• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Warren unveiling universal child care plan tomorrow.

The plan seeks to make access to child care universal, the sources told HuffPost, by offering federal funds to providers that offer care at their facilities on a sliding income scale.

No family would have to spend more than 7 percent of its household income on child care, no matter the number of kids. Families with incomes below twice the poverty line, which is roughly $50,000 a year for a family of four, would pay nothing.
But, the sources said, the campaign has an internal analysis that shows the initiative will likely require approximately $700 billion in new federal spending over 10 years. That is a net figure, taking into account higher economic benefits of early childhood investments, such as making it easier for new parents to return to work.

Oct 25, 2017
Respectfully, I am reminded of this pretty funny tweet I saw earlier:

Honestly, I'm just now getting caught up on the last few days of stuff around here, and I had no idea that ketchup and eggs were a thing.

If eggs couldn't stand on their with some salt and pepper, you added butter, if that wasn't enough you added a hot sauce. I love Louisiana hot sauce. Pairs perfectly with fried, scrambled, poached, and boiled eggs. (and so much more!)

In my mostly white family this was the norm. Some of my friends tossed ketchup on their eggs but all I thought was "That's weird."

I didn't realize this wasn't a universal thing until 2016 when Hillary was accused of pandering.

I'm guessing it's something adopted when my family was almost exclusively race mixing in the sixties, seventies, and eighties. So it was just the norm to me. Then again my family through that era was very weird for Kansas. Not only is a good chunk of my family mixed raced, we had quite a few openly gay and trans men in the family in the eighties. We've never been comfortable with the status quo lol.

Generally, aside from one branch in particular, my family tends to have males that are... at least bisexual. Out of the males directly from my grandmother Marjorie, there are three males who have shown no homosexual interests, and at least 10 (including me) that are at the min bisexual.

My family history apparently isn't the norm for most white people.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Military funds go to much more than missles and bombers. It includes increasing telecommunications systems and infrastructure. There is a 5G rollout this next year. Not doubt some of this funding is going to this. In addition, expect some of this money to be funneled into next gen systems.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I have my doubts about her viability as a final 2 candidate, but Warren being in the race is unequivocally wonderful... I hope this becomes a party platform item for 2020.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Military funds go to much more than missles and bombers. It includes increasing telecommunications systems and infrastructure. There is a 5G rollout this next year. Not doubt some of this funding is going to this. In addition, expect some of this money to be funneled into next gen systems.

FWIW, Warren's not proposing to divert military funding for this.

She's already proposed a wealth tax that would raise about $275 billion / year, so she's got the childcare program costs covered via that.

This would be such a boon to so many working families. I don't have a child, will never have a child, and am at a loss for conceiving of rational arguments against such a program.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, Warren's not proposing to divert military funding for this.

She's already proposed a wealth tax that would raise about $275 billion / year, so she's got the childcare program costs covered via that.

This would be such a boon to so many working families. I don't have a child, will never have a child, and am at a loss for conceiving of rational arguments against such a program.
No I wasn't claiming there was an issue with Warrens plan. I think it's a fine idea. I would vote for Warren given the chance. I was dismissing the notion that defense funding was entirely flippant as the tweet was implying.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No I wasn't claiming there was an issue with Warrens plan. I think it's a fine idea. I would vote for Warren given the chance. I was dismissing the notion that defense funding was entirely flippant as the tweet was implying.
I don't think it's implying that it's flippant, just that we don't see as "how do we pay for it" as much in regards to military spending compared to initiatives like this or Medicare For All.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The point of that tweet was how we give the military a bigger budget even when they arent even asking for it without question, but that is never the case for social programs that would help Americans. There is always the "how can we afford/pay for this?" Question bought up to squash even the consideration for debate.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Not sure if certain people were not paying attention or don't remember but the context is that Trump sent this tweet calling defense spending levels "crazy":

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1069584730880974849

Keep in mind he's taking about a defense spending bill HE SIGNED.

Just a few days later...

Trump reverses course, tells Pentagon to boost budget request to $750 billion

That would dwarf the $733 billion budget proposal Mattis and other top military leaders have been fighting to preserve and would represent a stunning about-face for a president who recently called the fiscal 2019 top line of $716 billion for defense spending "crazy." In October, Trump said the defense figure for 2020 would be $700 billion​

He signed $716B the previous year and then called it crazy, said he wanted to decrease it to $700B in line with % cuts elsewhere... the military proposed $733B... and Trump gave them $750B...

Trump committed to a fiscal 2020 defense budget of at least $750 billion, a nearly 5 percent increase instead of a 2 percent cut.​

And of course it passed easily, with hardly any opposition or even discussion.
Of course plenty of other agencies DID get their budgets cut significantly...

That increase was not based on any request for infrastructure or "5G rollout" or anything, it was Trump picking a random number out of thin air as a negotiating tactic, and then getting it when no one opposed:

Trump suggested the new $750 billion number during the Tuesday meeting as a "negotiating tactic" to ensure that Democratic opposition does not push the eventual defense budget below the $733 billion that Mattis, Inhofe and Thornberry were pursuing​
...​
"There was a discussion with POTUS about how to get $733 billion, and POTUS suggested that if the position is $733 billion, then we should submit a budget at $750 billion as a negotiating tactic," the second source said. "That said, the president changes his mind constantly."​

Not sure how any of that is relevant here, but just thought I'd clear up the speculation...

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on the thread, reading this for the first time, and I feel like Kamala Harris' entire childhood just flashed before my eyes.

Her father putting out this statement somehow makes me like her more. Parental disapproval*: I can relate.

*especially the extra-dramatic kind that invokes dead ancestors and whatnot.
I had read before that Kamala did not have a good relationship with her father, that he never really was there for her growing up. So him being a selfish ass really isn't that surprising sadly.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's a huge pet peeves of mine to see wackass parents airing grievances with their kid in public. And his statement leaves room for his grandfathers and their siblings, and other family members to being smokers.
Last time we saw this people were like "Oh poor Aaron Rodgers family how can he not talk to them" and were then provided with mountains of receipts on them being right-wing conservative religious zealots.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's a huge pet peeves of mine to see wackass parents airing grievances with their kid in public. And his statement leaves room for his grandfathers and their siblings, and other family members to being smokers.
Especially when from what has been said before he was a absent father and not really involved in her life closely. Dude is a loser who wants attention.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Especially when from what has been said before he was a absent father and not really involved in her life closely. Dude is a loser who wants attention.

Not by choice. Her mom got custody and moved to Canada.

I'm not 100% on the validity of the statement. Strange I haven't seen any secondary sources confirming or denying it yet.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not by choice. Her mom got custody and moved to Canada.

I'm not 100% on the validity of the statement. Strange I haven't seen any secondary sources confirming or denying it yet.
Her mom got 100% custody, if her dad wanted to be involved in her life he would have been. She was only 7 at the time. The fact he wasn't involved in her life growing up makes anything he says pretty much useless if this indeed him. Unless we want to start listening to what Malik has to say about Barack lol.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Kamala Harris' father will be a minor celebrity on the right, at least for a few months while he's useful... sort of like Obama's half-brother who was pro-Trump.
It's not even confirmed that he wrote that. The only place that brought this up is a nothing site created 4 months ago called jamaica global.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had read before that Kamala did not have a good relationship with her father, that he never really was there for her growing up. So him being a selfish ass really isn't that surprising sadly.

That's sad. I didn't know that it was bad like that between them. I thought it might've been a fluke eccentric statement. At first, it almost came off comical to me because it was a father putting pride of national ancestry over paternal bonds - which is absurd all on its own. Then, he was so extra about it. His statement was so over the top. But now that I think about it more carefully, something like that could only happen if relations were strained between them.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Her mom got 100% custody, if her dad wanted to be involved in her life he would have been. She was only 7 at the time. The fact he wasn't involved in her life growing up makes anything he says pretty much useless if this indeed him. Unless we want to start listening to what Malik has to say about Barack lol.

Is it well documented that he wasn't involved at all? Being in another country makes it a lot tougher to meet more than a few times a year, especially if employment opportunities aren't there.

I'm not comfortable with people smearing the guy when we don't know if it's even authentic.

It's not even confirmed that he wrote that. The only place that brought this up is a nothing site created 4 months ago called jamaica global.

Just a clarification, but the site was registered 12 months ago, with postings from at least 10 months ago. This doesn't mean it's authentic or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.