• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
No one went to jail and truancies dropped 35%

Yeah real fucking terrible.
Whenever somone tries to excuse this unforgivable policy I like to imagine how many heads would explode if it came out that Bernie supported jailing parents of truant children. I'm gonna take a wild guess that those defending Harris wouldn't feel the same way.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever somone tries to excuse this unforgivable policy I like to imagine how many heads would explode if it came out that Bernie supported jailing parents of truant children. I'm gonna take a wild guess that those defending Harris wouldn't feel the same way.
Your position of "No one who holds a different position than me could possibly be differing in good faith because of course all Politicians' supporters will defend them on everything and attack their opponents on anything" is not a healthy one.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Your position of "No one who holds a different position than me could possibly be differing in good faith because of course all Politicians' supporters will defend them on everything and attack their opponents on anything" is not a healthy one.
You're not exactly the first person I would go to for health advice but thanks for looking out!

But hey, I'm sure you're right and libs would totally be on Bernie's side if he instituted a policy like that when he was Mayor of Burlington.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I'm sure of is that you would be.
I've been highly critical of Bernie on a number of issues over the years, most recently his take on Venezuela but sure.

I support policies over people, Bernie is by far the closest to my views so I support him. If he wasn't, I wouldn't support him. Back in college when i was still a lib, I was one of those Democrats defending obama's drone strike program. I totally understand rationalizing supporting bad policies because you like the politician.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If as a parent you let your kid skip over ONE HUNDRED days in a school year for non-medical reasons and ignore all the angry letters and phone calls schools begin sending soon as a kid begins skipping school for months on end.....you know what I call that?

Child abuse.

No different than when state gets involved legally if you aren't feeding your kid or getting them medical attention.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
At first I didn't agree with Kamala's stance on Truancy, but I thought about all the implications and it does seem to me like the parents in question should be punished.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"I really like Biden, and would probably vote for him "
That isn't something a Biden Supporter says?

I would vote for him IF he won the primaries and I don't think he's an inherently bad pick. That doesn't mean I have to go all in on him right now.

As others have said, and like him or not, he's probably a fairly safe choice and is popular in both the political and social spaces. Doesn't mean he has the best policy, or that he's the "most ideal" choice either. Just means he's polling far better than anyone else, and he's very much established.

I have outlined who I have currently supported, financially and politically, before Biden, especially considering that he hasn't even officially announced his run. But like I have said before: I would easily support him if he won the primaries.

I can't tell if you're just trying to see something that isn't there though. I think that's pretty clear. If not, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I would easily support him if he won the primaries.
I mean, most people in this thread would. I might hate Biden but you vote for whoever wins the nomination, thats how it works.

If you want to, I could list you aaaaall of the shit Biden has done. It will be funny bc if he runs then those decades of baggage will be thrown in his direction and his campaign will implode.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been highly critical of Bernie on a number of issues over the years, most recently his take on Venezuela but sure.

I support policies over people, Bernie is by far the closest to my views so I support him. If he wasn't, I wouldn't support him. Back in college when i was still a lib, I was one of those Democrats defending obama's drone strike program. I totally understand rationalizing supporting bad policies because you like the politician.
Oh, c'mon I've seen you rationalize and whatabout just about everything Bernie's done while digging in on the most minute, insignificant detail on other candidates. My guess is the most you'd do if Bernie had supported truancy laws is make a false equivalency with other candidates and then forget it was ever a thing immediately afterward. And I'm not even applying that line to most Bernie supporters in this thread as many do criticize instead of hand-wave some problems they see come up.

And here's the thing: I don't even particularly like any politicians currently running. Can't even say I particularly liked Obama (He was woefully under experienced, but he didn't do that badly even with that huge minus) even though he ranks near the top of elected politicians for me.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"When I self-identitifed as X, I did bad thing Y, so therefore all people who self-identify as X must do bad thing Y" isn't "understanding", it's projecting your history/actions onto them.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, most people in this thread would. I might hate Biden but you vote for whoever wins the nomination, thats how it works.

If you want to, I could list you aaaaall of the shit Biden has done. It will be funny bc if he runs then those decades of baggage will be thrown in his direction and his campaign will implode.

Right. Yeah and I get that too. At least I hope people aren't so quick to flip lol. I'd love to see "all the shit" Biden has done. I'm all for the chips falling where they may, as long as the perspective is in check and whatever context that is needed, is considered.

Nah it's perfectly in context.

The 60s were rough, but feel free to elaborate on his "scathing comments" on Millennials, without tripping over the rest of that article. We wouldn't have such strong progressive voices today, if it wasn't for the perseverance and culture shifting movements of the past. Gotta continue to get involved and push policy. It's not perfect, never will be, but he's seemingly tired of seeing lazy complainers and he wants the Millennial generation to step up and get active. I respect that and I don't think he's particularly wrong in that regard. I think some progressives are even following through on that too.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If as a parent you let your kid skip over ONE HUNDRED days in a school year for non-medical reasons and ignore all the angry letters and phone calls schools begin sending soon as a kid begins skipping school for months on end.....you know what I call that?

Child abuse.

No different than when state gets involved legally if you aren't feeding your kid or getting them medical attention.

Do you have any experience with local foster care systems? Because that's what your advocating for, that these kids get sent into the god awful foster system and likely become even more fucked up than if they were allowed to stay with parents who didn't make sure they went to school.

Yeah there are a lot of shitty parents out there but shitty parents usually are better than sending a kid to 5 different foster homes by the time they hit 18. (Especially over the issue of school attendnece)

I could never vote for a career prosecutor on the basis that they generally suck and have to enforce some HEINOUS shit to advance their careers, but her truancy stunt and flippant attitude about it is another level of awful.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The 60s were rough, but feel free to elaborate on his "scathing comments" on Millennials, without tripping over the rest of that article. We wouldn't have such strong progressive voices today, if it wasn't for the perseverance and culture shifting movements of the past. Gotta continue to get involved and push policy. It's not perfect, never will be, but he's seemingly tired of seeing lazy complainers and he wants the Millennial generation to step up and get active. I respect that and I don't think he's particularly wrong in that regard. I think some progressives are even following through on that too.

So it is in context.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
At first I didn't agree with Kamala's stance on Truancy, but I thought about all the implications and it does seem to me like the parents in question should be punished.
Honestly, the only people whose opinions on the truancy thing I think matter are the kids and parents in question. I think all of us are just projecting our own experiences onto it.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any experience with local foster care systems? Because that's what your advocating for, that these kids get sent into the god awful foster system and likely become even more fucked up than if they were allowed to stay with parents who didn't make sure they went to school.

Yeah there are a lot of shitty parents out there but shitty parents usually are better than sending a kid to 5 different foster homes by the time they hit 18. (Especially over the issue of school attendnece)

I could never vote for a career prosecutor on the basis that they generally suck and have to enforce some HEINOUS shit to advance their careers, but her truancy stunt and flippant attitude about it is another level of awful.
Not a single one of those kids got put into foster care, and not a single one of those parents were prosecuted. But, you know what? A kid being out of school for dozens of days at a time with no excuse given would be a red flag for actual child abuse, and if that was found because they're checking for truancy then hell yes they're better off in a fucked up foster care system than with a parent that's beating or starving them.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah there are a lot of shitty parents out there but shitty parents usually are better than sending a kid to 5 different foster homes by the time they hit 18.

Yes, foster care is avoided and generally a last resort. But this program was not designed to round up kids and send them to foster care. It was explicitly designed as an intervention to try and stop prevent things from reaching the point where that outcomes would be considered necessary by getting the parents support via various programs and in contact with a social worker.

Equating supporting this program to supporting just sending the kids into foster care is deeply unfair.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The poster I responded to said not sending your kid to school was akin to child abuse and warranted legal intervention such as when you're not feeding your kid or giving them medical care. I represented kids at legal aid who were put into foster care for their parents doing less.

Harris promoted a program that could have lead to a jail sentence or a gigantic fine (for someone who's low income, $2500 as a fine is an insane amount of money) either punishment could put the parents in a position where they either were in jail or facing financial instability which could lead them to not be able to care for their kids.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The poster I responded to said not sending your kid to school was akin to child abuse and warranted legal intervention such as when you're not feeding your kid or giving them medical care. I represented kids at legal aid who were put into foster care for their parents doing less.

Harris promoted a program that could have lead to a jail sentence or a gigantic fine (for someone who's low income, $2500 as a fine is an insane amount of money) either punishment could put the parents in a position where they either were in jail or facing financial instability which could lead them to not be able to care for their kids.

In reality, it seems to have been used as a gateway to get parents and children at the edges of society the help that they needed to get these kids an education. This was illustrated by the single mother with 5 kids anecdote that Harris often uses.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In reality, it seems to have been used as a gateway to get parents and children at the edges of society the help that they needed to get these kids an education. This was illustrated by the single mother with 5 kids anecdote that Harris often uses.

Pretty anecdotal. A broader view of truancy enforcement shows that it that it doesn't really work and can cause great hardship to the families it targets.

https://newrepublic.com/article/121186/truancy-laws-unfairly-attack-poor-children-and-parents

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
As a non-American I'll admit the idea of threatening to jail a parent for their child's truancy seems crazy and totally counter productive to me, but then the entire politicisation of the role of the District Attorney in the United States seems like an absurd situation where you're basically begging for people to run for the office by being draconian towards criminals as possible.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That chart is very interesting. Because the conventional wisdom is that racism keeps the WWC from supporting redistribution, and educated whites are less racist than working class whites. But on universal basic income/wealth, the WWC as a whole are closer to POC than to college-educated whites. College educated whites certainly have a motive to divide the working class along racial lines.
WWC and POCWC have many of the same problems that require a lot of the same solutions and its absolutely imperative that the educated ruling class drives them apart through racial issues lest they stand together.

Lmao, this reads as excusing racist asshats because their racist/bigoted belief makes them easily manipulated.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Pretty anecdotal. A broader view of truancy enforcement shows that it that it doesn't really work and can cause great hardship to the families it targets.

https://newrepublic.com/article/121186/truancy-laws-unfairly-attack-poor-children-and-parents

Yeah, anyone who has taken a meta-analytical approach to this issue understands that boosting attendance as justification for harsh truancy laws is a very myopic way to attempt to solve the problem of truancy and can be especially harmful to marginalized children and families. Punitive measures to combat truancy are quite archaic and I expect them to be a thing of the past in 50 years or so.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Kamala's own example was one not based on child abuse. However, seeing as she pushed it state wide, how can you be sure there aren't instances of parents getting jailed for those reasons? You can't excuse her based on the fact that she didn't send anyone to jail if she pushed for it statewide and parents were sent to jail from that policy.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
People know corporal punishments is still ok to this day in public schools in FL?

I was paddled, ruler'd and cane'd as a child. I would get sent home crying with bloodied knuckles. I can only tell you it was like having a real life Darth Vader as principal. It ended in 5 or 6th grade at my school, as he was urged into retirement.

I am more than willing to look past Kamala's prior transgressions on truancy. I am certain it hurt whole families and possibly lives.

Times change and I like where she is at now. We have so far to go. We bicker so much. My only goal is to put a Democrat in office and get rid of Trump and the madness we have had recently.

Just my 2 cents.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
People know corporal punishments is still ok to this day in public schools in FL?

I was paddled, ruler'd and cane'd as a child. I would get sent home crying with bloodied knuckles. I can only tell you it was like having a real life Darth Vader as principal. It ended in 5 or 6th grade at my school, as he was urged into retirement.

I am more than willing to look past Kamala's prior transgressions on truancy. I am certain it hurt whole families and possibly lives.

Times change and I like where she is at now. We have so far to go. We bicker so much. My only goal is to put a Democrat in office and get rid of Trump and the madness we have had recently.

Just my 2 cents.

Most of us are fine with Kamala. It's the idea that her solution was flawless that is in contention.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If your mom is letting you stay home, she can write a note. They don't have a limit on those. If you're missing a massive amount of school without a parent's/doctor's note, the school is right to be concerned.

(and further down the reply chain the actual problem reveals itself:

The original person tweeting is mad because this would have happened because they weren't turning in the notes that their mom was giving them.)

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
If your mom is letting you stay home, she can write a note. They don't have a limit on those. If you're missing a massive amount of school without a parent's/doctor's note, the school is right to be concerned.

The original person tweeting is mad because this would have happened because they weren't turning in the notes that their mom was giving them.)

So send in Psychological Intervention. I hear it is an effective way to deal with truancy/boosts attendance, doesn't require threatening parents with jail time, and is a genuinely systematic way to improve the behavioral and mental health of these troubled kids/teens.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
(and further down the reply chain the actual problem reveals itself: The original person tweeting is mad because this would have happened because they weren't turning in the notes that their mom was giving them.)
Yes... the problem of schools not accounting for/accommodating his learning disability.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So send in Psychological Intervention. I hear it is an effective way to deal with truancy/boosts attendance, doesn't require threatening parents with jail time, and is a genuinely systematic way to improve the behavioral and mental health of these troubled kids/teens.
Not all of these cases are going to be mental health related. The point was that this one was being handled appropriately and was a literal paperwork issue that would have quickly resolved itself even if it hit their radar because there was so much documentation already.
Yes... the problem of schools not accounting for/accommodating his learning disability.
This one is solved pretty easily in 2019 by the parent being able to just email the office a note directly. My friend's kids now get an automated phone call to the home if they skip class- that wasn't there 15 years ago. Post-email parent/teacher interactions are a whole different thing compared to when I grew up.

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

This is...not a good characterization of the situation described in the tweet.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I filled out the online census form today. I didn't realize how early they would start doing the 2020 census. I guess my parents filled out my census back in 2009 since I was living in a college dorm at the time

edit: oops, meant for poliera

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Not all of these cases are going to be mental health related. The point was that this one was being handled appropriately and was a literal paperwork issue that would have quickly resolved itself even if it hit their radar because there was so much documentation already.

Most of them are mental health related, as many studies have shown. For the ones that aren't, social services should be able to get to the bottom of the issue. Regardless, what the evidence shows is that it is not necessary to get the courts involved in order to resolve these issues; psychologists and social service workers are simply far more qualified than the DA's office to tackle truancy, though getting the proper channels involved requires adequate funding, which is sorely lacking in many school districts.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

This is a genuinely fantastic sensible position to take. It's a shame that so many people in government have historically been conservative with respect to sex workers. I hope this becomes the standard going forward.

A search on twitter shows people in that industry are happy but cautiously enthusiastic about it given her record. I think at a certain point people have to allow for the fact that people can change on issues.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of them are mental health related, as many studies have shown. For the ones that aren't, social services should be able to get to the bottom of the issue. Regardless, what the evidence shows is that it is not necessary to get the courts involved in order to resolve these issues; psychologists and social service workers are simply far more qualified than the DA's office to tackle truancy, though getting the proper channels involved requires adequate funding, which is sorely lacking in many school districts.
The point was to get social services involved as part of the intervention program, not lock the parents up, because yes those are the people best equipped to deal with these problems.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The point was to get social services involved as part of the intervention program, not lock the parents up, because yes those are the people best equipped to deal with these problems.

But social service intervention is not tantamount to threatening parents with jail time, nor does it require parents to appear in court. SS workers do not need the DA to step on their toes in order to do their jobs. Plenty of intervention programs work just fine without getting the courts involved.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But social service intervention is not tantamount to threatening parents with jail time, nor does it require parents to appear in court. SS workers do not need the DA to step on their toes in order to do their jobs. Plenty of intervention programs work just fine without getting the courts involved.
At a certain point asking nicely doesn't work and you've got two options, either force them to do it or give up.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, I did not imply at all that Bernie is the only one that can see this.

My current position is Bernie, Biden, Gillibrand, Klobachar, and anyone else against nuking the filibuster do not see it or are acting like they cant for whatever reason.

One of my major gripes with Bernie has always been that I know he wouldn't prioritize fixing our political system.

Nuking the filibuster
Making All of our territories states
Increasing the House
Stacking the courts
Restoring and strengthening Voting Rights (I believe the legislature would push this on him though)

And much more that no candidate is even talking about. No one serious is talking about how dysfunctional the Senate is becoming and wont until majority of the country realizes 30% of the country has more say than they do.

I can only hope like some here said, that he is just talking politics and that he would be for nuking the filibuster when given the chance.
I agree with lots of your high level points but nuking the filibuster is introducing an unknown chemical to a complex explosive reaction. It's simply not well understood or safe

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with lots of your high level points but nuking the filibuster is introducing an unknown chemical to a complex explosive reaction. It's simply not well understood or safe

I agree that it isnt safe and even though I believe the House of Representatives (if increased and distributed more fairly) would be a natural barrier against Republicans getting a trifecta, it is true that it is an untested theory that may be too soon to rely on (demographics). Still I see no choice here.

It is either this, getting nothing done, or using reconciliation to get around it, which is a roundabout way of doing the same thing as getting rid of the filibuster because they will wise up and do the same when they get a chance.

I believe what I am saying would force a significant change in the Republican party or they will remain irrelevant (especially in the House), only able to get the Senate. They will still be too right for my taste, but they wouldn't be far/alt-right as they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.