• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Curb is easily the best comedy of all time.

giphy.gif

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

ABC's "The Great Christmas Light Fight" is even with its season 6 finale from last year. "The Good Doctor" is even from last week.
NBC's "The Voice" is also even with last week, while "Making It" hit a series low. It's down by 0.2 from its first season finale back on September 4, 2018.
Fox's "9-1-1" went up 0.1 from last week, while "Prodigal Son" held steady.
The CW's lineup is even from last week.

Fast-Demo-2019-Dec-02-MON.png

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HBO Max, in partnership with Britain's Channel 4, has landed exclusive U.S. streaming rights to upcoming period drama Boys (working title). Principal photography on the five-part series began in October and is scheduled to air in the UK in 2020.

The series, which hails from multi-BAFTA-winning writer-producer Russell T. Davies, charts the emotional journey of five friends during the 1980s, a decade in which everything changed, most notably with the rise of AIDS. Olly Alexander, Nathaniel Curtis, Shaun Dooley, Omari Douglas, Stephen Fry, Neil Patrick Harris, Keeley Hawes, Callum Scott Howells, Tracy Ann Oberman, and Lydia West star in the London-set drama.

Multi-Emmy nominee Morgan returned to television in 2018 with the The Last O.G. on TBS. His most recent special, Staying Alive debuted on Netflix and he recently announced his 2020 comedy tour, No Disrespect. He will executive produce this special for HBO Max.

In addition to his role on TBS series Search Party, Early had sold out runs of his live show, John Early: Now More Than Ever, in New York and Los Angeles. This will mark Early's first one-hour television special which will showcase his talent in stand-up, characters, and cover song performances. The special is executive produced by Early and A24.

Matafeo's show Horndog won Best Show at the Edinburgh Comedy Awards 2018. In addition to her first comedy special, Matafeo will also work with HBO Max on Starstruck, a new comedy series she wrote and created. Starstruck and the stand-up special are produced by Avalon Television and executive produced by Matafeo, Rob Aslett, Jon Thoday and Richard Allen-Turner.

Rounding out the quartet of comedy is Shah, a double Edinburgh Comedy Award nominee for Best Comedy Show in 2017 and 2018. He has had sold-out runs in London's West End, as well as successful UK and international tours, including runs at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal. He is currently on tour with his new stand-up show Dots. Produced by Avalon Television, Shah will executive produce his first stand-up comedy special alongside Rob Aslett, Jon Thoday, and Richard Allen-Turner.

Trailer for Netflix's new show "Soundtrack":

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
50 shows a year seems like a lot considering you're committing to like 10-20 hours per show, but then when I think about it, I actually have no idea how much I watch.

I guess it's as absurd as 50 games in a year, which I think is impossible if you're an RPG fan. lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
50 shows a year seems like a lot considering you're committing to like 10-20 hours per show, but then when I think about it, I actually have no idea how much I watch.

I guess it's as absurd as 50 games in a year, which I think is impossible if you're an RPG fan. lol

I didnt mean actually 52 shows, just a similar style thread like there is for games and movies/books.

TV gets the shaft I tell you!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
50 shows a year is easily doable.
I honestly don't know if that's a lot or not because the number seems so abstract. I guess if you're doing the TV critic grind, you're probably doing at least 100 seasons a year?

I still think 50 shows becomes or borders on unreasonable if you actually have to watch every season though, unless you basically give up on all other hobbies or you're not watching normally (1.5x speed, "folding laundry", etc).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't know if that's a lot or not because the number seems so abstract. I guess if you're doing the TV critic grind, you're probably doing at least 100 seasons a year?

I still think 50 shows becomes or borders on unreasonable if you actually have to watch every season though, unless you basically give up on all other hobbies or you're not watching normally (1.5x speed, "folding laundry", etc).

well 1 season would be 1 show I guess. Just like resident evil 1 and resident evil 2 are 2 games, its not 1 for the Resident evil series. Or the 7 GoT books are 7 books etc for the book thread :)

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
well 1 season would be 1 show I guess. Just like resident evil 1 and resident evil 2 are 2 games, its not 1 for the Resident evil series. Or the 7 GoT books are 7 books etc for the book thread :)
And you can skip bad episodes because they're like optional sidequests? lol
I suppose it's all arbitrary anyway haha.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I have over a hundred "currently running" shows marked on my TV calendar. Some of those are British shows that aren't around for a few years at a time, but I still watch a ton of TV, movies and games without dropping any specific hobby. Don't get me wrong, I'm still extreme, but it's doable. I don't multitask while watching either. If its not worth watching straight I drop it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I have over a hundred "currently running" shows marked on my TV calendar. Some of those are British shows that aren't around for a few years at a time, but I still watch a ton of TV, movies and games without dropping any specific hobby. Don't get me wrong, I'm still extreme, but it's doable. I don't multitask while watching either. If its not worth watching straight I drop it.
It's funny because the only way I have time to play any games is if I multitask. I feel bad but oh well. lol

But even in "episodic" video content there's a lot more competition now as well - is Bon Appetit's content comparable to a TV show?
If we count "ongoing" television I probably do watch a lot still even though I basically stopped watching CBS' entire NCIS-verse line up (and got back like 8 hours a week lol), but it seems like a different way of measuring compared to 50 books or films a year.

Then again, TV really is just different and you probably can't count like 14 seasons of Frasier as a "single show".

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I started keeping track of how many shows I've watched this year. With the metric of the season of the show had to start in 2019, so nothing that started in 2018 and finished in 2019. Also I've watched every episode of the season, which is a lot easier to do with streaming shows where a season might only consist of 6 or 8 episodes.

I started with You're The Worst Season 5 way back in January, with Always Sunny Season 14 being the latest to complete back a couple weeks back.

I think I'm like at 58 right now, with the number only going to get bigger with a few shows about to complete their season.

Also I think I might have an addiction, lol.

lucky300

Aug 9, 2018
'Schooled' Gets Full-Season Order At ABC With Tom Hertz & Vanessa McCarthy As New Showrunners
ABC has given a Back 9 order to comedy series Schooled, bringing its sophomore run to a full-season 22 episodes. As part of the pickup, Tom Hertz and Vanessa McCarthy have been named new showrunners of The Goldbergs spinoff, from Sony TV Studios and ABC Studios. They replace Tim Doyle, who has left over creative differences.

Schooled was the last remaining broadcast series awaiting word on a back order. As a midseason entry last season, it had been renewed for a second season with a 13-episode initial order. Its full-season pickup never was in doubt; it just was delayed until series' producers Sony TV and ABC Studios locked in a new showrunner.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to give Schooled a chance but I don't even leave it as background noise at this point. Not for me. I'm starting to cut out shows from my watch time a lot more quickly at this point.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, maybe he didn't want it to be that?
After they killed the initial pilot and made it all about Laney, I don't know what anyone was expecting to get out of it.

Maybe I could see the showrunner wanting a clean break and being burdened with these cameos from the original show is annoying... I suppose the worst case scenario is if they decide to move the entire cast over once Goldbergs is done. But I already feel like making a spinoff comes with that baggage anyway. lol

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings:

NBC's "The Voice" went down 0.1 from last week. "Making It" held steady from yesterday.
Fox's "The Resident" went up 0.2 from last week, while "Empire" went up 0.1.
The CW's "The Flash" went up 0.1 from last week. "Arrow" held steady.

Fast-Demo-2019-Dec-03-TUE.png

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

another crazy ass Netflix documentary about a crazy ass story that I somehow never heard about. Like that bank heist one for example.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, Peacock getting shown that close to launch is ballsy but then again, they have the infrastructure anyways

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woody Harrelson & Justin Theorux are "The White House Plumbers"

HBO has greenlighted The White House Plumbers, a five-part limited series starring Woody Harrelson and and Justin Theroux, which revisits one of the biggest political scandals in American history. The project hails from Veep executive producers Alex Gregory, Peter Huyck and David Mandel, and Rubin Fleischer and David Bernad's The District. The limited series is a co-production between HBO and wiip.

Written by Gregory and Huyck and directed by Mandel, The White House Plumbers is based part on public records and the book Integrity by Egil "Bud" Krogh and Matthew Krogh. The series tells the true story of how Nixon's own political saboteurs and Watergate masterminds, E. Howard Hunt, played by Harrelson, and G. Gordon Liddy, played by Theroux, accidentally toppled the Presidency they were zealously trying to protect.

Oct 25, 2017

10 - 20 hours per show?

but I watch Price Is Right/Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy faithfully, and then I'll add the local news and nascar...I guess from these commitments I'm already doing 10-20 hrs per week and thats without actual scripted shows :(

Status
Not open for further replies.