• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Steve Martin and Martin Short to Star in Hulu Comedy From 'This Is Us' Creator
Steve Martin and Martin Short are headed for Hulu.

The two legendary comedians are set to star in a straight-to-series comedy for the Disney-backed streamer that is also exec produced by This Is Us creator Dan Fogelman. The pickup was one of a wave of announcements to come from Hulu during its time at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena. Other news included season two renewals for Kat Dennings comedy Dollface and for drama Wu-Tang: An American Saga and a slew of premiere dates.

"Hulu's success in original content is driven by highly curated programming from world class talent, said Craig Erwich, senior vp originals at Hulu. "From the Steve Martin project, second series orders of Ramy and Dollface, to shows like Little Fires Everywhere, our momentum in original content is stronger than ever."

As for the new show, the untitled comedy revolves around three strangers who share an obsession with true crime and suddenly find themselves wrapped up in one. Martin and John Hoffman (Grace and Frankie) co-created the series and will pen the script. Both will exec produce alongside Dan Fogelman, his This Is Us colleague Jess Rosenthal and Short.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
PSA: Don't watch the new Goop show on Netflix under any circumstances. Nobody should watch this. Ever. Even for curiosity, or ironically. Let's not send any signal to Netflix that this kind of shit can be successful.

In the third episode of Goop's Netflix series, a female guest remarks that us women are seen as "very dangerous when we're knowledgeable." [Ep. 3, 33:35]

"Tell me about it," Gwyneth Paltrow knowingly replies amid "mm-hmms"—as if she has a first-hand understanding of this.

But after watching just a few minutes of any of the six episodes of the goop lab—or knowing pretty much anything about her pseudoscience-peddling "contextual commerce" company "Goop"—one might be skeptical that Paltrow has ever borne any such burden of knowledge in her life.

"It's our favorite subject—vaginas!" Paltrow proclaims gleefully [Ep.3, 3:05]. Then the same guest, feminist sex educator Betty Dodson, corrects her: "The vagina is the birth canal—only. You want to talk about the vulva, which is the clitoris, and the inner lips, and all that good shit around it."

Paltrow giggles before responding, "The vagina is only the birth canal? Oh! See, I'm getting an anatomy lesson that I didn't—I thought that the vagina was the whole..."

"No, no, no, no," Dodson cuts her off.

To be fair, a lot of women might not be clear on this particular anatomical point. But for Paltrow, who claims to help empower women while touting dubious and dangerous products and treatments for said body part—ahem, vaginal steaming, cough, jade eggs—you'd hope she had a tight understanding of what a vagina is—or isn't in this case.

There are some very worrying stuff throughout the episodes.

About cold therapy:
Hof claims that, through his breathing and meditation, he can control his autonomic nervous system to keep himself warm. However, a study of Hof and his twin brother—who doesn't partake in the Wim Hof method and has a sedentary lifestyle—suggested that it's genetics and brown-fat levels that account for their cold tolerance.
While there's certainly evidence that breathing and meditation methods can help improve well-being, particularly for people suffering anxiety or depression, Hof is well-known for making unsupported medical claims and spewing pseudoscientific gobbledygook about his strategy. For instance, he's suggested that his method can cure cancer.

So, naturally, he fits right in at Goop.
In the end, none of them dies, and one of them says it helped her manage a panic disorder. The former point is important given that there have been several reported deaths among people using Hof's method. This, of course, is not mentioned in the Goop episode.

About psychedelic:
While that research is legitimate and interesting, the Goop episode approached the topic in the dumbest possible way: a group of four Goop employees hop on a plane to Jamaica to trip on mushrooms. Two of the Goopers weren't trying to address mental health. One Gooper said she wanted to feel more creative and like her "authentic self," and Loehnen, who went, said she wanted a "psychospiritual experience." The other two were trying to "process some personal trauma."

While the clinical trials are evaluating specific drug doses to treat well-defined symptoms in tightly controlled, weeks-long programs, the Goopers drank mushroom tea once, in a "more ceremonial setting," surrounded by what they described as "psychedelic elders."
Meanwhile, the interview back at Goop headquarters starts rambling, with discussion around vague mental health issues, the value of "connecting people," harmful societal norms, and how basically everyone is suffering. Paltrow notes at one point that she, too, suffers mental-health problems despite her wealth and status, and she adds that "being the person that people perceive me to be is inherently traumatic." [Ep.1, 29:00] Poor Gwyneth.

About ageing:
The fifth episode tackles ways to try to thwart aging—with reconstituted soup, a $50 piece of salmon, and weird facials.
To fill time in the rest of the episode, the women also get facials to try to look younger. Paltrow goes to a naturopathic doctor for a "vampire facial," which involves injecting platelets harvested from her own blood into her face. Loehnen gets 100 acupuncture needles in her face, and Lauria has a plastic surgeon pull the skin on her face back with dissolvable threads, which leaves all manner of weird puckering.

About energy healing:
At Goop headquarters, Paltrow and Loehnen interview chiropractor and "body worker" John Amaral. He claims to influence how energy moves through the body by changing the frequency of a person, or something-something, quantum physics. We also hear from Apostolos Lekkos, a physician who is really into "manipulating the energetic field of a person." He's also Amaral's apprentice.
Throughout the episode, Amaral spouts nonsense and claims that quantum physics proves what he's doing is real. For instance, he states that the double-slit experiment proves "without a shadow of a doubt that our consciousness actually shifts or alters, in some way shape or form, physical reality." [Ep. 5, 5:30] (Spoiler: it doesn't.)
A few Goopers subject themselves to Amaral's body working and end up describing their experiences as "trippy" and "weird." One Gooper said it ended up being therapeutic because he relaxed and quieted his mind. Paltrow and Loehnen also get their energy fields manipulated. Paltrow rose off the table saying she was sleepy, while Loehnen claimed to have gone through an exorcism.

When the show becomes available on January 24th, whatever you do, do not give this show any views!

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Erwich also addressed the cancellation and controversial ending to Veronica Mars. Although, he sidestepped why Hulu opted not bring back Rob Thomas' show for another run, he said he "supported" the way that Thomas ended the show. "That ending was Rob Thomas' decision. He has been the creator and longtime steward of that franchise. I support the decision that he made. For me, we talk about the volume of conversation, but the other thing that you're looking for is the intensity of conversation. And I think the intensity of that reaction was a testament to how much people like the show," he added.

Gonna have to crowdfund another movie 😬

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, just saw this. Apparently in November TVLine reported it was not getting another season, though "Thomas is not ruling out the possibility of more Veronica Mars down the line." Well... the whole supposed point of
the finale death was to create a new status quo where Veronica was off on her own solving mysteries because, to paraphrase, PIs can't solve mysteries with their SO. Personally I think that's an uncreative reason and emotionally I thought it was a bunch of crap, but I've been shipping those two - and probably almost no other couples in TVdom - for 15 years so I think my displeasure with it is understandable. Didn't help that the killer reveal was so unsatisfying.
Up till that point I enjoyed the season a great deal though. I'm sure I would semi-begrudingly watch.
At least iZombie had an uber-satisfying and complete story (as another Rob Thomas show).

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
PSA: Don't watch the new Goop show on Netflix under any circumstances. Nobody should watch this. Ever. Even for curiosity, or ironically. Let's not send any signal to Netflix that this kind of shit can be successful.

When the show becomes available on January 24th, whatever you do, do not give this show any views!
Does the FDA or whatever not investigate any of these claims?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

I know it was reported to UK regulators when Goop tried to enter the European market back in 2018.

And their Canadian expansion in 2019 didn't go that well:
When American actress Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop lifestyle and wellness business opened its first bricks-and-mortar store in Canada on Friday, federal health inspectors were among the first to file in through the door. As a result, two of its beauty products were pulled from shelves.

But I'm not sure if US regulators are looking into it, though.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I know it was reported to UK regulators when Goop tried to enter the European market back in 2018.

And their Canadian expansion in 2019 didn't go that well:

But I'm not sure if US regulators are looking into it, though.
I suppose the fact that it's "entertainment" is why Netflix can release utter bullshit?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most salient question is: why the fuck Netflix is paying for the privilege of airing what is effectively Goop infomercials?

My understanding is the FDA is slowly looking at more homeopathic stuff but mostly only when it's advertised as addressing serious medical conditions. A lot of this stuff skates by thanks to never making real claims or just having disclaimers saying that nothing has been verified by the FDA. Plus, all kinds of opposition to government bureaucracy, regulation, etc.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So Shameless is just about done, eh? I'm like 5 episodes behind but I was looking forward to it becoming the Ian and Mickey show again. I did miss Emmy though. Hopefully it ends well.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most salient question is: why the fuck Netflix is paying for the privilege of airing what is effectively Goop infomercials?
My guess is Brad Falchuk is effectively blackmailing them to do so.

Either that, or Netflix decided a pivot to wine moms & bored suburban house wives was what the data dictated.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
FWIW, you don't need to make an account to watch them.
I still have a FB account for what it's worth (so it's not that), but it's just not a platform I'd ever go to watch a show. I imagine it has some sort of standalone app somewhere but I've not seen it on my TV and frankly have no interest in downloading it even if it exists since it's such a specific use case. This was always a losing proposition for them.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Jan-17-FRI.png

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Just learned what Quibi stands for, and I couldn't be more disgusted.

Also, I'm appalled at how they've turned the public's abject horror at this nebulous entity slowly convulsing to life into a cutesy marketing ploy. These are truly dark days.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
One of these days the CW is going to run a show that gets straight zeroes for a whole season and still renew it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
EPIX has announced several new series:

The Winter King will take on the the mythic saga of King Arthur. Led by the producing team behind The Night Of and His Dark Materials, the scripted drama will adapt Bernard Cornwell's trilogy of Arthurian novels, The Warlord Chronicles. In the first book, Derfel Cadarn, a former warrior sworn to Arthur and now an elderly monk, tells the story of how Arthur became warlord of Dark Age Britain despite illegitimacy to the throne.

(Edmond Dantès )

A Column of Fire is based on author Ken Follett's Elizabethan-era dramatic novel of the same name. Written by former British actress Lizzie Mickery, the series will follow the 1558 romance between Ned Willard and Margery Fitzgerald, continuing on through half a century of political intrigue and turmoil.

(which sounds kinda Outlander-y)

Gibson Station, a dramedy set in 1984, centers on three 20-somethings and best friends who set out to pursue their dreams and leave their stamp in Ronald Reagan's America. The series is helmed by producer/writer/director Edward Burns.

which, I guess

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
If I had Apple TV+, I would check this out. Still no desire to sign up for it. It has been interesting to see the main Always Sunny cast get their own shows, with the exception of Charlie and Frank.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad too. I just hope the producers get some advice from the BDSM community and learn how to do a proper knot.

They really played fast and loose with a lot of the BDSM stuff, just kind of doing whatever was funniest despite the fact that there are hard rules that everyone has to follow in professional BDSM settings.

No news on Perpetual Grace LTD eh?

Nope!

Does EPIX have the budget to do these type of fantasy/historical series?

I guess we'll find out!

Oct 25, 2017
911 Lone Star had a great start, TK was instantly lovable since he's hot but also its good have a gay chara in some lead role, and i think its the first show I've seen with a trans character.

looking forward to tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.