• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your small part in nudging the Overton Window, Bernie.

Now, retire and let someone younger, more able and without the racist baggage take up the mantle.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

That'd a relief!

When we talk about issues of harrasement like Hillarys I view those as worse since they intentionally protected abusers. Sanders issues were less malicious on his part and more having to rapidly ramp up a long shot campaign and not adequately structuring HR. Hes made moves to correct this issue which is what I like to see. Saying oh Sanders campaign didnt have proper avenues for dealing with harrasement when other campaigns benefit from being post me too and better situated doesnt really tell us who would be better on the issue as president.

We know this to be true from someone who worked in his campaign. I agree they will have issues on their campaigns, including Hillary's (which is inexcusable) but they are not identical to Bernie's issues. As far as I can recall Hillary's was a one-off incident, while Bernie's was scattershot. Him correcting these flaws, which is commendable, is not necessarily going to protect him from being attacked on this - which I expect Gillabrand to do. he fucked up, so he's going to deal with the consequences during the campaign.

I feel like it'd be pretty scummy to use the victims of sexual harassment to score political points

You can bet someone's going to use any people hurt by Kamala's actions as DA against her, that's just how it is in politics. Everyone does it since it's a vulnerability.

I'm not saying his staff is out to get him. I'm well aware of this story. Some posters here are predictably out to get Bernie is what I'm saying. Staff brings problem, problem got addressed, everyone involved agrees to tighten the Bernie campaign ship. It's disengenuous to single out Bernie, when sexual harrassment happens in nearly every single public space where men interact with women.

Every candidate has posters here that don't like them, and will take cheap shots - that's not unique to Bernie. Regarding the sexual harassment incidents I've seen harsher takes on Kamala's past as the DA. Which they are right to do so, because she seriously fucked up and this is an anchor on her running for POTUS. Bernie's only being singled out as much as what unfolded has made him a unique case. If you have any stories from the other candidate's campaigns having this specific problem with handling sexual harassment shoot me a link.

Women can commit sexual harassment, I hope you realise. It's not a men only issue. It's just rarer and women are not in as many positions of power as men are. Another factor is that men are less likely to report it.

This was intended to be a private in-house communication and wasn't intended for the public, nor is it staff calling out Bernie publicly as some posters are pretending it is.

Of course not, they knew how terrible the optics ike this would be and are loyal to him. It's still relevant for news networks and his opponents to discuss.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017

Yep, she basically nailed the message I'd be going with if I was running the 2020 Democratic campaign.

America has always spoken of itself as the miraculous country where anything is possible. Yet you have the entire Republican Party and most of the Democratic Party telling you that you can't even have things that other first world countries have already implemented successfully, like universal healthcare, renewable energy reform, living wage provisions and college tuition assistance schemes that don't burden graduates with insurmountable debt.

What the fuck went so wrong to make America let its political leadership so brazenly bullshit the people, and even worse, they believe them.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
That'd a relief!

We know this to be true from someone who worked in his campaign. I agree they will have issues on their campaigns, including Hillary's (which is inexcusable) but they are not identical to Bernie's issues. As far as I can recall Hillary's was a one-off incident, while Bernie's was scattershot. Him correcting these flaws, which is commendable, is not necessarily going to protect him from being attacked on this - which I expect Gillabrand to do. he fucked up, so he's going to deal with the consequences during the campaign.

You can bet someone's going to use any people hurt by Kamala's actions as DA against her, that's just how it is in politics. Everyone does it since it's a vulnerability.

Every candidate has posters here that don't like them, and will take cheap shots - that's not unique to Bernie. Regarding the sexual harassment incidents I've seen harsher takes on Kamala's past as the DA. Which they are right to do so, because she seriously fucked up and this is an anchor on her running for POTUS. Bernie's only being singled out as much as what unfolded has made him a unique case. If you have any stories from the other candidate's campaigns having this specific problem with handling sexual harassment shoot me a link.

Women can commit sexual harassment, I hope you realise. It's not a men only issue. It's just rarer and women are not in as many positions of power as men are. Another factor is that men are less likely to report it.

Of course not, they knew how terrible the optics ike this would be and are loyal to him. It's still relevant for news networks and his opponents to discuss.
My point is making a 1 to 1 comparison is dumb given Hillary and 2020 candidates operate in an environment that benefits from the post me too era and having campaigns that are prepared for the growth in size. Bernie can be criticized but saying Harris or Hillary are better on the issue given their advantages isnt really that clear cut and i would say worse.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
My point is making a 1 to 1 comparison is dumb given Hillary and 2020 candidates operate in an environment that benefits from the post me too era and having campaigns that are prepared for the growth in size. Bernie can be criticized but saying Harris or Hillary are better on the issue given their advantages isnt really that clear cut and i would say worse.

The comparison was bought up because Bernie's employees' reaction was unique among other sexual harassment charges in campaigns. It's a wash here, and I'm being lenient on Bernie because what he did was fucked up which hurt multiple people under his charge. On numbers alone he did far worse. Sexual harassment was never something society took lightly in '16, #MeToo simply brought it to the forefront in society than it used to be. Of all the complaining about sexual harassment being a dumpster fire in campaigns, which I'd admit to agreeing with as likely, feels hollow when the only campaign bought up is Hillary's (someone who isn't running) and was a one-off fuck up. There's Kamala, but I don't recall her being as scatter shot as a DA, either.

edit: The charge against Bernie was specific, so I will ask again: who is running managed to ignore multiple sexual harassment incidents under their leadership because they were too busy, and had no infrastructure to speak of for this?

Yep, she basically nailed the message I'd be going with if I was running the 2020 Democratic campaign.

America has always spoken of itself as the miraculous country where anything is possible. Yet you have the entire Republican Party and most of the Democratic Party telling you that you can't even have things that other first world countries have already implemented successfully, like universal healthcare, renewable energy reform, living wage provisions and college tuition assistance schemes that don't burden graduates with insurmountable debt.

What the fuck went so wrong to make America let its political leadership so brazenly bullshit the people, and even worse, they believe them.

Because it's not all bullshit. The system is a functioning, real thing which tangibly affects the world the political class didn't pull a fast one on the public to believe in it like it was hypnosis. Those countries don't have America's history, foundation or the GOP fucking their shit up. Red tape won't simply disappear in any country because we don't like it, you need to be able to break it down and reform it from within brushing it off as a con leaves you powerless because it makes you misunderstand the problem you're facing. Common sense isn't so common, man.

Last edited:

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
The comparison was bought up because Bernie's employees' reaction was unique among other sexual harassment charges in campaigns. It's a wash here, and I'm being lenient on Bernie because what he did was fucked up which hurt multiple people under his charge. On numbers alone he did far worse. Sexual harassment was never something society took lightly in '16, #MeToo simply brought it to the forefront in society than it used to be. Of all the complaining about sexual harassment being a dumpster fire in campaigns, which I'd admit to agreeing with as likely, feels hollow when the only campaign bought up is Hillary's (someone who isn't running) and was a one-off fuck up.
Hillary was not a one off fuck up, shes shown history of this and her personal disregard for victims shouldnt give people confidence in her position on the issue. However lets use Kamala Harris who did not vet a top aide for his history of Harrasement and this happened in an environment that should have better HR procedures. Making statements that Bernie is worse by viewing the outcomes in a vacuum does not say who is better on the issue.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Because it's not all bullshit. The system is a functioning, real thing which tangibly affects the world the political class didn't pull a fast one on the public to believe in it like it was hypnosis. Those countries don't have America's history, foundation or the GOP fucking their shit up. Red tape won't simply disappear in any country because we don't like it, you need to be able to break it down and reform it from within brushing it off as a con leaves you powerless because it makes you misunderstand the problem you're facing. Common sense isn't so common, man.

This is all valid but isn't really a counterpoint to anything I said to be honest. I have a degree with honours in Political Science and Public Policy and in the past have worked in government agencies with the specific focus of changing the culture of regulation and reform government wide (in social, environmental and economic policy spheres). It's a tough beat. I only mention all that to demonstrate that I am far from blind as to the enormity of the challenge. I'm not saying it's something that will happen over night. Weber was right when he said that politics is the slow boring of hard boards.

But hard is not a synonym for impossible. It does have to start somewhere, and as my post said, I'm talking specifically about the messaging for the campaign, not laying down the entire roadmap. The message has to be about breaking a cycle of cynicism and defeatism about what is possible instead of just spinning the tyres in the mud. I think it's a message that could seriously resonate.

Last edited:

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all valid but isn't really a counterpoint to anything I said to be honest. I have a degree with honours in Political Science and Public Policy and in the past have worked in government agencies with the specific focus of changing the culture of regulation and reform government wide (in social, environmental and economic policy spheres). It's a tough beat. I only mention all that to demonstrate that I am far from blind as to the enormity of the challenge. I'm not saying it's something that will happen over night. Weber was right when he said that politics is the slow boring of hard boards.

But hard is not a synonym for impossible. It does have to start somewhere, and as my post said, I'm talking specifically about the messaging for the campaign, not laying down the entire roadmap. The message has to be about breaking a cycle of cynicism and defeatism about what is possible instead of just spinning the tyres in the mud. I think it's a message that could seriously resonate.

You're replying to someone who has a political ideaology summed up by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probably best to disengage to be honest. People that think the broken system is some immovable object are the exact reason that such a perception prevails.

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Just take the L and try not to use victims of sexual harassment as a political prop in the future. I don't even understand how you can twist what I said into me suggesting that sexual harassment should be normalized and accepted. I strongly believe the exact opposite.

Based on the crass way you have broached this subject from the get go it's more than fair to suggest you have ulterior motives.

I don't really care what you say about my motives. I happen to actually know them, so it doesn't matter much to me what you think about them.

One of us has said that all sexual harassment issues should be investigated for all Democratic candidates, and one of us has said that all the people who say they care about the sexual harassment issues in Bernie's campaign are lying and should be ignored, so I'm happy to let others judge which of us has corrupt motivations.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Hillary was not a one off fuck up, shes shown history of this and her personal disregard for victims shouldnt give people confidence in her position on the issue. However lets use Kamala Harris who did not vet a top aide for his history of Harrasement and this happened in an environment that should have better HR procedures. Making statements that Bernie is worse by viewing the outcomes in a vacuum does not say who is better on the issue.

That's fair about Hillary, I agree Kamala fucked up here but neither have the wide scope of ignoring sexual harassment or lacking a HR department for these issues like he did. You're still saying what they did was worse, however. That was the biggest contention in my first reply. This is why I call what Bernie did "scattershot" as it was all over his campaign, rather than laser focused fuck up's.

This is all valid but isn't really a counterpoint to anything I said to be honest. I have a degree in Political Science and Public Policy and have worked in government agencies with the specific focus of changing the culture of regulation and reform government wide . I'd not saying it's something that will happen over night.

But it does have to start somewhere, and as my post said, I'm talking specifically about the messaging for the campaign, not laying down the entire roadmap. The message has to be about breaking a cycle of cynicism and defeatism about what is possible instead of just spinning the tyres in the mud.

I can agree with that.

You're replying to someone who has a political ideaology summed up by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then you haven't been paying attention, I've never been shy about what my ideology is or where I stand in politics.

Probably best to disengage to be honest. People that think the broken system is some immovable object are the exact reason that such a perception prevails.

I never said it was an immovable object, I'm acknowledging how large the obstacle it is to reform rather than acting like it'll be knocked off in a couple of days through some tweets. If the system was as fragile as you're framing why isn't it at least half way being shaped into what your vision is? It's a perception based on reality, real reform requires you to fully understand the complexity and power it welds and have the proper implementing force to do the job it won't be done by simply changing peoples minds one at a time, as if all it was is a mindset. The bureaucracy won't suddenly disappear by getting people to agree with you, that's the first step - the next step is getting them to the heavy lifting in changing the bureaucracy brick by brick on the inside. Which politicians like Warren, Bernie and AOC are doing little by little.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
It's so funny the sexual harassment campaign keeps getting brought up when the one accused herself say it's unfortunate everyone keeps the narrative that this issue is specific to Bernie when she is saying it's society as a whole.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's so funny the sexual harassment campaign keeps getting brought up when the one accused herself say it's unfortunate everyone keeps the narrative that this issue is specific to Bernie when she is saying it's society as a whole.

Who's saying it's not? What occurring in Bernie's campaign is sad, but hardly an instance where it is inappropriate, as he's running for POTUS. This is not an either/or issue regarding campaigning, it's like any other mistake candidates make in this race - it will be scrutinised and judged accordingly. Loyalty is nice, but because she has a soft spot for the guy isn't a sign that we all should shrug our shoulders and move on.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
This NYT article about Warren's announcement today brought my attention to Ocasio-Cortez's answer during Thursday's MSNBC interview describing her position on Warren's Native American claim.
Some activists within the party seem to have been satisfied by Ms. Warren's apology.
Asked about the issue on Thursday, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the freshman congresswoman from New York who is seen as a leader of the leftist movement within the party, said on MSNBC that it had not shaken her confidence in Ms. Warren and that Ms. Warren still had time to talk about the difference between recounting her personal history and claiming an identity.
"I look forward to her modeling a public learning process and uplifting those voices," Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said.
Hopefully Warren's model has a different definition for "uplifting those voices" than AOC and Bernie had in their primary of KS03 last year.
Here's AOC's full answer(question at 3:17):

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw a Facebook advertisement for a Beto event this Monday. It will be about immigration and the border apparently.

Oct 26, 2017

Feel like he would try to hype up an announcement to run a bit more than this, but at the same time media would do all the work for him in a second. He did say he would have deciding on running by the end of February, so wonder if we'll hear anything on that here? Border and immigration are going to be massive topics of debate in 2020, so this would be an appropriate venue for an announcement...

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Feel like he would try to hype up an announcement to run a bit more than this, but at the same time media would do all the work for him in a second. He did say he would have deciding on running by the end of February, so wonder if we'll hear anything on that here? Border and immigration are going to be massive topics of debate in 2020, so this would be an appropriate venue for an announcement...

Given his biggest strength is campaigning, out on the trail, he should announce ASAP if he's running. His relevance is just fading in the meantime.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw a Facebook advertisement for a Beto event this Monday. It will be about immigration and the border apparently.
Given his biggest strength is campaigning, out on the trail, he should announce ASAP if he's running. His relevance is just fading in the meantime.

"Prioritize Central American Foreign Policy" sure seems like he's about to announce a Texas run, not a US one.

Oct 26, 2017
For sure, but he is already a pretty recognizable name among the general voting populous to the point where he's polling around 8-9% support without even announcing an intention to run and people already have a favorable impression of him. While the sooner the better, I think anytime in February would work just fine for him, he's just got to be careful of getting overshadowed by a Bernie or Biden announcement.

Also, this blurb on the event makes me think an announcement is a no:
Wear white and Join us for a peaceful and vocal protest!

Monday February 11, El Pasoans, led by Border Network for Human Rights, Women's March El Paso, Congresswoman Veronica Escobar and former Congressman Beto O'Rourke, along with more than 45 other community partners, will take to the streets in a unified, peaceful March for Truth and to celebrate the El Paso community.

Borderland residents will begin peacefully gathering along San Marcial Street next to Bowie High School at 5:00 p.m. A brief rally featuring area leaders and community voices including Congresswoman Veronica Escobar, will begin at 5:30 p.m.; followed by a peaceful march and culminating in a celebration of community at Chalio Acosta Park on Shelter Place where Beto O'Rourke will address the community. We will unite to enjoy music, entertainment, and great company with the backdrop of our vibrant, multi-cultural region.

Women's March El Paso is coordinating with a group of more than 60 local musicians including Fixed Idea, Radio La Chusma, Sinbuenos, mariachis and more to bring the Border region to life in South El Paso. We look forward to showcasing our local talent and creating a family-friendly event that El Paso will be proud to promote to the rest of America.

El Paso is a strong and safe community because of its people and its values. Border communities are a place of opportunity and hope. Trump's fixation on a border wall and his distortions of life in El Paso and along the border are unacceptable. Our communities will always stand to include immigrants, oppose racism, and defend the truth. All of us must make a choice about whether we stand up for the truth or allow Trump to degrade our dignity and rights.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto trying another Texas run would be welcome. He did pretty well last time
He lost because he lost ground with Hispanic voters relative to Hillary. Unlike in Florida, where Nelson wasn't campaigning to them and Scott was, there's actually an excuse (Cruz's background) and on top of that, Cornyn is less well known relative to Cruz in Texas (the same way Nelson was less well known than Rubio) suggesting there's an opening here vs Cornyn that wasn't there vs Cruz.

Oct 26, 2017
He lost because he lost ground with Hispanic voters relative to Hillary. Unlike in Florida, where Nelson wasn't campaigning to them and Scott was, there's actually an excuse (Cruz's background) and on top of that, Cornyn is less well known relative to Cruz in Texas (the same way Nelson was less well known than Rubio) suggesting there's an opening here vs Cornyn that wasn't there vs Cruz.
I've heard Cornyn is pretty popular or at least well regarded in Texas, whereas Cruz was pretty disliked considering he's a slimy bastard and all, which is what gave Beto the opportunity he had to flip the seat. Beto may have more momentum going into 2020, but I feel like if he couldn't take down Cruz, he can't take down Cornyn unless he gets lucky.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard Cornyn is pretty popular or at least well regarded in Texas, whereas Cruz was pretty disliked considering he's a slimy bastard and all, which is what gave Beto the opportunity he had to flip the seat. Beto may have more momentum going into 2020, but I feel like if he couldn't take down Cruz, he can't take down Cornyn unless he gets lucky.
I think this is the CW among Dems/older voters, but it doesn't actually gel with the polling. Cruz is more popular than both Cornyn and Trump in Texas.

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is the CW among Dems/older voters, but it doesn't actually gel with the polling. Cruz is more popular than both Cornyn and Trump in Texas.
Interesting, another senate run is probably best for Beto anyway, although it would be very interesting to see him in the primaries. Kamala looks like she's shaping up to be a pretty strong contender and flipping a seat in Texas blue would be great. However, putting Beto on the VP ticket may work a miracle in Texas if that's something Dems feel they need to go for.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

The event seems about showing opposition to the admins policies and Donnie's presence in the city.
Beto was one of the strong early voices helping raise national awareness of and against zero tolerance, the internment facilities, and the effects on families and children. The admin still can't, won't or tries to rationalize keeping the children seized from zero tolerance from being returned to their families. I hope this event has a large attendance to send a message against the admins policies, lies and racism regardless of anything to do with Beto announcing.
That said, lots of energetic anticipation in support for a Beto bid in the thread though. His base seems ready to go. Congresswoman Veronica Escobar's presence at the event makes it seem she's possibly an early endorsement. Maybe this could be leading up to a formal rally/announcement if portents look good next weekend or after?
When does he have to announce for a Texas run?

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/us/politics/2020-democrats-campaign-funding.html

LJfN4rM.jpg

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good message but not much about future building.

Warren harping on the past too much does nothing to shore up the future.

I don't know, future building seemed to be her entire message. saying trump isn't the cause of all of our problems, merely the most extreme recent symptom aka beating trump is just the beginning. wants big, structural change. rejects those goals being considered radical. change is coming. etc. all future building. even the undo past bullshit is for a better future. pretty much connected to every word she said.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Oh, this thing with Warren happened already. Glad someone mentioned it.
Hope her planned big structural changes don't inadvertently crush "the wrong people" with her focus on class warfare.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I loved Warrens speech today, I hope she can avoid falling into the Jeb! pit of fuckups. I prefer her vastly over the likes of Kamala, Klobucher and especially fucking Booker and Biden. Also I'm hyped as fuck for Bernie

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Liz needs to drop NOW. She is going to set this country back decades further every second she's in this race getting rolled by Trump.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liz needs to drop NOW. She is going to set this country back decades further every second she's in this race getting rolled by Trump.
The primary will take care of that itself. If she isn't electable enough to beat Trump (and she likely is not able to beat Trump) she won't win the primary.

Don't worry, things will play themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.