• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I googled it, and it seems Tim Heidecker said it was done filming, but no one has picked it up. Which is boggling, considering the talent behind and in front of the camera.

Quibi picked it up and is breaking it into 12 fifteen minute episodes spread out across 2 seasons.

I actually don't know - you'd think one of these "hungry for content" streamers would have snagged it by now.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes! That's really scathing! It reminds me of the 90s and 2000s when Fox aired so many awful one season multi-cam sitcoms. I thought they were past that a long time ago.
Man, that era between 70s Show and I think Animation Domination, there's so many failed sitcoms. I think that's why they just gave up. I think that's why Modern Family just went to ABC.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone watched Avenue 5? Don't think I've seen it mentioned much or at all around here. I'm still invested after the first episode but curious what others are thinking and why

Has anyone watched Outmatched? Because given the reviews, I think we have a contender for worst broadcast show here.
It's on my DVR. I wonder if I should even bother to watch now. But I'm really curious about it at this point. I'll try to watch it tomorrow.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone watched Avenue 5? Don't think I've seen it mentioned much or at all around here. I'm still invested after the first episode but curious what others are thinking and why

It's on my DVR. I wonder if I should even bother to watch now. But I'm really curious about it at this point. I'll try to watch it tomorrow.
I thought the pilot was pretty abysmal. I might give it another one or two, but pretty disappointing.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

I watched it and it was... Eh... Okay I guess? I'm pretty sure half the side/supporting cast of Silicon Valley is on it.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the pilot was pretty abysmal. I might give it another one or two, but pretty disappointing.
I'm hoping to see more sci-fi or better comedy in the next couple of episodes or else I'm not sure about sticking with it. I don't mind the cast except I've never been that fond of Josh Gad and he almost makes me want to bail right away.

Thanks!

I watched it and it was... Eh... Okay I guess? I'm pretty sure half the side/supporting cast of Silicon Valley is on it.
The tall, lanky guy from The Office is the only one I know who has been on Silicon Valley. Haven't watched the series but its on the list because I've been told that its pretty good. I just thought of the cast as a very small Office reunion cause of two characters.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped halfway through the first episode after not liking it one bit. I know shows can get better but I have too many shows to watch. Harsh cuts need to be made.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Jan-24-FRI.png

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The tall, lanky guy from The Office is the only one I know who has been on Silicon Valley.
The only other person I can think of from Silicon Valley is Neil Casey, who had a recurring role and was in a preview for future Avenue 5 episodes.

A majority of the cast, however, is people Iannucci has worked with before. There are like 5 people who had guest spots and recurring roles in the Iannucci years of Veep, plus folks from his other movies and shows.

I thought the pilot was okay. It's clear he's trying something different, so I need to see how it develops, but I think the pilot demonstrates enough potential about how it's going to have a critique of larger society, and that could prove fun.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Outmatched really fucking sucks. Only things I can note caring about is seeing Tisha Campbell because I like her and catching some inconsistencies in some shots of the episode. Everything else was awful. Annoying kids, stupid parents, and feeling like a displaced comedy from a long time ago. Actually, it might just be a half-step away from being a Disney channel sitcom at this point.

I stopped halfway through the first episode after not liking it one bit. I know shows can get better but I have too many shows to watch. Harsh cuts need to be made.
I haven't got to the point where I drop a show during an episode yet but I probably will at some point. I'm only just recently getting to a point where I'm willing to cut something off after one or a few episodes. And you're right, there are far too many good things to watch right now so it makes sense to be harsher with things that aren't a decent quality fast enough.

I thought the pilot was okay. It's clear he's trying something different, so I need to see how it develops, but I think the pilot demonstrates enough potential about how it's going to have a critique of larger society, and that could prove fun.
I get what you mean. Yeah, there could be potential for these series. I'm looking forward to the next episode to see if it steps up from the pilot or not. I have some hopes for it.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the "Avenue 5" reviews have all agreed, the pilot is the worst among the episodes that were sent and that the show does find its footing eventually.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Am I the only one to have found the first episode of Avenue 5 really funny? I'm really not a fan and don't have any real knowledge of Star Trek/Star Wars, though. Maybe that's why?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one to have found the first episode of Avenue 5 really funny? I'm really not a fan, and don't have any real knowledge of Star Trek/Star Wars, though. Maybe that's why?
I thought it was pretty funny, just not [yet] as cutting as a lot of Iannucci stuff. My girlfriend pretty much loved it and wanted to rewatch it instantly.

I don't think it's really commenting on Star Trek or Star Wars at all. The only bit that's even close is the goofy bridge that's set up a little like in Trek, but that seems to be for the benefit of the tourists who would expect something like that.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I came close to quitting Avenue Five halfway because of the camera work in the control center, but the rest was fine enough.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Outmatched really fucking sucks. Only things I can note caring about is seeing Tisha Campbell because I like her and catching some inconsistencies in some shots of the episode. Everything else was awful. Annoying kids, stupid parents, and feeling like a displaced comedy from a long time ago. Actually, it might just be a half-step away from being a Disney channel sitcom at this point.
Wow that's scathing! Was it too take or was it trying to be edgy? Eh, it'll probably get cancelled anyway since Fox apparently can't find a show to pair Last Man Standing with.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's scathing! Was it too take or was it trying to be edgy? Eh, it'll probably get cancelled anyway since Fox apparently can't find a show to pair Last Man Standing with.
I'd say its more tame than anything. The only thing close to "edgy" is the dad vaping and referencing marijuana. Aside from that, everything else just felt really stupid and irritating. One of the rare times when I'm disappointed in the time investment I gave it with 20+ minutes. Yep, I would be shocked if this lasted longer than a season.

If anyone else else ends up watching this, I'd love to hear their impressions and see if they see it more favorably than I do.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad sign:

Nearly a year after CEO Chris Albrecht was forced out amid a power struggle with new owners Lionsgate, programming president Carmi Zlotnik is exiting as the premium cable network's roster of executives left form its previous regime dwindles.

Zlotnik, who presented Starz's originals Hightown, Outlander and Vida to reporters earlier this month at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, will step down from his position after a decade with Starz. He will remain on board through the end of the month and consult while helping Starz with the transition. Zlotnik does not yet have a new role lined up.
Zlotnik's departure leaves Starz without a senior creative executive. [Jeffrey] Hirsch — who previously served as Starz's chief operating officer — was tapped to serve as Albrecht's interim replacement nearly a year ago. Hirsch was formally given Albrecht's president and CEO title in September. Under his purview, a number of execs from Albrecht's regime departed. Among them was rising star Marta Fernandez, who served as exec vp originals and had been with the cabler for 12 years when she stepped down last May — a mere five months after she was promoted to the position.

Under HIrsch, Starz is more closely aligning itself with parent company Lionsgate. Nearly all of its scripted originals are now produced in-house by Lionsgate TV, with more in the works from the studio including offshoots of its well-known IP like Weeds and Blindspotting. Hirsch's mandate, as he explained to critics in his first TCA appearance since taking over the network, was to focus on what he called "premium female." He's looking for period dramas that resonate with the upscale and older female viewers who are drawn to Starz hit Outlander.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of their shows being produced in house is no surprise - that seems to be where a lot of networks are moving.

Also, I love period dramas :]
I think the exodus and the lack of a replacement is a bad sign, but hopefully, focusing on in-house properties means more interesting shows emerge.

That being said, hopefully nu-Starz gets all the premium females it wants with "Outlander", historical dramas like "Outlander", reboots of once-popular shows, and movie adaptations.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, more chasing of the elusive "premium female". (All while Starz produces things like American Gods, Heels, and an eventual John Wick spinoff). I still don't know why they aren't just broadly committing to genre premium programming... which has always been their specialty.
It might just surprise which Starz shows skewed premium female. Like Spartacus was one. Black Sails also did fairly fine on that metric.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might just surprise which Starz shows skewed premium female. Like Spartacus was one. Black Sails also did fairly fine on that metric.
I loved both of those, and would love more shows in that vein. I just don't think they are actually talking about programming like that when they're saying they're pursuing the "premium female" audience.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I loved both of those, and would love more shows in that vein. I just don't think they are actually talking about programming like that when they're saying they're pursuing the "premium female" audience.
From an interview with their COO:

Still, it's such a shift because so much of what that network was built on was male-focused content like Spartacus and Black Sails.
Spartacus actually skewed female. Black Sails was a little more balanced and skewed more male. But Spartacus was female characters manipulating the men around the board. Power is 65 percent female. If you look at the show, on the surface, it's a good-looking African-American drug dealer trying to get out of the trade and it's a gangster male show. But the real core of that is it's a soap opera with a love triangle.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Nic Pizzolatto And Matthew McConaughey Reteam For 'Redeemer' Drama Series At FX
True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto and one of the hit HBO anthology series' original stars Matthew McConaughey are reuniting for Redeemer, a drama series headlined by the Oscar winner, which has landed a script-to-series commitment at FX. In conjunction to the sale, Pizzolatto has signed an overall production deal with Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions and McConaughey has closed a first-look production deal with FXP. FX, FXP and 20th TV are all owned by Disney.

Created by Pizzolatto and inspired by Patrick Coleman's debut novel The Churchgoer, Redeemer stars McConaughey as a minister-turned-dissolute security guard whose search for a missing woman in Texas leads him through a corruption-steeped criminal conspiracy, as his past and present impact and entwine around a mystery of escalating violence and deceit.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Quibi is an ARG now, inspecting the javascript console for Quibi.com has a link to a YouTube teaser video for one of their shows. It is a 6 second teaser.

3o97ewa.png

Status
Not open for further replies.