• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

And to save people some time.

The CW's Spring 2020 premiere schedule:

TUESDAY, MAY 12
8-9 PM THE FLASH (Original Episode)
9-10 PM STARGIRL (Series Broadcast Premiere)

WEDNESDAY, MAY 20
8-9 PM THE 100 (Season Premiere)

TUESDAY, MAY 26
8-9 PM STARGIRL (Original Episode)

THURSDAY, MAY 28
9-10 PM IN THE DARK (Season Premiere)

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I decided I'm really interested in watching these series:

Journeyman

Journeyman_-_intertitle.jpg

The Nine

The_Nine_intro.jpg

Daybreak

Day_Break_title.jpg

From 2006-2007. I can't find any place to stream any of them or buy episodes a la carte. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone seen them and have opinions? I only watched a few eps of The Nine back when it aired, and probably just the pilots of the other two.

Florida Girls catches Flack, cancelled with the Best Intentions

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pop TV cancels three of its original series: "Flack", "Florida Girls", and "Best Intentions"

variety.com

Three Pop TV Original Series Not Moving Forward as ViacomCBS Shifts Toward Owned IP (EXCLUSIVE)

Pop's hit series "Schitt's Creek" remains a network cornerstone, with the finale set to be simulcast on three ViacomCBS networks
Pop TV is paring down its scripted programming commitments as dust continues to settle from the Viacom-CBS merger. Variety has learned exclusively that three original series — "Flack," "Florida Girls," and "Best Intentions" — will not move ahead at the network. Their respective studios will be free to shop the shows to other outlets.

According to multiple sources, studio partners were informed at the beginning of this week that the shows would not be continuing at Pop. Production on at least two of the shows was scheduled to begin soon.

adg1034

Oct 25, 2017

Journeyman

The Nine

The_Nine_intro.jpg

Daybreak

Day_Break_title.jpg

From 2006-2007. I can't find any place to stream any of them or buy episodes a la carte. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone seen them and have opinions? I only watched a few eps of The Nine back when it aired, and probably just the pilots of the other two.

You have some very excellent taste. Though Day Break will always be (affectionately) Groundhog Taye in my heart. And a double dose of Moon Bloodgood!

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone seen them and have opinions?
I saw Journeyman and Day Break, I loved them both. They were really cool and fun to watch.

You should also watch New Amsterdam, not the New Amsterdam from 2018, but the New Amsterdam from 2008:

Then after that, go watch Forever, it's like the previous show, but with characters that swapped jobs:

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017

Journeyman

The Nine

The_Nine_intro.jpg

Daybreak

Day_Break_title.jpg

Day break is actually really good, and it is entirely a self contained story. If you have to, it's worth the $6-8 used for a dvd off amazon

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

Journeyman

The Nine

The_Nine_intro.jpg

Daybreak

Day_Break_title.jpg

Man...can't believe Day Break only has DVD. One of my favorite show ever. It's basically Groundhog Day but every loop managed to be more interesting than the rest. Also, the villain (the guy who play Mike in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul) is scary as fuck.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Journeyman

The Nine

The_Nine_intro.jpg

Daybreak

Day_Break_title.jpg

Daybreak and Journeyman were really good at the time. Daybreak has a great ending. I don't think Journeyman or Nine did. Nine was supposed to be another Lost and went nowhere.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I lost track on Stumptown's Live TV showings, it's been getting weird lead ins or constantly going on break.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh... that doesn't bode well for One Day At A Time.
Not yet apparently!
deadline.com

Pop Pulls the Plug On ‘Florida Girls’, ‘Best Intentions’ & ‘Flack’, Raising Questions About Net’s Scripted Future

The sudden cancellation of Florida Girls, Best Intentions and Flack are raising questions about Pop's scripted future.
With Pop flagship Schitt's Creek nearing its series finale, that leaves only one original scripted series on the network, Season 4 of One Day at a Time, which Pop rescued after its cancellation by Netflix. There had been chatter that the praised reimagining of Norman Lear's classic may move to new Pop sibling TV Land, but the multi-camera comedy will stay put on Pop for the upcoming season, which will premiere March 24.

Pop's sweeping downsizing in personnel and programming amidst ViacomCBS-wide post-merger cost-cutting raises questions about the network's future within the new ViacomCBS ecosystem. Last month, Pop, the lone basic cable network owned by CBS Corp. pre-merger, was folded into the ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Brands Group, run by Chris McCarthy.

The sudden demise of Florida Girls, Flack and Best Intentions, first reported by Variety, so late in the game is creating a logistical nightmare for their studios and distributors as they scramble to find new homes for their shows. For now, Florida Girls, which has recently started production, is continuing filming Season 2, I hear.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Schitt's Creek is truly a CBC show that Pop partnered with for US distribution. It's so strange for me personally to see people refer to it more commonly alongside the US channel.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
HBO Max worries me because of how poor HBO treats international markets.

To get HBO shows in NL you have to subscribe to a specific ISP. I believe for Germany, Italy, UK, etc. it's exclusive to Sky. I don't think this service can ever make it to Europe, period.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017

To get HBO shows in NL you have to subscribe to a specific ISP. I believe for Germany, Italy, UK, etc. it's exclusive to Sky. I don't think this service can ever make it to Europe, period.
HBO has a streaming service in Portugal. They don't just have HBO shows, things like Friends, the DC Universe shows (outside of Titans) and a few Hulu originals are on it.
It must be the same thing for other European countries.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
HBO has a streaming service in Portugal. They don't just have HBO shows, things like Friends, the DC Universe shows (outside of Titans) and a few Hulu originals are on it.
It must be the same thing for other European countries.
No, just a handful. As said, in other countries they have their "partners" that will require expensive subs to their services so you can get the privilege of paying them extra for HBO. It's a bit of a shitshow.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019

Journeyman

The Nine

The_Nine_intro.jpg

Daybreak

Day_Break_title.jpg

You would not believe how disappointed I was to discover that the time-travel show called Journeyman was nothing to do with The Journeyman Project.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
You have some very excellent taste. Though Day Break will always be (affectionately) Groundhog Taye in my heart. And a double dose of Moon Bloodgood!
I saw Journeyman and Day Break, I loved them both. They were really cool and fun to watch.

You should also watch New Amsterdam, not the New Amsterdam from 2018, but the New Amsterdam from 2008:

Then after that, go watch Forever, it's like the previous show, but with characters that swapped jobs:
Day break is actually really good, and it is entirely a self contained story. If you have to, it's worth the $6-8 used for a dvd off amazon
Man...can't believe Day Break only has DVD. One of my favorite show ever. It's basically Groundhog Day but every loop managed to be more interesting than the rest. Also, the villain (the guy who play Mike in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul) is scary as fuck.
Daybreak and Journeyman were really good at the time. Daybreak has a great ending. I don't think Journeyman or Nine did. Nine was supposed to be another Lost and went nowhere.

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts on, and memories of, these series. I remember the pilots for Day Break and Journeyman didn't really grab me, did the shows become significantly better as they went on? I'm guessing so because so many network shows I've enjoyed started off with middling pilots.

Does journeyman have any kind of ending or just a cancellation?

Also, any ideas where I might find The Nine? It appears it was released on DVD and then re-released but Google, eBay and Amazon only seem to want to sell me The Nine Lives of Chloe King. Adding Scott Wolf as a search term just brought me to listings for signed headshots.

And Jason, same question about pilots, I'm pretty sure we watched both the 2008 New Amsterdam pilot and the Forever pilot and couldn't get into either, did those pick up a lot thereafter? I remember the Forever pilot in particular felt slow.

Also, I want to give you fellow genre TV fans a few off-the-radar recommendations from the last decade and a half...

Hostages was a CBS show from maybe 6 or so years ago, really cool premise as a family is kept hostage in their home throughout the whole series. They have to try to outwit their captors. They're being held hostage to force Toni Collette's character to both a surgery on a political figure. It's just a legit good hostage story with plenty of suspense, surprising interactions between the criminals and hostages, plenty of Stockholm syndrome, and great performances from Collette and Dylan McDermott. I think it ended semi-satisfyingly.

Kidnapped was another hostage type story, from 2006, but completely different in tone and style, and had considerably more suspense to it. A wealthy family's son is kidnapped. The parents are played by Timothy Hutton and Dana Delaney, the hostage expert is Jeremy Sisto, and Mykelti Williamson and Delroy Lindo have significant roles, so the cast is pretty stacked. This one is more of a fun cross-country adventure romp. Kept us on the edge of our seats throughout, and at the time it was cancelled NBC put a couple episodes up on their website, probably one of the first times this happened, and eventually the DVD collection came out and provided resolution to the story.

Six Degrees was a pretty cool ensemble show a la something like Parenthood a million little things, but characters had more tertiary connections between them so it afforded the show opportunity to tell lots of different kinds of stories in each episode. Hope Davis, Campbell Scott and Erika Christensen were some of the standouts but the whole cast was great. That was another cancelled 2006 show, so it was satisfying to finally watch the rest of the series a few years later.

Allegiance, which aired on ABC, drew a lot of comparisons to The Americans, but was a pulpier show with more of an adventure/spy thriller element to it. Hope Davis played part of a husband and wife spy team and their son is a counterintelligence agent unaware of his parents' motives. The parents assimilated a bit too well to America and become torn between their original mission and their family. It was surprisingly not cheesy for the premise, great performances and the story felt just as much character-driven as plot-driven. Just a super solid, compelling show that kept us glued to the screen.

I'd also love more recommendations of underappreciated network TV shows from the past couple decades, especially those cancelled within a couple seasons.

You would not believe how disappointed I was to discover that the time-travel show called Journeyman was nothing to do with The Journeyman Project.

Interesting, this is the first I've heard of that game. Sounds like it had an interesting plot, too. The story of the studio, Presto, was interesting to peruse on Wiki also. Hope the devs all landed on their feet when the studio closed.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I just hope the new season is written with the assumption it won't get another season.

Same, buuut...
Not yet apparently!
deadline.com

Pop Pulls the Plug On ‘Florida Girls’, ‘Best Intentions’ & ‘Flack’, Raising Questions About Net’s Scripted Future

The sudden cancellation of Florida Girls, Best Intentions and Flack are raising questions about Pop's scripted future.
That would be very interesting! TV Land seems like a great fit for the show. Plus, Viacom moves so many of their shows around anyway, it's not like it'd be anything new. Hell, they're moving RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars from Logo to Showtime of all places after airing the main series on VH1 for a few seasons. And that's one of their most popular shows.

Just airing reruns of ODAAT from seasons 1-4 on TV Land would benefit the show immensely.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

HBO has been better in Latin America, you can subscribe to it without a cable subscription and episodes come out at the same time as in the US, thanks to the easier timezone difference.

They have also been distributing lots of Showtime shows (Ray Donovan and Mad Men) over the years. Right now, they've diversified towards DC shows too (Swamp Thing is currently airing as a "limited series" and Batwoman is coming in June).

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From one dystopian nightmare to another: Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann to team up for "The Last of Us" show on HBO.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘The Last of Us’ Series in the Works at HBO From ‘Chernobyl’ Creator Craig Mazin, Neil Druckmann (Exclusive)

Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series 'Chernobyl,' is reteaming with HBO to adapt 'The Last of Us,' the massive Sony PlayStation video game franchise.

Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is reteaming with HBO adapt The Last of Us, the massive Sony PlayStation video game franchise.

In a rare development in the world of video game adaptations, the writer and creative director of the game, Neil Druckmann, is also involved, and will work with Mazin to pen and executive produce what is intended to be a series.

Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival. The HBO series will cover the events of the original game, which was written by Druckmann, with the possibility of additional content based on the forthcoming game sequel, The Last of Us Part II, which will release on May 29, 2020.

Mazin, who is said to be an avid player of the game, stated, "Neil Druckmann is without question the finest storyteller working in the video game medium, and The Last of Us is his magnum opus. Getting a chance to adapt this breathtaking work of art has been a dream of mine for years, and I'm so honored to do it in partnership with Neil."

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From one dystopian nightmare to another: Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann to team up for "The Last of Us" show on HBO.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘The Last of Us’ Series in the Works at HBO From ‘Chernobyl’ Creator Craig Mazin, Neil Druckmann (Exclusive)

Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series 'Chernobyl,' is reteaming with HBO to adapt 'The Last of Us,' the massive Sony PlayStation video game franchise.
Whew. I'm all for this.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Matthew Ball feature: The End of Pay-TV

Adalian's description:
Former Amazon exec and current venture capitalist Matthew Ball is out with a new deep-dive essay on the state of media. Provocatively titled "The End of Pay TV," it makes the case that cord-cutting is about to dramatically accelerate as the big conglomerates start cutting back on original programming and reduce new spending on linear networks in order to push consumers to subscribe to services such as HBO Max, Peacock, and Hulu. Instead of slow, steady declines, Ball argues "the floor will suddenly fall out" on traditional pay cable — and perhaps soon.

To be clear, he's not predicting cable TV will suddenly disappear from the planet. But Ball thinks that by the end of next year or early 2022, "Consumers will wake up and see that Pay TV isn't just a zombie business and delivery model, it's a zombie product — and one that is increasingly deprived of fresh meat. There's no model for this decline, but it certainly won't look like a simple acceleration of the past decade."

Status
Not open for further replies.