2019 State of the Union |OT| I'll allow it - Nancy (2/5 at 9pm ET)

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
People wanted Stacey to break out a big fuck you to Trump while whacking Mitch McConnell with a steel chair. I mean who cares about facts and pointing out what flaws this country currently has amirite.
Abrams is a black professional woman, she would never have gotten half as far if she was anything like these folks wanted her to be

Jul 24, 2018
Speech was fine and I like Abrams, but I'm honestly fucking tired of Democrats saying "I don't want him to fail"

I want him to fail. I want him to fucking crash and burn and endure horrible agony before croaking.

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people are angry and only want to hear anger towards the president and republicans.

NPR so far is saying that they think the speech was pretty strong if not one of the best in a while.
PBS Newshour also agrees that it was a total 180 on what Trump was spewing out. Again, people want spectacles instead of what the issues are.

Oct 27, 2017
The only silver lining of that fucker becoming Governor in Georgia is that Stacey is freed up to run for Senate (or more). She is amazing.

Oct 26, 2017
People wanted Stacey to break out a big fuck you to Trump while whacking Mitch McConnell with a steel chair. I mean who cares about facts and pointing out what flaws this country currently has amirite.
as another Era member put it:

Seeing people say someone making great points delivered well is boring really puts into focus why someone like Trump wins. Nobody cares about policy. They want pageantry.

Oct 28, 2017
Choice #1: she goes in hard and creates clips for the oppo

Choice #2: she goes in smart and to the point, avoids any gaffes, and we are done.

There is nothing gained long term going in hard. It creates future problems

Oct 26, 2017
Again: what tone of voice do you guys think a black woman who is still trying to win a position in Georgia can afford to use? How angry can she sound without ending her career? Seriously.

Abrams is a black professional woman, she would never have gotten half as far if she was anything like these folks wanted her to be
It's baffling.

Dec 24, 2017
Abrams has an awesome ability to speak to the heart of issues. Speaking to us, sure it might seem subdued, speaking to the broad spectrum of people it might play well. That being said, sure I would not have minded a bit more resolute terms when speaking of the crisis we are in and the depths to which we've sunk.

Oct 28, 2017
It’s not that that it was bad but it felt to me like the kind of response speech to a normal Republican president when there’s nothing normal about this presidency
It's Trump's night. Going in hard right after his speech doesn't help. Give it 24-48 hours, gather your facts, and then attack.

If we attack too hard tonight after the delay, it will backfire. Play the long game

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah the points she made were important.

But it's fair to criticize the delivery.

There didn't seem to be much urgency in her voice. Not much of a call to action here.

It felt, as one person mentioned, like a school report. I'm not seeing the overall passion that others have mentioned in this thread.
She's a Black Woman politician

If she coughed during the speech, people would have ripped her shit

You can't even pretend to think that she's playing at fair standards or without preconcieved notions

Oct 27, 2017
She's saying good stuff, but it sounds kind of like an infomercial.
That's the vibe I got from it to. It's going to come off like an "establishment" style speech even though she tried to make it personal.

Edit: to clarify, I thought her content was fine but something about the delivery, background, etc. Created a vibe that came off to polished, in the sense that it had a "production" quality to it.

Oct 28, 2017
Speech was fine and I like Abrams, but I'm honestly fucking tired of Democrats saying "I don't want him to fail"

I want him to fail. I want him to fucking crash and burn and endure horrible agony before croaking.
We need to avoid attacking the institutions. That is exactly what Trump does. If we want to win the white House back it's going to take more than the Democratic base to do so.

Oct 27, 2017

You can't even pretend to think that she's playing at fair standards or without preconcieved notions
It’s amazing how Trump just needs to do the bare minimum to be called presidential, as opposed to Obama especially

Nope, she’s a fox
Thank you, someone who doesn’t make me feel weird

She just looks really great for 78

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing people say someone making great points delivered well is boring really puts into focus why someone like Trump wins. Nobody cares about policy. They want pageantry.
Obama brought policy with exuberant charisma. They aren't mutually exclusive entities.

One of my biggest concerns is Trump as a general concept has opened Pandora's Box in regards to the pageantry. In that the loudest, most bombastic candidates will always get to the forefront above level-headed reasonable ones. I mean it's always been a case but Trump takes that element of modern politics to the extreme.

The President has always been someone with ThinkTank credentials that can speak to a nation. Now the President is simply a "character", a reality star.

Oct 27, 2017

lol could you even imagine what would've happened to her if she was Secretary of State and pulled what Kemp did last Nov against a GOP opponent?

LAWD

Dec 24, 2017
We need to avoid attacking the institutions. That is exactly what Trump does. If we want to win the white House back it's going to take more than the Democratic base to do so.
If every Democrat voted we would win I think, I don't know how much we need to reach across the aisle as much as how much we need to just get people out to vote.

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
It’s amazing how Trump just needs to do the bare minimum to be called presidential, as opposed to Obama especially

Thank you, someone who doesn’t make me feel weird

She just looks really great for 78
Twice as hard, half as much

Oct 26, 2017
Lets be honest it would have been the same thing if Abrams cured cancer live on stage.
I would assume the RNC response was written up before seeing her speech, but it's just so funny since she only talked about present issues while Trump gave us a full history lesson including pulling out Buzz Aldrin.