• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
profile updated, full international as always. Even though i moved out of the Santa Claus country of Finland to Canada since the last event :D

Nov 23, 2017
Weird. Everything should have been revealed in the OP once you replied to the thread.
Okay. Never paid attention to how it was done on here. I know the old way, if you quoted the post, the hidden information was in the reply post. I didn't realize it would appear in the original post. But i got it now. Yay! I'm officially in.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For whoever my Secret Santa ends up being:

I'm not a fan of wishlists, I think it just risks that the person getting a gift just gets something predictable, something obvious. It's the thought that counts for sure but I love being surprised, especially with things I was probably not going to try myself. I'm a 29 years old male from Italy and I have a pretty large post history so there's certainly much to pick from, but in general I mainly game on Xbox One X, play some on the Switch, occasionally play some indies or older titles on a low-medium range laptop, but on any platform I have a major backlog for sure. Obviously I can't really post all that I own but regarding new games you just need to know that if I dribble around in the Official Threads I own it, otherwise I don't. My other main "media" hobbies are music (I also collect that, and have a variety of genres I follow: metal, EDM, pop, etc.), TV shows (recently I've been really enjoying multiple HBO shows for example), and also movies which I also collect to an extent.

In general, what I most look forward about Secret Santa is getting things I would have probably not bought myself or, even better, things that I practically can't even find in my country. I love experimenting with food from around the world, I like travelling so getting some piece of folklore or history from somewhere excites me. One big change compared to this time last year is that I moved in with my girlfriend, so we have a new place that we're slowly decorating and designing to our liking. So house decorations, kitchen utilities and whatnot are also generally welcome, obviously keeping in mind that I do have most of the basic stuff in place already. Anyhow, if you have more specific ideas about what to get me and you're unsure about my exact tastes, feel free to drop me a message over at Elfster: I have mail notifications on so I should definitely see it.

Last year I wrote up a rather detailed and specific post, I'll post that again because it's still pretty accurate (I'll point out the differences):

I don't want to post a wishlist per se, I feel like that would make the gifting more trivial as I'd just try and push my own expectations over someone else. I like surprises. However, if you're not into checking my (lenghty) post history, a few elements to go from are these:

- I am mainly an Xbox player, I even work for an Xbox-themed website as a reviewer. I'm invested in multiple Microsoft franchises and in Microsoft hardware in general, and it's where I spend 90% of my gaming time overall (the Xbox One X, in particular). I own 900+ games between backwards compatible and actual Xbox One games [2019 EDIT: Probably over 1000 by now.], so finding what I don't own may be fairly difficult, though maybe you can see from my post history. I usually am in the OTs for the new games I'm playing for what it's worth, so if there is something I'm not talking about in the OT chances are I haven't bought that yet. In general I adore shooters and action games mainly, but I'm also very much into danmakus, roguelikes and other indies.

- Out of the current-gen consoles, my second system is a Switch. I mainly use it for puzzle games like Picross, but I do have most of the interesting exclusives like Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and the likes. I also love playing it with my girlfriend and buddies, so our playlist does have stuff like Mario Party, Mario Kart and such party games. I'm especially interested in the Mario franchise, I own BOTW and I played some Pokémon here and there but I feel like I never gave a proper chance to a lot of other franchises like Zelda, Metroid, Pokémon, Pikmin and so on. [2019 EDIT: I bought last year's Pokémon game, wasn't really a fan. Enjoyed it but got bored after 10 hours or so.]

- I don't currently own a PS4. I've been considering picking one up for the few big games I'm interested in (like Spider-Man), but to be fair my backlog is so ridiculous already that it would be hard to find the time to properly use it anyway. 90%+ of the games I play are on Xbox and Switch anyway so I'm not losing out on much, but it's something I will probably eventually get. Some Sony franchises I enjoy (but I haven't played beyond the first game) are Uncharted and God Of War.

- I don't currently have a proper gaming PC, only a low-medium end laptop I bought some months ago. It runs Sea Of Thieves around low-medium settings for what it's worth so I don't really bother with new games on it, but I have some older (5+ years) games and indies installed for it. I have a long history of gaming on PC but in the past decade or so I'm mainly on console. Spent an unhealthy amount of time on games like Unreal Tournament 2003, WarCraft 3, Worms games, TrackMania series, Ricochet games (not the Valve one, the Breakout-clone) back in the day.

- I don't have a whole lot of videogame collectibles, but I really enjoy them.

- To move outside of gaming, I also enjoy TV shows, movies a whole lot. A good book too, for reference I speak English, Italian and Hungarian well so anything in those languages and I'll be able to understand. I'm used to watching stuff with subtitles for what it's worth. I enjoy trying all kinds of exotic food and drinks, and always enjoyed checking out different cultures and styles, so I'm one of those people that can definitely be pleased with local specialties (be that something cultural, culinary, etc.). I'm not picky at all. A weird obsession/collection I have are Tic Tac boxes of all kinds, countries, flavours. I have over a hundred different packages from many countries. That is something I always like picking up when I'm in other countries.

- Almost forgot, my other big collection is music, I have a few hundred items between CDs, vinyls, cassettes and DVDs besides my digital collection. I have a wide taste as I have just about everything from the harshest metal to electronica, from art pop to dance pop, from neoclassical to experimental and noise, from rock to rap, from old to new. I'm always open to trying out something new there as well, I never say no to any genre, style or country of origin in music either.

But yeah, this is really just a general guideline of my tastes, what consoles I own, what I usually do in my free time. As I mentioned I'm totally not picky and I love experimenting and trying new stuff. Obviously gaming is my main hobby but I spend a lot of time on other activities as well, so I'm open to any kind of gifts. As I mentioned in the thread already, I like being surprised.

EDIT: Almost forgot, in case you need questions of help feel me to use the anonymous PMs on Elfster. Feel free to ask me if I own certain things or not. Bury the lead if you prefer, eg. if you want to buy me Halo 5 (I have it, I'll just use it as an example) feel free to bury the lead and ask me, say, which Xbox one games you have starting with H, C and L, I gladly give you what I've got and you don't reveal what you're planning.

EDIT 2: Let's go with the standard format too, then.

General Info:
Current occupation: IT
Shirt Size: L (USA), XL (Europe)
Favorite Hobbies: Video games, listening to music, watching TV shows, watching racing like Formula 1 or IndyCar
Consoles I Currently Own: Xbox One (plus an Xbox One X), Switch, 3DS, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii out of the more recent ones, plus the NES and SNES Classic consoles.
Favorite Video Game Genres: First person shooters (arena shooters, especially), racing games, third person action games, bullet hell/danmaku, 2D platformers, old school RTS games.
Favorite Gaming Series: Probably Doom, since I grew up on it and I absolutely adored the last game too. Notable mentions include Unreal Tournament, Call Of Duty (the Black Ops games addict me like few others), Forza (both Motorsport and Horizon), Age Of Empires.
Dietary Restrictions: No food allergies I'm aware of. I'm also fine with alcohol and such. There's a couple foods/drinks I don't want to touch, it's the ones that have a taste that not only I dislike but that also have the horrible tendency to stick in your mouth for hours. Mainly liquorice, olives, and coffee - I don't die if something includes a bit of these, but if the entire bite tastes of nothing but these things I'd rather avoid.

Wishlist: I wrote a lot of info which could make you think I have specific wishes, but I really don't. If I had to choose, I'd probably prefer getting stuff that is hard/impossible to find where I live, be that region-specific games, local foods and decorations or the likes. It's why I signed up for Full International: I'd enjoy getting truly unique things. But this is just a general preference, I'd be absolutely fine receiving games, books or whatnot that I could also find here.

A lot to absord I suppose but again, I love surprises, I just post these indications in case you want to go with a relatively specific piece of media/entertainment and you want to know my tastes. But to me it's the thought that matters, anything that shows a bit of thought and effort satisfies me immensely. Last years I've got a wide variety of things and all of them were amazing to me, even the smaller items. So don't feel under pressure for this gift at all!

Interface23

Oct 27, 2017
In.

I'm a big switch guy as my elfster wishlist shows. The only thing that bugs me is games with download codes so like with FFX I'd much rather the Japanese version instead of the US version

Edit: dunno if I was supposed to do both us only and full international but I dont mind buying two gifts if need be

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I actually have to drop out, just found out I'll be traveling too much over the holidays. Happy holidays though everyone!

May 21, 2018
Baltimore MD
Hey now! Thanks for spearheading this again nicoga3000 last year was a blast, and I would like to do this again this year. In for US again.

I'll put together a dirt sheet for my SN a bit later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the mention - I must have missed some replies because I hadn't seen the updates on this thread.

I'll make a point to update the OP this weekend with additional details and such!

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I think I'm set.

I put in tons of stuff on the wishlist, but mainly because I like to give folks in these lots of options.

Three other things my SS may want to know:
I always like to get your favourite book. It doesn't matter what it is: novel, comic, fiction, non-fiction, manga, a strategy guide, a travel book, a tabletop RPG manual, whatever it is. Over the years I've gotten Snow Crash, books on life in Japan, a few of those hardcover collections of game writing, and even a light novel!

The wishlist is designed to be a guide, don't feel obliged to rigidly stick to it. I like surprises!

Also, I will likely be unboxing your gift on a livestream so pls keep it clean if it all possible thanks!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So the matching will happen on 11/23, right? So i won't really have to bother making a wish list prior to that ...

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I am also being lazy...
Also, i'm very impulsive with my purchases - so i don't want to have to correct the list if i ... uhm ...
Well, to be fair, i always put "don't buy me video games or shit, because i can do that on my own" (albeit in a nicer way) in my wish list.

Usually it's a long winded post that boils down to "Anime: No. Star Wars: Yes. Cats: Absolutely. Candy: Please"

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
I just noticed that on the main page on elfster you can check the number of people that are currently subscribed to your pool.

Mine is double than when I signed up, I think it's exciting seeing more people get into the fun :-)

magnificent83

Oct 30, 2017
Despite things not working out for me last year on the receiving end, I'm happy to be back participating and sending gifts this year.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
So the Finnish postal workers just entered a strike that might take four weeks. They're already saying they'll deliver international packages just only after the strike has ended and they will not be delivered in time for Christmas.

So yeah, depending on how this goes I might have to drop out because it seems like I cannot be prepared to have a gift on time for Christmas for my Tiny Tim. But we'll see closer to the sign up closing time.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Finnish postal workers just entered a strike that might take four weeks. They're already saying they'll deliver international packages just only after the strike has ended and they will not be delivered in time for Christmas.

So yeah, depending on how this goes I might have to drop out because it seems like I cannot be prepared to have a gift on time for Christmas for my Tiny Tim. But we'll see closer to the sign up closing time.

I can sympathize with strikers more often than not, but them screwing over regular people for such a long time just before Christmas is a low blow :( Sorry to hear all that, hopefully they'll manage to find a solution in time.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
last year was my first frustrating year with secret santa. There were so many shipping issues with the post office and finding my packages. I'm definitely upgrading insurance + shipping this year to avoid all of that entirely.

I hope this year is better!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I can sympathize with strikers more often than not, but them screwing over regular people for such a long time just before Christmas is a low blow :( Sorry to hear all that, hopefully they'll manage to find a solution in time.

Yeah I'm the same. I generally symphatize but they are not getting much goodwill from the public with this stunt for sure.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I would absolutely love to do this but for some reason I can't see the links when I reply...?

Oh wow! that's cool. Got it working.

I remember Milk gave me some awesome, awesome presents my first year. Art of Destiny, a terrific shirt that I still wear though I'm outgrowing cause I'm tryin' to get buff, and a sweet poster about the crime in the early 1900s in Chicago. Awesome stuff.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got a job for this season, so I'm thinking of signing up :D

It could be fun to gift something cool from around here to someone at Era; and might be fun to get a gift for once these dates.
I will check how are international shipping costs first 🤔

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I've been procrastinating on signing up as I'm torn between doing international at the offset of higher shipping costs or saving money and do national. It might just be a coin flip decision for me.

magnificent83

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it's stressed enough in the OP so I'll say it here.

If you plan to participate in this gift exchange please be aware that you should be fully invested in making sure your Tiny Tim receives a gift.
Nicoga has done an excellent job at facilitating these exchanges but it's very disappointing to see each and every year when people receive no gifts and are just left hanging. It's not cool. Don't be that person.
If you send a gift and it gets lost in transit, contact your shipping company and get it resolved ASAP. Don't just wait for a miracle to sort itself out.
If need be, get a refund and order your Tiny Tim another gift.

It's terrible to see people giving and not getting anything in return. On top of that, most of the ones in the past have been super laid back about not getting anything and that makes me even sadder. It shouldn't be like that.
Thank goodness for the people that offer to send gifts to those that haven't received one each and every year. Truly a great gesture.

That is all.
Let this be the best year of Secret Santa we've ever had!

It's actually kind of pathetic when it happens. My Secret Santa disappeared from Era at the end of December 2018, didn't show up for almost 8 months and when I PMed him about what happened, says he mailed something and that he's looking into it. We'll see what happens.
Anyways, I'm excited to to take part again. I'm not letting last year dampen my enthusiasm

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Details done
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Bump.

3 days til sign up deadline.
Those that plan on joining remember to sign up using the instructions provided in the OP.

New Santas welcome!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
It does not look like the Finnish postal worker's strike is ending anytime soon, so I have to draw away my sign up because I can't commit to get a gift delivered in time for Christmas.

I wish everyone has a great time this year!

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't forgot to do my secret santa list yet but i definitely will before the 24th......i say optimistically

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd sign up again this year but I can't really afford it to be honest. I love giving gifts, so I'm a little sad about it. Hope everyone has a good time this year.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
I could't participate last year because of my cross-country move, but now that I got some time to settle in, I'm definitely going for this year.

Not a huge fan of Elfster's specific wish lists so I'll make my wish list here. I like my SS to do a little homework. =P
Ok with Digital Goods
Shirt size? Asian M, American M-L
Current gaming systems: PS4 and most likely a Switch between now and Christmas (because I'm a Pokemon addict and will get Pokemon S/S sooner rather than later)

Current games (PS4): Horizon, ME: Andromeda, Dot Hack, MH: World, FF XV, God of War, KH 2.8, as well as a current PS+ library
I also have a Steam account (but try not to look based on that wish list, I haven't updated/pruned that in years)

For genres I love JRPGs (currently getting through Xillia 2), open-world/exploratory, narratives, sims, and those with excellent stories. Outside gaming, sci-fi is my jam.

Hobbies? I'm into cooking and I'm still looking for more equipment such as a carbon steel wok or enameled dutch oven. Anything anime is also good. My figurine/wall section is a little bare now that I moved to the west coast. I also love anything regional or unique especially with food.

As for things I don't want: Anything NSFW because I'll be opening your gift with family and children around. Let's keep it PG-13 tier.

Last edited:

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of Elfster, but I'm definitely in again this year.
Here is my wishlist:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone! It's that time of year again...

The annual ResetEra Secret Santa!

There has been a lot of back and forth over how to organize this year's exchange. I toyed with the idea of using manual PM's versus Elfster, but I settled on Elfster for one VERY specific reason. From the 2018 thread discussion:

So in order to avoid that nightmare (and because I will be traveling for 2 weeks at the start of December), Elfster wins!

Make sure you have an Elfster account (or recover that password). Go in and edit your profile.

Here's the kicker.

I will be watching those who sign up and checking their profiles.

If you do NOT edit your Nickname in your profile with your ResetEra username, I will delete you from the participant list with zero warning. See the image below for what I'm looking for.

qF2vDqx.png

Also, you NEED to input tracking. I can't enforce that with bans or anything, but do know that I will have NO shame in posting the usernames of those individuals who choose not to post tracking.

========================================================

Additional details!

• Sign-up deadline will be 11/22/2019
    • Don't forget to make your wish list on Elfster!
  • Tracking must be made available by 12/20/2019
  • Post in this thread and be somewhat active
    • That includes posting pictures of what you get!

I'm going to hide the links here. How do I do that again? I don't remember how to do that on this forum.

[Hidden content]

[Hidden content]

[Hidden content]

Update 11/3: Sign up deadline is 11/23/2019 and matches will go out 11/24/2019
Fuck up my wallet, Era.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Current Occupation: telecommunications
Do you have an email address that you'd like to provide your Secret Santa with for digital goods?
yes but please ask me via the secret santa site because it basically reveals my true identity
Do you have a Steam profile? not one I use frequently
What is your favorite color? Blue
What size shirt do you wear? Med in most sizes
What gaming consoles do you have? Xbox, PS4
Do you have any hobbies or collect things? I draw occasionally, other than that I collect records. I listed genres in my secret santa profile. I collect gaming related figures, I think I also listed games I like in my secrete santa. I like card games but I own a lot of them already. (exploding kittens, throw throw burrito, you've got crabs, cyanide and happiness card game, scale of 1 to t-rex, shit happens, secret hitler,bears vs babies)
Sports Team: I don't sports
Food allergies? No allergies, but I am vegan
Are you OK with digital goods? either digital or physical. it doesn't matter
Are you OK receiving items from Amazon, eBay, or other online retailers? Yes.
Are you OK with NSFW goods? I don't mind them no
Favourite Anime/Manga Series: cowboy bebop, attack on titan, parasite, my hero academia, hunterxhunter, many more but that is a start.
Is there anything you absolutely do NOT want to receive? I am down with whatever
Favourite Games/Genre/Series: I loved witcher, love rpg's like that, I also like party games like jack box. I know a new one just came out. scary games, I own most though like outlast, outlast 2, etc
Favorite Music: rock, punk, emo. Think of angsty teens from the 90's. Some I listen to now are WSTR, Real Friends, Roam, Calling All Captains, blink 182, Dance Gavin Dance.

Oct 27, 2017

Current Occupation:
Office work. I do have a website. See left.

Do you have an email address that you'd like to provide your Secret Santa with for digital goods?
Lets use [email protected]

Do you have a Steam profile?
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197990507801/

What is your favorite color?
Blue

What size shirt do you wear?
L

What gaming consoles do you have?
PC, Switch and Xbox One

Do you have any hobbies or collect things?
I like video games and movies. Listen to a lot of podcasts. Go to comedy shows.

Sports Team:
Rams, I guess

Food allergies?
No.

Are you OK with digital goods?
Sure.

Are you OK receiving items from Amazon, eBay, or other online retailers?
Yes.

Are you OK with NSFW goods?
Sure... uh, sure.

Favourite Anime/Manga Series:
None.

Favourite Games/Genre/Series:
Battlestar Galactica is my favorite tv show of all time. I like a lot of scifi and the premiere tv offerings. Plus Gilmore Girls and a good walking sims.

Favorite Music
I usually just listen to Fierce Femmes in spotify. Men can't sing.

Extra Info
I'm terrible at all this. I do not know how to wishlist or get gifts for other people. I have a Switch. I live in a kind of small apartment in LA. Fitness and losing weight is a concern for me. I have a cat named Wesley(after the Angel character) who is dope.