• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
eE0RJJ4.jpg

What's this thread and why should I care?
This thread is home to ratings, cancellation news, news about pilots/shows being developed, and general industry news.

Shows are gonna get canned. Some will survive. In the new landscape of digital TV services like Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Peacock, CBS All Access, Ouibi, Epix, Crackle, Voo, Magnetbox, Sorny, Seattle (Yes, I made up some of those names.), regular TV needs to be exciting just as now more than ever.

Here, you will see which shows survive to the next year, decade and beyond! (Well, not anymore past 3 years if you're on a streaming service but that's not the point!)

Let's get invested in Nielsens, Hulu views and other means that'll help a show survive to the next season.

Want to discuss the show you're currently watching, or check out recent trailers take a look at the TV threads:

Renewal/Cancellation scorecards for 2019-2020 season:
TVLine: Cable
TVLine: Streaming
TVLine: Broadcast
Metacritic (all three)

Ratings resources:
Showbuzzdaily, because TV by the numbers is the worst

GZwM6Ci.jpg

A.P. Bio (NBC) (To Peacock)
The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Child Support (ABC)
Code Black (CBS)
The Cool Kids (Fox)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (The CW)
Dancing With the Stars: Juniors (ABC)
Elementary (CBS)
The Enemy Within (NBC)
Fam (CBS)
The Fix (ABC)
For the People (ABC)
The Gifted (Fox)
Gotham (Fox)
Happy Together (CBS)
I Feel Bad (NBC)
iZombie (The CW)
Jane the Virgin (The CW)
The Kids Are Alright (ABC)
Lethal Weapon (Fox)
Life in Pieces (CBS)
Love Connection (Fox)
Marlon (NBC)
Midnight, Texas (NBC)
Murphy Brown (CBS)
The Passage (Fox)
Proven Innocent (Fox)
The Red Line (CBS)
Rel (Fox)
Reverie (NBC)
Salvation (CBS)
Shades of Blue (NBC)
Speechless (ABC)
Splitting Up Together (ABC)
Star (Fox
Take Two (ABC)
Timeless (NBC)
Trial & Error (NBC)
The Village (NBC)
Whiskey Cavalier (ABC)

"All About the Washingtons" (Netflix)
"Alone Together" (Freeform)
"The Anazing World of Gumball" (CN)
"American Vandal" (Netflix)
"Andi Mack" (Disney Channel)
"Angie Tribeca" (TBS)
"Animals" (HBO)
"Another Period" (Comedy Central)
"Chambers" (Netflix)
"Channel Zero" (SyFy)
"Counterpart" (Starz)
"Crashing" (HBO)
"Deadly Class" (SyFy)
"Designated Survivor" (Netflix)
"The Detour" (TBS)
"Detroiters" (Comedy Central)
"Dietland" (AMC)
"The First" (Hulu)
"Friends From College" (Netflix)
"Good Behavior" (TNT)
"The Good Cop" (Netflix)
"Happy!" (SyFy)
"Hit the Floor" (BET)
"Humans" (AMC)
"I Love You, America" (Hulu)
"I'm Dying Up Here" (Showtime)
"Into the Badlands" (AMC)
"Krypton" (SyFy)
"Marvel's Daredevil" (Netflix)
"Marvel's Iron Fist" (Netflix)
"Marvel's Jessica Jones" (Netflix)
"Marvel's Luke Cage" (Netflix)
"Marvel's The Punisher" (Netflix)
"Nathan For You" (Comedy Central)
"Now Apocalypse" (Starz)
"Nightflyers" (SyFy)
"The OA" (Netflix)
"OK KO: Let's Be Heroes" (CN)
"One Day at a Time" (Netflix) – revived by Pop
"One Dollar" (CBS All Access)
"Outcast" (Cinemax)
"Patriot" (Amazon)
"The Romanoffs" (Amazon)
"Santa Clarita Diet" (Netflix)
"She's Gotta Have It" (Netflix)
"SMILF" (Showtime)
"Sneaky Pete" (Amazon)
"The Son" (AMC)
"Swamp Thing" (DC Universe)
"Teachers" (TV Land)
"The Tick" (Amazon)
"Too Old to Die Young" (Amazon)
"Travelers" (Netflix)
"Tuca and Bertie" (Netflix)
"Vikings" (History)
"Wrecked" (TBS)
"Z Nation" (SyFy)
Preacher (AMC)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
You're the Worst (FXX)
Veep (HBO)
Legion (FX)
Broad City (Comedy Central)
Easy (Netflix)
Orange is the New Black (Netflix)
Catastrophe (Prime)
Stan Against Evil (IFC)
The Affair (Showtime) - ending 11/3

God bless berzeli for doing all of this in the first place

Get ready as we enter the year
MV5BNjdlYzc3YzEtNDMxYS00Zjk2LThiYjUtZWY0NmViMzhiZjc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI4MTk3MTY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I always had this doubt: Does series ending that were choose to end enters the list?

Like will supernatural be here?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
surprised the Umbrella Academy was so high up there, and also Sex Education. Both were good, but I didn't hear a ton of buzz.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thank you for the new thread, mreddie ! It's funny, I asked Ratsky if I could make one and he said it was fine. I just didn't get around to it. Oh well. I'm glad we have one now. Thank you again.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the new thread, mreddie ! It's funny, I asked Ratsky if I could make one and he said it was fine. I just didn't get around to it. Oh well. I'm glad we have one now. Thank you again.
I just need a mod to freshen up the OT title since Sunnyside is now canned, I left it open for the funny title.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Here's the cable stuff that ended.

CABLE/STREAMING

"Angie Tribeca" (TBS)
"Animals" (HBO)
"Chambers" (Netflix)
"Channel Zero" (SyFy)
"Counterpart" (Starz)
"Crashing" (HBO)
"Deadly Class" (SyFy)
"The Detour" (TBS)
"Dietland" (AMC)
"The First" (Hulu)
"Good Behavior" (TNT)
"The Good Cop" (Netflix)
"Happy!" (SyFy)
"Hit the Floor" (BET)
"Humans" (AMC)
"Krypton" (SyFy)
"Now Apocalypse" (Starz)
"Nightflyers" (SyFy)
"The OA" (Netflix)
"Outcast" (Cinemax)
"Patriot" (Amazon)
"The Romanoffs" (Amazon)
"SMILF" (Showtime)
"Sneaky Pete" (Amazon)
"The Son" (AMC)
"Teachers" (TV Land)
"The Tick" (Amazon)
"Travelers" (Netflix)
"Vikings" (History)
"Wrecked" (TBS)
"Z Nation" (SyFy)

Technically Steven Universe counts as well as it ended with the movie.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Added to OP, now we need OT title, I can't think of a Sunnyside joke.
Added Andi Mack before you added it. They didn't have any of the cartion shows that ended, so I had to add all that I knew. Cartoons and teen sitcoms deserve as much commemoration as do other shows (fuck reality tv shows though).

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Nice pickup for HBO Max

Yeah this is great, especially for those that may not have seen some of them. It's funny, because just yesterday ANN cross-posted an article from Polygon saying "Ghibli has no plans to make these titles stream anywhere, worldwide, something something should be done in a theatrical environment". Ok.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
"NBC sees no Sunnyside to new show's ratings"
"Karl Penn deported for insufficient laughs"

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Here's the cable stuff that ended.

CABLE/STREAMING

"Angie Tribeca" (TBS)
"Animals" (HBO)
"Chambers" (Netflix)
"Channel Zero" (SyFy)
"Counterpart" (Starz)
"Crashing" (HBO)
"Deadly Class" (SyFy)
"The Detour" (TBS)
"Dietland" (AMC)
"The First" (Hulu)
"Good Behavior" (TNT)
"The Good Cop" (Netflix)
"Happy!" (SyFy)
"Hit the Floor" (BET)
"Humans" (AMC)
"Krypton" (SyFy)
"Now Apocalypse" (Starz)
"Nightflyers" (SyFy)
"The OA" (Netflix)
"Outcast" (Cinemax)
"Patriot" (Amazon)
"The Romanoffs" (Amazon)
"SMILF" (Showtime)
"Sneaky Pete" (Amazon)
"The Son" (AMC)
"Teachers" (TV Land)
"The Tick" (Amazon)
"Travelers" (Netflix)
"Vikings" (History)
"Wrecked" (TBS)
"Z Nation" (SyFy)

Technically Steven Universe counts as well as it ended with the movie.

Preacher (AMC)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
You're the Worst (FXX)
Veep (HBO)
Legion (FX)
Easy (Netflix)
Catastrophe (Prime)
Stan Against Evil (IFC)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, like I said in the announcement thread, once the prestige wore off Disney couldn't give less of a fuck about Ghibli. They passed on their later films and shit out mediocre blu-ray releases.
It was only to get the Japanese audience but they honestly never cared once Iger took over.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, like I said in the announcement thread, once the prestige wore off Disney couldn't give less of a fuck about Ghibli. They passed on their later films and shit out mediocre blu-ray releases.
It was only to get the Japanese audience but they honestly never cared once Iger took over.
Sure, but they know there's still an audience for them. I'm surprised Disney just let them go to a direct competitor when they could have sealed it up. Even with Looney Toons and the Cartoon Network stuff, animation is one of WB's weaker categories. This strengthens it in a nice way.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but they know there's still an audience for them. I'm surprised Disney just let them go to a direct competitor when they could have sealed it up. Even with Looney Toons and the Cartoon Network stuff, animation is one of WB's weaker categories. This strengthens it in a nice way.
Max has Crunchyroll stuff on it so they are already stacked on that front.

Oct 25, 2017
Tonights EVIL on CBS

Google VR Headset The Episode. Wow.

Honestly, for me, CBS best show since Zoo. I legit feel things from this show like I did for that one.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Preacher (AMC)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
You're the Worst (FXX)
Veep (HBO)
Legion (FX)
Easy (Netflix)
Catastrophe (Prime)
Stan Against Evil (IFC)
Yeah, please add those to the OT.

Now that we have a proper new OT, I can get more in depth with this season.

Well... at least these set of pilots is better than last year. Still, a lot more got kept than I thought. Though only one new show that I followed survived. Speaking of which, I'll go over the stuff that got cancelled.

The Gifted- I decided to give the show a second chance since while it was rough in a lot of places, it did give us some good character interactions. Sadly, they doubled down on the worst aspects and the worst actors failed to improve on themselves. I want to say I was sad it ended, but it was over the moment Disney bought FOX. At least the show had a bit of closure.

Marvel's Network show - Mixed bag. I thought Daredevil was a nice return to form and would have loved to see what they did with costume Bullseye. I also thought that they improved upon Jessica Jones. But Lue Cage stayed the same, Iron Fist was marginally better and I'm resigned to the fact that I will never get behind a Punisher show. I guess I was ready for the inevitable cancellation due to the merger.

Big Bang Theory - What can I say? Your finale ended up being better than that of Game of Thrones. In fact, it was the best episode in a while. Besides issues with the resolution of Penny and Raj, it was a nice send off to those nerds and their wives. With that said, I'm glad it's finally over.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - God bless the CW to keeping the show as long as they did. The show stayed mostly consistent to the end with great songs and a satisfying conclusion to Rebecca Bunch. And they finally got an Emmy too.

Jane the Virgin - I know a lot of people on Era didn't like the conclusion to the love triangle, but I didn't mind. I was more Team Jane than anything, and merely wanted a conclusion that made sense, and that's exactly what I got.

Speechless - I thought I wouldn't mind the show ending at first, but that ending was so good, I was hoping the show could pull off one more miracle. Alas... despite the dip in quality, the show should be proud of itself for pulling off such a show for 3 seasons. May you haunt the set of Single Parents for the rest of its existence.

The Amazing World of Gumball - If you thought keeping sitcoms consistently good for multiple seasons is tough, try doing the same for cartoons. Yet that is exactly what Gumball did after all these years. We all feared that the show would go on without its creator, but he decided to leave things while the going is good. It's for the best, as the show will likely be revered for the coming years. Let's hope for that movie to resolve things.

Trial & Error - This is a grey area considering it didn't have any episode in this season, but I will miss this show as one of my favorite sitcoms in the past few years.

Into the Badlands - Yes, the story never quite lived up to the other aspects of the show, but I look at it admirably for its attempt to bring Eastern Style fight scenes to American audiences. Let's hope they can find a comic book publisher to finish the story.

Deadly Class - Now this one hurts. Sure, the show wasn't the best new comic book show out there, but there was potential there and the cast was simply fantastic. I would have loved to see if they could improve with a second season or how much of the original comic they can keep. Instead, we are left with what could have been. Screw you Syfy and your hesitation for scripted shows. Speaking of screwed over comic book shows...

The Tick - Really sucks that we won't get to see more of the story. I thought they did a great job with both seasons. It sucks that Amazon didn't have the money to keep up with the show.

Steven Universe(?) - Might as well since it's confirmed the movie was the finale. All I will say is... amazing job with the series. May the Z edition be just as good.

Here's what I'm watching this season:
Bob's Burgers
Supergirl
Batwoman
Bob Hearts Abishola
Black Lightning
The Flash
Arrow
mixed-ish
black-ish
Nancy Drew
Stumptown
AEW Dynamite
Superstore
The Good Place
Mom
Fresh off the Boat
The Runaways
Doctor Who
One Day at a Time
Off the Block
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Legends of Tomorrow
What We Do In the Shadows
The 100
Agents of SHIELD
Steven Universe: The Future
We Bare Bears
Ducktales
GLOW

As for the new shows... well they've all been a mixed bag... unless you count AEW which has been entertaining so far. I've already started to lose interest in Stumptown and Nancy Drew and may drop out of both pretty soon. The Nigerian show isn't a disaster, but not that funny either, but at least I only have Black Lightning to watch. Batwoman has been okay, but it's easily the weakest CW superhero show right now. The only 'new' show I've been enjoying is Superstore and that's been around for a while. I plan to watch the earlier episodes this winter along with the Runaways. And in the summer, I'll watch Xena along with the first 2 seasons of Mom and the Carmichael Show.

I'm not as much of a vindictive mood as last season because... I'm honestly not as worried about shows ending besides What We Do In The Shadows and the Netflix shows. The others are either on a downward trend, guaranteed to be renewed/cancelled or have had long enough seasons to be okay with them ending. This will probably mean I'll look into more cable/streaming stuff in the future. Until then, I will watch the longrunners like a Grim Reaper to see if any of them bite the dust this year. I have a feeling Fresh off the Boat will get cancelled and black-ish will get one last season, especially if mixed-ish can stay consistent in its ratings. Oh and I don't think One Day at a Time will survive cable... which is a cancellation that would actually hurt. Next tv season of the CW will be interesting. A bet everything else will be renewed, but by now they have run out of longrunners to get rid of. That may take a while given how desperate networks are for shows with good ratings. I predict Dynasty closes out at 4 seasons and Legends closes things out with a swansong season. Oh and Pandora/Outcast finally gets canned.

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" went down 0.2 from last week, while "A Million Little Things" went down 0.1.
CBS's "Young Sheldon" went down 0.1 from last week, while "Carol's Second Act" and "Evil" went up 0.1.
NBC's night held steady.
Fox's "NFL Thursday Night Football" went down by 1.8 from last week, but obviously still won the night. And I'm sure finals will adjust it up a bit too.
The CW's night went down 0.1 from last week.

Fast-Demo-2019-Oct-17-THU.png

Oct 25, 2017
I hope EVIL gets an s2. For the first time in a while I have no qualms with none of the 3 main cast members as well as their individual plots.

Last nights episode
cried that the son was killed I guess, was hoping they'd have discovered what was leading him to act that way, was confused how they left him alone with the baby when he already bit her before though...

Nov 1, 2017
I think Evil's got a decent shot. It's pulling comparable numbers to the network average in the Thursday Night Death Slot and CBS seems to like working with the Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.