• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's the Obama association. Well that and older black voters. The other 2020 candidates would do well to run attack ads on Biden's past positions re: his 94 crime bill, his comments on busing, etc.
Also the fact that we're not even at the first debate stage

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obama started out popular but his approval rating dropped to the low 40s fairly quickly, just in time for both of his midterm elections.

Being moderate had nothing to do with it. In fact, Gallup polling in 2012 only found about 10% of the population that said Obama was too conservative, compared to 35% that pegged him as "just right" and 51% as too liberal:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/4729/presidency.aspx

The dip in Obama's popularity was mainly due to the sluggish pace the economy recovered at. In 2014 it was a coordinated hatchet job between the GOP and the media that sought to blame him for ISIS and the ebola crisis, which they conveniently stopped talking about the day after the GOP swept the Congressional elections in 2014.

Ideology does not matter to most voters, at least not as much as you think it does.
What I meant was that his base stayed pretty solid despite all that. There wasn't some massive party backlash like you seem to be suggesting will happen if Bernie can't deliver everything he's campaigning on. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you though.

Deleted member 10224

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is fucking amazing. Next generation of young politicians are so fucked lol Every tiny bit of pointless dirt is going to be dug up from their social media of when they were a kid lol Likes,retweets,shares,posts... Kinda scary, tbh. It's going to take a while for the country to get used to it.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't say I'm interested in a moneyless society. so I guess I can't support Beto.

Also Bernie got injured:

Deleted member 10224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he's going to announce he got around 3 million in 24hrs. When he was running in Texas everyone in the party was donating to him, now people have their own candidates.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's right about these things, but what are his proposed solutions? We are going to need concrete proposals. "Hope and change" isn't going to cut it a dozen years later. Primary voters are wiser now.
Obama was VERY specific about policy proposals in-between the hope and change rhetoric.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's right about these things, but what are his proposed solutions? We are going to need concrete proposals. "Hope and change" isn't going to cut it a dozen years later. Primary voters are wiser now.

He has pretty concrete proposals for ideas based on his Senate run.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He has pretty concrete proposals for ideas based on his Senate run.

I would assume that his positions (and proposals) will change for this run because the Democratic primary is much further left than Texas. Also baby bonds suck. It's an idea that has the same blindness to intersectionality that Sanders' proposals do; it tries to make the racial wealth gap into a purely economic problem with a purely economic solution.

Obama was VERY specific about policy proposals in-between the hope and change rhetoric.

There was a vast disconnect between Obama's vague slogans during his speeches and his actual proposals. He really should have ran on (incremental) Change.

Mustn't disrupt the system.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

I can see both interpretations of his words here. Even if his numbers were record-breaking I don't think he'd be flaunting them now, but his phrasing suggests otherwise.

It wouldn't shock me if the numbers haven't been great. There seems to be a weird groundswell around this guy for dubious reasons but we've yet to see any hard polling data that justifies it.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I would assume that his positions (and proposals) will change for this run because the Democratic primary is much further left than Texas. Also baby bonds suck. It's an idea that has the same blindness to intersectionality that Sanders' proposals do; it tries to make the racial wealth gap into a purely economic problem with a purely economic solution.

But you just watched a video where he said there are many things that contribute to the wealth gap......?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
His policies were a mix of republican and democratic to try to please everyone, and the right still made it their mission to fuck him over and undercut him at every opportunity.

It's why people like Biden and their "we just need to work with our republican friends and meet in the middle" messaging comes across as someone who learned absolutely nothing ( or *gasp* don't actually care about their progressive talking points) over the past decade. They don't want to work with you. They don't want to pay back favors. They don't care about the integrity of the system.

We need to go left and do as much as possible while the left has power.

Status
Not open for further replies.