• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I think the argument was that there are more poc working class families relative to overall share of the population.

Regardless, it can still be a dog whistle despite that.

Yes, it's like a 4% difference, hardly worth mentioning when people mention helping working class people. It's a classical dog whistle for white people.

As someone who cares about class consciousness, I would say the large problem is when Dems use the term working class to specifically mean rural white voters, which is just inaccurate in itself, most working class people live in cities and are minorities. The white rural vote is not a demographic that actually needs to be won over. Hillary tried that game in '08 against Obama and it didn't work.

See? That's PATENTLY untrue.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Dems almost never talk to working class voters IN TERMS OF their being the working class. They talk to working class POC voters plenty, but they tend to address them in terms of other demographic markers.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm not familiar with the Larsen case, but George Gage was convicted of raping his daughter in a he-said-they-said situation. Maybe the daughter (who attempted suicide) and the ex-wife (who testified that Gage abused them) lied, maybe not. Multiple courts looked over the decision. Gage failed to appeal properly and provided no reason for the conviction to be over turned beyond his ex-wife calling the daughter a serial liar in a different context, and Harris refused to reopen the case: https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/2818500/george-gage-v-kevin-chappell/

Kevin Cooper is a serial felon who escaped from a prison where he was serving time for iron-clad cases of rape and armed robbery (which he admitted to). Along his path, a family was brutally murdered, their vehicle stolen and another woman raped. Cooper admits he was hiding out right by the home and traveled along the vehicle's route at the specific time, but claims he hitchhiked all the way. Most everyone who looked at the case agreed the evidence was overwhelming. Harris's office refused to reopen the case twenty-plus years later or test DNA evidence, although Harris herself later urged the state to carry out the testing.

These are the two cases that I see cited most often as evidence for Harris's abuse of her position, and they're far from cases of clearly innocent people. Call it whataboutism, but there are far worse situations in the criminal justice system (and elsewhere) that I'm much more concerned with.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...so wait, that poll says everyone who knows about him hates him but he still pulls 3-7% anyway?
The lower right quadrant in my favorite graph? 3.8%.
figure2_drutman_e4aabc39aab12644609701bbacdff252.png
There is literally no electorate for an actual libertarian candidate

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The lower right quadrant in my favorite graph? 3.8%.

There is literally no electorate for an actual libertarian candidate
sure there isn't an electorate, but there might be enough of these dipshits to swing an election if enough Rural Whites come out of the woodwork again (assuming Schultz doesn't just kill his campaign well before ballots are printed)

is there an electorate for a gamer candidate?
only if they tell people to rise up

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

It's pretty clear that this is what Schultz wants. He wants trump to get reelected just like how Jill Stein wanted Clinton to lose. There is absolutely no reason to think that he wont run because just going by that poll alone he has a chance of preventing a democrat from getting elected to the presidency.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Trump hopes its Kamala. But not because he thinks he can beat her, but becuse she is a person of color. It is a racist tactic.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there actual evidence that there are a significant amount of people upset by her call for Franken to resign? That it will be an issue for her moving forward?
You don't want to look like the person who always needs to be first.

But that's why this is weird, because the VA NAACP, Harris, and Castro had already come out ahead of her.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You don't want to look like the person who always needs to be first.

But that's why this is weird, because the VA NAACP, Harris, and Castro had already come out ahead of her.
I mean.. is this an actual concern..? It's not like she's running on "I am the first person to call everything out" or even labeled as that?

I haven't heard any significant criticism of her that involves Franken.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean.. is this an actual concern..? It's not like she's running on "I am the first person to call everything out" or even labeled as that?

I haven't heard any significant criticism of her that involves Franken.
She was the first Senator to ask for Franken's resignation....by minutes.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
She was the first Senator to ask for Franken's resignation....by minutes.
I've still yet to see any reason for how this would possibly hurt her (Franken). Seems to me it's better than not at best and benign at worst. So I'm not following how this would impact her decision here.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've still yet to see any reason for why this would possibly hurt her (Franken). Seems to me it's better than not at best and benign at worst. So I'm not following how this would impact her decision here.
Because being the person who ALWAYS has to be the first to condemn someone is a really bad look. No one likes that girl/guy and being first out the gates here instead of letting other (nonwhite) candidates/organizations make the first calls here would play into that characterization.

But if this was deliberately softballing an initial response she overcorrected.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Because being the person who ALWAYS has to be the first to condemn someone is a really bad look. No one likes that girl/guy and being first out the gates here instead of letting other (nonwhite) candidates/organizations make the first calls here would play into that characterization.

But if this was deliberately softballing an initial response she overcorrected.
Except.. she's not first here, like you already said. All I'm seeing is a weak response and an excuse that isn't even being discussed or referenced in the real world. Like do we really think she was like "oh boy, I was first for Franken, and even though no one really cares, I better not be first for this one.. people really don't like firsts!"?

Calling for people to step aside for sexual assault and blackface/KKK costumes is not a competition. It's common decency, not a poor strategy.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except.. she's not first here, like you already said. All I'm seeing is a weak response and an excuse that isn't even being discussed or referenced in the real world. Like do we really think she was like "oh boy, I was first for Franken, and even though no one really cares, I better not be first for this one.. people really don't like firsts!"?

Calling for people to step aside for sexual assault and blackface/KKK costumes is not a competition. It's common decency, not a poor strategy.
Gillibrand's doing campaign events in New Hampshire today, which is probably why she hedged even though she didn't need to, as you're gonna be disconnected from twitter/news updates in the middle of those. https://cbs6albany.com/news/nation-...d-meets-with-young-democrats-in-new-hampshire This thing happened fast.

I'd be shocked if she doesn't escalate her response in the next 18 hours.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Gillibrand's doing campaign events in New Hampshire today, which is probably why she hedged even though she didn't need to, as you're gonna be disconnected from twitter/news updates in the middle of those. https://cbs6albany.com/news/nation-...d-meets-with-young-democrats-in-new-hampshire This thing happened fast.

I'd be shocked if she doesn't escalate her response in the next 18 hours.
I get that she hadn't seen the pictures yet, but what more context do you need to ask someone to step aside? A "if this is true, he needs to resign" is like, the fucking decent thing to do. Issuing a better statement is not going to hurt her in any way, it's going to help. And she should be criticized for not doing it.

No location or context is going to change that so we should just call it out for what it is, a weak statement with no excuse.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that she hasn't seen the pictures yet, but what more context do you need to ask someone to step aside? A "if this is true, he should resign" is like, the fucking decent thing to do. Issuing a better statement is not going to hurt her in any way, it's going to help. And she should be criticized for not doing it.
Issuing a resignation request first would have hurt her by playing into the Franken stuff. That's more a general issue with her personal history and not wanting to make it look like she has a pattern of always needing to be first. But on top of that Issuing a resignation request first before any black candidates or organizations first would have looked super bad. You really do not want to be perceived as that girl/guy stepping over those communities.

Given the timing (about 15 minutes after Harris' tweet) and the fact that this happened during a campaign event, there's a good chance she didn't know that Harris and the VA NAACP had come out for resignation and that she would have been avoiding problem number 2. It's weak. It can also be upgraded fairly easily with no consequences- if it's not relatively quickly, I would be very surprised.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Issuing a resignation request first would have hurt her by playing into the Franken stuff. That's more a general issue with her personal history and not wanting to make it look like she has a pattern of always needing to be first. But on top of that Issuing a resignation request first before any black candidates or organizations first would have looked super bad. You really do not want to be perceived as that girl/guy stepping over those communities.

Given the timing (about 15 minutes after Harris' tweet) and the fact that this happened during a campaign event, there's a good chance she didn't know that Harris and the VA NAACP had come out for resignation and that she would have been avoiding problem number 2. It's weak. It can also be upgraded fairly easily with no consequences- if it's not relatively quickly, I would be very surprised.
There is no significant evidence of this at all. If there is, please provide it. Why would it matter if a black candidate did it first? She's already getting blowback for being white and not calling for resignation, looking at PoliERA, among general criticism. This clearly hurts more than helps, if we're really gunna approach this from a moralless "political strategy" perspective.

Like how long is it gunna take for people to just stop making excuses and do the right thing? She didn't wait around on Franken so we should criticize her for hesitating here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no significant evidence of this at all. If there is, please provide it. Why would it matter if a black candidate did it first? She's already getting blowback for being white and not calling for resignation, looking at PoliERA, among general criticism. This clearly hurts more than helps, if we're really gunna go with "political strategy".

Like how long is it gunna take for people to just stop making excuses and do the right thing? She didn't wait around on Franken so we should criticize her for hesitating here.
8 minutes ago she put out an updated statement.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
At a public-facing campaign event? Her prior statement was put out 2 hours ago, likely in the middle of it. We anonymous internet people get to go offstage and look down at our phones. That's not how it's going to work for someone who's doing retail campaigning.
You're making a lot of excuses for someone who clearly took a loss here and released a poor statement. Like I said before.. what other context do you need for "dressed up in blackface or a KKK costume"? She knew enough to call it "disturbing". "if this is true, he should resign", done. It doesn't matter where she was, what she was doing, who she was with, whatever.

I mean this is pretty basic shit.

Jas

Oct 28, 2017
As was mentioned in the report for Gage's case, there was not much that could be done for him on the prosecutorial side. Everything that happened to him was a result of bullshit.

This isn't true, Harris could of rectified the wrong but didn't.

The prosecutors working for Harris defended the conviction. The appellate judge made a signal to Harris' office to dismiss the case, but she did not budge, and the conviction was ultimately upheld on a technicality. Today, George Gage is 80 years old. He is partially blind and he is dying, slowly, in a prison in California.

"I'm a big proponent of restorative justice," says Bazelon. "We are talking about a lot of people whom [Harris] has harmed, not directly, but by using her power to wield legal technicalities to cement injustices or, in some cases, just simply failing to live up to her responsibility to disclose evidence, for example, in the case of the crime-lab scandal in San Francisco."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/kamala-harris-prosecutor-record-2020-campaign.html

Afterward, the judge discovered that the prosecutor had unlawfully held back potentially exculpatory evidence, including medical reports indicating that the stepdaughter had been repeatedly untruthful with law enforcement. Her mother even described her as "a pathological liar" who "lives her lies."

In 2015, when the case reached the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, Ms. Harris's prosecutors defended the conviction. They pointed out that Mr. Gage, while forced to act as his own lawyer, had not properly raised the legal issue in the lower court, as the law required.

The appellate judges acknowledged this impediment and sent the case to mediation, a clear signal for Ms. Harris to dismiss the case. When she refused to budge, the court upheld the conviction on that technicality. Mr. Gage is still in prison serving a 70-year sentence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opinion/kamala-harris-criminal-justice.html

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I honestly think some of you are overreacting to Gillibrand's responses. I mean, it's not like she didn't express any contentious sentiments towards what happened, regardless if she outright called for the governor's resignation or not. Treating her as if she was defending him is just uncalled-for.

Status
Not open for further replies.