• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
1nxofAG.png

LIVE from Melbourne Park in Melbourne, Australia, it's the 108th Australian Open! Tennis Australia has pledged to donate money for every ace hit during the tournament. $5,149,592 has already been donated for 5,528 aces hit across the first couple of Australian tournaments.

Also, due to the fires, an air quality policy is in effect, which you can read about here:

And now, onto the draws!

First the draw for the men's singles tournament...

Then the draw for the women's singles tournament...

dfaUQbS.jpg

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I would take Barty or Pliskova on the womens side. Djokovic has to be the favorite on the mens side. Hopefully the bushfires continue to burn out so it doesn't effect play.

Oct 27, 2017
Serena Williams or Naomi Osaka on the women's side. The winner will come from that expected QF.

On the men's side, Djokovic (unfortunately) or Nadal. Tsitsipas perhaps. Would love to see Fed pick up #21 but don't see it happening until Wimbledon.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for some Federer magic and a deep run as we're running out of opportunities to see him play.

Jun 17, 2018
Rooting for Nadal on the men's side, though I'm not confident he'll make a deep run with that nightmare draw.

And Serena on the women's side, I think winning Auckland last week will help her confidence. Only people in her way en route to the final are Osaka and Kvitova imo.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Going for Serena and a young gun (or Nadal) on the men's side. I think Novak will win, though.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Well Genie didnt make the cut after winning her first 2 qualies,and Andrescuu is still out with an injury,but Leylah Annie Fernandez,17,made it,woot,good luck to her and the rest of Canadians...

Hopefully the conditions on site dont cause problems.
Nice! There are 22 USA women in the singles draw, and several of them have a chance to make big runs in the tournament.

There are also 12 USA men in the singles draw, and I predict all will be eliminated before the 4th round.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice! There are 22 USA women in the singles draw, and several of them have a chance to make big runs in the tournament.

There are also 12 USA men in the singles draw, and I predict all will be eliminated after the 3rd round.

By comparison we Aussies have 6 ladies and 11 blokes in the singles. Still salty for The Demon, poor kid.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I had to turn off the Fed match. It's not even fun watching him destroy this dude. It's so comically one sided.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Coco's dad has the "Call me Coco" shirt with the text upside down. A nod to being in Australia, the upside down land. I like it

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Coco beat Venus in straight sets......again. I really feel like this year's US Open would be a great time for Venus to call it a career, and what a storied career it was.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I would have loved to watch the Federer match but the time difference is really unfavourable for us Europeans. From 0 to 7 I sleep and from 8 to 16 I work.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Crikey, Barty did really well to overcome that first set scare, and Dan Evans has been making serious strides in this past year (from outside the top 100, to becoming the 30th seeded player) and won his first round match against McDonald after being two-sets down!

Still think Djokovic will win his seventh Australian Open ... *grumbles*

A shame Murray is out injured ... ☹️

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I say Wimbledon since that was always more of her tournament. Or the Olympics.
You only get 3 or 4 representatives per country at the olympics and right now Venus is the 9th ranked American. Don't think she'll be selected to play in the olympics. But yeah Wimbledon would be a good place to retire but given the US Open is just a couple months after that I see her playing the US Open once more

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
You only get 3 or 4 representatives per country at the olympics and right now Venus is the 9th ranked American. Don't think she'll be selected to play in the olympics. But yeah Wimbledon would be a good place to retire but given the US Open is just a couple months after that I see her playing the US Open once more

I can't imagine her and Serena not being one of the doubles teams for the USA.

Apr 24, 2018
I hope if we get Rafa Novak in the final again that it'll be a competitive match this year. While I'm a huge fan of Novak, I really like to see the epic matches he plays against Rafa and Roger (Wimbledon 2018 semi with Rafa, Wimbledon 2019 final with Roger in recent years). He's freaking beat Federer from match point down three times in majors (at least; back to back US Opens and Wimbledon last year, of course) which is unreal.
Last year, Rafa looked incredible heading into the final but Novak played out of his mind in the the final. Was incredible to see that sort of dominance on display, but I would really prefer something more competitive/memorable.

Really, really, hoping to see a Rafa Novak final at Roland Garros this year, a(ssuming they're still 1-2 at that time). I really would like Novak to win the French with a win over Rafa in the final. I still think it's a shame that Novak's one win over Rafa at Roland Garros happened in a semi and he wound up not winning that title that year. Last year, a poor first set and irritability due to poor weather conditions really cost Novak against Thiem and left me bitterly disappointed.

Jun 17, 2018
I hope if we get Rafa Novak in the final again that it'll be a competitive match this year. While I'm a huge fan of Novak, I really like to see the epic matches he plays against Rafa and Roger (Wimbledon 2018 semi with Rafa, Wimbledon 2019 final with Roger in recent years). He's freaking beat Federer from match point down three times in majors (at least; back to back US Opens and Wimbledon last year, of course) which is unreal.
Last year, Rafa looked incredible heading into the final but Novak played out of his mind in the the final. Was incredible to see that sort of dominance on display, but I would really prefer something more competitive/memorable.

Really, really, hoping to see a Rafa Novak final at Roland Garros this year, a(ssuming they're still 1-2 at that time). I really would like Novak to win the French with a win over Rafa in the final. I still think it's a shame that Novak's one win over Rafa at Roland Garros happened in a semi and he wound up not winning that title that year. Last year, a poor first set and irritability due to poor weather conditions really cost Novak against Thiem and left me bitterly disappointed.
Here is the criteria for being on the Olympic team - https://www.usta.com/content/dam/us...te_Selection_Proceedures_2020_Tokyo_Final.pdf

My read of it is since "Estimated performance at the Games (most likely combination of players to win medals in the doubles events)" is one of the criteria they will be offered spots by the USTA if they want to play.
The USTA gave them a berth at the Rio Olympics and they didnt play much that year either. Pretty sure they'll give them a spot on the team, Venus also won a silver in mixed in Rio so I'm sure she'll play that event too. The other players will complain, but she's got a really good record at the Olympics.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
The USTA gave them a berth at the Rio Olympics and they didnt play much that year either. Pretty sure they'll give them a spot on the team, Venus also won a silver in mixed in Rio so I'm sure she'll play that event too. The other players will complain, but she's got a really good record at the Olympics.
But doubles has a few select spots and i believe if a nation has a top 10 doubles player, then that player has to be included for doubles Melichar is currently number 1 for this year and Mattek Sands has a strong chance if she's back to a normal schedule.