• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be the most appropriate casting of all time
I agree, but I also agree with what Erinn says in her interview about it. As good as she'd be in the role, it would be gimmicky and the ensuing hoopla would probably overshadow the actual show.

Since Kevin Can F*** Himself was announced, Vulture has been heavily campaigning for you to be involved in the show.
Well, bless you. I did read the script. I just reached out through my team in Hollywood, because I wanted to see what their take on it was. And it's so good. The woman who wrote it is so smart. The angle she takes on telling this particular story has nothing to do with me. It has nothing to do with Kevin James. It's just exploring the trope that we talked about earlier.

It's way older than that.
It's so much older. It's The Honeymooners. It's bananas how old this trope is. And she does it so well. It's so good, and I'd kill to be in it. It's fantastic. That being said, maybe I'm the only one in town that won't get a chance to read for it. Who knows? That would be a story in itself, and I don't know if they'd want to make the casting a story.

Because it would make it too specific to your own case, as opposed to about that trope more generally?
Because then it's like, "Oh, it's Erinn Hayes, who was killed off Kevin Can Wait." It makes that part of the story. But if there's any way I could do that part, I'd love to. The part they've written is so full and so interesting. They just did a great job, and I'm excited to see how the show turns out whether or not I ever get a chance to read for it or be a part of it in any way.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I also agree with what Erinn says in her interview about it. As good as she'd be in the role, it would be gimmicky and the ensuing hoopla would probably overshadow the actual show.

I mean, the entire premise sounds kind of gimmicky to begin with, so they might as well go all the way with it.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
BBC Two's 'Giri/Haji', which is now on Netflix in the US, has gotten fantastic reviews.

Netflix said:
Family duty sends a lawman to London to look for his mob-assassin brother as a yakuza war threatens to engulf Tokyo. Trust is even tougher to find.

Which makes it sound like a generic crime thriller, but according to Paste:

Giri / Haji is full of unexpected twists, not just in its narrative but in its form. It's dark and violent at times, but also funny and full of heart.

A couple more quotes:

It's also worth noting that this is a series that requires your close attention, not least of which because it's half in Japanese. Often characters will flip back and forth between English and Japanese, leading to some funny scenes of purposefully wrong translations or people complaining they don't speak one or the other.

Giri / Haji is a smart series that rewards your attention (and a bit of a slow start as it builds) as a deeply satisfying story.

The other reviews are similarly glowing.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BBC Two's 'Giri/Haji', which is now on Netflix in the US, has gotten fantastic reviews.

A couple more quotes:

Never heard of this but totally sounds up my alley. Thanks for pointing it out.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Adored this show, when watched it on BBC2. Ended at in my top three shows of 2019.
Shame it didn't really get the audience attention here in the UK that it deserved.

The finale ended with a 600,000/4% (share) viewing details, the season overall averaged 700,000/4% in overnights viewing stats.
Audiences numbers peaked with the opening episode of around 1.5 million/9%

Oct 27, 2017
"Exclusively on FX on Hulu"

🥴

They're going to have their own section on Hulu called "FX on Hulu", so it's not as bad if you think of it like that.

An interesting factoid from the FX TCA appearance; A Christmas Carol's audience on Hulu was on average 17 years younger than it was on FX. That's a fucking enormous difference and shows what huge problems traditional TV will face in the future.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

A couple more quotes:

Didn't realize this had dropped already. I've been excited since I saw the first trailer. Now I know what I'll be binging this week, thanks ratsky

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Jan-09-THU.png

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Adored this show, when watched it on BBC2. Ended at in my top three shows of 2019.
Shame it didn't really get the audience attention here in the UK that it deserved.

The finale ended with a 600,000/4% (share) viewing details, the season overall averaged 700,000/4% in overnights viewing stats.
Audiences numbers peaked with the opening episode of around 1.5 million/9%

That's a shame. Still, the ending works as a series finale, no?

They're going to have their own section on Hulu called "FX on Hulu", so it's not as bad if you think of it like that.

FX is not a mega recognizable brand like Marvel/Star Wars/National Geographic, so having an FX section on Hulu like Disney+ has with their brands is dumb. Hulu has more clout with young people anyway, so just call them Hulu Originals.

lucky300

Aug 9, 2018
NBC has handed out its first pilot order this cycle to Night School, a multi-camera comedy based on the hit 2018 Universal movie, from Marlon co-creator Christopher Moynihan and the film's star/producer Kevin Hart, producer Will Packer and director Malcolm D. Lee.

Penned by Moynihan, Night School the series centers on a unique mix of adults at a night school GED prep class who unexpectedly bond over their shared experience and find themselves helping each other both inside and outside of the classroom.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah totally, there is a beautiful non-dialogue scene in the finale which is breathtaking,

Excellent :^)

In the world of quality TV I'd argue FX is plenty recognizable as a brand.

The average joe doesn't care though and the people who are savvy enough to know about FX's legacy can pick their shows out of a lineup anyway.

I've already seen a ton of people confused by "Exclusively on FX on Hulu" - it's like if Disney said "The Mandalorian: exclusively on Star Wars on Disney Plus!". It's a weird mouthful.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Sepinwall has given Apple TV+'s new series 'Little America' one of his highest scores ever - 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

It's a great show — easily the best of Apple's early output.

IndieWire

First-time filmmakers are often told to start by crafting just one good scene, then move on to a short film, then a feature; the lesson being, you have to learn to walk before you can run. Following that advice may not be possible for a new streaming service, since Apple has to go toe-to-toe with the TV industry's titans right out of the gate, but "Little America" still illustrates an encouraging early step. It may not make the biggest splash in today's crowded TV market, but Apple subscribers are finally getting the quality promised a few months ago.

Variety

"Little America" is a thoughtful show, made with evident care and consideration for doing justice to the heritages depicted.

It's an anthology show about immigrant experiences in the US and premieres on the 17th.

~

HBO's 'The Outsider', an adaptation of the Stephen King novel which premieres this Sunday, isn't faring as well with a slightly above average 64% on Rotten Tomatoes. Luckily for HBO, they also have 'The New Pope' this Monday, which is currently at 82%. Critics seem to think it's about as good as The Young Pope.

~

Josh Thomas (creator of the wonderful Please Like Me) also has a new show coming up on the 16th called 'Everything's Gonna Be Okay', which is also garnering very good reviews thus far. Given how great Please Like Me was, Everything's Gonna Be Okay is one of my most anticipated shows of the year (even though it's on Freeform blech).

~

Alsooooo for fans of animated kid shows, Netflix's 'Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts' and Disney's 'Owl House', both of which premiere this week, seem to be well liked by adults. They seem to be in the vein of Gravity Falls/Stephen Universe/Hilda so maybe check them out if you're into that sort of thing.

Oct 27, 2017
The average joe doesn't care though and the people who are savvy enough to know about FX's legacy can pick their shows out of a lineup anyway.

I've already seen a ton of people confused by "Exclusively on FX on Hulu" - it's like if Disney said "The Mandalorian: exclusively on Star Wars on Disney Plus!". It's a weird mouthful.

Why would you be worrying about "the average Joe"? Are they going to be watching Mrs. America?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Josh Thomas (creator of the wonderful Please Like Me) also has a new show coming up on the 16th called 'Everything's Gonna Be Okay', which is also garnering very good reviews thus far. Given how great Please Like Me was, Everything's Gonna Be Okay is one of my most anticipated shows of the year (even though it's on Freeform blech.)
If it helps, the show will also be available the next day on Hulu, so you don't have to watch Freeform at all. I'm very much looking forward to watching this show when it comes out next week. After Please Like Me, anything with Josh Thomas in it gets my immediate attention.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Also, wow.

The network has handed out a straight-to-series, 11-episode order for Dwayne Johnson comedy Young Rock, inspired by his life and featuring the mega-star.

Johnson will appear in every episode as the focus and inspiration of the series will be on his formative years. The single-camera comedy will be co-written by former Fresh Off the Boat showrunner Nahnatchka Khan and her longtime collaborator Jeff Chiang. Both will exec produce alongside Johnson and his Seven Bucks Productions' Dany Garcia, Hiram Garcia, Brian Gewirtz and Jennifer Carreras.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
TBH, I'm pretty surprised, especially with how NBC burned off season 2 in the last two weeks of last year.
Holy shit! Renewed for THREE seasons?! NBC must be very confident in New Amsterdam.

And that's great for Dwayne Johnson and Nahnatchka Khan! That should definitely pull in viewers.

NBC looks like it's ready for the next few years with all of this news, plus the Seth MacFarlane contract. Hopefully it'll be good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.