• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Last edited:

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with the Larsen case, but George Gage was convicted of raping his daughter in a he-said-they-said situation. Maybe the daughter (who attempted suicide) and the ex-wife (who testified that Gage abused them) lied, maybe not. Multiple courts looked over the decision. Gage failed to appeal properly and provided no reason for the conviction to be over turned beyond his ex-wife calling the daughter a serial liar in a different context, and Harris refused to reopen the case: https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/2818500/george-gage-v-kevin-chappell/

Kevin Cooper is a serial felon who escaped from a prison where he was serving time for iron-clad cases of rape and armed robbery (which he admitted to). Along his path, a family was brutally murdered, their vehicle stolen and another woman raped. Cooper admits he was hiding out right by the home and traveled along the vehicle's route at the specific time, but claims he hitchhiked all the way. Most everyone who looked at the case agreed the evidence was overwhelming. Harris's office refused to reopen the case twenty-plus years later or test DNA evidence, although Harris herself later urged the state to carry out the testing.

These are the two cases that I see cited most often as evidence for Harris's abuse of her position, and they're far from cases of clearly innocent people. Call it whataboutism, but there are far worse situations in the criminal justice system (and elsewhere) that I'm much more concerned with.

Dude, the Cooper case was literally the police making up and hiding evidence. There was no "overwhelming evidence". If you want to just give her a pass for letting someone sit in jail due to police racism, just say so. The cooper case had the head of the freaking bar association calling for his release in 2016 iirc. Like years and years of high profile folks specifically reaching out to her and her office.

Gage was literally a case of the police hiding evidence. He failed to appeal properly on a purely technical legality basis and not anything about the evidence in the case.

More on Kevin cooper since you are very very misrepresenting the case in your post

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...ooper-california-death-row.html?module=inline

As someone who has volunteered with the innocence project for years, even by our standards this shit is bad.

The issue isn't that she did this. It's that she went on her whole apology tour, didn't say a single thing about this (but talked ad nauseas about truancy), and all these folks who are so passionate about criminal justice when it comes to race are completely giving her a pass. It's not like any of us will vote for Trump anyway. But she's gotten a huge pass on this.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want to just give her a pass for letting someone sit in jail due to police racism, just say so.

I'll admit that my bias against rapists and child abusers makes it difficult for me to care about them possibly doing extra time.

It's that she went on her whole apology tour, didn't say a single thing about this

Harris has called for DNA testing in the Cooper case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sen-ka...mate-kevin-cooper-condemned-amid-controversy/

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Bernie's announcing soon.

TYT really did become the Bernie propaganda channel, were they like this in '16? He's being announced like he's a saint, not a politician. They ignore the fact that he is a person, that has made severe misjudgments in his past which could bite him like it did with Kamala Harris, his age is a real issue (naturally they don't say how how he is), that like Biden he had a history of losing national elections, framing criticisms bought up y the media as "smearing," focus on the policy making with him but not anybody else. Bernie isn't anointing shit, the brightest hope for the movement AOC is not in the running and we haven't heard a single mention of him doing this with anybody else because the dude's a loner. What gets me is who they're completely ignoring Warren, like she isn't in the conversation right now but then that's dilute their message that Bernie is the only hope progressives have and she's not pure enough - until the very end where she's the VP.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

TYT really did become the Bernie propaganda channel, were they like this in '16? He's being announced like he's a saint, not a politician. They ignore the fact that he is a person, that has made severe misjudgments in his past which could bite him like it did with Kamala Harris, his age is a real issue (naturally they don't say how how he is), that like Biden he had a history of losing national elections, framing criticisms bought up y the media as "smearing," focus on the policy making with him but not anybody else. Bernie isn't anointing shit, the brightest hope for the movement AOC is not in the running and we haven't heard a single mention of him doing this with anybody else because the dude's a loner. What gets me is who they're completely ignoring Warren, like she isn't in the conversation right now but then that's dilute their message that Bernie is the only hope progressives have and she's not pure enough - until the very end where she's the VP.
Yuuuup

Warren shit is some dumb sexism

Strike

Oct 25, 2017

The way they behaved during the primaries and hacks like Jimmy Dore turned me away from them for good.

Oct 27, 2017

Just a reminder that Bernie Sanders is actually a pretty good politician in some respects

Related to that McArdle's got a twitter thread praising Warren's political approach so far regarding M4A/taxation and has a pretty good general outline of why Harris's aides REALLY wanted to clarify her remarks. (this is not an endorsement of 100% of her Obamacare opinions/viewpoints as I would disagree/quibble on a bunch of points but I think her political/electoral framing is generally correct as to why that 75%-ish public option-> 50%-ish single payer gap is there.) https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1091397408502829057.html
That political/electoral frame is definitely worth keeping in mind, but I can mention a few additional points, that I think are also worth considering. Richard Eskow outlines some of the limitations of the specific set of talking points that were tested in the KFF poll, and these limitations he describes also apply to some of the erroneous assumptions & talking points used by McArdle:
[...] The poll finds that 56 percent of voters surveyed initially support "Medicare for All" and 42 percent oppose it, for a net favorability rating of +14 percent. When arguments in favor of Medicare for All are presented—it will guarantee coverage to all Americans and reduce out-of-pocket costs—net favorability rises to +45 percent. (KFF does not provide the raw numbers here.) Support reportedly falls dramatically when people hear arguments against the program. The problem, however, is in the presentation.

The pros, as presented, are understated. Medicare for All would not "reduce" out-of-pocket costs. It would eliminate them for all medical interventions, including hospitalization, surgery, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and doctor visits. The use of "reduce" suggests that any out-of-pocket savings would be marginal at best, which is not true.

The KFF survey told respondents that Medicare for All would "require most Americans to pay more in taxes." It did tell them that health insurance premiums would be eliminated, but failed to explain that the vast majority of families would pay considerably less in taxes than they currently pay in premiums and out-of-pocket costs. Many working Americans with employer-based insurance are unaware of how much is deducted from their paychecks in premiums, which also dilutes the impact of this question.

The survey told respondents that Medicare for All would "eliminate private health insurance companies," but it did not tell them why: these corporations add to the overall cost of health care without providing anything of value.

It gets worse. The pollsters then presented the statement that Medicare for All will "threaten the current Medicare program." While this is a common Republican line of attack, it is an openly deceptive one. Medicare for All proposals would expand and improve coverage for seniors and the disabled under the current program, by expanding the scope of services rendered and eliminating out-of-pocket costs in most cases. [...]
[...] Despite the survey's methodological flaws, Leonhardt uses it to conclude that Medicare for All is politically unfeasible. He suggests that Democrats embrace another plan instead: the Center for American Progress proposal (in Leonhardt's words from an earlier column) "through which any American, regardless of age, could buy health insurance" from the government.

There are serious actuarial problems with this approach, however. As has been seen with Medicare Advantage, the private-insurance option for today's Medicare, insurance companies are experts at "cherry-picking" healthy enrollees. (As some whistleblower cases demonstrate, they can also be expert at committing fraud.) This would create service problems for enrollees and financial problems for the government. [...]

It's true that the GOP (and centrist Democrats) will likely present these misleading arguments in much the same way they do. But why should Democrats tailor their platform to voters' reactions, when those reactions are based on a biased or one-sided set of arguments? An important proposal like Medicare for All should be subjected to public debate, so that the public gets a deeper understanding of its ramifications. That is, after all, why we have elections. [...]
Eskow writes: "An important proposal like Medicare for All should be subjected to public debate, so that the public gets a deeper understanding of its ramifications."

McArdle's analysis, for example, incorrectly assumes (like much of the public, no doubt) that M4A would have the same level of benefits as existing Medicare, but as Eskow notes above (and Sarah Kliff explains, below), the Senate M4A proposal (the proposal on which both the PERI economic analysis and the Mercatus economic analysis were based) would considerably expand and improve coverage, beyond both current Medicare and beyond a good many employer-sponsored plans [EDIT: indeed, beyond even the most generous Employer-Sponsored Plans, as far as I'm aware]:
[...] The plan is significantly more generous than the single-payer plans run by America's peer countries. The Canadian health care system, for example, does not cover vision or dental care, prescription drugs, rehabilitative services, or home health services. Instead, two-thirds of Canadians take out private insurance policies to cover these benefits. The Netherlands has a similar set of benefits (it also excludes dental and vision care), as does Australia. What's more, the Sanders plan does not subject consumers to any out-of-pocket spending on health aside from prescriptions drugs. This means there would be no charge when you go to the doctor, no copayments when you visit the emergency room. All those services would be covered fully by the universal Medicare plan.
The Sanders plan is more generous than the plans Americans currently receive at work too. Most employer-sponsored plans last year had a deductible of more than $1,000. It is more generous than the current Medicare program, which covers Americans over 65 and has seniors pay 20 percent of their doctor visit costs even after they meet their deductibles. Medicare, employer coverage, and these other countries show that nearly every insurance scheme we're familiar with covers a smaller set of benefits with more out-of-pocket spending on the part of citizens. Private insurance plans often spring up to fill these gaps (in Canada, for example, vision and dental insurance is often sponsored by employers, much like in the United States). [...]
And as mentioned earlier, private supplementary plans could still exist under the Senate M4A plan (as long as they don't duplicate M4A coverage), which is certainly something that could be emphasized, during the course of the primary and general election campaigns.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

This was probably already posted but this is a cute video and tweet. Maybe I am just too used to the nastiness of recent years of dem primaries.

Please god let Booker fizzle out, dude has serious issues

Jan 15, 2019

I've said it before, TYT does not necessarily align to ideology. They align to vague notions of being "anti-establishment." They will never offer a fair shake to anyone not named Bernie Sanders because they aren't really leftists, they're a media company that has bought very strongly into a marketing campaign.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I've said it before, TYT does not necessarily align to ideology. They align to vague notions of being "anti-establishment." They will never offer a fair shake to anyone not named Bernie Sanders because they aren't really leftists, they're a media company that has bought very strongly into a marketing campaign.

I wouldn't say that's entirely true. You're right when it was in '16 but since then they're been the force behind the Justice Democrats - that's why they cover her so much. She's as much their "mascot" as the JD's. I agree with your description of them being "anti-establishment" as a defining trait into how they act. It's a manifestation of Bernie's personage in media form. He has a talent for inspiring various political organisations who are devout followers of his teachers which he has no interest working with. Personally, I'd identify them as a certain kind of leftist which only has a heart for Bernie Sanders - and his acolytes, like Tulsi Gabbard.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, the whole point of watering down the M4A language is so you just use it regardless of your actual position lol

Jan 15, 2019
I wouldn't say that's entirely true. You're right when it was in '16 but since then they're been the force behind the Justice Democrats - that's why they cover her so much. She's as much their "mascot" as the JD's. I agree with your description of them being "anti-establishment" as a defining trait into how they act. It's a manifestation of Bernie's personage in media form. He has a talent for inspiring various political organisations who are devout followers of his teachers which he has no interest working with. Personally, I'd identify them as a certain kind of leftist which only has a heart for Bernie Sanders - and his acolytes, like Tulsi Gabbard.
Yes, let me rephrase. They're leftists, but secondarily. They are primarily anti-establishment advocates, even though in my opinion that doesn't really mean anything. For instance, Tulsi is objectively moderate. They don't care, because she is "Anti-establishment" first, and moderate second. Therefore, her being anti-establishment takes priority over her actual views.

And yes, I know they've quasi-caught up on the fact she's not so great. They haven't fully reformed themselves though.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Click-bait bullshit title.

He isn't opposed to it or even using the argument against it I thought based on the title. He said he doesn't want to promise something that he can't guarantee he can deliver.

An honest politician. I think I now have a new favorite in the race.

That's what Hillary said too, and people still rake her over the coals.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yes, let me rephrase. They're leftists, but secondarily. They are primarily anti-establishment advocates, even though in my opinion that doesn't really mean anything. For instance, Tulsi is objectively moderate. They don't care, because she is "Anti-establishment" first, and moderate second. Therefore, her being anti-establishment takes priority over her actual views.

And yes, I know they've quasi-caught up on the fact she's not so great. They haven't fully reformed themselves though.

I can agree with that.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Well, hey, she had a strong argument and supported it with some admirable policies. Can't deny being skeptical about anyone who is a 'spiritual counsellor' though.

There were some parts of her opinions I agree with, but from what I've seen I don't see her as anyone capable of making that happen were she elected. She still acts like she's a spiritual advisor, rather than transferring those skills to a political skill set - this was a skill Obama had - which transferred his abilities as a professor into a capable sounding politician speaking from a position of authority. Her passive delivery did not help for a leadership role in government, either. Theres nothing here I can't get from someone like Elisabeth Warren and Warren can back it up political experience and wonkery.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Click-bait bullshit title.

He isn't opposed to it or even using the argument against it I thought based on the title. He said he doesn't want to promise something that he can't guarantee he can deliver.

An honest politician. I think I now have a new favorite in the race.
My issue with this is that nobody is being dishonest in their stance on healthcare. Nobody is lying about their willingness to prioritize, pursue, and fight for UHC. A candidate being "honest" about his dismissal of M4A isn't really endearing in a field full of people who consider it a key policy issue.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
My issue with this is that nobody is being dishonest in their stance on healthcare. Nobody is lying about their willingness to prioritize, pursue, and fight for UHC. A candidate being "honest" about his dismissal of M4A isn't really endearing in a field full of people who consider it a key policy issue.
He wasn't dismissive. He backed the public option for the ACA. He clearly cares about UHC, he simply said he wants to focus on legislation he thinks we can get passed. We forget about the little thing called Republicans that'll fight tooth and nail to prevent many of these idealistic policies people have.

It's absurd to drag a guy for being realistic in his response. It would be so easy for him to just make pie in the sky promises. Respect for being pragmatic, Trump/Bernie approach of just overpromising is nauseating to me.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He wasn't dismissive. He backed the public option for the ACA. He clearly cares about UHC, he simply said he wants to focus on legislation he thinks we can get passed. We forget about the little thing called Republicans that'll fight tooth and nail to prevent many of these idealistic policies people have.

It's absurd to drag a guy for being realistic in his response. It would be so easy for him to just make pie in the sky promises. Respect for being pragmatic, Trump/Bernie approach of just overpromising is nauseating to me.

You mean Democrats, its Democrats who will be fighting tooth and nail against those policies because Democrats would have a trifecta, they own any stalemate and turd legislation they dish out under those circumstances.

None if those positions are "pie in the sky", it's the politicians that rail against it just cause, that make it so, because they want it to be.

It is why leftists "attack" both conservatives, liberals, and Democrats. They are aware most of the policies they want are feasible, its ideological differences in politicians that are in control desire it to be infeasible.

This isnt exactly true as some Democrats chant their support for M4A while twisting what M4A is, so they can be for it, but not single payer. M4A is single payer, but the term is being manipulated to include public options, so they can have their cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit that my bias against rapists and child abusers makes it difficult for me to care about them possibly doing extra time.

Harris has called for DNA testing in the Cooper case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sen-ka...mate-kevin-cooper-condemned-amid-controversy/

A) same - which is why I'd prefer they find the person who actually did it rather than keep someone in jail who didn't.

B) she literally ignored the pleas for two full years, and it took a full on NYT expose to shame her into it. She called for a DNA test after she wouldn't have to do it herself. She has not yet given any kind of actual answer for these moves, and no one seems to be pressing on it. She's 100% getting a pass.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is why leftists "attack" both conservatives, liberals, and Democrats. They are aware most of the policies they want are feasible, its ideological differences in politicians that are in control desire it to be infeasible.
Yup. Ideological differences that politicians hide using pragmatism. They'll agree with our overall goal, but will only try to do the most "practical" thing because it can get passed when in reality, that "practical" thing is what they wanted all along.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Ideological differences that politicians hide using pragmatism. They'll agree with our overall goal, but will only try to do the most "practical" thing because it can get passed when in reality, that "practical" thing is what they wanted all along.
lol, no.

So you think we can just come up with tax revenue and single-payer, etc, with no drawbacks to consider? It's just that politicians aren't willing to just simply vote?

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, no.

So you think we can just come up with tax revenue and single-payer, etc, with no drawbacks to consider? It's just that politicians aren't willing to just simply vote?
the point is that politicians who actually want a particular policy talk about it a different way. they try to sell the good points, get people on board, and constantly push toward it. the only political reason to say "well it'd be nice, but i'm not sure it's feasible" is because you don't actually want it to happen, because political feasibility is entirely based around getting the votes.

any democratic primary candidate who says that about single payer doesn't want single payer.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the point is that politicians who actually want a particular policy talk about it a different way. they try to sell the good points, get people on board, and constantly push toward it. the only political reason to say "well it'd be nice, but i'm not sure it's feasible" is because you don't actually want it to happen, because political feasibility is entirely based around getting the votes.

any democratic primary candidate who says that about single payer doesn't want single payer.

Or. OR OR you know, they talked with economists and statisticians in the CBO who literally run numbers for nearly every proposal, and the math doesn't work out without significant tax increases or drawbacks so profound it's not even worth it, or other less expensive options exist.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Or. OR OR you know, they talked with economists and statisticians in the CBO who literally run numbers for nearly every proposal, and the math doesn't work out without significant tax increases or drawbacks so profound it's not even worth it, or other less expensive options exist.
which means they don't want it to happen.

e. every study i've seen shows it costing the same or less than what we currently spend on healthcare for much better outcomes.

bic

Oct 28, 2017

I could very easily be confused and missing something here but wouldn't getting rid of the filibuster give far too much power to whichever party controls the Senate? If the Democrats are in power for infinity, that sounds great! But it seems short-sighted to assume Republicans wouldn't regain control at some point and just roll back any progress that was made.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could very easily be confused and missing something here but wouldn't getting rid of the filibuster give far too much power to whichever party controls the Senate? If the Democrats are in power for infinity, that sounds great! But it seems short-sighted to assume Republicans wouldn't regain control at some point and just roll back any progress that was made.
keeping the filibuster means nothing of consequence will ever pass the senate again. every single policy that every democratic candidate is running on is 100% impossible with it in place.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017

Bingo.

Without a filibuster the wall is being made and ACA is completely dead (since they aren't limited to budget reconciliation). The main argument to getting rid of it is that you can try to ram stuff down fast and hope it gets too popular to overturn. ACA survived because they couldn't fully change it due to being stuck to budget reconciliation rules. But as someone who is very wary of majority tyranny (as a minority who grew up in a conservative area), I think folks are being extremely short sighted when it comes to this. But that's just me.

Last edited:

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Even when all they needed was a simple majority the GOP couldn't fully repeal Obamacare because, it turns out, progressive policy actually helps people and is kinda hard to overturn in Congress once passed. And there's nothing stopping the GOP from nuking the filibuster themselves in the future anyway.

The status quo is utterly unacceptable and anything beyond the most minuscule of changes is never passing the filibuster in the foreseeable future. Anyone opposed to removing the filibuster is opposed to passing absolutely any progressive priorities.

Get rid of it, make (at least) DC and Puerto Rico states to stem the bleeding, and ram through as much legislation as possible. We can't go another whole decade where the only significant legislation to pass on any topic is a watered down, center-right approach to healthcare reform that was half assed to the point that it already needs to be revamped and readressed.

Keeping the filibuster guarantees complete legislative paralysis for at least another half a generation.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bingo.

Without a filibuster the wall is being made and ACA is completely dead (since they aren't limited to budget reconciliation). The main argument to getting rid of it is that you can try to ram stuff down fast and hope it gets too popular to overturn. ACA survived because they couldn't fully change it due to being stuck to budget reconciliation rules. But as someone who is very wary of majority tyranny (as a minority who grew up in a conservative area), I think folks are being extremely short sighted when it comes to this. But that's just me.

Anyone for keeping the filibuster is extremely shortsighted actually. Look at the demographic trends going on right now that isn't likely to change.

The House and presidency is becoming ever more untenable for Republicans to control as time goes on, at least, not in their extreme right state. The Senate gives more power to less people every year, therefore, it will primarily be the the part of government that holds back any legislation U.S needs.

Simply put, you and anyone saying "but we will wish we had it later" seem to not understand what "later" entails for U.S political system.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Once Democrats have repealed the Reapportionment Act of 1929 we'll never have to worry about losing the House or (probably) Presidency again.

Status
Not open for further replies.