• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lhsw42w44fg01.jpg

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
right. okay this was from before Bernie announced. she's done a very bad job w/ ourevolution. probably not a good idea to bring her back to his campaign.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Automation will not help reduce traffic, densifying our cities and increasing public transit by several times we have now are the only remedies to it.
If automation is only applied to truck drivers when it comes to travel, then I think you're absolutely right. Because it would mean a good amount of traffic from collisions, and general inefficiency from human driving like today's reality. Automation would lead to more people going to bigger cities like Yang said as many small economies that are linked to truck driving would be drastically affected. If human driving was massively reduced, then traffic would be better from the standpoint of there being less accidents, and for example, the distance between each vehicle could be more efficient as robots would have no problem traveling, stopping, turning at a consistent pace.

In general you're right with regards to densifying our cities.

Honestly, it's pretty frightening and as Yang said, companies don't usually lay off people when things are going great, but when they're needing to cut costs which would lead to massive unrest. It's impossible to retrain people who are by and large at an age where that isn't realistic.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is conspiracy shit. Connecting dots to this degree.
There's no conspiracy.

Tulsi Gabbard is super shitty and no one should be voluntarily associating with her and praising her in the 2020 campaign season.
Nina Turner has had very questionable judgment in the past, making it so that Sanders hiring her for a high level campaign position is itself an incredibly suspect judgement call.
And discovering that two weeks ago, Turner was out hanging with Tulsi and talking her up, is an example of why hiring her is an example of poor judgment.
Can you imagine the meltdowns.
If Tulsi's on the ticket, the entire Dem party will have melted down and the American government is almost certainly FUBAR, yes.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
What a psycho

In a world with self-driving vehicles, you don't need to ban private ownership of them! There's no good rationale for removing them other than "I want to". There are far better ways of reducing inequality than going "ok no one gets cars".
I already listed reasons why it would make sense. One would be no longer needing to spend money on cars which is necessary the way our city planning was screwed up. Another would be car insurance as a company for example would own the vehicles. I grant you the fact that self driving cars being owned would still mean less accidents which means less traffic, less accidents leading to less taxes on health care, and less taxes on police as policing traffic would be almost meaningless as speeding tickets wouldn't be a thing. However, in a world where self driving cars are around for purchase, people would need to buy said cars. At that point you can't force people to make the transition because it would punish poor people from getting around, which would mean you lessen the positive impact self driving cars would have an those things I listed.

The problem exists from the standpoint of the car makers. However, one could easily argue that just like how youtube creators make money from advertisement through eyeballs, you could plaster ads on display inside vehicles. No longer needing to own a car makes it more likely you travel as you wouldn't have to spend on gas and allows you to watch advertisement which you can't do in the current reality. Owning a self driving car takes this away.

I find this type of problem solving and discussion fascinating.

Yang sparked my curiosity and I hope his idea behind the reasoning for UBI sparks this kind of discussion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My tweet was from last year to be fair

But not like Nina and Tulsi stopped being good friends since then.
i think tulsi's shittiness has become more widely known though

turner might not push for her just because of that, and if she does i think other people in the campaign would push back

either way i don't think she's a big enough name or interesting enough in and of herself to make it

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
i think tulsi's shittiness has become more widely known though

turner might not push for her just because of that, and if she does i think other people in the campaign would push back

either way i don't think she's a big enough name or interesting enough in and of herself to make it

I think she absolutely would and I agree I think others would push back.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bernie+Personal+Attacks

Now, the game you will play is "Oh those are not personal attacks"
As if calling Hillary unqualified is not a personal attack.
So, i'll preempt that and ask for attacks by Hillary that WOULD fit your guidelines.

Saying Bernie never attacked Hillary personally is absurd, and this is far more a response than your query deserves.

So showing us how to google and Bernie calling Clinton unqualified, is the best you can do, can't say I'm surprised.
VenomouSanders should be his new nickname - coming for you and not taking names

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bleh, this is like Clinton choosing Kaine-- opting for loyalty over everything else and it shows really shitty judgement.
Yes, both Sanders and Clinton have some aspects of their personalities that overlap that are super bad. The loyalty > competence thing is one, the "not comfortable with campaigning outside your comfort zone" was another.

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
In a world with self-driving vehicles, you don't need to ban private ownership of them! There's no good rationale for removing them other than "I want to". There are far better ways of reducing inequality than going "ok no one gets cars".

The rationale is "people die all the time in car accidents that are preventable."

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not seeing any examples from you about Hillary using personal attacks.

Well, she did say he was an old man with his head in the clouds!

I dont know if she actually said this, but I am saying she did. :p

I just have this dark comedy vision of Sanders winning the primary and then going and my VP is Tulsi Gabbard lol

I think I would be pissed off. Like not sure I would vote in the general levels of posted off. Lol

That wouldn't even be about tone-deafness there.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
The rationale is "people die all the time in car accidents that are preventable."
Yep, so essentially getting close to removing that would remove some costs to alleviate the massive job loss. That's basically the premise of this small discussion. Obviously, there is more needed to be done that are more important like Yang's proposal.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Mandating self-driving systems does not require banning private ownership.
Can you really eliminate accidents from that? I would imagine it would cost money to make that transition and thus be a strain on the poorer people. Because we're already at a point where we're trying to transition to electric vehicles due to climate change. All of this could be a massive sudden shift, which is why it's an important discussion to be had.

Maybe installation of display systems to pay for the transition so that you'll be advertised through your own vehicle?

I think we should stop btw. It's a cool little discussion on ways to help the massive job loss from automation, but we're getting off topic. lol

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Mandating self-driving systems does not require banning private ownership.

Upon originally discussing this question I realized that it does, because people don't believe they are worse at driving than a robot. If we actually want to end human driving we need to end human ownership.

Also people regularly drive cars that are two decades old, so a self-driving mandate does nothing without a plan to actually eliminate old manual cars, in which case we're already halfway along the route to banning private ownership (buyback or prohibition).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the Klobuchar story. Goddamn someone had the knives out for her. (but not the forks, I guess).
It is not a hit piece. This was known internally to other people in the Senate as a problem, reporters knew about it before she announced and thought she was crazy to run, and it's coming out now because it's utterly disqualifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.