• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never suggested that. I thought your entire argument to begin with hinged on the productivity of public and private healthcare? Beto O'Rourke has never suggested he wants to insure all his fellow citizens. Nothing about his career as a politician or belief system suggests he believes in private healthcare, or anything, beings its own good. Why are you defending him so hard?
Read my posts over the last two pages and get back to me on whether or not I'm defending Beto. But I'm not sure what's so hard to believe that he's in favor of universal healthcare? Like, even from a purely cold calculating perspective, why would you even do a healthcare overhaul as a democrat if your intention wasn't to insure everyone? If you can't point to a "uninsured numbers" have decreased to 0.2% bit, then what's the point? You certainly haven't won more voters.

If you're going to legislate the public option to be equivalent to the quality of private insurance, why even have a private option? Would it just be for cosmetic surgeries and the like?

And I doubt that would actually be possible, as long as a profit motive exists the door is always open for exploitation.
You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm saying you could legislate that the public option be accepted at clinics. Not legislate equivalent quality. That would be stupid.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto is just like a human jar of mayonnaise at the moment. Maybe once Biden hops in he'll look better.

Michael Brooks made a good point yesterday, which is that if you want a young, charismatic white guy you should be looking at Pete. The only reason people aren't is because he's gay.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This thread is highly entertaining. He doesn't have a position on Brexit and hasn't released his tax returns 36 hours into his campaign? What a f'ing monster!

Some of you have no chill.
He's running for president and cant even put out a platitude position on a major economic and social upheaval of our closest ally that he's had years to reflect on which was primarily voted by racism due to immigration after running on an anti-racist,pro-immigration platform ~5 months ago. Not to mention his wishy washy bullshit on literally every major issue along with his treatment of Will Hurd and you have to wonder what his purpose even is.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
I've been mostly pro-Beto, but these waffling answers are real bad politics. I can't imagine not locking down a firm policy platform before running for president. This isn't the time for "finding yourself."

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
He's running for president and cant even put out a platitude position on a major economic and social upheaval of our closest ally that he's had years to reflect on which was primarily voted by racism due to immigration after running on an anti-racist,pro-immigration platform ~5 months ago. Not to mention his wishy washy bullshit on literally every major issue along with his treatment of Will Hurd and you have to wonder what his purpose even is.

I've just never seen people out to eviscerate someone so hard in politics not named Trump. With half of these posts, I could not tell you whether I'm reading Era or Fox News comments.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've just never seen people out to eviscerate someone so hard in politics not named Trump. With half of these posts, I could not tell you whether I'm reading Era or Fox News comments.
This is eviscerating? Give me a break. He's self-eviscerating

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto is just like a human jar of mayonnaise at the moment. Maybe once Biden hops in he'll look better.

Michael Brooks made a good point yesterday, which is that if you want a young, charismatic white guy you should be looking at Pete. The only reason people aren't is because he's gay.

Buttigieg is, IMO, a better speaker, even. Certainly has much better policies so far.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell do you define as "universal" healthcare? I define it as having a system that provides people with life saving surgery right then and there.
I called it pedantic because that's something you can safely assume will be covered given context. Even the shittiest of insurance covers life-saving surgery.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
well you've been here since 2017 so I don't believe this at all

Has it been that long already? Just an impression. I've seen all the Kamala, Klobuchar, Warren, etc announcements and they kinda come and go and there are comments or jokes here and there. The toxicity to Beto's first two days is just...different. Not sure what to think of it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is that really it? I think it's just because he hasn't had his "moment". Beto did with his Senate race. Kamala made hers when she ran and built up a "divisive" record before hand, and being "divisive" is good for eyeballs.

Buttigieg seems to be struggling to break out in this sense because he hasn't been in the game long enough or he hasn't had the right mix of controversy + hype.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Has it been that long already? Just an impression. I've seen all the Kamala, Klobuchar, Warren, etc announcements and they kinda come and go and there are comments or jokes here and there. The toxicity to Beto's first two days is just...different. Not sure what to think of it.
Well none have immediately flopped as hard as Beto. Well except Gabbard, Gillibrand and Booker but they've been called out as well and also have a less than 1% shot at winning the primary. Beto is actually popular so naturally people are gonna be more scared/hostile when he does constantly dumb shit.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

allow me to show you a couple of threads about a candidate named Bernie Sanders

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bernie-sanders-set-to-announce-2020-presidential-run.95780/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bernie-sanders-will-run-again-in-2020.100566/

that second one got to 79 pages!

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

I'd say it's more that similar to Bernie at this point last cycle people barely know who the fuck he is, and he lacks the advantage Bernie had of a mostly-empty field. Give it a few debates and he might pick up some momentum.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is that really it? I think it's just because he hasn't had his "moment". Beto did with his Senate race. Kamala made hers when she ran and built up a "divisive" record before hand, and being "divisive" is good for eyeballs.

Buttigieg seems to be struggling to break out in this sense because he hasn't been in the game long enough or he hasn't had the right mix of controversy + hype.
He's also a mayor who had pretty much 0 national attention before he announced. Idk about others here but I never knew he existed until January or whenever he anmounced

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017

Look at it this way, right now we're trying to decide who is going to lead the Democratic Party. To lead the party, you need to have a pretty good idea of where you want to take it. Someone who says "uhhh, I don't know, I gotta think about it" at this stage is pretty alarming. You make those decisions before you announce.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

He wants to persecute whistleblowers. I don't imagine you need to dig much deeper to find even more egregious things. Fuck that guy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'd say it's more that similar to Bernie at this point last cycle people barely know who the fuck he is, and he lacks the advantage Bernie had of a mostly-empty field. Give it a few debates and he might pick up some momentum.
Disagree. Beto is announcing with a stronger support base and popularity than Bernie in 2016 and he's slowly going downwards.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Well none have immediately flopped as hard as Beto. Well except Gabbard, Gillibrand and Booker but they've been called out as well and also have a less than 1% shot at winning the primary. Beto is actually popular so naturally people are gonna be more scared/hostile when he does constantly dumb shit.

Thing is, I'm not convinced of that. Should he have an answer on Brexit? Probably. Is it in anyone's top 10, or probably even top 25 list of concerns about the US right now? Shouldn't be.

This thread has come off more South Park "rabble rabble rabble!" than it has anything else. We're still 599 days to election day. Still a lot of room for all the candidates.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown

With less than 11 months until the New Hampshire primary, the list of Democratic presidential candidates is only getting longer (15 and counting!). Contenders are already hiring senior staff and making multiple campaign visits to the first-in-the-nation primary state, which has often served as a make-or-break contest for top candidates seeking their party's presidential nomination.
With that as a backdrop, here are the first rankings of the 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, ordered by their likelihood of winning the New Hampshire primary if it were held today (it's slated for Feb. 11, 2020). This list is based on interviews with activists and operatives in the state, recent polling, and an evaluation of the campaign's on-the-ground operation.
7. Marianne Williamson, author and spiritual guru
Yes, a person most readers will have to Google is already well ahead of sitting senators, Cabinet officials, and former governors in the New Hampshire rankings. Don't believe me? Just look at the overflow crowds of people who adore her and probably won't even consider voting for anyone else. It's clear by these counts that Williamson, Oprah Winfrey's spiritual adviser, enters the race with her own base of support, which can go a long way in a 20-candidate field. Also, it turned a lot of heads when former congressman Paul Hodes agreed to run her campaign in the state.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's also a mayor who had pretty much 0 national attention before he announced. Idk about others here but I never knew he existed until January or whenever he anmounced
Right, same. Kamala already had a bunch of Californian haters/supporters before she even ran. I only had to mention Kamala around a Californian e-buddy of mine and out came the vitriol. Bernie had his long record as (I) and 2016. Biden had Obama.

Buttigieg is fighting an uphill battle here.

He needs something crazy to happen, like running into a burning house to save a dog.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
you think this place is Fox News because a candidate is getting called out for being too conservative?
All of those posters are russian bots though

/s

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Yang/Williamson 2020

Give me a $12,000 a year UBI for video games and an oprah endorsed book of the month club while the world burns, baby!
Personally, I'd prefer the Black Hills to go back to the Sioux among many of Williamson's published positions. But it is encouraging that you want to read more. It might discourage you from taking opportunities to disparage women from the look of some of your posts.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd prefer the Black Hills to go back to the Sioux among many of Williamson's published positions. But it is encouraging that you want to read more. It might discourage you from taking opportunities to disparage women from the look of some of your posts.
Oh really? I'll look into her positions more because that's good. I've only seen her mentioned along with Yang as the current grassroots memish candidates, so I made a joke.

Not sure what comments disparaging women you're talking about, though.

Jan 15, 2019

I'm sure that's part of it, but he's also a minor political figure and tons of people aren't even remotely tuned in to the primaries yet. I have faith that he's going to do really well once debates are underway.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Thing is, I'm not convinced of that. Should he have an answer on Brexit? Probably. Is it in anyone's top 10, or probably even top 25 list of concerns about the US right now? Shouldn't be.

This thread has come off more South Park "rabble rabble rabble!" than it has anything else. We're still 599 days to election day. Still a lot of room for all the candidates.
He's a politician running for a position that has a large diplomat and foreign policy role. If he can't even describe Brexit I have 0 hope.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Oh really? I'll look into her positions more because that's good. I've only seen her mentioned along with Yang as the current grassroots memish candidates, so I made a joke.

Not sure what comments disparaging women you're talking about, though.
Here's a link to her page https://www.marianne2020.com/issues (scroll down)
Specifically Native American reconciliation https://www.marianne2020.com/issues/native-american-reconciliation

Sincere apologies if I mixed you up with others in the Beto announcement thread who posted and mocked women who were Beto supporters.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buttigieg is, IMO, a better speaker, even. Certainly has much better policies so far.

And a better debater, easily. Beto lost his charm during his midterm debates, but Pete was fantastic during the DNC debate. Beto will probably do better in an environment that lacks Ted Cruz, but he would still have to improve quite a bit to reach Pete's level.

Really, I would say the main reason Pete ever had a political career to begin with is because he's such a highly skilled communicator. Speeches, town halls, debates, he seems really solid at all of them.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a link to her page https://www.marianne2020.com/issues (scroll down)
Specifically Native American reconciliation https://www.marianne2020.com/issues/native-american-reconciliation

Sincere apologies if I mixed you up with others in the Beto announcement thread who posted and mocked women who were Beto supporters.
I'm all for as many progressive people of different stripes getting into the primaries because I want lots of different kinds of pressure for the party to go left by the end of all these debates.

Full disclosure: I absolutely made fun of that calf cramping tweet because I think it's hilarious, but that wasn't an attack on women. Just weird people on twitter.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

Not that anyone's going to wait when we could have hot takes based off some reporter rushing to be the first to Tweet something out, but here's Beto's health care answer from today.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love rushed twitter hot takes.

EDIT: This isn't bad honestly, it's basically multi-payer transition into single-payer. You could do a lot worse than this.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

I don't know how much stock to put into an overheard quote, but that's unacceptable if true.

Is that seriously something someone running for president who doesn't care enough about foreign policy to form an opinion on that, or does he seriously need to run a freaking poll and focus group to answer that? Either way that doesn't look good.

Maybe next he'll be answering "What should we do about the Khashoggi incident?" with "What is Aleppo?"

Status
Not open for further replies.