• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know much about this Inslee fella but his bio makes him seem a strong candidate.

I'm guessing his limiting factor is having a wet blanket personality?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Robert weakness:
Billionaire father-in-law
Charter school administrator wife
"A March O'Rourke profile in the Dallas Morning News said the candidate's father, the late Pat O'Rourke, who was elected El Paso's county judge, "once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke. It was also a way," the story said, "to distinguish him from his maternal grandfather, Robert Williams.""
https://www.statesman.com/news/2018...ed-and-robert-orourke-by-beto?template=ampart
Trying to decide if Trump will call him Robert like this poster just did, or if he'll pick some kind of racial name like he did with Warren. Or maybe both.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
Brother Bernard, lez go!

Unfortunately, I like Lizzy for the most part, but just feel she is DOA.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Surprised to see so much support for Beto considering some of his views (member of New Democrat Coalition instead of Congressional Progressive Caucus seeming reluctance to support Medicare for all) . Is it mostly because people think he has the best chance of winning?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Whoever unseats Trump. I'm not a progressive so I don't put that over beating Trump.

I'm favorable to Grandpa Joe, Beto and Klobuchar though.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Robert weakness:
Billionaire father-in-law
Charter school administrator wife
"A March O'Rourke profile in the Dallas Morning News said the candidate's father, the late Pat O'Rourke, who was elected El Paso's county judge, "once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke. It was also a way," the story said, "to distinguish him from his maternal grandfather, Robert Williams.""
https://www.statesman.com/news/2018...ed-and-robert-orourke-by-beto?template=ampart
So he is Bizarro Ted Cruz? I'll buy him at a high price, stranger.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Surprised to see so much support for Beto considering some of his views (member of New Democrat Coalition instead of Congressional Progressive Caucus seeming reluctance to support Medicare for all) . Is it mostly because people think he has the best chance of winning?
You can pretty safely expect Beto's presidential campaign to be to the left of his senate campaign. He's running nationwide now, not just in Texas. He'll come out in full support of M4A, and probably give some "I've evolved on those issues" responses to concerns about his more questionable votes as a congressman.

Also I think in 2020, D voters will prefer a reasonably progressive candidate. Anyone making a serious run for it is going to be moving left towards Sanders and Warren in order to try swing some voters over to their side. Everyone on that list in the OP is going to be stumping on reforms, reforms, reforms. Except maybe the man shaped like a bullet.

Edit: Looked it up, nope, Ojeda supports Medicare for all too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of ability to beat Trump I think the top 5 most likely able to beat Turmp are:

1. Beto
2. Biden (I don't want him to run though, no one should have to vote for someone over the age of 75 for a first term)
3. Brown (I don't want him to run either because then we have to give his senate seat to a Republican)
3. Gillibrand
4. Kamala
5. Klobuchar

The only major candidates that are unlikely to beat Trump if they were the nominee are Warren and Bernie.

My personal ideal favorite ticket is a combination of Beto and either Kamala or Gillibrand, with Beto at the top of the ticket.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Warren or Sanders for me on the policies. But for electability, Sanders has a much higher chance of beating Trump because he's the most popular politician in the US and has maintained much support since the 2016 primary despite a lot of smearing on both sides.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh....he is for Medicare For All.

Warren or Sanders for me on the policies. But for electability, Sanders has a much higher chance of beating Trump because he's the most popular politician in the US and has maintained much support since the 2016 primary despite a lot of smearing on both sides.
Obama is the most popular Democrat in the country.

And to say he maintained most of his support is not true. His polling numbers in early primary polling aren't really great. He is in the high-teens and always far lower than Biden. When Hillary was in his position in late 2014 after coming in second in the last open primary she was polling over 60%. His polling right now is downright BAD for someone who came second in the last open primary. His polling indicates a lot of his 2016 base has left him and is looking for a new candidate.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
If it was up to me it would be Inslee but it isn't and experience is a liability now so it'll likely be someone who has little to no record rather than a long good record of competent governing

So I guess it'll be Harris or Beto

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Bernie >>> Warren >>>>> Kamala >>> Beto
(On policies, Kamala's record as an AG should be an instant disqualification for protecting Mnuchin and borderline transphobia)

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Uh....he is for Medicare For All.

Obama is the most popular Democrat in the country.

And to say he maintained most of his support is not true. His polling numbers in early primary polling aren't really great. He is in the high-teens and always far lower than Biden. When Hillary was in his position in late 2014 after coming in second in the last open primary she was polling over 60%. His polling right now is downright BAD for someone who came second in the last open primary. His polling indicates a lot of his 2016 base has left him and is looking for a new candidate.

Sounds like that position evolved since his Texas Campaign where he advocated for a single payer option but was opposed to medicare for all on the basis it oculd have hurt current recipients. It is good to hear if he is willing to fight for M4A

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right wing will latch onto Beto being a "Beta" SJW Cuck as their mode of attack. They are simple minded.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I wanted to support Eric Garcetti, but I'm starting to doubt he will run. The smartest option for him is to just wait until 2028. If he's out of the picture I will likely decide between Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
68 year old random governor with no real "it" factor isn't going to go anywhere.

He isn't random. He is the governor of one the most progressive states in the country and is the chair of the Democratic Association of Governors. The "it" factor is also totally subjective.

I have no delusions that he has a good chance but think more people would like him if they knew more about him. I also hope he can at least make Climate Change a major point of discussion in the primaries.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Holy hell, I looked up declared Libertarian candidates for the hell of it and check out these fucking losers:

Adam Kokesh - Wants to abolish the federal government, believes taxation is theft, pro-life, has a raging boner for guns, holding guns, and looking at other people holding guns, and can't stop getting arrested for 5 minutes to run a campaign.

Arvin Vohra - Thinks we should be shooting teachers instead of students, wants to abolish public schools, thinks Chris "The Crying Nazi" Cantwell is cooler than teachers, (wow what the fuck happened to this guy in middle school), is really upset about age of consent laws but would "probably not" have sex with a 14 year old, and "listen, guys, rapists are good people who sometimes do things we may individually disagree with."

Vermin Supreme - Wears a boot on his head, passionate about dental hygiene, animal lover, easily the most electable candidate in this pool.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Andrew Yang. The fac the isn't getting press doesn't surprise me. He's pretty much progressive
You either have to be an elected politician or a well-known celebrity to get any attention. He almost assuredly will not meet the polling threshold to even be on the debate stage at the first debate in June. Has nothing to do with his policies.

I mean hell he has less than 3,000 twitter followers. Thats less than a lot of ERA members lol.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this will be civil/s

Hopefully things are more interesting than last time. Bernie and Hillary were the only candidates anyone cared about last time.

Too bad AOC can't run. Hopefully she will some day.

Through some superhuman act of will manages to livestream constantly without yelling racial slurs.

LMAO.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is, NYTimes a few weeks back reported Beto for a 2020 campaign wants to livestream nearly 24/7 with a near nonstop live video feed.

The man knows how to use social media to his advantage. Dude's charismatic as hell.

Could be really interesting if he ends up running.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i would take a beto/harris or a harris/beto ticket if it meant 16 years of continuous dem presidencies.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You either have to be an elected politician or a well-known celebrity to get any attention. He almost assuredly will not meet the polling threshold to even be on the debate stage at the first debate in June. Has nothing to do with his policies.

I mean hell he has less than 3,000 twitter followers. Thats less than a lot of ERA members lol.

This is where Sanders should be endorsing rather than run and continue to fragment.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vermin Supreme - Wears a boot on his head, passionate about dental hygiene, animal lover, easily the most electable candidate in this pool.

1024px-Antifascist_rally_20171118-2017-11-18_12.22.38_%2837796414084%29.jpg

Checking his wikipedia made for a good laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.