• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
So Sirota lying about Beto's Senate donations is fine.

Cool.

It's pretty clear there is a portion, hopefully small, of Bernie supporters that aren't really in it for the Democratic party - which is a hard requirement for passing any legislation. They aren't team players, they want their stuff or nothing else effectively. I'm sure the majority of Sanders supporters are more reasonable.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, people defending Sirota are so predictable. Getting outraged over AIPAC and the Omar situation was just because they could blame Pelosi for some. It's all about their team, not morals.
Yea, this is telling.

And the only defense mustered is whataboutism.

Jeez.

Edit: And to be 1000% clear. No this isn't a blanket criticism of Sanders supporters. As Pwnz says its just a vocal faction that cares more about 'winning' than anything else.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously this is just proof to them centrist = anyone who isn't blindly for Bernie. Sirota is being called out here from the *left* for his work and support for AIPAC and for trying to bring down a Dem nominee in a general election.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Why is everyone who disagrees with this hire or who doesn't like Bernie a "centrist" (which is apparently a slur now?)

Because it gets tiring when everyone sounds the alarm over anything Bernie does. We get it, you guys REALLY dont like Bernie. You guys can overlook the fact that Bernie's team is made up of majority women, and has made it a point to hire a team of minorities to lead his campaign. Not that i have any problem with criticism over Bernie, but when you guys expect us all to drop support for Bernie over something insignificant its just laughable.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling out someone for helping Republicans instead of helping the more progressive candidate in a general election is now considered centrism, cool.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
I could see Beto raising a ton of money tbh, he has a giant email list from his Senate campaign and raised 80 million dollars from that during 2018. No small feat.

It's just that the guy doesn't even appear that much in national polling so was surprised by the money raised. Well we'll see how it goes. I remember Bush outraising Trump by twice as much and look where that got him lol. Money doesn't guarantee you a primary. This goes for all candidates.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Because it gets tiring when everyone sounds the alarm over anything Bernie does. We get it, you guys REALLY dont like Bernie. You guys can overlook the fact that Bernie's team is made up of majority women, and has made it a point to hire a team of minorities to lead his campaign. Not that i have any problem with criticism over Bernie, but when you guys expect us all to drop support for Bernie over something insignificant its just laughable.

My issue isn't with Bernie, it's Sirota. See Cheebo's referenced articles during the general election.

Mar 9, 2018
I didn't like Sirota in 2016 because I think he sounded too equivocating with Trump, particularly on Twitter. I don't think he was pro-Trump but I don't think he took Trump seriously enough as a candidate and his focus on Clinton skewed perception by omission. Kind of similar to the asymmetric nature of the Wikileak email stealing. I think though that Clinton's awfulness is being understated. And a particularly awful candidate is going to generate a lot of inward critique. That's also on her.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I think hiring Briahna Joy Gray is fantastic - Sirota much much less so. But honestly, whatever. People are wildly overreacting to these things.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Beto raising a ton of money tbh, he has a giant email list from his Senate campaign and raised 80 million dollars from that during 2018. No small feat.

It's just that the guy doesn't even appear that much in national polling so was surprised by the money raised. Well we'll see how it goes. I remember Bush outraising Trump by twice as much and look where that got him lol. Money doesn't guarantee you a primary. This goes for all candidates.
Big difference was that Jeb! money were mostly from big donors and he was the appointed one. Beto's stuff is all small time donors. It's why the Bernie people are so threatened by him.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, people defending Sirota are so predictable. Getting outraged over AIPAC and the Omar situation was just because they could blame Pelosi for some. It's all about their team, not morals.

you're so off base here. I wouldn't be voting for Bernie if I didn't think he was the most progressive voice on Palestinian rights. His hiring of Matt Duss as his foreign policy advisor and reports that he was set to take a more critical stance on Isreal this election is one of the major reasons I'm reupping my support. democrats love the image of a muslim woman being part of their party... well until she spoke against lobbyists for Isreal and then we had to tone police her and silence her, even on this supposedly very progressive website. Again Bernie was, as far as I'm aware, the first to privately call her to show support and then publicly did so as well. And it doesn't stop there. Look into Briahana Joy's stance on Palestine. These are good hires. idk much about David Sirota's AIPAC work or his stance on the Middle East, but he's not the sole voice setting the tone for this campaign. In a since deleted tweet, he said he worked for AIPAC for 4 months when he was 23. Assuming he wasn't lying; i think we can probably forgive him.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? Her vote in the general election in NYC, which ultimately made no difference, is the same as being a full-throated Trump supporter? LOL. Your shtick of grasping at straws to find any way to shit on Sanders supporters has you making all kinds of hot takes.

Clinton was a terrible candidate for president. In a solid blue state, I can understand why someone might not vote for either her or Trump. I voted for her myself, as did the vast majority of Bernie primary voters, but Clinton has some things that principled progressives might find utterly disqualifying. Her history of racially-charged remarks, and her husband's racist policies. Her warmongering. Her attacks and smears against her husband's victims. Her foreign policy, particularly when it comes to the Middle East. Etc. etc.
Ah, so I'm sure Sanders racially charged marks as recently 2015 don't mean anything to you, huh?

Or Waste in Latino Communities?

Rape fantasies?

But, whatever.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's my impression of David Sirota as well. I think it's a controversial pick simply because a lot of centrists hate him, for whatever reason they say, but he's no fan of Trump.

It's also worth noting that people are offended that there are Bernie supporters who vote third party in New York... and that maybe there's a divide that can't be bridged unless Bernie only hired mild, center-left liberals.

edit: also lol at the comment above. I certainly do not care about the Democratic Party.
Lol "centrists"

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a generality, Bernie's team has done a great job with the hires.
The complaints to Sirota's hiring shouldn't be hard to understand. I'd feel the same about H.A. Goodman being hired for any of these campaigns.
No one is swearing off Bernie solely for this hire.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are comments that David Sirota tweeted explaining his AIPAC past. Again, these were deleted and I'm assuming he's being truthful here, but I have no idea.

Hi I'm a Jew & worked for AIPAC for 4 months at age 23. I was desperate for a first job & got a glorified internship when they supported the peace process. I've since vehemently disagreed with AIPAC for all of my adult life [...]
then in a separate tweet:
I'm a Jewish person who has faced antisemitism. I support a peace process and when AIPAC took its right wing turn during the Bush era, I was appalled. [...]

although it needs to be repeated again probably. David Sirota was not hired to advise on foreign policy.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Warren did really well. I think when you hear her, you really get the impression she cares. I appreciate her being in the race. I look forward to seeing her in the debates.
Shes my candidate in the primary... im rooting my ass of for her and she is the only person i donated to... i will donate to bernie and beto sooner or later, but im rooting for warren, the intellect.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a generality, Bernie's team has done a great job with the hires.
The complaints to Sirota's hiring shouldn't be hard to understand. I'd feel the same about H.A. Goodman being hired for any of these campaigns.
No one is swearing off Bernie solely for this hire.
right. if HA goodman was hired in any way by Bernie, I would also be appalled. but I don't think that's what happened here.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that's my impression of David Sirota as well. I think it's a controversial pick simply because a lot of centrists hate him, for whatever reason they say, but he's no fan of Trump.

It's also worth noting that people are offended that there are Bernie supporters who vote third party in New York... and that maybe there's a divide that can't be bridged unless Bernie only hired mild, center-left liberals.

edit: also lol at the comment above. I certainly do not care about the Democratic Party.

centrist = people who I don't like

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shes my candidate in the primary... im rooting my ass of for her and she is the only person i donated to... i will donate to bernie and beto sooner or later, but im rooting for warren, the intellect.
She almost seems too smart for American politics. She's my top choice but I feel she'd struggle more than most other candidates in the general.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I think hiring Briahna Joy Gray is fantastic - Sirota much much less so. But honestly, whatever. People are wildly overreacting to these things.
Yeah, not a fan of Sirota at all, but I really like Briahna. Overall his hires seem better than last time. Tad Devine and co. were awful.

Sanders is still probably my second choice behind Pete. I could go with Warren over Sanders though if he doesn't start having more transparency regarding various things like his taxes and the Sanders institute or whatever. Some of that stuff, especially with his wife, seems a little fishy and I'd feel much better if he just addressed it head on.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Explain David Sirota who worked hard to help defeat Hillary in the general election and spread conspiracy theories about her in the days leading up to the election.

I haven't really followed David Sirota much. Looking at his Wikipedia page, he has a long history with Bernie and his political views are aligned with him:

Sirota is a critic of neoliberal economic policies, and has leveled criticism at the Clinton, George W. Bush, and Obama administrations. Sirota supported John Edwards in the 2008 Democratic party primaries. He has criticized the Democratic Leadership Council and other Democrats, who he claims have "sold out" to corporate interests, and has argued that the term "centrist" is a misnomer in that these politicians are out of touch with public opinion. Sirota's article "The Democrats' Da Vinci Code" argues that leftist politicians are more successful in so-called "red states" than the mainstream media have previously reported.

He's been involved in politics and political journalism for 20 years, so I don't think trying to sum him up with a wall of articles from a three month period is very honest. Him, Bernie, and I have all moved on from Hillary and 2016.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Agreed with everything about Warren. Best candidate from a policy/diplomatic standpoint but unfortunately she isn't a good fit for a presidential campaign for a number of factors.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
She almost seems too smart for American politics. She's my top choice but I feel she'd struggle more than most other candidates in the general.
Im affraid of that also, but she is sharp... i think when she starts to debate people, her sharpness/charisma/intellect will shine through. If her congressional grillings are anything to go by, she is an assassin and her points always pack a punch.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

w7JeNbQ.gif

(Groundhog Day)

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Refusing to vote for Hillary in the general election makes you no better than a MAGA supporter. So no. Her and a Trump fan should be treated no differently as there is no actual difference between them in how they acted in the election.
What a load of crap. Her vote was meaningless in that instance as Hillary to no surprise won New York.

Briahna is much more principled than some of the Hillary staffers who resort to hackery.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mean.... it'd be one thing if the third party candidates weren't you know Gary Johnson... and the one I'm assuming she did vote for Jill Stein....

Like it's fine to say oh their vote didn't matter so voting third party is fine... when a third party candidate is actually of value.

It doesn't really inspire confidence or respect to have voted for Jill Stein.

Though I suppose she could have written in Bernie Sanders

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean.... it'd be one thing if the third party candidates weren't you know Gary Johnson... and the one I'm assuming she did vote for Jill Stein....

Like it's fine to say oh their vote didn't matter so voting third party is fine... when a third party candidate is actually of value.

It doesn't really inspire confidence or respect to have voted for Jill Stein.

Though I suppose she could have written in Bernie Sanders
She said she voted third party.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
What a load of crap. Her vote was meaningless in that instance as Hillary to no surprise won New York.

Briahna is much more principled than some of the Hillary staffers who resort to hackery.

I wonder what happens when a bunch of principled "progressives" vote 3rd Party because of the false security of being in safe blue states...

*goes outside*

...oh, that's right.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I wonder what happens when a bunch of principled "progressives" vote 3rd Party because of the false security of being in safe blue states...

*goes outside*

...oh, that's right.
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of the Stein/Johnson votes in MI, PA and WI came from liberals who figured they were in the blue wall, so their vote was safe.

It's not that her one vote changed anything, obviously it didn't, but it's the same mentality that a toooon of people had in more consequential states.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I won't stand for you all indirectly trashing Mercury Fred by mocking someone who wouldn't vote for a dem candidate they didn't like because they live in a safe state. This thread should be about unity.

Status
Not open for further replies.