• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Big Brother is likely delayed or they'll fast track it.

Same with other reality fill ins before the Games.
Big Brother in Brazil is actually currently happening and they just yesterday told contestants what has been going on. It was probably the most surreal piece of television I have ever watched. Didn't help that the presenter just did a terrible job of being clear on what has been going on.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Big Brother Germany hasn't informed the candidates yet about how bad it has gotten.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A list of which shows were impacted and which had already finished production of their seasons was posted. Sadly they didn't make it a neat list to quickly copy/paste.

tvline.com

Coronavirus Interrupts TV: Which Seasons Will Be Shortened?

Since February, TVLine has thrown a lot of information at you about which series will (and won’t) be affected by the coronavirus pandemic. We’re now here to help by doing what we all must in a time of crisis: organize our asses off. In our case, that means compiling an exhaustively comprehensive...

Most of the shows that were supposed to have 20+ episodes were shut down with 1-2 episodes left to film while those with less were mostly finished.

Oct 25, 2017
A list of which shows were impacted and which had already finished production of their seasons was posted. Sadly they didn't make it a neat list to quickly copy/paste.

tvline.com

Since February, TVLine has thrown a lot of information at you about which series will (and won’t) be affected by the coronavirus pandemic. We’re now here to help by doing what we all must in a time of crisis: organize our asses off. In our case, that means compiling an exhaustively comprehensive...

Most of the shows that were supposed to have 20+ episodes were shut down with 1-2 episodes left to film while those with less were mostly finished.
Yes
9-1-1
Manifest

Are not impacted and done. Guess it rules out extra manifest episodes though.

Curious about the spring slate of shows

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

tvline.com

Had no idea how close to release some of those shows were filming. Supernatural I guess isn't ending >_>

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
So, for some reason, TV ratings are NOT up. Usually, there'd be a statement or something, but there's been nothing. If we get TV ratings later today, I'll still post it of course.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Remember what the last big strike did to the US TV landscape?
I was streaming shows way back then so I lived through it all and the TV breaks due to Covid-19 have already begun. The effect will be international this time so expects a hit on let´s say the anime industry as soon as next season, which is next month.

Big Brother eh, that an interesting angle to look at this.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Remember what the last big strike did to the US TV landscape?
I was streaming shows way back then so I lived through it all and the TV breaks due to Covid-19 have already begun. The effect will be international this time so expects a hit on let´s say the anime industry as soon as next season, which is next month.

Big Brother eh, that an interesting angle to look at this.
No worries. There is still a chance of a writers strike this year.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The next big Writers Strike was this close to happening last year Joni. It would be something if the entertainment industry jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire after the pandemic is solved... whenever that happens but Covid-19 is destined to starve out the writers, VAs, background actors and so on even more. Cinema itself will be fucked harder though, Bay Boys 3 released at the most optimal time of all time, but that´s another topic. (More Avatar delays too, good lord.)
The strike where nothing gets solved at the end, as Hollywood is shit like that, has to be off the table but all its fallout and a lack of meaningful resolution are already on. Gre8t stuff. Cue Canada on strike!

Amazon´s output is ok for what it is. The LotR "break" is destined to cost them a good penny but they´ll survive. Some of these TV and film production breaks will be REALLY costly. D+ is clearly one of the big winners of 2020 with how things went and it´s EU launch. The Mouse wins again.

Edit: The strike almost happened in 2017 to be precise, as I just checked, but the ground was shakey ever since.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Finally, here are Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Mar-16-MON.png

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Not so hot, but it's a weird time and there was the Democratic debate. I know I didn't watch until the next day.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next big Writers Strike was this close to happening last year Joni. It would be something if the entertainment industry jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire after the pandemic is solved... whenever that happens but Covid-19 is destined to starve out the writers, VAs, background actors and so on even more. Cinema itself will be fucked harder though, Bay Boys 3 released at the most optimal time of all time, but that´s another topic. (More Avatar delays too, good lord.)
The strike where nothing gets solved at the end, as Hollywood is shit like that, has to be off the table but all its fallout and a lack of meaningful resolution are already on. Gre8t stuff. Cue Canada on strike!

Amazon´s output is ok for what it is. The LotR "break" is destined to cost them a good penny but they´ll survive. Some of these TV and film production breaks will be REALLY costly. D+ is clearly one of the big winners of 2020 with how things went and it´s EU launch. The Mouse wins again.

Edit: The strike almost happened in 2017 to be precise, as I just checked, but the ground was shakey ever since.
D+ "Winning" is a bit overblown I think. They have virtually no original content compared to their competitors, and the COVID production delays are only going to more negatively effect that. Who knows when Winter Soldier and Falcon is even going to come out now, or Mandalorian Season 2. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire schedule shifted back a few months.

They are riding entirely on nostalgia right now rather than new content, and I'm not sure how long that will actually last for adult viewers.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The endless Disney DVDs in my library can NEVER stay still TDLink. D+ is fine as is (the service itself is ok-ish) with just the animated classics of yesterday due to kids watching them on a loop and the added Toon Disney stuff is old enough to be nostalgic on top. The Disney Park closures will hurt, as that is where the real money is made, but D+ is laughing all the way to the bank in 2020. It + Hulu will easily overtake Netflix and faster than people think. Mark my words. Disney rushing all the 2019 films to the cinemas was kinda smart too. Sigh. Not that I like the company but it got the world by the balls. Next step, another copyright quagmire to save Mickey after 2024. (They´ll just probably stretch his trademark status.) In summary: Nobody will unsubscribe from the House of Mouse. Line up for our anthem.
www.youtube.com

Full Metal Jacket - Mickey Mouse song

Ending of Stanley Kubrick´s Full Metal Jacket
Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me? M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.
Hey there. Hi there. Ho there. You're as welcome as can be. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

...we really are in a World of Shit.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of viewers too

S2 linear premiere - 2.1 million, 3 million for the night
S3 linear premiere - 901K, 1.7 million for the night

With the amount of money HBO is throwing at the show, they can't be happy with that result

I wonder what the correlation is, with the number of people who subbed mostly for Game of Thrones was. Lots of friends that watched GoT also checked out Westworld as they still had their sub running. Once GoT ended, I feel like lots of people just checked out of HBO entirely. S2 I feel like it was pretty divisive, but not sure if people hated it THAT much, or if they just dropped the sub due to no GoT.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Today I learned that Independent Film Channel is a thing that exists. Part of AMC. Aha. Let´s check them out. Brockmire with that Simpsons guy? Why not. We all have time now...

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WATCH SHERMAN'S SHOWCASE, YOU COWARDS. IT IS A GEM ON IFC AND IF YOU ALL LET IT DIE, MAY THE CANCELLATION CURSE HIT YOUR FAVORITE COURSE.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
So about D+:
variety.com

Disney Plus: Half of U.S. Homes With Kids Under 10 Have Already Subscribed, Data Shows

Research shows 50% of U.S. homes with kids under 10 subscribe to Disney Plus, a rare bright spot for Disney amid the coronavirus crisis.
Move over Netflix, especially if they double down on Hulu content and a bundle.

Netflix is the Voltron of streaming services, but that number makes sense that families with very young kids would flock to the service.

I plan to cancel my Disney+ service soon, especially with so much other content from other services.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of viewers too

S2 linear premiere - 2.1 million, 3 million for the night
S3 linear premiere - 901K, 1.7 million for the night

With the amount of money HBO is throwing at the show, they can't be happy with that result

What were the numbers for the first season? I haven't watched the second season (yet) but I heard that it wasn't well received so I imagine that that might have contributed to the low viewer numbers.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interesting article on what the landscape for television looks like with production stopped

According to multiple sources, some outlets are said to be mulling ways in which they can resume production and still adhere to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's current recommendation to avoid larger gatherings for the next eight weeks. Those include filming in shifts, with one reduced staff department completing its work, and the next group coming in afterward. Such a plan has been discussed for American Idol, which, at press time, had its live show episodes around the corner.

In the interim, some networks are already toying with the idea of adopting a cable or streaming model, whereby they pick up high-profile pilots straight to series based on the collective strength of the script, auspices and cast. Another option being discussed is ordering showrunners to open virtual rooms in an effort to get ahead on scripts and, in success, be able to begin production as soon as it's considered safe.

Multiple insiders say that should production resume mid-May, Premiere Week — starting Sept. 21 — would likely still happen, though new shows could be delayed. And if production is delayed beyond May? "January may become the new September if we lose three months of production," says one veteran exec. Should that happen, that would likely mean fewer new series and a reduction in the number of episodes ordered.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

TV Has Mostly Stopped Production. What Happens Next?

What will come of the traditional TV season amid the coronavirus pandemic?

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It means digital TV could ursurp things depending on how quick they make it, it doesn't help we may have another strike by the end of the year

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting article on what the landscape for television looks like with production stopped

Yeah, this paragraph:

As for what will line the schedule, many suggest bubble shows now have a sizable advantage. After all, these are programs that networks have already spent millions to license and market, and, almost as important, see as a known quantity. "Shows you'd have said 'no' to in May are now looking good because it's stability in a time of change," says one source. Another option that, per sources, could be considered is having unscripted programs previously earmarked for summer held for fall.

rings true. I can see a lot of bubble series scoring renewals now.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine that a lot of the smaller Netflix shows are seeing this as a godsend, since there'll be a content drought where Netflix can actually promote them instead of getting buried.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They could just film shows like Arrested Development S4, with a green screen and cut and paste cast members together who aren't really there.

Oct 25, 2017

shifts would be interesting...though i assume it means scenes using any type of crowdd would be eliminated, reduced, or use staff on hand?

also are we using the CDC of less than 50 people, 25, or Mr. Trumps 10 people?

Status
Not open for further replies.