• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
M. Night Shyamalan has been slapped with a federal lawsuit accusing him of ripping off his Apple show "Servant."

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, director Francesca Gregorini is suing the director, Apple Inc and show producers.

Gregorini claims "Servant is a wholesale copy of Plaintiff Francesca Gregorini's 2013 feature film The Truth About Emanuel", which starred Jessica Biel.
She claims, "Defendants have arrogantly dismissed Ms. Gregorini's protests by vaguely claiming that Servant was in development long before Emanuel was made, and that any similarity is a coincidence. Indeed, Mr. Shyamalan and Mr. Basgallop implausibly claim they have never seen Emanuel—apparently not even curious enough to watch after hearing Ms. Gregorini's objections. Worse, Apple has brought stonewalling to a new level by simply referring inquiries to Mr. Shyamalan's lawyer (who in turns says he cannot speak for Apple).

Gregorini is suing for unspecified damages, all profits Apple made from the show and an injunction against the defendants from further distributing "Servant".

Oops.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the picture first and assumed bad news. I'm very happy TBS rescued this when Fox (seemingly) randomly decided to drop it. Eagerly awaiting the new season.

Between this and F/X renewing AHS for three more seasons I can't help but think some of these big renewals are just the studios trying to stay in business with these creators after they signed major deals elsewhere. F/X can't get new shows from Ryan Murphy anymore so they are going to do their damnedest to keep his current shows on the channel. Same here with MacFarlane. I think that could keep Station 19 on ABC longer than it's ratings may warrant as well.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and F/X renewing AHS for three more seasons I can't help but think some of these big renewals are just the studios trying to stay in business with these creators after they signed major deals elsewhere. F/X can't get new shows from Ryan Murphy anymore so they are going to do their damnedest to keep his current shows on the channel. Same here with MacFarlane. I think that could keep Station 19 on ABC longer than it's ratings may warrant as well.
Yeah, I actually was thinking something similar with the MacFarlane thing considering that deal he just got. Even if they have other shows to choose from, I don't think a lot of networks are willing to lose something that they know works. Although, I'd be kind of surprised if Ryan Murphy, Seth MacFarlane, etc would abandon or stop caring about other projects on different networks since its still money earned even when they are contracted with someone else.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Game Of Thrones' Prequel 'House Of The Dragon' To Launch In 2022
House of the Dragon, HBO's straight-to-series prequel to Game Of Thrones, is on track for a 2022 debut, HBO President of Programming Casey Bloys said in an interview with Deadline during TCA.

"My guess is sometime in 2022," he said about when the series will debut, stressing that it is too early to be more specific than that.

"They are starting writing," Bloys said of the project from George R.R. Martin and Ryan Condal.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
More Bloys quotes from Deadline:
"I think the thing with Big Little Lies is you have a group of people who all really love working together but obviously they're some of the most high-profile people working in entertainment. Reese, Nicole, Zoe, Laura, everybody is so busy. It would be great to get the band back together at some point but right now everybody is so busy and there's no idea, where we're all saying 'that makes perfect sense'. I think it's more of one of those 'someday'," he told Deadline.

Similarly, Turturro was asked whether he would get back into the eczema skin of The Night Of's New York City criminal attorney John Stone soon. "We have a couple of ideas but we have to sit down and discuss them, so we're at that stage so that's good," he told Deadline. Co-creator Richard Price was also at TCA to promote Stephen King adaptation The Outsider. "Richard has obviously been busy," added Bloys.

There was also no update on further iterations of True Detective. The third season of the show, which premiered in January 2019, starred Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff. Bloys previously said that he would wait for an idea from creator Nic Pizzolatto and told Deadline today there was "nothing imminent". "I think he's figuring out what he wants to, what the next move for him is," he said.
Damon Lindelof's continuation of the DC Comics series, created by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, was billed as a one-off series but its success has prompted talk about a followup.

"It is really up to Damon at this point, he is thinking about what he wants to do," HBO President of Programming Casey Bloys told Deadline at TCA. "Truly, I don't know at this point whether it is a returning drama series or a limited series. I think one of the things Damon did so brilliantly was, he opened up this entire world. So maybe there is another version with a whole new set of characters. I don't know because Damon doesn't know, and I'm talking his lead on this."

Bloys would be open to anything Lindelof would want to do next, Watchmen-related — or not.

"If it's a season two — great, if it's a new take on the world — great, if it's something else complexly, I'm just going take his lead."
Regarding His Dark Materials:

HBO and the BBC, which co-produced the show, initially gave the series a 16-episode, two-season order. The first two seasons, written by Jack Thorne, are essentially based on the first two books in the novel series, Northern Lights and The Subtle Knife, although Thorne admitted he had "stolen" a few "treats" from other books.

Although Thorne admits that he has "stolen" a "few treats" from other books, the first two seasons are essentially based on Northern Lights and The Subtle Knife. Now, HBO and the BBC must decide whether to greenlight a third season. The third book, The Amber Spyglass, follows Lyra at 16, which would tie up with filming in 2021. "Season two is just coming in and I think once we get season two, we'll talk about season three and what it would look like. We obviously have to talk to the BBC," added Bloys.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Soderbergh!

Interesting to hear that there's talk of splitting the material of the third book of His Dark Materials into two seasons. Sounds like they'll decide what to do after finalizing S2.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Friends" reunion a maybe because of the money.

After years of mini reunions on TV and a recent selfie that almost broke Instagram, the Friends cast several months ago started conversations for an unscripted reunion special on the upcoming streaming platform HBO Max. The negotiations had recently came to a standstill in an impasse over money, I had heard, with the cast and producing studio Warner Bros. TV far part.

Some "Green Lantern" deets:

"It's going to span several decades on focus on two stories about Green Lanterns on Earth" as well as one in space "going into the Sinestro story" said the programming boss. Sinestro is a former Green Lantern Corps member who was dishonorably discharged for abusing his power. He is the archenemy of Hal Jordan and founder of the Sinestro Corps.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

There it is.

Cinemax is officially dead.

What's most baffling is that: "We're not planning to bring the Cinemax content into the service [HBO Max] overall."

What the actual fuck???

I'm guessing that means Warrior is not going to move forward after S2 and Jett is totally dead. They're still planning to air Gangs of London though, at least.

Dammit

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm guessing that means Warrior is not going to move forward after S2 and Jett is totally dead. They're still planning to air Gangs of London though, at least.

giphy.gif

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There it is.

What's most baffling is that: "We're not planning to bring the Cinemax content into the service [HBO Max] overall."

What the actual fuck???

Dammit
Jetttttttttttttt
I just realized I left this off my 2019 list. Oh well.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Given how the Wick series has been growing with each film and has really picked up steam with the third one, it's probably for the best that the show has taken a long time to put together, it'll debut when the franchise is a blockbuster rather than cult thing.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
I always feel like I'm the youngest person who watches these old BBC shows that are basically the equivalent of their CBS shows. Then I realize that I'm basically in that demographic myself now. lol

(Speaking of, Death in Paradise is also back lol)

I'm feel the same way usually XD Funny enough mom and I didn't care much for Death in Paradise.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There it is.

What the actual fuck???

Dammit
Seriously. This sucks big time. Liked both of their current shows quite a bit. And Gangs of London is such a big get with Gareth Evans... I can't believe it will just be a one and done. Its so bizarre -- are all their originals just going to be in a limbo where you can't stream them anywhere? It makes no logical sense that the back catalog isn't even going to be on HBO MAX.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feel the same way usually XD Funny enough mom and I didn't care much for Death in Paradise.
Haha, fair enough. I like it because it's a sunny show in January. lol
But also they've changed the lead characters so many times that even though the formula is stale, it's still different every few seasons. Sort of like Law and Order I suppose.

lucky300

Aug 9, 2018
NBC has greenlighted its second drama this cycle, handing a pilot order to La Brea, from writer David Appelbaum (The Enemy Within), Keshet Studios and Universal Television.

Written by Appelbaum, in La Brea, when a massive sinkhole mysteriously opens in Los Angeles, it tears a family in half, separating mother and son from father and daughter. When part of the family find themselves in an unexplainable primeval world, alongside a disparate group of strangers, they must work to survive and uncover the mystery of where they are and if there is a way back home.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There it is.

What the actual fuck???

Dammit

MFing Jett, I loved that show!

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. This sucks big time. Liked both of their current shows quite a bit. And Gangs of London is such a big get with Gareth Evans... I can't believe it will just be a one and done. Its so bizarre -- are all their originals just going to be in a limbo where you can't stream them anywhere? It makes no logical sense that the back catalog isn't even going to be on HBO MAX.
It's bizarre. Do the Cinemax shows have weird international deals that are getting in the way? It's all very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.