• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
With Avengers: Endgame coming out in less than 2 weeks the 2019 Summer Movie season will officially begin (ignore the part where it is still spring). This means that the Summer Box Office Wager will soon be upon us! Courtesy of /Film, the Totally Rad Show, and Time Travel Reviews the Summer Box Office Wager is a contest where the players rank the top ten highest DOMESTIC grossing movies of the summer.
Last year kswiston , BiggestGeekEver , hodayathink and I ended up in the top 3%. If Solo had not been a bomb I would have been in the top 10 (No I'm not still bitter about that). This year I am again inviting ERA to join with me.

INTRODUCTION/RULES

The object is to pick the films that you think will be the top-ten grossing films of the summer, in order of box-office performance. That means only films released from April 24th 2019 to the Labor Day weekend (including Monday), counting only the money those films make domestically (US and Canada) in that period (04/24/2019-09/02/2019).

In other words films from March or Early April might still be making money after May 1st, but they don't count; films released from May on could start racking up foreign B.O., but that doesn't count; films released from May on could still be making money into late September, but that doesn't count either.

So what you will be doing is figuring out what 10 films will make the most money, and putting them in order of what you think they will gross at the box office. BUT, in addition to your top 10, you get to pick 3 "Dark Horses"- films you think *might* make it, but that you are not confident enough about to put into the top 10 proper.

SCORING

The scoring of your list of 10 movies and your 3 dark horses goes like this:
  • Getting number 1 or number 10 dead-on gets you 13 points (each).
  • 10 points for numbers 2-9 dead-on
  • 7 points if your pick was only one spot away from where it ended up
  • 5 points if it was two spots away
  • 3 points if your pick is anywhere in the Top 10
  • 1 point for each dark horse that makes it into the Top 10
The scoring is tabulated so that you get the SINGLE HIGHEST point value for each pick - that is, if you get number ten right, you don't get 13+3, you only get 13.

DEADLINE
April 24th at 12 PDT is the deadline for entry.

LINK TO ENTER
https://thesummermoviewager.com/playalong.php?year=2019

Leave the name you used to enter here so that we can keep track of everyone!

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I was in the Top 50 last year. Ant-Man passing Solo on the last day robbed me of about 10 places.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun game where box office prognosticators get to put their proverbial money where their mouth is, so of course this thread is only gonna have like 5 replies.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
This could be fun.

Nickname: ReiGun (same as on here)

My picks:

1. Avengers Endgame
2. The Lion King
3. Toy Story 4
4. Detective Pikachu
5: Hobbs and Shaw
6. Spider-Man: Far From Home
7. Aladdin
8. Secret Life of Pets 2
9. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
10: Dark Phoenix

Dark Horses:
Annabelle Comes Home
Child's Play
Rocketman

The one I'm probably least confident in despite it not being a dark horse is, ironically, the blockbuster I'm most excited for: Detective Pikachu. I think there's more hype and curiosity surrounding it than most people think, but I think its momentum could be halted by poor critical reception. That said, I put it at number four because I'm looking forward to it and that's the highest I felt comfortable placing it. So fuck it lol.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Ay this is always fun. Gonna enter this year as well, made a fool out of myself last time

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
Wait a second, I thought I brought this up last year and no one was interested. I ended at 794th place with 70 points. Good but not great although I did beat every one on the slash film cast. Everything I picked was off by one slot!

I'm still working on the list for this year, I'll add it soon.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Got my list up under phoneybone

Avengers: Endgame
Lion King
Toy Story 4
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Secret Life of Pets 2
Detective Pikachu
Hobbs & Shaw
Aladdin
John Wick 3
Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Dark Horse Entries:
Dora
Annabelle
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Alright. Here's my list:

1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. The Lion King
  3. Toy Story 4
  4. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  5. Hobbs & Shaw
  6. Detective Pikachu
  7. Aladdin
  8. Men in Black: International
  9. The Secret Life of Pets 2
  10. Annabelle Comes Home
Dark Horses:

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • Dark Phoenix
  • Ugly Dolls

PS: Is there a way to update our entry prior to Wednesday or is it locked in when you submit it?

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Alright. Here's my list:

1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. The Lion King
  3. Toy Story 4
  4. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  5. Hobbs & Shaw
  6. Detective Pikachu
  7. Aladdin
  8. Men in Black: International
  9. The Secret Life of Pets 2
  10. Annabelle Comes Home
Dark Horses:

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • Dark Phoenix
  • Ugly Dolls

PS: Is there a way to update our entry prior to Wednesday or is it locked in when you submit it?

As far as I can tell, it's locked when you submit, which is why I waited until today to submit.

OP
OP
Rvaan

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Last Bump before the wager closes. Got my list in today.
2019_Summer_Wager.png

I feel good about the top 5 everything after that not so much.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Whew just thought I missed the deadline for the wager but there is still about 4 hours left for people to join. I am having a harder time than usual organising the list

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Pikachu's performance fucking a lot of us over. And looking at the UK opening for SLoP2 is not encouraging either. First one opened to $13.4m there. The new one opened to $4.1m. If that holds true in the US, then some of us are double fucked, lol.