• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Mar-23-MON.png

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Once again, Idol and Supernatural tick tock to their last episodes before they just pause

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
im surprised (maybe I missed it) nobody posted that Netflix got the rights to all seasons of Community worldwide (coming April 1st)

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

AMC Orders ‘National Anthem’ Musical Anthology Series From Scott Z. Burns, Mark Johnson, T Bone Burnett & Craig Finn

AMC has ordered eight episodes of National Anthem, a musical dramedy anthology series from writer/director Scott Z. Burns (The Report, Contagion), and Oscar- and Emmy-winner Mark Johnson.

AMC has greenlighted National Anthem, an eight-episode musical dramedy anthology series from writer/director Scott Z. Burns (The Report, Contagion), and Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul executive producer Mark Johnson. Oscar and Grammy winning musician T Bone Burnett (Crazy Heart) is attached as the series' music producer with words and music by The Hold Steady frontman Craig Finn.

Written by Burns, National Anthem is the tragically funny story of a middle class midwestern family tumbling down the ladder of American society; periodically bursting into song as they struggle to catch themselves.

"National Anthem is a family drama with deep resonant things to say about the fragility of our country, our world and our planet. Plus…it's a musical! In Scott's genius hands this results in a hugely original, intense, funny and moving piece of writing," said Sarah Barnett, president of AMC Networks' Entertainment Group and AMC Studios. "We're so happy to work with Scott as he brings this unique story to life and absolutely delighted to continue our creative partnership with Mark, who we have been so lucky to work with on some of the most critically acclaimed series over the last decade."

This sounds really interesting~

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here watched Breeders? I'm giving it a go but I'm 24 minutes into the double premiere and its not working for me so far. Can I expect more from it going forward?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Solar Opposites (from Justin Roiland, one of the co-creators of Rick and Morty) trailer:

Yeah it looks like it's from one of the creators of Rick and Morty.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here watched Breeders? I'm giving it a go but I'm 24 minutes into the double premiere and its not working for me so far. Can I expect more from it going forward?

I am! It's fine overall, but the show that it's aping - Catastrophe - is significantly better. The first episode is easily the worst, and it does improve, but it's still pretty inessential at the moment. The most recent episode has a fairly surprising twist that shakes things up a bit though, so we'll how the rest of the season develops.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I am! It's fine overall, but the show that it's aping - Catastrophe - is significantly better. The first episode is easily the worst, and it does improve, but it's still pretty inessential at the moment. The most recent episode has a fairly surprising twist that shakes things up a bit though, so we'll how the rest of the season develops.
I'll agree that its fine. I didn't have it set on my DVR so I missed the latest and plan to catch a repeat. You are correct that the first episode is the worst. Everything after was so much better. I'm glad I let it sit and play while I did work today and also that it was a double episode so I could see more. Man, that was rough. Started off on the wrong foot. Looking forward to checking out that twist when I see the latest episode and the rest of the season :)

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree that its fine. I didn't have it set on my DVR so I missed the latest and plan to catch a repeat. You are correct that the first episode is the worst. Everything after was so much better. I'm glad I let it sit and play while I did work today and also that it was a double episode so I could see more. Man, that was rough. Started off on the wrong foot. Looking forward to checking out that twist when I see the latest episode and the rest of the season :)

Yeah, the first episode seemed like little more than an exercise in edginess by having Martin Freeman scream "FUCK" at his kids for 30 solid minutes.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The people working at Stumptown better hope it gets renewed because that's a huge cliffhanger to leave it on.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
You might think that there's nothing to talk about in the industry given the fact that everything has ground to a halt owing to the Coronavirus....but you'd be wrong. Everyone is now obsessing about Quibi with discussions ranging from 'this is be a total disaster that won't last the year' all the way to 'It might do okay I suppose'.

Have a look at the Quibi official Youtube page. The advert featuring Chrissy Teigen has over FOUR MILLION views. Wow. Good for them. But scroll up a little and you'll see that the official trailer for Chrissy's Quibi 'show' was uploaded roughly 24 hours ago and (at time of posting) has less than ONE THOUSAND views. More worryingly it has barely any engagements with just TWELVE thumbs up and SEVEN thumbs down.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Now I know that marketing is all over the place and Teigen herself has, I'm assuming, plastered this all over her Insta account but this kind of weak engagement on YouTube isn't just surprising, it's startling.

Quibi's official Twitter account has just over 25, 000 followers... The Twitter account for TruTV has over 200k. That might seem a little apples to oranges but when you're about to launch a subscription platform with stars like Chrissy Teigen and you can't get any more traction on social media (their Insta account has 76k follower at time of posting) than a lower tier, basic cable channel then you have to think that there's blood in the water for Quibi and their investors.

Quibi (@Quibi) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Quibi (@Quibi). New this week: #KirbyJenner Support: @quibicares

Given that they are offering 90 day free trials they are obviously worried by the numbers that they are seeing internally about the interest in the platform from consumers. Personally I think that QuiBi is far too expensive for what it is. If they were to offer this for $2 or £3 with ads I think they could get a lot of traction. But a low end tier of $5 with ads (a price point that even Apple has been really struggling with I'm told) is simply too expensive.

I suppose there is a chance that QuiBi finds an audience, I actually hope that it does. Another platform making content is another potentially deep pocketed, media employer for me, my friends and the industry to pitch but I'm really struggling to see where this fits into the current mosaic of streaming options moving forward.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they are going to handle the season story arcs for these (CW) shows that are not completed? I hope we just don't get truncated seasons and then a new story starts up next season (whenever that may be).

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have seen
I wonder how they are going to handle the season story arcs for these (CW) shows that are not completed? I hope we just don't get truncated seasons and then a new story starts up next season (whenever that may be).

I feel like most of the final episodes filmed will end on pretty large cliffhangers because they are leading into the final 2-3 episodes of the season

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen

I feel like most of the final episodes filmed will end on pretty large cliffhangers because they are leading into the final 2-3 episodes of the season

Posssibly, but maybe not. What I mean, the last episode could just be an episodic one and not serialized (cliffhanger). But either way it won't be the intended completed story arc of the season. I know they won't with Supergirl in Melissa Benoist being pregnant, but it will be interesting if they will try to complete the seasons later on, even at the expense of starting next season later.

Of course it's all conjecture and not priority right now, just musing what might happen when this all settles down.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
One of the CW's shows (Legacies S2) has been cut short and ends tonight because of the epidemic. The lead writer have said the episode works as an accidental cliffhanger, and the episodes they had planned for S2 will be moved to S3 where some of the storylines will continue.

[edit]
Oh, Variety just published an article saying the shows will return to production later in the year to finish the seasons, Legacies included:

variety.com

‘Supernatural,’ ‘The Flash,’ and ‘Legacies’ Season Endings Pushed Due to Coronavirus

All three CW series were forced to shutdown production due to coronavirus, and their season endings have now been pushed to later in 2020.

Last edited:

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
One of the CW's shows (Legacies S2) has been cut short and ends tonight because of the epidemic. The lead writer have said the episode works as an accidental cliffhanger, and the episodes they had planned for S2 will be moved to S3 where some of the storylines will continue.

[edit]
Oh, Variety just published an article saying the shows will return to production later in the year to finish the seasons, Legacies included:

variety.com

‘Supernatural,’ ‘The Flash,’ and ‘Legacies’ Season Endings Pushed Due to Coronavirus

All three CW series were forced to shutdown production due to coronavirus, and their season endings have now been pushed to later in 2020.

Ok, thanks.

Yes, I had figured Supernatural would be returning eventually at some some point to complete the season, as this the final one. I remember reading before that Supergirl was wrapping for the season, which makes sense with Melissa's pregnancy. I believe Legends of Tomorrow completed it's season so that is good.

The only other one would be Batwoman. I don't think that finished filming, either. Since that wasn't mentioned in the article I'm assuming that won't be returning until next season.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
False prophet will not rise again

deadline.com

‘Messiah’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

Netflix has opted not to reenew provocative drama Messiah for a second season. Series co-star Wil Traval revealed the news on Instagram Thursday. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots and Straight-to-Series orders See All “It’s a very sad day today,” he wrote. “I have just received news...

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Has anyone seen Sky (and soon Peacock's) new sitcom Hitmen? It might be one of the worst things I have seen in years. It's as if someone took HBO's Barry and reverse engineered it to make it awful. Just unbearable.

Also, is TruTV's Tacoma FC any good? This is another one of those shows that I remember reading about in Deadline when it was first announced and then completely forgetting about until I randomly see that it's in second season. It seems to be Super Troopers but for basic cable which could be okay....

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
You might think that there's nothing to talk about in the industry given the fact that everything has ground to a halt owing to the Coronavirus....but you'd be wrong. Everyone is now obsessing about Quibi with discussions ranging from 'this is be a total disaster that won't last the year' all the way to 'It might do okay I suppose'.

Have a look at the Quibi official Youtube page. The advert featuring Chrissy Teigen has over FOUR MILLION views. Wow. Good for them. But scroll up a little and you'll see that the official trailer for Chrissy's Quibi 'show' was uploaded roughly 24 hours ago and (at time of posting) has less than ONE THOUSAND views. More worryingly it has barely any engagements with just TWELVE thumbs up and SEVEN thumbs down.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Now I know that marketing is all over the place and Teigen herself has, I'm assuming, plastered this all over her Insta account but this kind of weak engagement on YouTube isn't just surprising, it's startling.

Quibi's official Twitter account has just over 25, 000 followers... The Twitter account for TruTV has over 200k. That might seem a little apples to oranges but when you're about to launch a subscription platform with stars like Chrissy Teigen and you can't get any more traction on social media (their Insta account has 76k follower at time of posting) than a lower tier, basic cable channel then you have to think that there's blood in the water for Quibi and their investors.

Quibi (@Quibi) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Quibi (@Quibi). New this week: #KirbyJenner Support: @quibicares

Given that they are offering 90 day free trials they are obviously worried by the numbers that they are seeing internally about the interest in the platform from consumers. Personally I think that QuiBi is far too expensive for what it is. If they were to offer this for $2 or £3 with ads I think they could get a lot of traction. But a low end tier of $5 with ads (a price point that even Apple has been really struggling with I'm told) is simply too expensive.

I suppose there is a chance that QuiBi finds an audience, I actually hope that it does. Another platform making content is another potentially deep pocketed, media employer for me, my friends and the industry to pitch but I'm really struggling to see where this fits into the current mosaic of streaming options moving forward.
There are a few Quibi things that I am begrudgingly interested in, but the fact that you can apparently only watch on your phone prevents me from even signing up for a free trial. I don't know how the hell they have raised so much money, I cannot see it succeeding.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

deadline.com

Netflix has opted not to reenew provocative drama Messiah for a second season. Series co-star Wil Traval revealed the news on Instagram Thursday. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots and Straight-to-Series orders See All “It’s a very sad day today,” he wrote. “I have just received news...
LOL didn't this get hyped up to shit?

I guess recent events have hit too close to home?

Also Quibi might actually survive this if that 60-90 trial is enough to hook people in.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The irony of Quibi now is that it will be launching at a time when people are quarantined and sheltered in place with a bunch of free time even though the whole concept of the app was that it is for people who are too busy for longer form content.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

deadline.com

This series was an absolute bore. Surprise it flops tho because Netflix were promoting this hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.