• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly assumed Marianne was a one season type deal anyway? Granted I didnt watch so I dunno if it ends on a cliffhanger or something.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I heard of Marianne when it hit Netflix and intended to watch it but Netflix's shitty Al Gore didn't deem it worthy of my recommendations so out of sight, out of mind it went. 🤷‍♂️

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Well I guess I can throw it off of My List now (if I can find it, Netflix hides it somewhere at the end, I guess).

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Mar-02-MON.png

Poof goes The Magicians

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Syfy, Sera Gamble & John McNamara Address the End of 'The Magicians'
If magic comes from pain, then a lot of folks are gonna be pulling hankies out of a hat today because it has just announced that The Magicians will be ending with its current fifth season, concluding with the April 1 episode.

"The Magicians has been a part of our Syfy family for five fantastic seasons. As we near the end of this journey, we want to thank John McNamara, Sera Gamble, Henry Alonso Myers, Lev Grossman, and our entire brilliant cast, crew, writers and directors for their beautiful creation. But most of all, we thank the fans for their tremendous support and passion. Because of you, magic will be in our hearts forever," the network said in a statement.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The Magicians Do Vanishing Act for SyFy

I really should watch the season. I have the episodes so far on my DVR. I hope they are able to conclude the way that they want to.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not to play devil's advocate, but going "bad netflix canceling all the shows!" at the same time seeing the thread full of "never watched / heard of it" is ironic to say the least. Reminds me people in gaming crying when games don't get sequels, except nobody bought the first one :p

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
not to play devil's advocate, but going "bad netflix canceling all the shows!" at the same time seeing the thread full of "never watched / heard of it" is ironic to say the least. Reminds me people in gaming crying when games don't get sequels, except nobody bought the first one :p
Those things don't clash, they are cause and effect.

Netflix is terrible at marketing their shows while at the same time flooding the market with countless new programs. Then, they cancel something because it "didn't find an audience."

But THEY are the ones responsible for getting that audience. Netflix's strategy with original programming is to push its babies out of the nest and, when they crash on the ground, blame them for not being able to fly.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Its a direct result of relying on poor machine learning algorithms to decide what people like for them, and bombarding the customers with choice by releasing at least five new shows, documentaries and movies a week.

You almost feel obligated to watch each show within a week of it coming out so that it doesn't get cancelled before you can get to it.

Last edited:

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I thought Marianne was announced to be cancelled a few months ago. I'm fine with it as a miniseries rather them stretching it out more.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I'll miss The Magicians but five years is a solid run. It's amazing how much better the show was than the books.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
They said they wrote this finale with the expectation it could be the end. S4 -> S5 is the only time they said they went into a finale knowing they were renewed.
Oh thank god. Would've been so annoyed if it ended on a huge cliffhanger.

This still sucks though. I've been losing all my favorite shows left and right.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Going forward, FX is changing up its scheduling strategy for all original shows on FX and FXX, as well as its digital FX on Hulu series: The season premieres of all new shows will include at least two episodes airing that first night (or, in the case of FX on Hulu shows, available to stream on premiere day), with an additional episode following each week. Previously, shows would debut with a single episode.

The premiere shift, inspired by new Disney corporate sibling Hulu, was FX's solution to its ongoing "dilemma" about whether to shift to the binge model embraced by streaming rivals like Netflix, in which an entire season of a series is dropped at once, said FX Networks chairman John Landgraf.

www.adweek.com

All FX Season Premieres Will Now Include At Least 2 Episodes

After considering a binge model shift, the company embraces a compromise.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking up the FX shows and did notice the double episodes. Weird. Also forgot that Devs is just online. Or I think it is cause I didn't see it on the schedule. Already missed the start of a show I wanted to check out

lucky300

Aug 9, 2018
variety.com

‘Fresh Off the Boat’ Team to Develop Comedy ‘Asian Descent’ at Freeform (EXCLUSIVE)

"Asian Descent" is described as a dark comedy about an aspiring musician
Multiple members of the production team behind ABC's "Fresh Off the Boat" are developing the comedy series "Asian Descent" at Freeform, Variety has learned exclusively.

"Fresh Off the Boat" executive producers Melvin Mar and Jake Kasdan are both onboard the project, along with series writer and co-producer Cindy Fang.

"Asian Descent" is described as a dark comedy about an aspiring musician who sets aside her dreams and pride by moving back home with her immigrant parents and leans on her high school friends to figure out the next chapter of her life.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Couple side notes

Not sure if it's just me, but what happened to the Netflix Top 10 lists? I saw it for like one day and then it disappeared.

Also looking at all the show via FX on Hulu, it just reaffirms my opinion they have had the basic cable crown for a while. I saw they have Wilfred on there, and it's a show I enjoyed a lot at one point but sometimes fades from memory and I feel a lot of people don't really mention it anymore.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Started watching Dracula and I'm loving the first episode but I'm NOT looking forward to the third episode given what everyone says :(

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Haven't seen it mentioned here but Atypical got renewed for a 4th and final season. So so so damn happy that this show exists, it's so sweet. While I'm sad it's ending, at least it gets to end on its own terms.

This is nice to hear. With the way the last episode of season 3 conveniently wrapped up every storyline with a feel-good bow, I thought it was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.