• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings for Wednesday night:

CBS's "SEAL Team" adjusted down 0.1.
Everything else stayed the same.

Final-Bcast-2019-Oct-23-WED.png

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Variety delivers a worrying review for "His Dark Materials":

But after watching half the season, it's hard to shake the feeling that, even with such a detailed text to draw from, there's a strange flatness to the show itself. It jumps between storylines without much structural purpose, so that the endings of episodes feel less like the story reaching a naturally dramatic cliffhanger than hitting the wall of 60 minutes. It drops huge reveals in even huger monologues that skilled actors struggle to convey. It telegraphs twists from miles away despite having ample time and space in which to lay the groundwork.
The most jarring part of the series, however, is that it somehow renders the potentially vast, bleak, mysterious world of "His Dark Materials" into something more generic.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was curious to see Jason tackle new material following Season 7, but this could be intriguing. I assume it would cover the beginnings of The Grounders and all the different tribes that formed.
If it moves forward I would hope it doesn't involve any of the tribes from the show and instead is about survivors from a different part of the US.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
They really should keep it going, or at least put it on HBO Max or something. Maybe at the WarnerMedia briefing next week they announce something.

I mean, if HBO wants to scrap Cinemax's original scripted line up, fine. I get it. It was ultimately a failed half hearted experiment - but at least keep Warrior and Jett (and maybe Gangs of London is that's not a mini-series. Oh yeah, and Tales from the Tour Bus!) going on HBO Max...

I don't hate the idea of a flashback episode showing the origins of the grounders, but an entire other show focusing on grounder politics? When The 100 itself has been primarily concerned with that for like 5 seasons now? idk

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I figured with the long wait and Marvel restructuring their TV division that Cloak & Dagger might be a goner.

I really liked the show and felt it had a different feel than most comic book series. Not only in the way it was shot, but also in some of the issues it tackled. The focus on 2 characters for the most part, really let them build up Tandy and Tyrone and establish their connection.

Andre was a really good villain for Season 2 as well.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" and "How to Get Away with Murder" went up 0.1 from last week, while "A Million Little Things" went up 0.2.
CBS's "Young Sheldon" and "The Unicorn" also went up 0.1 from last week, although "Evil" went down 0.2. Good thing "Evil" was already renewed.
NBC's "Will & Grace" returned way down from its season 10 finale back in April. It's actually the least-watched episode of the entire series. Good thing it's the last one. But, to be fair, "Will & Grace" didn't get a lot of hype since it did replace "Sunnyside" last minute. It did do better than "Sunnyside" ever did though. "Law and Order: SVU" went up 0.1 from last week.
The CW's "Legacies" went down 0.1 from last week.

Fast-Demo-2019-Oct-24-THU.png

Oct 25, 2017
was a goofy episode of Evil

Also, feel like the quality of kid actors has declined, the end episode crying scene was cringe and bad.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Why? The network/streamer is betting on the creator's ideas for shows to be big enough hits that the deal pays for itself and then some. It's not like unproven people get overall deals. Pretty sure the network/streamer owns all the ideas even if they don't make the show during the deal and may return to the idea later.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Why? The network/streamer is betting on the creator's ideas for shows to be big enough hits that the deal pays for itself and then some. It's not like unproven people get overall deals. Pretty sure the network/streamer owns all the ideas even if they don't make the show during the deal and may return to the idea later.

Seems like a way to take control over a creator so others' can't have them for diversity of content and carriers.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the terms of the deal, but that's typically not true. If something doesn't get sold under the overall, the creator is usually free to take it elsewhere after the deal expires. Even if something IS sold (whether under an overall or just to a network), that work comes back to the creator after a few years if it was not produced.
Seems like a way to take control over a creator so others' can't have them for diversity of content and carriers.
That's absolutely what it is. That is why you see it happen both with big proven names and new showrunners who only have had one hit. It's ultimately a win-win though in most cases as under an overall the network/studio is basically obligated to develop/attempt to sell whatever you come up with (not to mention the individuals under the deal get paid the big bucks).

There's also a sort of laxer version of overall deals called first-look deals, which are basically the same but the creators, while under the deal, are allowed to try to sell projects to other places as well, after the place they have the deal with has first chance to say they want it or not.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings for Thursday night:

NBC's "Law and Order: SVU" adjusted down 0.1.
Fox's "NFL Thursday Night Football" final rating is at 3.9, which is down 0.3 from last week, but it's football so it'll be perfectly fine.
Everything else stayed the same.

Final-Bcast-2019-Oct-24-THU.png

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that about Nancy Drew, I've been enjoying it.

So is Legacies a full 22 this season, then?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Bojack season 6 is out today? I completely forgot about it but apparently I set a pre-scheduled text for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.