• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
fyR0mmK.png

2Q77qPT.png

QUMLqj8.png

XqnYmLZ.png

THIS THREAD IS FOR BOTH MEN'S AND WOMEN'S TOURNAMENTS

Let's be honest though: the Women's tournament will be more entertaining than the Men's.

WHERE IS THE NHL?

On April 3, 2017, the National Hockey League (NHL) announced that it would not allow athletes to participate in the Winter Olympics. The disagreement between the NHL, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF), and International Olympic Committee (IOC) stems from issues in guaranteeing insurance for players with NHL contracts, as well as the NHL not earning profits from the Winter Olympics. The League would usually pause games for a month, and forgo an All-Star Game during a Winter Olympic year.

Other European leagues will allow for time off for participation. The Kontinental Hockey League will have a 33-day break; The Swiss National League a 25-day break; Deutsche Eishockey Liga a 26 days break; The Czech Extraliga an 18-day break; The Slovak Extraliga a 14-day break. Finland's SM-liiga will allow players to participate in the Olympics, but will not impose a break during the Olympic games.

A UNIFIED KOREAN WOMEN'S TEAM

The Korean Women's Team will participate as a unified group consisting of 23 players from South Korea and 12 from North Korea. The women's team will compete under the COR acronym.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN NORTH AMERICAN HOCKEY AND INTERNATIONAL HOCKEY?

There are a few notable differences between the two. The Olympic games will implement international rules to the tournament, approved by the IIHF.

The most notable difference will be the ice surface: the IIHF-mandated rink size is larger than North American ice, measuring at 200x98.4 ft vs. 200x85 ft for the latter.

No-touch icing will be in effect, meaning play is called dead the moment the puck crosses the goal line and faceoffs start at the offending player's defensive zone.

Fighting will be an automatic game misconduct on top of a 5 minute major for roughing.

Goaltender restricted area will not be in effect.

Click here for full IIHF rules.

WHERE CAN I WATCH IT?

In the US, it is available on NBC. In Canada, CBC, TSN, RDS, Sportsnet.

WHEN ARE THE GAMES?

Click here for the Men's Tournament schedule.

Click here for the Women's Tournament schedule.

3NGHFYR.png

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT OKAY LET'S GO

NOW FOLKS, YOU KNOW IT'S THAT TIME. THE WINTER OLYMPICS ARE HERE! EACH NATION'S BEST FACE OFF AGAINST EACH OTHER--WAIT WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN NHL PLAYERS AIN'T PARTICIPATIN'? IT'S THAT LEFT-WING PINKO JUSTIN TRUDEAU'S FAULT AIN'T IT?

ALRIGHT FOLKS, 'CAUSE OF CLIMATE CHANGE AN' TRUDEAU, WE AIN'T GETTIN' NHL PLAYERS IN THE OLYMPICS THIS YEAR. YOU KNOW WHAT? THAT'S ALRIGHT. THE TEAM'S FILLED WITH GOOD CANADIAN KIDS THAT'LL MAKE US PROUD, EH. GUYS LIKE MASON RAYMOND AN' BEN SCRIVENS, OR MAXIM LAPETERS AN' WOYTECK WOLSANGAKGNALKSSLDMALSKALASKI. OTHER NATIONS WON'T STAND A CHANCE AGAINST CANADA'S ROSTER. WE MAY NOT BE WINNIN' GAMES, BUT WE'RE WINNIN' IN CLASS.

SPEAKIN' OF CLASS, YOU SEE THOSE KOOKY RUSSIANS? WHAT'S THIS "OLYMPIC ATHLETES FROM RUSSIA" NONSENSE, EH? THOSE DOPES GOT CAUGHT CHEATIN' AN' NOW THEY CAN'T PLAY FOR THEIR FLAG. KIDS, NEVER DO THAT! DON'T BE TAKIN' BANNED SUBSTANCES, OR ELSE YOU CAN'T PARTICIPATE IN THE OLYMPICS...UNDER YOUR COUNTRY'S FLAG. KEEP YOUR STICKS DOWN AN' DON'T DO DRUGS!

NOW LET ME TELL YOU KIDS A STORY:

I WAS IN THE BATHROOM WASHIN' MY HANDS, WHEN A BUNCHA NO-GOOD COMMIES RAN INSIDE A BATHROOM STALL. THEY LEFT THE DOOR OPEN 'CAUSE THAT'S WHAT STALIN TAUGHT 'EM IN THE COMMUNIST MANIFESTO, EH. KIDS, DON'T READ THAT BOOK. IT'LL TEACH YOU THAT VISORS ARE OKAY AN' HOTDOGGIN' IS GOOD. NO!

ANYHOW, THOSE COMMIES WERE IN THE STALL TRADIN' NOTES ON HOW TO BE BETTER COMMIES AN' PRAYIN' TO STALIN AN' THAT GOT ME REAL STEAMED, EH. MASON RAYMOND SUDDENLY RAN IN, SLIPPED AN' FELL INTO ANOTHER BATHROOM STALL BESIDE 'EM. HE STARTED SINGIN' THE CANADIAN ANTHEM WHICH GOT MORE PLAYERS RUNNIN' IN THE SAME STALL. THEY ALL SHOOK HANDS AN' STARTED STITCHIN' A CANADIAN FLAG. THOSE COMMIES WERE SO EMBARRASSED AN' OUTCLASSED, THEY RAN OUTTA THE STALL CRYIN'. THEY DIDN'T EVEN WASH THEIR HANDS! THEY ALL RAN BACK TO THE KREMLIN AN' CRIED TO PUTIN. THOSE GOOD CANADIAN KIDS STARTED SINGIN' THE ANTHEM AGAIN, AN' I JOINED IN. I WAS TEARIN' UP THE WHOLE TIME. THEY REMINDED ME OF BOBBY ORR.

THE LESSON HERE KIDS: DON'T BE A COMMIE, NEVER WEAR VISORS, DON'T BE HOTDOGGIN', NO TURT-A-WHIRLIN', AN' BE A GOOD CANADIAN KID.

GOD LOVE 'EM.

70vjUmx.png

The NHL season will continue without any breaks during the Olympic Games. Feel free to join us as we throw salt at each other.

Last edited:

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Blessed thread.

Women's tourney will be awesome as always, hopefully USA chokes again ;)

As for the Men's tourney... well I think one Spengler Cup per year is enough

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Canadian team is the greatest collection of benchwarmers I've ever seen.

CelicaCrazed

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
Awesome thread, Quick!

First thought, damn the Canadian men are stuck with the wily Swiss! The women's Group A is going to be fun. I hope the unified women's Korean team brings about world peace. I'm so excited for all of this!

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blessed with the presense of Don Quick :pray

I have a soft spot for the Olympic hockey thread - it sold me on this community. It sucks the quality of men's hockey will likely suffer this time, but we still have the women's team at least. Have a Poulin jersey on order.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't anything about hockey but I'm seeing CAN vs SUI on the 15th, should be fun.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ANONYMOUS FRESH FACE WITH THE GOLDEN GOAL

CANADA

THRICE IN A LIFETIME

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Canada still gonna wash everyone with their Zed-listers

Mason Raymond and Derek Roy comin for dat ass.

Hardan

Oct 28, 2017
Going to see the preparation match of Switzerland vs. Germany tonight.

+ I'm actually excited for the women's tournament. Mostly because switzerland got bronze last time aorund!

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. Too bad about NHL thing, but I remember some great Olympic tournaments without NHL players. Let's see.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
There are going to be some really great players(and teams) in the tournament but still, it is really disappointing.

Go Sweden!

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Nice thread

I'll do the main thread today unless anyone else wants to or has it planned. Won't be amazing but it's really time for that thing to open

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
It's such a shame NHL players won't be going. Would've been hilarious to see Canada vs South Korea in the round robin.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Is it too early to ask predictions on the top three for women's and men's teams? My picks are:

Women: 1. Canada 2. USA 3. Finland
Men: 1. Russia 2. Finland 3. Sweden

Last edited:

Crazed

Oct 25, 2017
Best Korea will win the women's, book it™

Might try to catch one of the Not Russia games just to see Datsyuk again.
I miss him :(

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Not-Russia has a pretty significant advantage because of the inclusion of the KHL players. Almost like old-school olympics when the Soviets dominated non-NHL games.

Canada can jump on the underdog bandwagon so it will be an interesting tournament to watch.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The no-NHL thing pretty much fucks over the US and Canada, and to some extent, the Scandinavian countries. In fact, it basically makes the "Russian" team have an easy gold.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
The one time in recent years that the Russian Men's team is seen as the top team and they don't even officially play for Russia lol

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Canada and US are in the same group for women's hockey? That doesn't make much sense but I suppose it really doesn't matter. Doing that just provides an additional game for that matchup. It will be another US Canada gold medal game of course.