• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about "economic anxiety" is that it is too broad to meaningfully use as an explanation for groups swayed by racial messaging in my opinion. Racial messaging is largely social. People can not be in economic hardship and still be coaxed into being "economically anxious," which is what fox news and alt-right messaging largely succeeds in.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. Maybe I'm just too cynical. But I personally am just kind of sick of navel gazing about shitty racist people and their "reasons" for being shitty racists. Especially in the wake of a shitty racist massacring a bunch of people in one of the countries I consider home.
I understand, but the liberal "policy" of "wait for them to die out" is clearly not working as planned, and if it is working it's happening too slow to prevent preventable tragedies like Christchurch.

I only care about their reasons in so far as it will give me insight on how to stop it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

The tides might be finally turning against AIPAC.

The way I see it, we still have a long way to go. Ignoring the fact that progressives will be first and hopefully dragging moderates to the left on Israel... first we have to acknowledge AIPAC is a problem but then Im worried once we do we'll just be at a point where dems are still closely allied with Israel, just not sucking from AIPAC's teats so some people will consider the issue over.

We still need to push against Israel's current govt and then after that confronting the atrocities and issues since before its inception.

Still. We're getting there.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
She also had a pretty hard right stance on immigration up until like 2012 and immediately flipped when she tried to achieve bigger office. She comes off incredibly fake and just says whatever is good politically for her
First I heard about that. I just did a search on her stance.
It looks like she'd started changing her views by 2017 at least. Not sure for how long she's been considering a run for President but maybe the incoming admin at the time helped her realize how awful her position on the issue was previously.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Gillibrand changed her stances pretty much as soon as she began representing all of NY instead of shitty racist upstate NY. Chamellibrand.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
we'll just be at a point where dems are still closely allied with Israel, just not sucking from AIPAC's teats so some people will consider the issue over.
It'll always happen. There's always going to be people who want problems to be "solved" in their lifetime instead of looking at it as a generational struggle.

Comfort impedes progress, which is ironic because progress (my idea of it) attempts to give everyone comfort. Struggle is forged in pain and suffering.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gillibrand changed her stances pretty much as soon as she began representing all of NY instead of shitty racist upstate NY. Chamellibrand.
Yeah and I got that and agreed with it. The issue was after she announced her presidential campaign the stuff about sexual misconduct in her own office came out and she gave a terrible response towards Omar.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I don't know. Maybe I'm just too cynical. But I personally am just kind of sick of navel gazing about shitty racist people and their "reasons" for being shitty racists. Especially in the wake of a shitty racist massacring a bunch of people in one of the countries I consider home.

Is racism and implicit bias a learned behaviour, yes. But it's learned at a pretty young age. And I'd frankly rather see someone win without courting a bunch of racists, and then just forcefeeding them policy that will help them as well as all the people of colour or other minorities they hate.

As the study showed, most people voted for Trump just because he was a Republican. His remaining voters voted for him because his anti-trade/anti-immigration rhetoric fed into their sense of status endangerment, which is much broader than (but still includes) racism.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Which study. There are like a dozen studies now showing that racial resentment (and hostile sexism) were strong predictors of Trump support, while economic distress was not.

I'm aware that partisan polarisation is basically the biggest predictor of support.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The thing about "economic anxiety" is that it is too broad to meaningfully use as an explanation for groups swayed by racial messaging in my opinion. Racial messaging is largely social. People can not be in economic hardship and still be coaxed into being "economically anxious," which is what fox news and alt-right messaging largely succeeds in.

For those SDO voters, racial anxiety, globalization anxiety, gender anxiety, economic anxiety, etc.. Are all part of a broader perception that their social statuses are under threat. Doesn't change the fact that they're bigoted, but it is what it is.

Also, economic hardship != economic anxiety. The former is material and the latter purely psychological (something Trump took advantage of).

Jan 15, 2019
Which study. There are like a dozen studies now showing that racial resentment (and hostile sexism) were strong predictors of Trump support, while economic distress was not.

I'm aware that partisan polarisation is basically the biggest predictor of support.
Yup. The average Trump voter had more money than the average Clinton voter. I think the closest accurate argument one could make to "economic anxiety" is maybe "social ladder anxiety" but that's basically just saying "it was racism" from a more neutral, structural standpoint.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird were talking about racism as it pertains to Trump voters but not anyone else. As a Black dude from NYC I've been affected more materially by more insidious forms of racism from liberal identifying folks and politicians than I have from overt racism from the cliche rural voter.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

This one:

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/19/E4330

And Social Dominance Orientation (SDO) seems to be the biggest predictor, which would encompass all forms of bigotry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_dominance_orientation

Yup. The average Trump voter had more money than the average Clinton voter. I think the closest accurate argument one could make to "economic anxiety" is maybe "social ladder anxiety" but that's basically just saying "it was racism" from a more neutral, structural standpoint.

The argument isn't that economic anxiety is the actual reason, just that it's a stated reason (from voters), and there's a logic behind that (Social Dominance Orientation), which is the social ladder that you're talking about. But social statuses cover more than just race.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird were talking about racism as it pertains to Trump voters but not anyone else. As a Black dude from NYC I've been affected more materially by more insidious forms of racism from liberal identifying folks and politicians than I have from overt racism from the cliche rural voter.
Racism within the liberal sphere is very real, and I highly doubt anyone in this thread would claim otherwise, but I certainly aren't seeing invocations of "economic anxiety" towards them either.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racism within the liberal sphere is very real, and I highly doubt anyone in this thread would claim otherwise, but I certainly aren't seeing invocations of "economic anxiety" towards them either.
I'm not talking about the economic anxiety meme. I'm just pointing as you say that racism is very real in the liberal sphere, as you say, and often cemented by democrats and democratic voters but we don't see that same energy I'm saying here on the last few pages of this thread in frankly calling that out.

Jan 15, 2019
The argument isn't that economic anxiety is the actual reason, just that it's a stated reason (from voters), and there's a logic behind that (Social Dominance Orientation), which is the social ladder that you're talking about. But social statuses cover more than just race.
I basically agree with that. Would also go some way toward explaining why like 14% of black men voted for Trump, a good bit more than the share Romney got, in addition to all the bigoted white folk.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I'm not talking about the economic anxiety meme. I'm just pointing as you say that racism is very real in the liberal sphere, as you say, and often cemented by democrats and democratic voters but we don't see that same energy I'm saying here on the last few pages of this thread in frankly calling that out.

This whole tangent got started because of some discussion about the political beliefs of one of Sanders new hires, which then went in the direction of Trump voters. I didn't intentionally leave out the criticism of racism on the left

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I basically agree with that. Would also go some way toward explaining why like 14% of black men voted for Trump, a good bit more than the share Romney got, in addition to all the bigoted white folk.

Yeah, that's the thing, SDO could apply to anyone, though it's more common with men. Especially straight, white, men who are well-off.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, well I definitely agree that the energy tends to not be on the other foot.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, why don't you call it out then? I'm all for calling out racism everywhere I see it, no matter their political affiliation.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beto hitting every county in New Hampshire on his first visit, eight stops in South Carolina this weekend and three rallies across Texas on his official launch day next Saturday. He and his team will definitely connect with as many voters as they can by the time the primaries begin.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Beto hitting every county in New Hampshire on his first visit, eight stops in South Carolina this weekend and three rallies across Texas on his official launch day next Saturday. He and his team will definitely connect with as many voters as they can by the time the primaries begin.
Everyone's worried about Biden or Bernie dying prematurely but jesus.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had Beto's energy

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made a thread yesterday about NYC schools being segregated as fuck and not a soul posted in it.

Check my post history and my thread history

That is indeed outrageous (but sadly not unsurprising anymore). I didn't see that thread, and I guess it got buried rather quickly for not being sensationalist enough. I can't claim to be an expert on the issue - I think my knowledge is limited to watching a John Oliver (I think?) clip on it and reading a few articles some years back - but I can only agree that these issues don't get enough attention.

Forgive my rather confrontational post, I assumed you were talking about a specific issue regarding the Primary, not the ignoring of some blatant racial issues in general by the public.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Has Sirota's history with AIPAC been dismissed as just a job and irrelevant to Sanders?
It's not at all considered a signal of support for AIPAC from the campaign?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Beto is going to be on the road permanently. His physical endurance is ridiculous.

Let's see if he can transition from coffee shops to arenas and stadiums.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has Sirota's history with AIPAC been dismissed as just a job and irrelevant to Sanders?
It's not at all considered a signal of support for AIPAC from the campaign?
he said he worked for AIPAC for 4 months when he was 23 years old. I think it should be dismissed. If you're curious about what Bernie's foreign policy would look like wrt Isreal, we should look at his foreign policy advisor, Matt Duss.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to see that Buttigieg achieved 3% on the poll that was posted not too long ago. Any bit of momentum he has before the debates is good. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.