• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
The following 12 electronic games are finalists for 2018 induction into The Strong's World Video Game Hall of Fame. The inductees will be announced during a ceremony at The Strong museum on Thursday, May 3 at 10:30 a.m.

Link with more information on each game

Vote for your favourite here (you can vote once every day)

Which video game do you think is most worthy of joining icons such as Pac-Man, Pong, Super Mario Bros., and Tetris in the World Video Game Hall of Fame? Vote below for the one you think best meets the criteria of icon-status, longevity, geographic reach, and influence.

The three games that receive the most public votes will form one "Player's Choice" ballot, which will join the 27 other ballots submitted by members of the International Selection Advisory Committee, a supporting group composed of journalists, scholars, and other individuals familiar with the history of video games and their role in society.

The nominees are:
  • Asteroids
  • Call of Duty (2003)
  • Dance Dance Revolution
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Half-Life
  • John Madden Football
  • King's Quest
  • Metroid
  • Minecraft
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Spacewar!
  • Tomb Raider
Current Hall of Fame:

I had to look up for the members of this Hall of Fame and I expected worse, but it seems like a very clean and exclusive Hall of Fame, tbh:

• Donkey Kong
  • DOOM
  • GTA 3
  • Halo
  • TLoZ
  • The Oregon Trail
  • Pac-Man
  • Pokémon Red and Green
  • Pong
  • The Sims
  • Sonic
  • Space Invaders
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Mario Bros
  • Tetris
  • World of Warcraft

Yes, it seems pretty clean.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell can you have a gaming hall of fame without Spacewar or Asteroids in it

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
No Fallout New Vegas... What kind of hall of fame is this.

All those seem pretty decent. Madden and Tomb Raider being meh.

Mar 23, 2018
I had to look up for the members of this Hall of Fame and I expected worse, but it seems like a very clean and exclusive Hall of Fame, tbh:

• Donkey Kong
  • DOOM
  • GTA 3
  • Halo
  • TLoZ
  • The Oregon Trail
  • Pac-Man
  • Pokémon Red and Green
  • Pong
  • The Sims
  • Sonic
  • Space Invaders
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Mario Bros
  • Tetris
  • World of Warcraft

Yes, it seems pretty clean.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Asteroids, DDR and Metroid are the most deserving from this list of being in the hall.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spacewar! for sure, it's easily one of the most important games in history, and also got Nolan Bushnel interested in games.

I know both series already have representation on the list, but Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time both deserve nominations at some point. The former for basically creating competent movement in a 3D space, and the latter for it's massive legacy, still sitting atop metacritic 20 years later.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I'm wondering if Call of Duty 4 should have been the nominee, like FF7 is. I feel like the sequel did more to define the following decade of games than the original .

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recognize they have the original Zelda on their list already - but I'd argue OOT was a more important game for the industry.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DDR or Half Life would be my choice.

DDR was massive for it's prime and a movement, and Half Life impact can't be understated.

Edit:
But to be honest they all should get in.

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Seems like 4 games will make the cut cause they did it this way last year

Spacewar
Asteroids
Half-Life
Minecraft

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I'm wondering if Call of Duty 4 should have been the nominee, like FF7 is. I feel like the sequel did more to define the following decade of games than the original .

Yeah, I agree. COD 4 is way more relevant and influential than the first entry in the series. It's what most people think ofowhen they think of COD.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Solid existing list and solid crop of nominees. They could add stuff a little more quickly but perhaps then it would get too bloated.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
In all fairness, John Madden Football is EA's first successful sports game, it helped create a new model for sports franchises and is still a series that gets instant recolonization, US or not.

I think you're overestimating how much people care or even know what the heck a John Madden is outside north america

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I think you're overestimating how much people care or even know what the heck a John Madden is outside north america

Yeah, I realize Fifa is a bigger franchise, but Madden still set groundwork for the direction that sports game went in after its release. Madden was the stepping stone that took EA from being a mid-tier 16-bit microcomputer publisher to being one of the biggest publishers on the planet. Which was what I was getting at. Weather that is a bad or a good thing, it is still a ground breaking game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I realize Fifa is a bigger franchise, but Madden still set groundwork for the direction that sports game went in after its release. Madden was the stepping stone that took EA from being a smaller16-bit microcomputer developer to being one of the biggest ones on the planet. Which was what I was getting at. Weather that is a bad or a good thing, it is still a ground breaking game.

I'm not minimizing the importance of Madden to EA or saying FIFA is more deserving ( it isn't) I just think that your part about how recognizable the game is outside the US is...off the mark

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they only do whole franchises? But why is CoD specified as 2003 then?
Worthless post. All those games belong there, though I'm not sure about Ms Pac Man over the original or the original CoD over 4.
Fallout 1 should go in before New Vegas.
Seems to me like they only do whole franchises anyway. So Fallout as a whole will probably get in at some point.
Edit: Nvm they got GTA 3 and SF 2 in there
Who on earth would pick Metroid over Super?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The current members in the Hall of Fame are so strong it's hard to put these new entries next to them. Like, imagine you are in videogame Hall of Fame before OoT.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I'm not minimizing the importance of Madden to EA or saying FIFA is more deserving ( it isn't) I just think that your part about how recognizable the game is outside the US is...off the mark

Yeah I guess you're right, Madden doesn't really reach out further than North America in general. I still think Madden is a pretty well known name world wide, but that doesn't entirely reflect on sales globally.

I get this feeling that Madden is generally known more as a brand globally. I doubt the person it was named after; John Madden, is really that well known outside of America.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out of the nominees FF 7, Metroid and Half Life should definetly get in there. That's not even a question.
No, they do the initial releases of games thus far. When they say Super Mario Bros, they really mean Super Mario Bros the game.
Yeah I noticed with GTA 3 and SF 2. But why Metroid over Super Metroid then? Because it started the genre?
Seems like that's a big factor in there.
Seems like 4 games will make the cut cause they did it this way last year

Spacewar
Asteroids
Half-Life
Minecraft
Maybe 6 with Metroid and FF 7. :P

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft, Spacewar, FF7, King's Quest, Metroid.

Save the others for next time.