• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The burden of proof is on you. It is an easy enough thing to do. Just show us one, or preferably multiple videos where he attacks someone, besides Trump, as a person.

What are we supposed to do? Linking you hundreds of videos where he isn't attacking any person are worthless, if there is one where he does, but it's not among them.
It does seem like a pretty unreasonable request.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THAT'S the issue you have with them?
Xanax is a lifesaver for many people, unless there was evidence of marketing towards people who don't need it like theopiates I don't see the problem.

xanax is one of the premiere pharmaceutical drugs on the market pfizer is the company that makes them. it's awful (and really dumb) to cozy up to one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world given everything that's happening with prescription drugs in America. oh and by the way xanax (and all of the other benzos on the market) are one of the most abused and over-prescribed drugs in the world, have led to countless deaths (I don't have enough fingers and toes for the people in my circle that have been affected), and much like opiates most addictions start because of a legal prescription and whew boy is it easy as hell to get one of those. I'd say you have some research to do.

either way it's an awful move from gillibrand any way you slice it

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let's get someone in who's not beholden to the party, maybe an independent who runs as a democrat even.
Why on earth would you want to make it so someone is less beholden to the party (which is very very liberal) when it comes to SCOTUS noms?
Cozying up to big pharma is a big no for me.
Pfizer executive. I actually had to delete my initial response after clicking through.
Susman is a major figure in Democratic fundraising circles. She was a lead bundler for President Barack Obama's 2012 re-election campaign.
The small-donor-only path isn't viable for most candidates and it REALLY isn't viable for someone polling 1%.
I was listening to him on various podcasts regarding the loss of jobs through automation problem. Fascinating stuff.

Doesn't this mean that it's more imperative we move away from the ownership of vehicles?

With self driving cars owned by government, we get less accidents. This means that we no longer need to pay for car insurance, we don't need to pay as many police officers to patrol traffic, we pay less in health care, we no longer have car payments, our productivity gets helped by less traffic, and it becomes easier to move. Yang explained how mobility is important because for example, truck drivers need to stop every so often and many small economies depend on the gathering of those individuals, and so with the loss of those jobs, it becomes more important that they move into economies less dependent on that industry.
No, needing to reduce reliance on gas-fueled vehicles does not mean we need to remove people's ability to own their own car. And no, it would not remove the need for car insurance, because otherwise people who don't drive are paying for it for people who do! (something which does NOT apply to health insurance) Bring this up to any person and their response will be "Fuck that commie bullshit" and for once they won't be wrong!

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
No, needing to reduce reliance on gas-fueled vehicles does not mean we need to remove people's ability to own their own car. And no, it would not remove the need for car insurance, because otherwise people who don't drive are paying for it for people who do! (something which does NOT apply to health insurance) Bring this up to any person and their response will be "Fuck that commie bullshit" and for once they won't be wrong!

THEY WILL BE WRONG

BREAK UP THE BIG CARS

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xanax is one of the premiere pharmaceutical drugs on the market pfizer is the company that makes them. it's awful (and really dumb) to cozy up to one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world given everything that's happening with prescription drugs in America. oh and by the way xanax (and all of the other benzos on the market) are one of the most abused and over-prescribed drugs in the world, have led to countless deaths (I don't have enough fingers and toes for the people in my circle that have been affected), and much like opiates most addictions start because of a legal prescription and whew boy is it easy as hell to get one of those. I'd say you have some research to do.

Pfizer is not hosting the event! But that's what the tweet is designed to make you think. Its one of their executives, whose side gig is fundraising high-level donations for Democrats.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sanders voted in favor of the 94 crime bill because it included the violence against women act. It was a compromise. He said this on the crime bill:
"...we are dooming today tens of millions of young people to a future of bitterness, misery, hopelessness, drugs, crime, and violence. And, Mr. Speaker, all the jails in the world — and we already imprison more people per capita than any other country — and all of the executions … in the world will not make that situation right. We can either educate or electrocute. We can create meaningful jobs, rebuilding our society, or we can build more jails. Mr. Speaker, let us create a society of hope and compassion, not one of hate and vengeance".

He backed the jets being in Vermont for job creation. It was either Vermont, or in some other state.. He doesn't actually support the military industrial complex. It was just a here, or somewhere else situation.

The toxic waste I'm not really going to defend other than to say it existed, despite what he wanted, and so he did what he thought was best with it. The idea is that it won't spread and contaminate nearly as easily in a drier climate. I will say that I certainly hope the location was a last resort though. I don't know what is normally done with toxic sludge so it's hard to say what should have been done. On the face of it though, I will agree that that is fucked up.
Let me preface this by saying I have no real issue with Bernie Sanders.

The explanation that he only voted for the 94 crime bill to enact the Violence Against Women Act is a gross oversimplification.

But he did vote for it, and as recently as 2006 touted this fact in a section of his website labeled "Bernie Sanders' strong record of supporting tough on crime legislation." The page also included his votes for funding for antidrug and other crime programs. In 1995, Sanders also voted against a bill whose aim was to "demilitarize" the police.

I for one do not think it's honest to praise one politician for being pragmatic and then evolving on an issue, while blasting another for flip-flopping or pandering - this often came up in 2016 when people would compare Clinton to Sanders.

I will say that Biden's recent comments about the 94 crime bill have not always been great, though he did acknowledge recently (as in a few weeks ago) the problems it caused:

At a breakfast commemorating the birthday of civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. on Monday, Biden acknowledged the role he played in passing legislation in the 1980s that toughened sentences for drug possession.

"It was a big mistake when it was made. We thought, we were told by the experts, that crack — you never go back; it was somehow fundamentally different. It's not different," he said. "But it's trapped an entire generation." He "may not have always gotten things right," he told the crowd.

The former lawmaker has also begun highlighting the work he did during the Obama administration to address the sentencing disparities for crack vs. powder cocaine. And he's begun to frame the drug conversation around larger questions of race and white supremacy. "White America has to admit there's still a systematic racism," he said at the Monday breakfast. "And it goes almost unnoticed by so many of us."

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I'm not sure how that applies to my post. I'm not talking about gas fueled vehicles. I'm talking about the complete removal of owning cars for getting around (not for say racing on race tracks). We're talking about self driving cars in relation to lessening the burden of the current living wage. There are a lot of expenses related to the ownership of cars like increased taxes for policing the population for safety. I'm trying to tie that idea with Yang's idea that automation completely demolishing many jobs will need to be supplemented by UBI so that they can maintain basic necessities.

just wut

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
It's kind of comforting to know that whoever the Dems pick in the primary is going to be decent at the very least (unless its like Tulsi or Bloomberg but that ain't happening)

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
It's kind of comforting to know that whoever the Dems pick in the primary is going to be decent at the very least (unless its like Tulsi or Bloomberg but that ain't happening)
I'm more hopeful of the fact that the exchange of ideas will lead to more exciting platforms next election cycle. There's some great ideas going to be floating around. In comparison, the republican side is just going to be Jurassic Park.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Pfizer executive. I actually had to delete my initial response after clicking through.
Yeah that person is an EXECUTIVE at Pfizer who is helping Gillibrand fundraise. You think that shit is not going to affect her outlook one of the big pharmaceutical companies even if they aren't directly giving her money.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how that applies to my post. I'm not talking about gas fueled vehicles. I'm talking about the complete removal of owning cars for getting around (not for say racing on race tracks). We're talking about self driving cars in relation to lessening the burden of the current living wage. There are a lot of expenses related to the ownership of cars like increased taxes for policing the population for safety. I'm trying to tie that idea with Yang's idea that automation completely demolishing many jobs will need to be supplemented by UBI so that they can maintain basic necessities.

just wut
a) Self-driving cars are not happening in mass amounts in the near future. They are far, far further out than people initially expected and that's going to lead to consequences- we're not gonna be seeing the world of Upgrade, let alone Minority Report for quite some time.
b) Public confiscation and collective ownership of vehicles is straight up not going to happen. People would riot.
Yeah that person is an EXECUTIVE at Pfizer who is helping Gillibrand fundraise. You think that shit is not going to affect her outlook one of the big pharmaceutical companies even if they aren't directly giving her money.
She cosponsored an anti prescription price gouging bill just two weeks ago- https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/brown-gillibrand-announce-legislation-to-protect-americans-from-prescription-drug-price-gouging

But no, I don't think politicians fundamentally change their ideology in response to raw donors- not from bundlers or a millionaire maxing out at 2700- their deviations are going to come less from donors and more from local constituent pressures- it's why Cory Booker is consistently so bad on that specific subset of issues (14 of the 20 biggest Pharma companies are HQ'd there to provide Princeton Plainsboro hospital with enough meds to satisfy their lead diagnostician), why Kamala Harris's housing plan is pretty poopy (Cali's Prop 13 makes it a nightmare for her to actually go aggro on the issue while she still needs those Cali votes on Super Tuesday) and why Bernie Sanders is so shitty on guns (because Vermont is the second most white, second most rural state in the nation).

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
It was either in Vermont, or in another state. He wanted it in his state for the jobs it would create. Obviously it's not ideal but realistically/honestly what would you do in that situation?

"Yeah, Amazon is bad, but it's either going to be in New York or another state. Cuomo wanted it in his state for the jobs it would create. Obviously it's not ideal but realistically/honestly what would you do in that situation?"

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Yeah, Amazon is bad, but it's either going to be in New York or another state. Cuomo wanted it in his state for the jobs it would create. Obviously it's not ideal but realistically/honestly what would you do in that situation?"
The issues being raised re: Amazon were primarily about housing supply issues, something which is not going to be an issue in Vermont.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
a) Self-driving cars are not happening in mass amounts in the near future. They are far, far further out than people initially expected and that's going to lead to consequences- we're not gonna be seeing the world of Upgrade, let alone Minority Report for quite some time.
b) Public confiscation and collective ownership of vehicles is straight up not going to happen. People would riot.
You seem to have not read my post correctly. I raised the question "Doesn't this make it more imperative we go that way?" Not from a sense of some realistic take from this current year 2019, but more so based on need in an ideal/theoretical world. You stating whether it's realistic or not is just irrelevant to the discussion.

We're talking about automation creating massive job loss (food prep, trucking, retail, etc...) with no real way to give those people another job. And so I simply raised that question in this distant bleak theoretical world needing any softening to the cost of basic necessities.

So frankly, people rioting in that world is going to happen regardless. Them losing their ownership of vehicles is just so minuscule of a concern when faced with that bleak future and it's more probable that they riot for lack of income to provide for themselves and their family.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect a reply
What's so hilarious about their request for burden of proof? Don't be toxic.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bernie+Personal+Attacks

Now, the game you will play is "Oh those are not personal attacks"
As if calling Hillary unqualified is not a personal attack.
So, i'll preempt that and ask for attacks by Hillary that WOULD fit your guidelines.

Saying Bernie never attacked Hillary personally is absurd, and this is far more a response than your query deserves.

I'm not defending Pfizer, just the legit uses of the medication.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie fails Warren should be president. No question about that.
The most important part of Warren's campaign is her policy brain. We don't need her as the nominee in order to leverage it.
You seem to have not read my post correctly. I raised the question "Doesn't this make it more imperative we go that way?" Not from a sense of some realistic take from this current year 2019, but more so based on need in an ideal/theoretical world. You stating whether it's realistic or not is just irrelevant to the discussion.

We're talking about automation creating massive job loss (food prep, trucking, retail, etc...) with no real way to give those people another job. And so I simply raised that question in this distant bleak theoretical world needing any softening to the cost of basic necessities.

So frankly, people rioting in that world is going to happen regardless. Them losing their ownership of vehicles is just so minuscule of a concern when faced with that bleak future and it's more probable that they riot for lack of income to provide for themselves and their family.
In a world with self-driving vehicles, you don't need to ban private ownership of them! There's no good rationale for removing them other than "I want to". There are far better ways of reducing inequality than going "ok no one gets cars".

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm more hopeful of the fact that the exchange of ideas will lead to more exciting platforms next election cycle. There's some great ideas going to be floating around. In comparison, the republican side is just going to be Jurassic Park.
Yeah, I'm really impressed by the proposals we're seeing from everyone.

Like I'm not a fan of Booker at all, but his baby bonds idea is awesome and would almost eliminate the racial wealth disparity all on its own.

Next Republican primary on the other hand is just going to be more "I AM AGAINST EVERYTHING THE DEMOCRATS ARE DOING AND HAVE NO ORIGINAL IDEAS, FUCK MUSLIMS" figurative dick-waving. (who am I kidding, by that point it'll be literal)

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be pissed. I think Bernie is better than that though

I dunno dude had to pretend he didn't endorse Tim Canova

And Turner has input

And well

Turner said Wednesday that she and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii had been set to deliver speeches placing Sanders' name in nomination. The Tuesday exercise was meant to show respect for the Vermont senator's loyal supporters, even though Clinton had more than enough pledged delegates for a first-ballot nomination.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2016/07/bernie_sanders_backer_nina_tur.html

The "smear" btw is Dean saying that Gabbard has flexible morals.

I'd 100% believe Turner would push for Gabbard

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I'll refute you on is that Biden isn't a good person. He's a genuinely decent, warm guy--exactly how he comes across on TV--and that's pretty rare for politicians, many of whom have a public face and a much different private one. The folks I know who have either worked for Biden or with him have real affection for him. Like, he'd give the shirt off his back to one of his twenty two year old staffers. Meanwhile, I've worked with some of the most "eat the rich" liberal firebrand types who seem to take perverse pleasure in abusing their underlings and taking advantage of their status, and won't look you in the eye when you're talking to them if you're not somebody important. I'll admit this skews my bias.

You're perfectly right to study Biden's record and think he'd be terrible for the country, but I don't think it's fair to write him off as "not a good person."

Lmao, a ton of people fear his running because he is likely to get #metoo'd I wouldn't bother defending his person.

I was listening to him on various podcasts regarding the loss of jobs through automation problem. Fascinating stuff.

Doesn't this mean that it's more imperative we move away from the ownership of vehicles?

With self driving cars owned by government, we get less accidents. This means that we no longer need to pay for car insurance, we don't need to pay as many police officers to patrol traffic, we pay less in health care, we no longer have car payments, our productivity gets helped by less traffic, and it becomes easier to move. Yang explained how mobility is important because for example, truck drivers need to stop every so often and many small economies depend on the gathering of those individuals, and so with the loss of those jobs, it becomes more important that they move into economies less dependent on that industry.

Automation will not help reduce traffic, densifying our cities and increasing public transit by several times we have now are the only remedies to it.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/us/politics/amy-klobuchar-staff.html

Senator Amy Klobuchar was hungry, forkless and losing patience.

An aide, joining her on a trip to South Carolina in 2008, had procured a salad for his boss while hauling their bags through an airport terminal. But once onboard, he delivered the grim news: He had fumbled the plastic eating utensils before reaching the gate, and the crew did not have any forks on such a short flight.

What happened next was typical: Ms. Klobuchar berated her aide instantly for the slip-up. What happened after that was not: She pulled a comb from her bag and began eating the salad with it, according to four people familiar with the episode.

Then she handed the comb to her staff member with a directive: Clean it.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord, hiring Nina already looked like a big ol' red flag but seeing her support seals it. Bernie needs to drop West before her cancer spreads.

Status
Not open for further replies.