• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's more specific than most of the answers I've seen him give up to this point.

multi-payer, decriminalize marijuana, expunge records of those arrested for it, and universal pre-k.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone asked Beto that and he said he does, that if his staff wanted to unionize he'd support it.
I mean, given how temporary the positions are unionizing seems kinda pointless to me. Not that it hurts, but I don't think it's going to provide people in the union much benefit since... 99% of them will only be on for a year and a half at most and most even less than that.

I keep hearing Beto carried over 4.5 million from his Senate campaign. Is this true or false?

False. DNC can't give more than 5k to Beto.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Bernie hiring people that are plugged-in to his existing base of support is not a scandal, especially since his other hires to this point have been largely pretty good and designed to shore up some of his weaknesses from last time. "Voted for Jill Stein in a safe state" is just about the mildest political sin I can imagine.

Honestly, Cheebo, I do not remember you being so over-the-top and abrasive in your political proclamations in the past, is my memory faulty or has Trump in the White House pushed you into overdrive?

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Lmao the questioner is part of "rose" twitter.
Still good on her to hammer him on it and get some positions out there especially given the crowd probably wasn't "friendly" torwards her.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie hiring people that are plugged-in to his existing base of support is not a scandal, especially since his other hires to this point have been largely pretty good and designed to shore up some of his weaknesses from last time.

Honestly, Cheebo, I do not remember you being so over-the-top and abrasive in your political proclamations in the past, is my memory faulty or has Trump in the White House pushed you into overdrive?
Trump being in the White House has absolutely done that. We need a candidate who can not only beat him but have coattails in the south and southwest where nearly all of the competitive senate races are so we can retake the senate. If only to be able to pack the lower courts to undo the damage Trump has done to them.

If we don't take those competitive south and southwest senate seats its impossible to get anything done.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ABC News
ABC
"When are we going to get an actual policy from you, instead of just platitudes and nice stories?" Beto O'Rourke is asked.

O'Rourke discusses health care, education, criminal justice reform: "I'm trying to describe not just the goal...but the path that we will take to get there"

"An actual policy?" Did an ERA member ask that question?

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"An actual policy?" Did an ERA member ask that question?
Individual donors question is a dead giveaway it's a Bernie supporter and I'm not surprised since he even sends out stuff like saying he probably beat Beto in individual donations in his fundraising emails, giving supporters something to latch on to.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

ABC News
ABC
"When are we going to get an actual policy from you, instead of just platitudes and nice stories?" Beto O'Rourke is asked.

O'Rourke discusses health care, education, criminal justice reform: "I'm trying to describe not just the goal...but the path that we will take to get there"

This question is pointless simply because there is no answer he could give that would prevent "HE HAS NO POLICIES UNLIKE ____ (my candidate)" being their eternal go to talking point for the next 18 months. It's not about policies, and it's not about wanting an answer.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Cheebo, you quiped yesterday that you found it odd that I stand strong with Williamson. I've been reflecting on that since last night and how to explain it. It's not just about a shared spiritual interest. It's not simply a matter of her political views or her history or how she conducts herself. It's a combination of these things and more that is maybe not easily definable.
I'd heard of her previously(I worked at a metaphysical bookstore in the early 90s) but her material and ACIM were something that I hadn't gotten around to studying. So I'm not previously a follower of her work and carrying it forward. In fact, I snarkily dismissed her candidacy when I first heard of it in the thread.
This article published today covers a bit of what I find compelling about her and I chose sections to quote that I find resonate with me. But it is more than these. I think what finally convinced me to make my sword hers was a combination of learning of her work with people suffering of AIDS in the 80s combined with the effect she appears to be having on the national conversation and some of her recent metaphysical statements. Anyways, maybe these few quotes pulled from the article or the article itself(it's a long one) may give you and others insight into why people would want to get to know and support Williamson once they do.

Marianne Williamson is famous in that way where you either know deeply who she is, or you have no idea.
On a recent Saturday in a bright, narrow room in Iowa, Williamson — striking at 66, in a cream turtleneck under a dark velvet blazer — stood and watched as a thirtysomething man in jeans told a crowd of about 30 Jefferson County Democrats that, until he was asked to introduce Williamson at this event, he'd never heard of her.
And here we come to why people know Williamson. As the little Marianne Williamson flyers say, "There is a groundswell of people in America who are seeking higher wisdom." On this Saturday, after her speech, when she was answering questions (why did she say she supports a green new deal, rather than the Green New Deal, and so forth), an older man got on the mic, and it came full circle on this bright, cold afternoon in Iowa.
"I heard you say," he began like he might argue an arcane point, "that it's a great idea to spend five minutes sending your love from your heart to everyone in America. I started doing it. I'm just amazed at how much more I love just…the people around me. This guy. These people."
"We love each other," he said. "It wasn't real until I started doing that. So it's big. You're big."
Over the last three decades, Williamson has published 13 books mostly on personal spirituality, the most popular of which feature granite titles (A Return to Love; A Woman's Worth; The Age of Miracles) that sound more like Edwardian novels or Tina Turner singles than self-help books. They're metaphysical, not Christian, but concern your relationship with God.
They're somehow both a little cheesy and radical. In 1992's A Return to Love, sin is an "archery term" that "means 'you missed the mark,'" and "the term crucifixion means the energy pattern of fear," which "represents the limited, negative thinking of the ego" — rather than, e.g., the inherent fallibility of our hearts, redeemed through Christ's sacrifice on the literal cross. Based on A Course in Miracles, a 1976 book by Helen Schucman, a psychologist who said Jesus had dictated the book to her, A Return to Love considers miracles as achievable shifts in perception. Aside from some everything is an illusion talk, A Return to Love offers firm guidance: love others, forgive others, devote your life to a power beyond yourself (specifically, God), don't put your faith in material things, believe in the egalitarian dignity of your own life.
She sold cassettes of her lectures in the '80s, then books in the early '90s that she continues publishing. You could see her in person, too, for a suggested fee ($7, then $15, waived if you couldn't pay). These lectures, in part, grew out of work she did with gay men with HIV and AIDS during the peak of the crisis in '80s Los Angeles; Williamson also founded a nonprofit in the '80s that brought and still brings meals to those who are seriously ill. (She now sits on the board of trust.)
Most people still identify as religious in public polling, but secular affiliation continues to tick upward. Church attendance continues to decline, for reasons both mysterious and reasonable (e.g., sex abuse scandals, or how welcome LGBT people or their friends and family feel). As Ross Douthat pointed out last year, the current trend lines follow the Easter gospels across denomination: The women stay, the men flee. But Oprah's nondenominational Christian, somewhat-Eastern approach to spirituality, Douthat wrote, continues to grow.
And why wouldn't it? Last year, in her big examination of Gwyneth Paltrow's business, Taffy Brodesser-Akner argued the full range of Big Wellness, from the reasonable to the quackery, addresses the gap between what ails you and what the US health care system and popular press provide about your life. This kind of dynamic seems to extend into other, less tangible spaces: About three-quarters of people who call themselves atheists, agnostics, or nothing in particular still say they believed in a higher power of some kind. The endurance of Williamson and others championed by Oprah speak to the pull toward something larger and more structured. Invariably, in life, something bad happens, or nothing ever seems to happen, and who does not then wonder about the context of their own troubles and purpose.
"The things that I talked about 30, 35 years ago were marginalized," Williamson said in an interview, right after her third event of the day. "'New Age guru,' 'fringe.' Today, you're considered fringe if you don't know that conversation. Today, a holistic, more whole-person perspective is considered — we're in the 21st century now."
Here in the 21st century, though, Williamson campaigns for president in small rooms, private spaces in the back of restaurants, comfortable house parties in living rooms, at the end of 14-hour days. This particular swing was through places in Iowa where Williamson wouldn't be expected to bring 'em out, and Williamson is someone who treats a small room with the same close attention as a large one, but still. If this is ultimately about selling books (Williamson has one coming out later this year), you can't accuse her of not working for the sale.
It's good that she's talking about reparations, one man told her in Des Moines, but he wanted to know: How would she convince Republicans?
"Well, if I'm president, and you've got a Republican House and a Republican Senate, it's going to be a tough slog," she replied to laughs, then noted that while they were already changing the conversation, she wanted to make sure other candidates weren't just coopting the disruptive language because "that's cool this week." (Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris had both recently said they were for reparations.)
This practical haziness is an occasional feature of Williamson's approach; she argues the country does not need a "political mechanic" at this moment, but someone to change the conversation, invoking an FDR line about the presidency entailing "moral leadership" more than anything else.
And thus, the one-two, action-reaction, push-pull approach to the country's racial history. How to address racism in America has been a fairly standard part of Williamson's career for at least two decades. In 1997's The Healing of America, which advocated for national atonement over slavery, she noted apologies are spiritual first; the 20th anniversary update of the book (now Healing the Soul of America) combines the apology theme with a historical case — addressed, essentially, to white America — that there is a moral and economic debt to black America left unpaid.
In Carroll, Iowa, one attendee asked Williamson about why she felt "called" to run for president — noting how well Williamson speaks about what the woman elegantly termed the "inner landscape." (Williamson's answer, after mentioning that running for president would entail "inevitable" embarrassment: "I am seeking to answer the same call that I know everyone in this room is seeking to answer: Who would God have me be, and what would love have me do?")
At another event, held in the entryway of the Donna Reed Theatre in Denison, under black-and-white studio portraits of Cary Grant and Myrna Loy, only 10 people showed up — but three of them had driven hours to see the candidate on a brutal, -3-degree windchill morning. Williamson, one of these women said, "reignited my entire focus in life." Another attendee, a thirtysomething man, told Williamson before the event, "I'm not religious, but I like what you said about spirituality."
A few minutes after we'd finished with the interview, Williamson came back and said she wanted to add something about anxiety. "Most anxiety," she said, "is ultimately rooted in not having deeply realized the purpose of our lives." In her estimation, "the purpose of life is to love other people," and until you submit yourself to that, anxiety is inevitable. She said that to me, very gently, as I held, as though it were a science fair posterboard, a giant silver reflector for someone about to take her photo.
But who am I to argue? These things Marianne Williamson has advocated over the years — to forgive others, to love others, to believe in the dignity of your existence — can only be laughed at if you're not taking your own life seriously. There are worse things to sell.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Well we know now at least how Beto does 50 town halls a day and then drives to the next state all night.

It is crazy how he does that. He drove from Ohio to PA in the middle of the night last night and is running around doing events today. The night before he drove from Wisconsin to Michigan at night and did like 4 events in Michigan yesterday. Then drove to Ohio and did 3 events there that evening yesterday as well.

Beto hitting the right states at the start. To take back the White House you need the Rust Belt (Or at least, some form of it)

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ya'll going to try pushing Briahna as good still? Not only did she vote third party in the general election....she sided with Trump on Russian hacking against the Democrats. In the general election.

Cool. Cool. Cool.

At least she didn't delete her tweets and I'm sure she will respond/address questions/concerns about them. Which is more that can be said about Sirota.

Mar 9, 2018
Yep, and in fact, Clinton was planning on elevating her rapist husband in her hypothetical administration. That wouldn't be the best hire, to put it politely. And that she retains association with him and that Democrats welcome these people with applause when they see them remains disturbing.
I personally think the Russia line of attack happens to be a waste of directed energy as nothing may end up coming out of it, especially if the intent is to sway Trump voters away from Trump, it won't accomplish that. The problem with what Briahna did is go as far as to deny the Russia thing or act like it's not a problem at all. Pretty stupid thing to do, I wonder what she thinks about it now though, I don't like throwing people under the bus based off years old posts.

I think the Russia attack line is important because Russia interfering in the elections is important. And because it animates the base, too. Delegitimizes his presidency, which is a good thing -- it deserves to be delegitimized.

Kind of related to that, I worry about the Mueller report. I don't trust Republicans. I don't trust this country to hold its oligarchs and the powerful accountable. I think Trump is obviously guilty of collusion or something related to that based on what he's done, that we know of. There is likely way more happening that we don't know about. I wouldn't believe a Mueller report that suggested anything close to clearing him. But I worry about a Mueller report exonerating him anyway. Whether because of a bad faith cover up or Mueller's team being unable to find enough evidence or the administration successfully destroying it or hiding it, there's a lot of potential ways for Trump to walk free from this. Reagan and Iran Contra come to mind.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost any other candidate would have defeated Trump. Most candidates would not have had james Comey anouncing that a federal investigation was opened on them days before people got yo vote.
Unfortunately Clinton was carrying some heavy baggage on her and at the end it costed her.

Well if Bernie got the nomination, he would have fallen in the shower during one of his hotel stays before campaigning, gone into a concussion and never woken up, allowing Trump to win.

I can make up what if scenarios too.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
You're pretty wrong, then:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...vote-what-does-that-mean-for-his-chances-now/

And, to be fair, that's not greatly out of line from previous presidential runs primary to general turnout. That being said a, let's say, John McCain has a much better general perception than Trump.

Ahh. it's not filtering out by democratic voters - just all voters who voted in the democratic primary (which are not the same thing, especially as you get later in the breakdown into certain states). Makes sense at that point, considering every state after Indiana had no GOP primary election to vote for.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The former's enough. And if nothing else, she dismissed them and their accusations, did she not?
She did dismiss them and their accusations, but she did that as a wife wanting to believe her husband, which is a vantage point neither you nor I have.

In general, I try to avoid talking about Bill's shit through the lens of Hillary; because love and marriage is tricky, and who knows why she chose to believe him and who knows why she stayed. Besides, a lot of this commentary has the implication of trying to tie Hillary in as a knowing accomplice and encourager of Bill's behavior (and not a victim in her own right), and that I find to be...well, pretty fucking gross.

There are plenty of roads to take to legitimately criticize Hillary Clinton without resorting to that old, well-worn, misogynistic one.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's actually no evidence of the latter.

I mean,

In an interview with the website, Breitbart, last week, Broaddrick recalled how Hillary Clinton held her hand and said to her, "I just want you to know how much Bill and I appreciate the things you do for him. Do you understand? Everything you do."

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/11/poli...donald-trump-bill-clinton-accusers/index.html

That's what Juanita Broaddrick says.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If true, that Sirota thing is some dirty ass shit. Unacceptable.

She did dismiss them and their accusations, but she did that as a wife wanting to believe her husband, which is a vantage point neither you nor I have.

In general, I try to avoid talking about Bill's shit through the lens of Hillary; because love and marriage is tricky, and who knows why she chose to believe him and who knows why she stayed. Besides, a lot of this commentary has the implication of trying to tie Hillary in as a knowing accomplice and encourager of Bill's behavior (and not a victim in her own right), and that I find to be...well, pretty fucking gross.

There are plenty of roads to take to legitimately criticize Hillary Clinton without resorting to that old, well-worn, misogynistic one.

I mean, you can't, or at least shouldn't, try to deflect criticism of Hillary's complicity with her husband's behavior against women, or her alleged intimidation of the victims, or slurs against the victims, by saying that this is a sexist line of attack. Hillary enabled her husband's abuses against other women. She's not the victim here. She's a perpetrator and enabler.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And yet it's funny that her opponent, we would later learn, was carrying even heavier baggage!

Ugh, I'm not trying to get any deeper into 2016. But the mere mention of James "Oh gosh golly, I hope I didn't have an effect on the outcome!" Comey makes my blood boil.
Unfortunately his oponents supporters are a heartless bunch and did not care. Also the whole perception that she had the election in the bag did not help ger at all. After the commey thing those the problem were not those that voted against her the problem were those who did not vote at all.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Criticizing someone for dismissing multiple accusations of abuse is not misogyny. It doesn't matter if you're a husband, wife, sister, brother, whatever.

Are you saying this is a sexist thing to do? Call someone out for dismissing allegations of sexual assault?

Because fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.