• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
People think our entire state is a 5 mile stretch of highway on the Turnpike between exit 12-13A near the Oil Refineries and Airport.
I've lived in NJ (and all up and down the east coast for that matter) and know that isn't the case but I now live in Washington and the natural environment here is better than anything on the east coast IMO.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
WV's a beautiful state with a lot of stuff to do if you're in to outdoor activities.

There's also nice liberal pockets, like Fayetteville, Davis, Thomas, etc that are largely inhabited by aging hippies.
LA has a lot of outdoorsy stuff too and it has the benefit of having NOLA

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Well like usual, I have lived in five of the bottom 20 states and then Florida.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Natural environment is a weird category because it's pretty subjective, is it not? Some people like the mountains, some people like lakes, the desert etc.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, how Kansas is ranked 8th in natural environment.
If you drill down it's based on pollution and air/water quality. I thought it meant natural sights, landscapes etc but apparently not.

Indiana at 36 seems right. We're pretty average every where except pollution which is absolutely abysmal.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I moved from Maryland to Colorado and believe it is a step up in every conceivable way. But hey, top 10 is top 10.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, Louisiana has wetlands that sustain enormous amounts of wildlife and keep the Gulf from being even more polluted but this list was probably compiled by an intern sitting in an air conditioned cubicle.

Ok, sure it's hot and sweaty... and gets hit by hurricanes every couple years, but, uh, Hawaii at fucking #16 on "Natural Environment"...?

Ok, sub-Newsweek list rag

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree with my fellow Coloradoans. The plows and street prep for pending snowstorms is a joke. I feel like a could go out with a shovel and a couple boxes of kitty litter and do a better job with the roads than CDOT around my area. And as much as I love RTD compared to some other public transportation systems, I really hope they keep expanding and quit with the cancelled trains. The traffic just keeps getting worse, and is starting to remind me a bit of Atlanta.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I always instinctively just scroll to the bottom to see where Oklahoma is. 0 faith in this state, but also it's never proven me wrong.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that bottom 10 is scary easy to predict. I would have guessed Ohio would have taken PA's spot, but other than that...

Pleased with MN's ranking as usual.

Oct 27, 2017
"Florida Man" ranked at 13 (while Texas ranked at 38)... Ouch, that hurts. On every level.

At least Lousiana is properly dumped at bottom-of-the-barrel 50 LOL

Jun 17, 2019
Illinois stay losing.

Good for VA!
Okay 1. Were in the top ten for education. 2 how are they ranking this stuff, because I do not get how were below Wisconsin When I keep being told by people that Wisconsin is terrible for work.

Yes our roads need work, but what do you expect when a huge number of trucks and trains come into our state to transport it out.

Seriously Id love to see the survey they used for the data on this.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I like parts of Washington, but seeing it at #1 doesn't inspire any confidence in the rest of the country for me.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
Rhode Island is... #1 for natural environment? What? We typically went to Maine or Vermont to enjoy natural environments.

???????

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
"The natural environment ranking looks at the quality of air and water in a state, as well as exposure to pollution and toxins."

Still seems off even after reading their criteria for ranking environment...

If that's the full criteria, it may make sense. the bigger cities, especially SLC all tend to get an inversion, so the air quality sucks until it rains or snows and clears out.

Oct 26, 2017
Man I want to move to Vermont (from Austin TX) so bad. Only challenge is that there are state level laws that make running a business in my industry harder.

honestrade

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've lived in CA, UT and OH and feel their rankings are pretty spot on. Clicked on the thread thinking UT has to be top 10, OH bottom 10 and CA in the middle.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Moved to Seattle 6 months ago and I cannot imagine a better place to live in the US besides NYC if you can afford to live rich.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
That makes a ton of sense. We get inversions here in Boise and man are they bad sometimes.

Yeah, SLC gets really bad sometimes because we're in a valley with mountains on either side. But the days that are clear are beautiful.

I've actually thought about moving to Boise or Sandpoint at some time.