirby were good fun though. No interest in Pokemon or Smash.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think he means it seems like a nowadays smartphone game. But the graphics are from early 2000 (not 2000 smartphone graphics but general 2000 graphics) except in HD.

Not that it isn't completely wrong in all accounts, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.