• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
What were the numbers for the first season? I haven't watched the second season (yet) but I heard that it wasn't well received so I imagine that that might have contributed to the low viewer numbers.

S1 linear premiere - 2.0 million, 3.3 million for the night, 13.2 million per episode average across the whole season
S2 linear premiere - 2.1 million, 3 million for the night, 9.2 million per episode average across the whole season
S3 linear premiere - 901K, 1.7 million for the night

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What We Do In The Shadows is another show that would easily have made my top 10 last year, had I watched it then. Oh well :(

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Motherland was... okay. The twist at the end was pretty good, but there wasn't enough world building to my liking. Plus the leads could use some work.

If there's enough interest for it, I'll make a thread for it.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
S1 linear premiere - 2.0 million, 3.3 million for the night, 13.2 million per episode average across the whole season
S2 linear premiere - 2.1 million, 3 million for the night, 9.2 million per episode average across the whole season
S3 linear premiere - 901K, 1.7 million for the night

Yeah, it seems the second season hurt a lot. It will be interesting how the season goes, I still have to catch up.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Mar-18-WED.png

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if Stumptown is dead but I guess with the presumed months long freeze on production, it might actually have a chance.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Did Whose Line? ever get renewed for a 16th season? I know that May is usually the big renewal time (oh boy will it be fun this year >_>), but being a summer show, surprised they never did renew it (prior to everything going on). Could use some laughs :x

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Did Whose Line? ever get renewed for a 16th season? I know that May is usually the big renewal time (oh boy will it be fun this year >_>), but being a summer show, surprised they never did renew it (prior to everything going on). Could use some laughs :x
They never said anything about filming a new season either. Crap.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh Community coming to my region's Netflix, I'm totally down for a rewatch on that, havent watched in ages.

Not sure if all seasons (I say that because for example Vikings we only got seasons 1-3), it just says "seasons coming April 1st"

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Which are the best seasons of The Walking Dead? And is it worth going through?

I'm only on Season 2 but I'm thinking of binging it during social distancing.

Oct 25, 2017
Started watching that witch show Motherland, kinda interesting but would have been much more interesting if
magic was secret and the witches secretly worked with the military against regular military targets before the magical enemies and magic terrorists show up later into the show.

1 and 2 were the best, its downhill from there.
still watching the series I certainly miss villains like The Governor (S3)

Not really worth it after 1&2 imo.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Seasons 4, 5, and 9 are considered the strongest by most critics and fans. 2, 7, and 8 are the lowest points.

Is it worth going through? Some would say yes and some would say no. If you're still in S2, then it's only uphill from here. Season 3 has one really dumb/frustrating storyline involving one of the main survivors, but the primary storyline involving Rick's group was universally considered to be the best thing the show had done up to that point. S4 and S5 are the show at its peak, S6 is very solid but a step down from the previous two and has some frustrating cliffhangers (that become irrelevant when binging), S7 and S8 are a slog, and S9 features a creative resurgence with a new showrunner.

It's up to you, but if you like what you've seen of the show so far then I think you should go for it!

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Episode 1 and 2 of Season 1 are good, Everything else is either mediocre or downright godawful.

Don't watch this show, really. If you want that zombie fix in this setting, read the comic instead.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The best part of The Walking Dead is the pilot. It never gets better than that.

I barely ever drop shows, but even I couldn't stomach TWD after like five years.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I barely ever drop shows, but even I couldn't stomach TWD after like five years.
^^^This. It takes so much to make me bail on something that I've already watched multiple seasons of but I couldn't take any more of this show after about the same length of time.

It literally has no redeeming value and I derived no pleasure from any of it. It's not even fun to hate-watch.

Last edited:

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I binge a season of TWD and FTWD every couple years. It's easy to turn your brain off and melt away 12-14 hours.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like once that HBO Last of Us series comes out, as long as it just follows the plot of the game, it is going to handily wipe the floor with Walking Dead and people will be able to clearly tell the difference in quality.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I feel like once that HBO Last of Us series comes out, as long as it just follows the plot of the game, it is going to handily wipe the floor with Walking Dead and people will be able to clearly tell the difference in quality.
Yeah it'll be much better if HBO pumps money into it. The Walking Dead was forced to drag episodes/sets out for AMC cheapness. As long as The Last of Us doesn't have to stop in at a prison for two seasons it should be fine.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

I bailed after the S2 premiere. The writing was aggressively dumb, and never in a fun way.

I'm always baffled when I see the ads for it on AMC because it's also such a drab, bland, ugly show. It's almost impressive how unappealing it looks.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
So Motherland has a ton of problems. But I kinda love it anyway?

I think right now the concept is engaging enough probably carry the show 3 - 4 episodes before the writing and acting need to shape up.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
So Motherland has a ton of problems. But I kinda love it anyway?

I think right now the concept is engaging enough probably carry the show 3 - 4 episodes before the writing and acting need to shape up.

I liked the concept of the voice being a powerful tool for witches and the different powers they have, but agree that some of the dialogue wasn't great and I hope the character types get better as the season goes on. I plan to keep watching for now.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the concept of the voice being a powerful tool for witches and the different powers they have, but agree that some of the dialogue wasn't great and I hope the character types get better as the season goes on. I plan to keep watching for now.

I just finished watching it, so this is as good a place as any.

What I liked:

- The 'twist'. More for the aesthetics than anything else. Both actresses involved are great.
- The cast is surprisingly likeable. This is important because some of the acting is a bit weak.
- As mentioned by TheNatureBoy , the magic is interesting. Particularly the vocal element. The writers are surprisingly consistent with this.
- Many the heart-to-heart intimate moments between characters are very well done.
- The VFX are really nice and varied. Watching witches whistle tornadoes into existence is really cool.

What I disliked:

- The editing. It is trash.
- The pacing. Also trash. Combined with the above and large chunks the pilot felt very disorienting.
- The sepia filter is an eyesore.
- The worldbuilding. Not enough time is spent on it. There are SO MANY questions not touched upon. My biggest: is there a conventional military?
- Not enough time is spent pre-training. I feel like the time we get to spend with these characters before the school is much too short. So short in fact that I rather they'd not bothered at all.
- The antagonists are vile, but feel too much like a non-entity. Also, I find it hard to believe that there is only one enemy faction. Makes the world feel too small.
- Too much of the expected military forms, and rituals seem to be absent. It is bit jarring. Especially the case if there is not a conventional military.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

luca

Oct 25, 2017
1 and 2 were the best, its downhill from there.
still watching the series I certainly miss villains like The Governor (S3)

Not really worth it after 1&2 imo.
Don't do this to yourself, not even in these dire times.
Seasons 4, 5, and 9 are considered the strongest by most critics and fans. 2, 7, and 8 are the lowest points.

Is it worth going through? Some would say yes and some would say no. If you're still in S2, then it's only uphill from here. Season 3 has one really dumb/frustrating storyline involving one of the main survivors, but the primary storyline involving Rick's group was universally considered to be the best thing the show had done up to that point. S4 and S5 are the show at its peak, S6 is very solid but a step down from the previous two and has some frustrating cliffhangers (that become irrelevant when binging), S7 and S8 are a slog, and S9 features a creative resurgence with a new showrunner.

It's up to you, but if you like what you've seen of the show so far then I think you should go for it!
Episode 1 and 2 of Season 1 are good, Everything else is either mediocre or downright godawful.

Don't watch this show, really. If you want that zombie fix in this setting, read the comic instead.

Pilot and the episode in the CDC headquarters were the best of the series and never topped it imo.
^^^This. It takes so much to make me bail on something that I've already watched multiple seasons of but I couldn't take any more of this show after about the same length of time.

It literally has no redeeming value and I derived no pleasure from any of it. It's not even fun to hate-watch.
I bailed after the S2 premiere. The writing was aggressively dumb, and never in a fun way.

I'm always baffled when I see the ads for it on AMC because it's also such a drab, bland, ugly show. It's almost impressive how unappealing it looks.
Yeah okay, I'm staying away from the show. At least I've seen the first season.

Oct 25, 2017
The FS1 broadcast of the Nascar iRacing was pretty cool, now if only some of the drivers could get better and we go straight green flag laps (really the final 15 laps was incredible, no cautions, and exciting). I hope they do it again.

--

It is impressive seeing more and more local newscasters broadcasting from their kitchens, studies, or garages, I'm impressed some were able to come up with excellent studio quality sound in their garages and such.

Also hearing editors and producers working from home too and still delivering quality stories on 60minutes is intriguing.

I wonder if when this is over, less people will really need to be in offices/on location for this industry.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
ew.com

Exclusive: 'She-Ra' showrunner Noelle Stevenson reveals season 5 will be its last

Exclusive: <em>She-Ra</em> showrunner Noelle Stevenson reveals season 5 will be its last
It's been known since before the series premiered that it'd only be 52 episodes so that's not a suprise.

End of season five is where I tapped out too IIRC.

Oct 25, 2017
looks like ad agencies are already making new ads using archive footage

(all the major car companies with their Covid-19 deals or messages of empathy)

had been wondering what ads would do since most non news broadcasting was shuttered.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix reveals slate of 7 new South Korean shows:
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Netflix Unveils South Korean Slate of Seven Series, One Film

Netflix continues to go big on South Korean content. The streamer on Monday unveiled a slate of eight upcoming Korean series spanning reality, crime, sci-fi, romance, drama and more.
Rugal
Summary: Kang Gi-beom, once a promising police detective in the violent crimes unit, is suspected of murdering his own wife. His eyes are slashed with a razor after he witnesses her murder at the hands of the terrorist group ARGOS. Just when he thinks he has lost everything, he is approached by Choi Geun-cheol, the chief executive director of Rugal, a special organization dedicated to the sole purpose of eradicating ARGOS. Choi requests that Gi-beom receive an artificial eye transplant and join Rugal. After miraculously surviving the risky transplant operation, Gi-beom is born again as a human weapon. He begins to take revenge on ARGOS for everything they have done to him.

Cast: Choi Jin-hyuk, Park Sung-woong
Premiere date: March 28 in Korea/Asia Pacific/All English-speaking countries/Latin America; May 24 in Japan/rest of the world

Extracurricular
Summary: The story of high school students who have chosen a life of crime — and extreme risk — to earn money. Oh Jisoo ends up committing a serious crime because of his desire to apply for his college tuition on his own, whatever the means. Seo Minhee gets caught up in Jisoo's crime, while Jisoo's schoolmate Bae Gyuri also becomes involved in the same crime. Their bad choices come with irreversible consequences. There is no turning back. A life of crime and violence awaits them.

Cast: Kim Dong-hee, Jung Da-bin, Park Joo-hyun
Premiere date: April 29

The King: Eternal Monarch
Summary: A romantic fantasy drama that takes the genre to a whole new level. The series revolves around the relationships of people from two parallel universes. King Lee Gon seeks to seal the gateway between dimensions, while Jung Tae-eul, a police inspector, simply wants to protect other's lives and their loves. The King: Eternal Monarch is written by Kim Eun-suk (Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, Mr. Sunshine, Descendants of the Sun), and directed by Baek Sang-hoon (Secret, Who Are You: School 2015 and Descendants of the Sun) and Jeong Jee-hyun (Search: WWW).
Cast: Lee Min-ho, Kim Go-eun, Woo Do-hwan, Kim Kyung-nam, Jung Eun-chae
Premiere date: April 2020

It's Okay to Not Be Okay
Summary: An unusual romance between two people who end up healing each other's emotional and psychological wounds. Moon Gang-tae, played by Kim Soo-hyun (My Love From the Star, The Moon Embracing the Sun), is a caretaker working at a psychiatric ward who does not even bother to believe in love. He seems to be carrying all the weight and pain in life, and devotes himself only to looking after his disabled older brother. Go Moon-young, played by Seo Ye-ji (Save Me, Lawless Lawyer), is a children's book writer who is clueless about love. She is popular among all age groups, yet very antisocial and indifferent to others.
Cast: Kim Soo-hyun, Seo Ye-ji
Premiere date: June 2020

Twogether
Summary: Two top celebrities from Seoul and Taipei go on a trip to several cities in Asia to meet their fans and become friends.
Cast: Lee Seung-gi, Jasper Liu
Premiere date: TBC (in production)

The School Nurse Files
Summary: A newly appointed high school nurse discovers secrets and mysteries with her supernatural abilities for chasing ghosts.
Cast: Jung Yu-mi, Nam Joo-hyuk

Sweet Home
Summary: Hyun-soo, a reclusive high school student, moves into an old apartment complex called Green Home after the tragic death of his entire family. Feeling unable to make a living on his own, he realizes the residents at Green Home, including himself, are trapped and surrounded by monsters in various forms of distorted human desires, which are about to sweep away mankind.
Cast: Song Kang, Lee Jin-wook, Lee Si-young
"Extracurricular" sounds interesting.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pilot Season 2020: Networks Order Backup Scripts, May Move Toward Streaming Model Amid Coronavirus Crisis
The ongoing coronavirus health crisis is giving broadcast pilot season a jolt that might be felt long after the global pandemic is over.

Following the unprecedented Hollywood shutdown over the COVID-19 outbreak, which left all but one broadcast pilot in limbo, I hear the networks have ordered at least one backup script each for almost all of their projects. Writing is one of very few things that can be done during the shutdown — individually or via virtual writers rooms — and the networks are using that to move the development process further. I hear ABC, NBC, Fox and the CW have ordered a second script for all their drama and comedy pilots, with ABC picking up more than one script on some projects. I hear CBS has commissioned a second script for most of its pilots.

The broadcast networks have not yet unveiled what the next step in the process would be, but I hear some still are hoping to make their crops of pilots. They are using the down time to have a second episode written so the pilots that did get picked up to series hit the ground running.

Other sources suggest that the projects with the strongest pilot and backup scripts might get permission to open a writers room and start working on follow-up scripts to be considered for a straight-to-series order.

That would bring broadcast TV in line with the streaming development model — something the networks had been flirting with, but the pull of the traditional pilot cycle had been too hard to break from.

If the trial-by-necessity is successful, we could see the broadcast development model shift away from pilots toward straight-to-series orders, especially for dramas, which are more expensive to pilot, and where having a strong plot and mythology is key vs. comedy pilots, where cast chemistry — something that pilots are great tests for — is paramount.

I hear the backup script strategy also is being used by cable and streaming networks that employ a pilot model for their pilots that had been shut down by the coronavirus crisis.
There is a possibility that some broadcast pilots won't be made. I hear that complex conversations with studios, producers and unions are underway as to who will be paid if a pilot that had been greenlighted, staffed and cast is not produced. If the current health emergency goes on for more than eight weeks, networks and studios could enforce force majeure provisions to not honor deals, but there are important talent relationships involved in many of the projects, so amicable resolution may be a more prudent way out of a difficult situation.
As Deadline reported last week, out of about 55 broadcast pilots (excluding straight-to-series orders), only one has been completed: the CBS/WBTV multi-camera comedy B Positive, from Chuck Lorre and Marco Pennette. The project starring Thomas Middleditch and Annaleigh Ashford already had been garnering strong early buzz.

A handful of other pilots have filmed partial pilots, some of them close to completion: the CW/WBTV's Kung Fu; a couple of NBC pilots, including Ordinary Joe starring James Wolk; Fox/Lionsgate comedy This Country, based on the British format; and the CW/WBTV drama The Lost Boys, a reimagining of the cult classic movie.

Additionally, a number of projects — including Fox's Call Me Kat, ABC's The Big Sky, NBC's LA Mayor and Young Rock and the CW's Superman & Lois and Walker — have straight-to-series orders and have writers rooms going. Most of them were planning to film a pilot episode during pilot season, take a break to assess it before starting series production. They will now go straight to series production.
TL;DR: COVID means more scripts which could mean more shows going to straight-to-series and skipping pilot season. Alternately, some pick-ups could be outright cancelled if things get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.