• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell does the rating has to do with it being an horror movie? There are plenty of great horror movies that are PG 13.
Everywhere it is mentioned as an horror movie, the director says it is a scary movie.
New Mutants throws much darker than the core X-Men movies, just look at the trailer and see all the horror iconography. Also, there are tons of PG-13 horror movies so I'm not sure what the age rating has to do with anything.
It not being a horror movie and having a PG-13 rating were two separate statements, one wasn't meant to correlate to the other so I'm sorry for giving that impression.

I'm aware of how the trailer is marketing it, but it still isn't a horror movie. And I am sure eventually it will end up on Disney+, even if they don't dump it there for an initial release.

I apologize for derailing this topic, which isn't about New Mutants or movies in general.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
More like "DePEE-YEWty" since it stunk so bad it got cancelled.
giphy.gif

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Fox's 'Deputy' Canceled After One Season
variety.com

Fox’s ‘Deputy’ Canceled After One Season

"Deputy," Fox's modern-day Western procedural starring Stephen Dorff, has been canceled after one season.
I kinda wanna use that one song but don't know how to work it. "I shot the sheriff but I did shoot the deputy"? Idk
More like "DePEE-YEWty" since it stunk so bad it got cancelled.
Lmao. It's cheesy and I love it

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That was a nice Hawaii Five 0 series finale, I though, teared up a bit at the end. Went by fast though.

Thought it was going to be 2 hours.

Also, I really wish Chin and Kono was there too, they have been there since the beginning.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Any word on if The Resident has been cancelled or renewed yet? Just started watching it and it's probably my favorite Hospital type show. At least since House.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii Five-0 finale was good. Was clearly meant to just be McGarrett's farewell with Cole stepping in and everyone else continuing on but then the whole show got the axe so it is a bit of a bummer. The show could have continued but definitely would have been a lesser version without Steve. Gonna miss that stupid show a lot.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on if The Resident has been cancelled or renewed yet? Just started watching it and it's probably my favorite Hospital type show. At least since House.
Absolutely love the show and I expect it will get a S4. If you haven't already I definitely recommend you go back and start from the beginning. Lots of satisfying use if continuity and long-term plotlines in the show. It's my fave since House too and I like it even better.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Are any of these FX shows worth watching:

Nip/Tuck (2003–10)
Rescue Me (2004–11)
Over There (2005)
Thief (2006)
Dirt (2007–08)
The Riches (2007–08)
Damages (2007–10)

I'm assuming Nip/Tuck turns to shit pretty quickly coz Murphy?

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I liked Rescue Me's first few seasons, but fell off pretty hard and kind of forgot all the details about it

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Nip/Tuck is so ridiculous, I love it.. although the last couple seasons are bad (and then really bad). There's a lot of ICONIC material along the way!

Rescue Me is worth watching one or two seasons of, then it's just repetition. I swear every season had the same basic plot.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of those FX shows are good in their first season or two and then meander or get outright bad.

I watched Nip, Rescue Me, Damages, and The Riches around their original air dates, and didn't finish a single show. But not to say I regret some of the seasons.

I think Damages might be the only actual good show on the list mainly due to the cast. Even when it got dull it had a great cast and guest stars like Ted Danson and Martin Short doing dramatic roles as antagonists. I also remember Zelijko Ivanek being really good in the early seasons.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so since Netflix got the rights to Community, I wonder if theres any chance they would actually pop out a movie just to fulfill the 6 seasons and a movie prophexy :p

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so since Netflix got the rights to Community, I wonder if theres any chance they would actually pop out a movie just to fulfill the 6 seasons and a movie prophexy :p
It all depends on how it performs on the service. I doubt it'll perform that well, but it is theoretically possible considering all parties involved (barring Chevy Chase) seem keen on the idea.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
RatskyWatsky Damages is one of my absolute faves. As others mentioned, there are a couple slower seasons (2 and 4 in particular) but there are amazing performances from an awesome array of quality actors, from famous to 'hey it's that guy or gal.' I found the first, third and fifth seasons had a great, tense pacing to them. The first season got the most buzz and the second was kinda overambitious and felt convoluted in places, and so critics kind fell off interest at that point. But season three was an exemplary return to form. The whole series tells a satisfying arc of story for all the main characters, and the individual cases focused on each season are densely plotted but also character-driven. I'm not gonna deny there are some quirks and missteps, but I'll gladly count it amongst my second tier of favorite TV shows. (First tier is probably just a few most favorite shows.)

If you take it as an at turns pulpy, engaging and thoughtful story, I think you will enjoy it a lot.

(And it will make for a polar opposite in basically every way from Nagi no Oitoma that you're currently watching!)

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
What are you guys doing for the launch of QuiBi tomorrow?

I had intended to throw a street party (I'm sure my house wouldn't have been big enough to contain everyone) but with the restrictions I might just open a bottle of wine and put up a mix of Xmas and Halloween decorations to mark the occasion.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I had intended to throw a street party (I'm sure my house wouldn't have been big enough to contain everyone) but with the restrictions I might just open a bottle of wine and put up a mix of Xmas and Halloween decorations to mark the occasion.
Celebrate by sitting down and watching some Netflix, like the rest of the world.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Celebrate by sitting down and watching some Netflix, like the rest of the world.

Who knew QuiBi would be undone by a deadly virus and a documentary series called Tiger King?

In related news I had no idea (until a few days ago) that QuiBi is also 'soft launching' in the UK tomorrow.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Busting out some canapes and crudites so everyone can savor some quick bites as we watch 10 minutes of Chrissy's Court.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
It all depends on how it performs on the service. I doubt it'll perform that well, but it is theoretically possible considering all parties involved (barring Chevy Chase) seem keen on the idea.

I was kidding anyway as I don't think it would happen, but that actually reminds me that I've been wanting to ask about that 6 seasons and a movie thing for awhile for the TV connoisseurs here, is that actually a tv trope? Because I cant think of any tv shows that got movies. I guess MASH?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knew QuiBi would be undone by a deadly virus and a documentary series called Tiger King?

In related news I had no idea (until a few days ago) that QuiBi is also 'soft launching' in the UK tomorrow.
I definitely already see a situation where they will be misplacing blame on the current Pandemic situation forcing people to stay in their houses, where they aren't commuting and thus wanting to watch TV on their phone instead of their TV or computer.

But I will always maintain that this service was destined to fail even under normal circumstances. It is going to crash and burn even harder now.

They -are- giving it away for free for 90 days, but I'm really curious how many even take that offer up. I don't think it substantially helped Apple launch their service (they certainly didn't brag about it), and that was traditional.

The fact that this is phone-only is going to crater it to a much greater extent than any other part of it.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Busting out some canapes and crudites so everyone can savor some quick bites as we watch 10 minutes of Chrissy's Court.

Ha.

Fancy a shrimp puff? It's on brand!

They -are- giving it away for free for 90 days, but I'm really curious how many even take that offer up. I don't think it substantially helped Apple launch their service (they certainly didn't brag about it), and that was traditional.

The fact that this is phone-only is going to crater it to a much greater extent than any other part of it.

Rumour is that the numbers of Apple Tv+ are absolutely pitiful. I can't help but feel that with that 90 day trial Quibi are hoping that people either simply forget to cancel their subscription (such a strategy hasn't hurt the gym business or World Of Warcraft back in the day) or they actually expect to slowly wear people down.

But if it takes three months for your service to 'take' with a potential customer then you're already in trouble.

have there been any video platform services to fold anyway?

A mix of services to fold and be 'scaled back' or sold off for parts in Crackle's case. Shout out to Yahoo for green lighting season 6 of Community only to throw in the towel less than a year (or was it less than that, 6 months) later.

Vessel. Seso. YouTube Premium/Red. Crackle. Yahoo Originals. go90.

There have to be more....

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rumour is that the numbers of Apple Tv+ are absolutely pitiful. I can't help but feel that with that 90 day trial Quibi are hoping that people either simply forget to cancel their subscription (such a strategy hasn't hurt the gym business or World Of Warcraft back in the day) or they actually expect to slowly wear people down.

But if it takes three months for your service to 'take' with a potential customer then you're already in trouble.
Completely agree. But to even get those people who forget to cancel, people have to sign up in the first place. I am not convinced very many people will -- even for free. The proposition isn't great when there's so much good TV to watch already on services everyone has like Amazon and Netflix. Plus I feel like awareness for Quibi outside of the industry and enthusiast circles is abysmal. Like, I doubt the average person even knows what it is, much less that it is launching tomorrow.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I watch Quibi on my TV? Or only on a mobile device?

Ewww, what the fuck is this?! Did they seriously frame all of their shows so that they can be watched in either landscape OR portrait mode?!!
Nke5H1n.png

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I was kidding anyway as I don't think it would happen, but that actually reminds me that I've been wanting to ask about that 6 seasons and a movie thing for awhile for the TV connoisseurs here, is that actually a tv trope? Because I cant think of any tv shows that got movies. I guess MASH?

A movie following 6 seasons, no. But it seems like there have been plenty of TV shows.

Mission Impossible
Get Smart

although both don't feature the TV cast

X-Files
The Simpsons
Bob's Burgers has a movie in the works
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
South Park
TWD has movies in the works
The Brady Bunch
Veronica Mars
Power Rangers
Downtown Abbey

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Theres a few shows I wanna watch on it.

They got people I care about to make content in it

I'm somewhat interested in seeing how top directing and acting talent does stories in <10 minute chunks. Genuinely. I think it could be cool, though it would've been more interesting for me personally if I still had a bus commute to watch it on.

ok I will make a thread, unless someone else was dying to.

Status
Not open for further replies.