• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
*Bruins eliminate Leafs in agonizing fashion*
*All the salt comes from fans of other teams*

So business as usual for this crew honestly. Never change you humps.

Looking forward to the games tomorrow, I feel like Caps/Pens might just change the script we are all expecting. And I honestly have no idea at all what to make of Sharks/Knights, like anything could happen there. Should be a fast game but beyond that I have absolutely no clue.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the games tomorrow, I feel like Caps/Pens might just change the script we are all expecting. And I honestly have no idea at all what to make of Sharks/Knights, like anything could happen there. Should be a fast game but beyond that I have absolutely no clue.
I've bet on better Caps teams and they've lost. Not this time. Pens in 7.

I think the Knights will take it. I was too slow to believe in them and I think it's about time I hop on their bandwagon. I'm excited to see how crazy the series can get with all that speed.

19 & 21

Oct 25, 2017
Dubbed is on a quest for the cup. I can't wait for him to potentially pick his last team this year right as the finals are over.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. Yet we made no moves to shore up our problematic defense aside from Hainsey.

Also. Why does an off-season thread exist? I'm going to keep watching playoff hockey. I'd imagine most people still are. So why not just talk in here?
... we do both? Playoffs thread is for active hockey discussion. Off-season thread is for post mortems, draft lottery, etc.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke at first and it just stuck. Manics would make it like two months into the season haha

Makes sense. Have only been posting in these threads since a little before gaf fell.
Off-season threads were created ages ago. eg, 2006. Playoffs ended, new thread created. Then they were created during the playoffs. Then Manics lost his mind and created one in December.

That 2006 thread reminded me that the Pens could have drafted Backstrom or Toews. Jesus

Or Kessel...

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Dubbed is on a quest for the cup. I can't wait for him to potentially pick his last team this year right as the finals are over.
IRPc63x.jpg

Theres a photoshop in here somewhere......

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I was impressed with how Marleau really stepped his game up. He scored some nice goals, including the first two tonight, and was probably pretty angry with how fast the lead was given back.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Off-season threads were created ages ago. eg, 2006. Playoffs ended, new thread created. Then they were created during the playoffs. Then Manics lost his mind and created one in December.

I like how on the first page of that thread from 2006 I call Mark Spector an idiot. I am nothing if not consistent.

Also on the first page of that thread? dem telling Forza to shut the fuck up.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Round 2 will probably be the best of these playoffs with the matchups were gonna get. Logically Preds v Jets and Bruins v Lightning should be the conference finals but we're getting them now instead.

I've devoted such a large percentage of my brain power and free time to hockey recently I'll probably take the weekend to play some games or do some other shit but I'll be jumping back into round 2 next week.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how on the first page of that thread from 2006 I call Mark Spector an idiot. I am nothing if not consistent.

The funny thing is that Forza ended up being totally right. And:

ForzaItalia said:
I'm the guy that can lessen your hostility by getting you laid....

Also came across a page where Marvie was helping out 'Hotshot' who he thought was a girl who ended up being Forza. The quotes show up as Hotshot but the username's changed to Epic Tales of Penis :D

Last edited:

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017

You said Toews was a good pick for Chicago. :D

Sef a few posts later: "Toews just said he wanted to go to Chicago? He's crazy."

Accurate at the time. Hilarious in retrospect.

The dem posts during the draft are great.

"bad pick for the pens..
They should have went with Kessel. I can't believe everyone is letting him drop... but really i cant believe the PENS would let that guy pass them by. Could there be a more perfect complementary player for Crosby? I don't think so.."

"man that kessel family all has fat heads they look like ogres :lol"

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to Manics and Forza? I thought they joined resetera when it opened, or were those just parody accounts? I was looking forward to the whole family being back together...

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Enough about the leafs! Today is the start of round 2 baby!!! Pens don't give these jerks their revenge! I mean honestly I would rather the caps win than Boston or Nashville but if the Pens lose it's gonna be "ovechkin>sid" and "the other series don't matter! Stop living in the past!" All over the place. I want that quadruple victory over them in the playoffs just to ensure these comparisons are put to bed forever

All that being said I have a bad feeling about this series and we have to tighten up a LOT from last round especially on the defensive end. Letang you're my favorite player but you gotta clean it up with the turnovers. My head says Caps in 5. My heart says let's go PENS!

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
the Bruins came up and won? thats amazing, even with Rask they did it yay! now i cannot wait for him to get lit the fuck up by Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers and Byfuglien in the finals. it would have been too sad if the Leafs had to take the kind of punishment the Jets can deliver.. but the Bruins can take it i'm sure, no need to feel sorry for them.

some boring series before that though. ugh i'm not sure if i even wanna watch Nashville play at all.. they have exactly ONE guy that is entertaining to watch (Forsberg), and well Rinne too if he plays like in the last SCF and completely drops the ball, haha. but i predict a boring series, Nashville is gonna turtle all the way (to their post-season grave).

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
You said Toews was a good pick for Chicago. :D

Sef a few posts later: "Toews just said he wanted to go to Chicago? He's crazy."

Accurate at the time. Hilarious in retrospect.

The dem posts during the draft are great.

"bad pick for the pens..
They should have went with Kessel. I can't believe everyone is letting him drop... but really i cant believe the PENS would let that guy pass them by. Could there be a more perfect complementary player for Crosby? I don't think so.."

"man that kessel family all has fat heads they look like ogres :lol"

Those final quotes are delicious.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I'll tell you what isn't Toronto.........Vancouver. Even though everyone living there wishes it was and thats why they never shut up about Toronto being so great.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Alright then... go Bolts.

Something that really bugs me is when Jamie McLennan says Freddie Anderson has "solidified himself as an elite goaltender" .... then contradicts what he just said and says "there's no guarantee next year"

Either he's elite, or he's not. Elite comes with consistency.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Perds will be hardened by their tough series and roll the Jets in 5 games. I don't want it to happen, but my irreproachable intuition suggests it.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god the Athletic just posted Dom L's preview of the Jets/Preds and my heart can't take it.

I'm going to ignore all the parts about where Nashville has the advantage and just read this over and over:
Nashville played a weak Colorado team and dominated the Avalanche at both ends of the rink. The Predators controlled 56 per cent of the chances and scored 60 per cent of the goals, both of which were improvements over their regular season totals. Their underlying special teams were better too as was their discipline, making special teams an actual strength thanks to an elite penalty kill. The power play still needs work, but thankfully that shouldn't be a big issue against the Jets. All in all, the team played about as well as expected against an inferior opponent and even though Colorado managed to take two games, nothing should really change regarding opinions of Nashville. By Elo, this series barely moved the needle: Nashville is roughly as strong now as it was at the start of Round 1.

That's not the case for Winnipeg though and it's one of the reasons I'm a fan of using Elo to update team strength during the playoffs. The Jets humiliated the Wild – a better team than Colorado, even without Ryan Suter – and opinions of their ability should change after such a series. The five-game series win where Winnipeg outscored Minnesota 16-9 closed the gap considerably on the Predators and the two teams are now seen as near equals. Before the playoffs started, my model would've considered the Jets a 45 per cent underdog against Nashville, but their Round 1 dominance has moved that up to its current 49.9 per cent. That means that on neutral ice, Winnipeg would be the favourite in this series thanks in part to how the team played in the opening round (and also some roster changes forced by injury).

Screen-Shot-2018-04-26-at-3.36.30-AM.png

Fuck me that's close you know what I'm moving to a shack up north I'll come back to civilization when it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.